• Published 20th Jan 2014
  • 5,292 Views, 83 Comments

The Prince and the Pauperess - Bluecatcinema



Prince Blueblood finds love where he least expects it.

  • ...
3
 83
 5,292

Repercussions

Night had fallen upon Canterlot. The tranquility of the dark sky was all that could be heard throughout the city and the castle... well, except for the giggles of a young foal.

Those giggles belonged to none other than Miracle, the daughter of Shine and Celestia, who had been born a month ago, as the little filly was deeply involved in a game of peek-a-boo with Dusty.

"Where's the foal... there she is!" Dusty played, revealing herself from behind her hooves, causing the young filly to laugh again.

Watching from the side was Blueblood, enjoying the innocent game his marefriend was playing with his goddaughter. The little foal had a way of worming her way into everypony's heart, and Dusty was no exception, falling in love with the filly within seconds of meeting her.

"It seems like Miss Speck and Miracle are getting along nicely."

Blueblood glanced to his right to find Celestia, coming in from a late meeting, smiling at the sight of her daughter laughing. "You have found a keeper, nephew."

The prince blushed. For the past three months that he and Dusty been dating, only Shine and himself knew about Dusty, but on the day Miracle was born, Blueblood had decided to tell Celestia, only able to say that she wasn't a noble before she went into labor. It was only a few days later that Blueblood had properly introduced Dusty to Celestia.

"Thank you, auntie." Blueblood smiled. "I will not lie, Dusty is different from all the past mares I dated... who knows, she could be the one."

"That would be wonderful." Celestia smirked, before her expression turned serious. "Blueblood... just how serious are you and Dusty?"

"Well...the thing is, Dusty and I are taking things slowly... and when I say slowly... I mean slowly." Blueblood shrugged. "Why do you ask?"

"I just want to make sure that you are careful." Celestia said. "Ponies of the Gazette are usually interested in our love lives, and given how you... are you..." Blueblood rolled his eyes. "There's no telling how they will react to you dating miss Speck here."

"Oh, I wouldn't worry about too much." Blueblood shrugged. "The press love me!"

"We'll see..." Celestia said ominously.

The next morning, the royal family were having their breakfast. Big Red and Cherry Jubilee had long since returned to Dodge Junction, and Twilight herself returned to Ponyville. For now, it was Shine, Celestia, Mist, Luna, Gothic, and Constell, with Miracle in her room. Things were peaceful for the most part… until Dusty suddenly stormed in.

"Blueblood!" She shrieked.

"Dusty, darling..." Blueblood turned to face her.

"Don't you 'darling' me!" Dusty pulled a copy of the Canterlot Gazette out of her saddlebag and slammed it on the table. On the front page was a picture of Blueblood and Dusty, with the headline "Prince's latest squeeze!"

"So, they finally found out about us." Blueblood noted. "Nice picture, though. Really caught my good side."

"It's not the picture that's the problem!" Dusty raved. "It's the article! Look at this: 'Prince Blueblood must have run out of high society mares to date if he's resorting to going out with one of the castle's serving staff. She's probably not complaining though. Who wouldn't want to be a trophy marefriend?' Trophy marefriend, me?!"

"You say that like it's a bad thing." Blueblood replied.

"Of course it's a bad thing!" Dusty yelped. "They're making me out to be some kind of gold digger or some floozie! I don't know what my friends are going to say when they read this! Not to mention I had paparazzi hounding me on the way to work this morning!"

"Oh, right." Blueblood said sheepishly. "But look on the bright side. A little fame might turn out to be a good thing."

"Good thing?!" Dusty asked incredulously. "Thanks to you and your need for attention, everypony out there is saying very awful things about me!"

Celestia, Shine, Luna and Gothic looked on uncomfortably.

"Now, hold on a moment!" Blueblood spluttered. "You're acting like I did this to you on purpose! It's not my fault those guys stuck their noses where they don't belong!

The others turned to look at Dusty.

"Well, now, I'm going to be hounded for the rest of my life, because of you!" Dusty shot back. "It's already bad enough that I'm just an Earth Pony living in a town filled with nobles!"

"Hey, for your information, you knew full well what you were getting into when you began dating me!" Blueblood told her.

"Well, maybe that was a mistake then." Dusty said quietly.

"Uh-oh." Shine whispered.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Blueblood demanded.

"You're right, I should had known better than to get involved with the prince that nopony likes." Dusty spat.

"Ouch." Gothic cringed.

Blueblood was visibly hurt by Dusty's comment.

"You know what, you're just being ungrateful!" He said petulantly. "You never liked keeping secrets in the first place, so this is actually a blessing that everypony knows! Maybe if you just stopped being a complete foal about this whole-"

Dusty slapped Blueblood hard, causing the others to gasp. A red hoof mark was left on his cheek. Dusty started tearing up.

"A foal, am I?" She hissed. "That's rich, coming from a spoiled brat like you."

Dusty stormed off, sobbing uncontrollably. Blueblood was left speechless, tears welling up in his eyes, as he rubbed his hurt cheek.

"Oh my, that didn't go so well." Luna remarked.

"That had to hurt." Constell whispered.

"I'll say." Gothic agreed.

"Gosh, she was madder than a bull in a field of red roses." Shine noted.

"More like Big Red when a timberwolf eats his cherries." Mist recalled.

"Blueblood... are you alright?" Celestia asked.

Blueblood choked down his tears.

"I just need to be alone for a while." He choked, walking off.

Blueblood trotted down the corridors of the castle for quite some time. Eventually, he decided to take a detour into Miracle's room, hoping that the little filly would cheer him up.

Miracle was hugging a fluffy bear in her cot. She smiled lightly as Blueblood approached. Blueblood placed his front hooves on the side of her cot, gazing dolefully at her.

"Oh, why do mares have to be so complicated, Miracle?" He despaired. "Why couldn't they be simple?"

"Oooo." Miracle cooed.

"I guess you're right. They wouldn't be mares if they weren't." Blueblood sighed. "You should had seen her, Miracle, she was so upset."

"Bah." Miracle gurgled.

"I honestly believed she was over-reacting." Blueblood declared. "I mean, your father didn't react that violently to being in the papers."

Miracle gave her godfather a flat glance.

"Good point." Blueblood nodded. "When it comes to Celestia, everypony rejoiced that she had found somepony to love. Me? I'm usually the butt of those guys' jokes. Am I really that unlikable that they dare not believe Dusty would love me?"

"Blup-blup." Miracle spouted.

"At least I have you." Blueblood smiled. "You don't hate me. You have always been the only mare I know that didn't know who I was back then... aside Dusty." He groaned loudly. "And now, I've lost her, too. Another screw up made by yours truly."

"Eee!" Miracle squeaked.

"If only if that was simple, Miracle." Blueblood chuckled sadly. "I can't undo what those guys or I said. We can't turn back time."

"Geep." Miracle cooed.

Blueblood's eyes widened.

"You're right, Miracle." He stood up straight. "I have to try. Dusty is the only mare that I have ever felt this strongly about. I can't give up on her. I need to set things right!"

"Uh-nu!" Miracle babbled.

"That's it!" Blueblood smiled. "I know what to do!" He kissed Miracle on the forehead. "Thanks for the pep talk, Miracle!"

As Blueblood dashed out of the nursery, Miracle giggled loudly.

Blueblood rushed through the castle, looking for Dusty. He found her in the kitchens, and judging from her expression, she was still steamed.

"Dusty!" He called.

"Go away." Dusty growled.

"Dusty, I'm sorry." Blueblood apologized. "I should have been more sympathetic. I'm so used to making news both good and bad, I didn't think what it would be like for you."

"No, you didn't." Dusty huffed.

"Furthermore, I am really sorry about calling you a foal." Blueblood continued. "I guess anypony in your position wouldn't be too happy about being called a 'trophy marefriend'."

Dusty's angered expression softened.

"Well, I didn't... really mean what I said about you being a spoiled brat, either..." Dusty admits. "I shouldn't had gotten so mad at you for something that wasn't truly your fault. I'm sorry, too."

"Forgive me?" Blueblood asked.

Dusty paused for a moment… before smiling, "Forgiven."

The two nuzzled each other.

"Well, this is all well and good, but the damage has already been done." Dusty sighed. "I'll never be able to show my face in town again."

"Worry not, my dear." Blueblood kissed Dusty on the cheek. "I'll take care of everything."

And on that enigmatic note, Blueblood left the kitchen.

The next day, as Dusty was making her way to the castle, she happened upon a nearby newsstand, and saw a Canterlot Gazette, but with a different front page. Curious, she glanced closely, and noticed an article retraction. It said:

We at the Canterlot Gazette would like to apologise to miss Dust Speck for our article yesterday. We did not mean to insinuate that she is only dating the prince for an improved social standing, or money. She is a good and decent mare, and we hope she can find it in her heart to forgive us for our slight.

Once again, at the castle, Dusty made her way to the dining room and placed the paper on the table while the others were eating.

"Did you do this?" She asked.

"Indeed I did." Blueblood smiled. "I called in a few favors, and had the editor print a retraction."

"Thank you." Dusty hugged Blueblood tightly.

"Well, I couldn't let my marefriend suffer like that." Blueblood chuckled. "I'm the one who brought you into the spotlight, so I should be the one who protects you from it."

"And I couldn't be happier." Dusty kissed Blueblood.

"Breakfast is becoming rather an eventful meal these days, isn't it?" Luna quipped.

"Well, at least those two got past the first hurdle." Shine chuckled, "Aside from the publicity, it should be smooth sailing for them here on out."

"Indeed." Celestia smiled, nuzzling Shine.