• Published 20th Jan 2014
  • 5,294 Views, 83 Comments

The Prince and the Pauperess - Bluecatcinema



Prince Blueblood finds love where he least expects it.

  • ...
3
 83
 5,294

The Proposal

It was mid-afternoon in Canterlot, and Blueblood was about to say the most important words he would ever say.

"Dusty. We've been dating for over a year now, and our relationship has its fair shares of ups and downs. You made me feel things I had never felt before and made me into the stallion I am today. I can never thank you enough for never giving up on me and forgiving me for all my flaws." Blueblood stated proudly, as he got on his knees, and revealed a leather box with a diamond ring. "That is why... I would be the happiest stallion in the world if you would be my wife. Dust Speck, will you marry me?"

He presented the ring... to Caboose.

"Wow... I am flattered, Blue... but I really don't swing that way. I'm more of a colt who enjoys the companies of mares." Caboose chuckled.

Blueblood groaned.

"Caboose, you're not helping! All I asked was for you to pretend to be Dusty so I could get my proposal right. How hard is it to be a mare?"

"Oh, you wanted me to pretend to be a mare." Caboose realized, "I just thought you wanted me to be a pony shares the same name as my niece."

"I thought it would be implied-you know what, forget it." Blueblood groaned, "Could you at least tell me if I did it right?"

"Of course. You were great. I was moved... however, I think it would be better delivered if you used Dusty's middle name." Caboose explained.

"Middle name? Dusty has a middle name?" Blueblood asked.

"Yeah. Donut." Caboose stated proudly.

"Donut? As in Donut Joe's Donuts?" Blueblood asked incredulously.

"Yup. Dust Donut Speck. Dusty's mom let me pick the middle name." Caboose smiled.

"But why Donut?" Blueblood asked.

"Well, you see, I had a crush on this mare, a pretty pink Earth Pony. Pretty cute, too." Caboose reminisced, "Her name was Donut."

"Oh... so you named her after your marefriend, right?" Blueblood asked.

"Not exactly. As it turns out, Donut was a guy." Caboose frowned.

"Are you serious?" Blueblood replied in shock.

"Yeah. The pink color really threw me off. When I asked him, he was very insistent that he was a salmon, light red kind of color. Either way, that incident made me laugh so much that when Dusty was born, I gave her that middle name."

"But why did they let you pick the middle name?" Blueblood asked.

"Well, Dusty's mom, Sandy, always liked me, and she let me pick the name... Grimm and the others weren't so happy though." Caboose chuckled.

"I think I understand why." Blueblood sniggered. "Now then, I believe I will propose to Dusty after dinner."

"Wait, isn't Grimm coming tonight?" Caboose asked.

Dusty had received a letter earlier in the week, informing her that Grimoire and his brothers would be coming to meet the royal family.

"Yes, he is." Blueblood nodded.

"Let's just hope he doesn't break your legs for proposing." Caboose declared.

Thank you for putting that ghastly thought in my head." Blueblood groaned.

"You're welcome." Caboose smiled.

Soon after, Blueblood, Dusty, Caboose, Shine, Celestia (carrying Miracle), Mist, Luna, Gothic, and Constell were standing by as Grimm's carriage arrived, being pulled in by two fedora-wearing pegasi. A fedora-wearing changeling stepped up and opened the carriage. Grimm steps out.

"Daddy!" Dusty ran up and hugged her father.

"Ah, Dusty, so good to see you again." Grimoire returned the hug.

"Hello." Celestia stepped forward. "I take it you are Miss Speck's father, Mr. Napoleon?"

"Please, your majesty, Mr. Napoleon was my father." Grimoire chuckled. "You may call me Grimoire. Or Grimm, if you want."

"He also liked the name 'Bonaparte'." Caboose quipped. "That's a little in-joke, you see."

"Ah, Caboose, so nice to see you again as well." Grimoire chuckled.

"Hello, sir." Blueblood said tentatively.

"Blueblood." Grimoire nodded curtly. "How lovely to see you again. Been taking care of my little flower, right?"

"Like a delicate flower." Blueblood smiled.

"Good." Grimoire turned to Celestia. "It is an honor to finally meet you, Princess."

"The honor's all mine." Celestia smiled. "This my husband, Shine, my sister Luna and her husband, Gothic, their daughter Constell, and my and Shine's daughter, Miracle."

"Hi!" Miracle squealed.

"It's nice to finally meet you." Shine declared. "Caboose has told us a little about you."

"Thank you." Grimoire smiled. "I hope you don't mind, but I also brought some guests."

Murray and Grimoire's other brothers emerged from the carriage. The others were surprised by the many brothers.

"I take it Dusty and Caboose told you about my brothers?" Grimoire inquired.

"They did... but I didn't know there were so many of you." Shine admitted.

"We come from a big family." Grimoire declared.

Vinny glanced at Celestia, then wolf-whistled.

"Wow! That's the lady ruling this country?" He stared. "Dang!"

"Vinny! That's the princess you're ogling there!" Murray punched him. "Show some respect!"

"Hey, don't punch a guy for liking what he sees!" Salt interjected.

"Oh hush now, it's Luna that's worth ogling over here!" Lars pointed to the princess of the night.

"Would you guys all shut up?" Slot groaned. "Geez!"

"Uh..." Celestia mumbled, weirded out.

"Oh my..." Luna gulped.

"Do they always act like this?" Gothic asked Grimoire.

"To be honest, since our little brother left the nest..." Grimoire glanced at Caboose. "They don't really have anypony to vent to."

"Shut up, Slot, no one likes you!" Vinny yelled.

"YOU SHUT UP!" Slot shot back.

"YOU!" Vinny countered.

"YOU!" Slot retorted.

"You infinity." Vinny smirked cockily.

Slot growled petulantly.

"Let's move on, shall we?" Celestia said nervously. "Please, join us in the dining room. The servants will take care of any luggage you may have."

"Just so long as they don't open it." Salt frowned. "I've brought... private stuff with me."

"I thought I told you to leave it at home!" Grimoire hissed.

"I don't like to travel without it." Salt whispered. "Never know when it might come in handy..."

Shortly afterwards, everyone was in the dining room, eating dinner. Shine decided to ask Grimm and the others something.

"So... Mr. Napoleon..." He said hesitantly. "What is it exactly that your family does? Caboose hasn't been telling us anything."

"It's simple." Grimoire declared, as Blueblood and Dusty glanced at him warily. "I am the owner of a book publishing company in Bitaly. CEO, if you will."

"And your brothers?" Celestia asked.

"Security guard." Murray declared.

"Chef." Sonny smiled.

"Boxer." Salt smirked.

"Bank Teller." Lars added.

"Winemaker." Vinny nodded.

"Butcher." Slot said humorlessly. Everypony, including his brothers, glanced at him in shock.

"Excuse me?" Shine gasped.

"That's his stage name." Grimoire clarified. "He's a critic. Known for very harsh reviews. I keep tellin' him that he shouldn't use that name." He glared sideways at Slot.

"Well excuse me." Slot glared back. "I wanted to go by something that didn't make me sound like a pushover.

"Well, you can't." Grimoire growled, trying to not appear suspicious. "It would make ponies think you're a convicted felon."

"Well, I didn't always wanted to be a critic." Slot huffed. "I wanted to be a security guard."

"Tough." Murray smirked. "I picked that job first."

"Has anypony noticed we're using italics a lot?" Caboose asked innocently.

"Well, either way, thanks for the clarification... I think." Shine declared.

"So, how's Caboose been faring here as a guard?" Vinny asked. "I hope there hasn't been any 'incidents'."

"Oh no, Caboose has been a wonderful guard." Celestia smiled. "A bit eccentric at times, but he is a joy to have around."

The brothers looked at her incredulously.

"Really?" Murray asked. "No trouble at all?"

"He hasn't done anything 'bad'?" Sonny asked.

"Nope. Well, unless you can count the time he threw that cherry pie." Shine declared.

"Are you sure?" Salt asked. "I mean, he hasn't accidentally 'maimed' anypony?"

"Didn't burn down anything?" Lars added.

"Didn't gave away a priceless artifact to a pony that he thought was somepony else but turned out to be somepony different, and through a string of misunderstandings, end up shooting a friend with a cannon named 'Shelia'?" Vinny chimed in.

"That was one time!" Caboose groaned. "Can't you guys give me some credit? I don't cause mayhem wherever I go!"

"He's been just marvelous." Blueblood declared. "A welcome addition to the royal guard."

"If you say so." Vinny shrugged, as Caboose stuck out his tongue.

As they finished dessert, Grimoire suddenly stood up.

"Blueblood, could you walk with me, please?" He asked.

"Um, okay." Blueblood gulped.

Stopping only to share a worried glance with Dusty, Blueblood followed Grimoire into the hallway.

"Five bits says that Grim breaks all his legs." Murray whispered to Vinny.

"You're on." Vinny whispered back.

The royal family glanced oddly at them.

"Your uncles are a bunch of weirdos, Dusty." Mist stated.

"Yeah, but they're my weirdos." Dusty admitted.

After a short walk, they entered an empty room.

"I'm just going to cut to the chase." Grimoire declared. "I know you're going to propose to Dusty."

"What?!" Blueblood gasped. "How-"

"Caboose told me." Grimoire explained, "It's all he had been writing about for the last couple of weeks. He didn't bother to warn me in the letter."

"Stupid Caboose." Blueblood groaned. "I suppose you're going to break my legs, or worst, take care of me once and for all? Because I must remind you, there are guards only a scream away."

"No." Grimoire declared. He turned to face Blueblood, and to the prince's surprise, tears were welling up in his eyes. "I want to thank you."

"Pardon?" Blueblood said, shocked.

"You see, Blueboy, you remind me of myself when I was young. Rich, powerful, and could have any mare I wanted. Then, I met Dusty's mother… Sandstorm Speck… or Sandy during a small vacation to the palomino canals, and before I knew it, we fell in love... and she was pregnant with Dust." He sighed heavily, "I loved her more than anything… but when she died from a heart attack… a part of me died inside."

"I had no idea, sir." Blueblood empathized.

"When she died, all I had left in the world were my brothers, our 'family', and my only daughter. So I've forced myself to keep a straight and proud face for Dusty and my brothers' sake. My daughter's happiness came before everything else, and for a while, I thought it was only me and our family that could do so… but now, after seeing how happy Dusty was with you over the past months, I decided to venture out here, just so I could do this." Grimm then put his hoof on Blueblood's shoulder, "Blueblood, you have my blessing to marry my daughter."

"Wow… you really mean that, sir?" Blueblood asked.

"Cross my heart and on all my snitches' graves." Grimm chuckled, wiping his tears, "Being quite frank, I've always wanted a son… and I could not be happier to have you for a son-in-law."

"Oh, thank you." Blueblood smiled. "Shall we return to the others?"

"Yeah." Grimoire took a step, then turned back to Blueblood. "Just one more thing: If you tell anypony I cried, I will inflict serious bodily harm upon you. Capice?"

"Mm-hmm." Blueblood cringed.

"Good. I have an image to uphold, you know." Grimm smirked, much to Blueblood's relief. "Now, I believe you have a proposal to give to a special young mare."

The pair returned to the dining room.

"All his legs are still working." Murray whispered to Vinny. "Guess I owe you five bits."

Blueblood walked over to Dusty.

"Dusty, there's something I want to say to you." He declared.

"W-what is it?" Dusty asked, cowed by Blueblood's seriousness.

"Dusty. We've been dating for over a year now, and our relationship has it's fair shares of ups and downs. You made me feel things I had never felt before and made me into the stallion I am today. I can never thank you enough for never giving up on me and forgiving me for all my flaws." Blueblood got on his knees, and revealed the ring. "That is why... I would be the happiest stallion in the world if you would be my wife. Dust 'Donut' Speck, will you marry me?"

"Oh my gosh…" The brothers (excluding Grimm and Caboose) gaped, as they glared at Caboose. "You told him that stupid story?"

"Oh, Blue..." Dusty's eyes welled up with tears, such as her father's did, though he hid it well from his brothers. "Of course I will."

Everypony cheered in celebration as Blueblood placed the ring on a necklace, and levitated onto her, and the two kissed passionately.

"Way to go, Blueblood!" Shine cheered.

"Congratulations, nephew!" Celestia smiled.

"Yay!" Miracle gurgled.

"Well done!" Luna added.

"Never even saw it coming!" Caboose declared, playing innocent, "Completely out of the blue!"

Grimoire watched on with a prideful smile. Celestia walked to his side.

"You must be very proud of your daughter, Grim." She smiled.

"I sure am." Grimoire nodded. "I know Blueblood will treat her right. My brothers always wanted a nephew in the family, anyway."

"I'm sure." Celestia chuckled. "Though Blueblood might not be cut out for the Bitalian Mafia, don't you think?"

"Yeah, that is tr-wah-wah-what?!" Grimoire glanced at Celestia in horror. "Mafia?! Who said anything about the mafia?!"

"Oh come now, Grimm." Celestia smirked. "I have lived for millennia, and I've seen my share of mafias during that time; Enough to know a 'don' when I see one."

"Who told you?!" Grimoire asked.

"Caboose did." Celestia declared.

"He what?!" Grimoire gasped.

"Not intentionally, though." Celestia stated. "Your younger brother talks a lot in his sleep when on guard duty... and may I remind you, my sister has the ability to go into other ponies' dreams..."

Grimm glanced at Caboose and Luna, who were laughing.

"But do not worry, Grimm." Celestia whispered. "Your secrets are safe with us. I hold no quarrels with ponies who are honorable in their... 'escapades', and as long as no harm comes to Blueblood, you have nothing to worry about. I would love Miracle to still have her godfather when she's older."

"Stupid Caboose." Grimoire sighed heavily.

"This calls for something special!" Shine dashed off, returning with a bottle of cherry wine, and pouring it into everypony's glasses. "A glass of Dodge Junction's finest wine!"

Vinny took a sip... then gasped.

"My gosh!" He cried. "What is in this wine?! It's so good!"

"Thank you." Shine smiled. "A dear friend of mine made it. We have a whole cellar of it leftover from the wedding.

"Well then, I must know... how is it done?" Vinny asked. "What did this pony do to make this wine tastes heavenly?"

"No can do." Shine shook his head. "It's a trade secret that only he and I know."

"Come on, Princey!" Vinny begged.

"Nope. Lips are sealed." Shine insisted.

"Hey, don't make me have to make an offer you can't refuse!" Vinny said, peeved. "Or even show you what my 'private stuff' can do..."

"Vinny!" Murray elbowed his brother. "Don't threaten the prince!"

"Please forgive Vinny." Grimoire apologized. "He is rather passionate when it comes to wines."

"I know the feeling." Shine smiled.

Dusty snuggled against Blueblood's side.

"Sure you're ready for our two families to become one?" She whispered.

"As long as you're by my side, I'll be ready for anything." Blueblood chuckled, before pulling her in for another kiss.