• Published 23rd Jan 2014
  • 1,141 Views, 40 Comments

The Sudden Engagement of Rarity - lunabrony



A new alicorn arrives in Ponyville, spouting lies and nonsense. Twilight wants him gone. Immediately.

  • ...
6
 40
 1,141

Sour Apples

In the brief moments it had taken Twilight to interrogate Rarity and assure herself that the world was not, in fact, coming to an end, the mysterious alicorn had managed to give her the slip. This bothered her more than anything, as clearly there were shenanigans going on, and when such things threatened the imagery of her friends, that just didn't sit well with her. So Twilight rushed off into the crowd, desperate to track down the alicorn who was making such spectacle, and put him in his place.

In the meantime, all the way across town, somepony else happened to be making a spectacle of themselves, and it was rather painfully embarrassing to watch.

Applejack and her family had just spent the weekend making a small batch of cider. Small by comparison, in that it wasn't anywhere near Cider Season standards. Enough for a couple of weeks, dished out secretly among the family and a few close friends and relatives. Big Macintosh stood as intimidating as ever near the door of the farm, taking a brief moment to escape from the heat outside. There were always chores to do, and he didn't want to push his limits. He instead was keeping a close eye on the purplish pony who sat on a stool at the counter, approvingly testing the latest batch of cider which had recently been finished.

Applejack stood nearby, both amazed and alarmed at how much cider had gone into this pony.

"Dontcha think y've had enough there, Berry?" She asked kindly.

"You tell me when I've had enough!" Berry Punch slurred.

"Er... what?"

"I said... I'll tell you when you've had enough!" Berry said again, before rising from her stool and almost immediately falling on her face.

Applejack glanced at Macintosh, who moved from where he was standing and easily pushed her outside.

"Ya do know that's just regular cider, right?" Applejack asked.

"I can find my own way home, thanks..." Berry said, stumbling out towards the gate.

Frowning, the younger sibling looked to the elder. "Ya don't suppose she's sneakin' anythin' else in there, do ya? Ah'd hate tah get a bad reputation. Make sure she gets home alright."

"Yup," was the usual reply, and Macintosh set off after the questionable example of self control, while Applejack sniffed suspiciously at the mug Berry had been using. Nopony was gonna make a fool out of this farm, not on her watch. She especially didn't want anypony getting ideas that Sweet Apple Acres was secretly intoxicating its guests. That just wouldn't do at all.

Not finding what she was looking for, she prepared to head back out across the field when her eye was caught by a pony kicking one of the apple trees. Normally this was not unusual behavior, but judging by his obnoxiously bright coloring, he certainly didn't belong there.

It only took a minute or two to trot over to him, who Applejack noted with quite some surprise had both wings and a horn. By this time he had already succeeded in obtaining several apples, and was greedily munching one.

"Can ah help ya?" A kindly query, nothing unusual.

"Nah, just needed to find a quick bite. You know how it is," the stallion said. "I've been searching for a proper caterer for my wedding, but nothing seems good enough."

"Well congratulations on yer weddin', but these here apples don't belong ta you," she informed him. "We work hard to grow em and care for em, and that ain't easy. Now you didn't know, so ah'll letcha slide this time. But they ain't free."

"I'll keep that in mind, thanks," the alicorn said, while biting into yet another apple.

Applejack frowned. "Maybe y'didn't understand me, ah'd very kindly like ya to stop eatin' those apples, less of course you'd like to pay for em."

"No thank you," the stallion said, tossing a core on the ground.

Fuming, the country pony fought to keep her patience.

"Now just who do y'think y'are?" She asked.

"Bloodrayne," he said.

She paused at that. "Seriously?"

"Yes," he said. "My name's Bloodrayne."

"That's a terrible name. Who in the hay would name their colt that? And that still doesn't excuse you from stealin'!"

"I'm not stealing," the alicorn said. "You just said I was excused."

"For the first apple, after which ah very kindly explained the situation. The second apple just means yer dumb or itchin' for a rodeo, and ah don't think yer dumb."

"Very well, I'll get my fruit properly elsewhere. Sorry to trouble you," he smiled in a way that Applejack didn't like at all, and turned to leave. Applejack swept a hoof over the cores he'd left behind.

"Y'can at least clean up yer mess, y'know!" She said.

Bloodrayne smiled calmly. "I could. But I won't," he said, and walked away. Applejack threw her hat down on the ground, her eye twitching. Apple Bloom began to head in her direction, concerned by the direction the conversation had been going. The entire conversation with the alicorn had taken mere minutes, and it was still one of the most unpleasant encounters Applejack could ever remember having.

"Who was that?" The filly asked.

"That, Bloom, was trouble," she said. "And ah don't like trouble, any more'n ah like violence. There's only one way to deal with this," she said. "The most violently peaceful way to put an end to trouble."

Apple Bloom frowned. "You don't mean..."

"Oh, ah mean. You watch the farm for a bit. Go on and git back in the house, ah don't want ya talkin' to him. Ah'm gonna pay a little visit to the bakery."