• Published 15th Jan 2014
  • 5,747 Views, 381 Comments

Goodnight Woon - lunabrony



Filly Celestia. Filly Luna. Stories of the past featuring Luna, Celestia and Discord. Grab your insulin, my friends. Diabeetus is coming your way. You want something life threateningly adorable? Look no further.

  • ...
9
 381
 5,747

Game of Pones (1/3)

The innocence of childhood far behind them, Luna had slept for the majority of the day. She'd taken to being up late at night until the early morning hours, but with Celestia holding court during the day and sleeping at night, she hardly ever got to see her sister anymore. Luna had woken up a few hours earlier than usual today, raising a hoof to shield her eyes from the early evening sun that was blinding her through the window.

"Time to go," Luna said to herself, and quickly shed her formal attire for what some might call a 'peasant' look. This merely meant her crown and hoofguards were left locked in her room. Still easily recognizable, but not on the clock. She made her way down to the courtroom, where the last few ponies with scheduled audiences were waiting. Ordinarily at this late hour the guards on either side of the door would not let anypony inside, so Celestia would have time to finish up her affairs. Luna, however, was saluted and waved right inside through the doors.

"Princess Luna, Princess Luna!" She was immediately met with the affectionate squeals of a young filly, who raced from the protective eye of her mother right up to the royal heir. A guard moved to intercept, but Luna waved him off.

"Well, hello, little one!" Luna said. "What brings you out here?"

"Mama's trying to get a loon," the filly said.

"Well she's certainly on the right track talking to my sister..." came the reply. "What does she wantday a loon for?"

"Her and daddy argue at night all the time. She says we don't have enough bits and might lose the house."

"That's awful!"

"Yeah, but she won't talk to me about it. I'm too little."

Luna patted the child's head, and rose to cut in front to where Celestia was holding court. Her older sister looked at her with mild annoyance. "Luna, I'm working."

"You're always working," Luna said. "Is this that childs mother?"

"Yes," the mare replied. "Did she bother you? I'm so sorry, I try to keep track of her."

"No matter," Luna said. "Give this mare the investment she wants. From my personal treasury."

Celestia and the mare's jaws dropped.

"You what?" Celestia gasped.

"I'm not using it," Luna said. "And I want words with my sister. See the guard on your way out, ma'am. He'll arrange the rest with me."

"Oh, thank you, thank you!" The mare laughed joyfully. "I won't forget this, Princess Luna! I won't! I'm going to tell everypony about your generosity!" The mare scurried off, child in tow.

Celestia turned on her sister, eyes softened. "Luna, what was that about? I've never seen you dip into your personal treasury before."

"And that's exactly the point!" Luna said.

Celestia frowned. "I don't understand."

"I never get to use my bits for anything!" Luna complained. "You don't know what it's like at night, when you're here on your throne. You're busy all the time, ponies line up out the door and around the corner just to talk to you! You get the best of everything, while I'm stuck sitting by myself all night! Sure, I get to chart the odd star or comet, but nopony ever comes to see me aside from the occasional drunk, but everypony sleeps through my night, and I work so hard on it!"

"Luna, I-"

"Whenever I'm out on the streets, it's always Celestia, Celestia, Celestia! I guess the moon just raises itself, doesn't it?"

Celestia placed a hoof on her sisters muzzle. "Luna, I had no idea. Honestly." She looked thoughtful for a moment. "Tell you what, I'm expecting a slow day tomorrow. Why don't you take the day shift? And I'll see what I can do for you about some proper recognition."

Luna's eyes watered. "You'd do that? For me?"

"Sure. I'll raise the sun in the morning, and you take the throne. It'll be a fun surprise to play on the guards, and I'll get a day off! I haven't had a day off in ages."

"It's a deal," Luna said, beyond relieved. "I was worried you'd have forgotten all about me, since you're always too busy to talk to me anymore."

Celestia looked hurt. "Now, sister, you know that's an exaggeration. We can't spent every moment of every day together like we did when we were younger, we have responsibilities now. I'm sorry you feel that way, but dawn and dusk are truly the only compatible hours we have. I would never forget you." She paused. "Who are you again?"

"Very funny," Luna said. "It's agreed then. We switch roles for a day. It can't be that hard, and I do so look forward to mingling with the townsponies and listening to their stories! So in the morning, I'll take the hotseat. Oh!" She exclaimed. "I made a funny, Celly!"

Celestia snickered. "So you did, LuLu. So you did."

Author's Note:

This was the chapter that broke me onto the front page for the very first time. Thank you all for everything.