• Published 5th Dec 2013
  • 4,409 Views, 90 Comments

The Purest Amethyst - BOM



Equestria is enjoying a time of peace and prosperity. The newly reunited Sisters rule without question and the Elements of Harmony protect the land from any and all evil. But dark forces lurk in the shadows, hidden from sight… Plotting. Durin

  • ...
13
 90
 4,409

Chapter Three

The streets of Canterlot had turned into a scramble of shouting ponies and panic. Ponies were running into their homes or any building that would take them in, baring the doors and shuttering the windows. Those unicorns powerful enough cast up tiny force fields around their homes, encasing themselves in technicoloured domes. These don’t look anywhere near as resilient as Twilight’s. Sweetie Belle thought back to the force field Twilight had conjured to keep the Crusaders out of the library during their time as Gabby Gums. That one had seemed like nothing short of an Ursa Major would break it, these seemed pitiful by comparison. Sweetie Belle caught up to her friends who had trotted on ahead seemingly unfazed by the changeling army waiting beyond the city sized bubble.

“This has to be one of ya’ best ideas ever Scoot,” Apple Bloom congratulated the Pegasus with a pat on the back.

“I know right I mean it’s so obvious.”

“Cutie Mark Crusaders Changeling hunters! Yay!” the three fillies shouted in unison.

As they finished their cry the shield encasing the city shattered. Sweetie Belle looked towards the heavens, shards of magic fell from the sky, some dissipated their magical energy disappearing into nothing; but most continued to fall onto the city. Sweetie Belle grabbed her friends, their compelled faces not being able to turn away from the spectacle happening above. She smacked her friends once each across the face to snap them out of their daze.

“We have to get to cover,” Sweetie Belle yelled. She looked around for shelter, spying a small supply wagon. She pointed it out to her friends.

“Under there.”

The three fillies galloped as fast as their legs could carry them making it under the wagon just as the first shards of magic impacted. Sweetie Belle looked out onto the street as a piece of the purple shield landed where the Crusaders had been standing just moments ago. It smashed into a thousand smaller shards that span off in all directions. When the glitters crashed into one another they exploded sending out violet beams of magic. One of the trails shot straight in front of Sweetie Belle burning the ground to a crisp not two inches from her muzzle. Maybe we shouldn’t have left. Looking back up to the sky Sweetie Belle saw a sea of green descending upon them. She huddled close to her friends and they responded in kind. The storm of Changelings caused an empty feeling to well up inside Sweetie Belle, her eyes went wide and she couldn’t stop looking at her oncoming doom.

Time seemed to slow down just so she could contemplate how this was the end. The flood gates had opened and all sense of hope was quickly washing away, being replaced instead by dread, dread that she would never laugh again, never play with Apple Bloom or Scootaloo, never see her sister again. A chill was creeping up Sweetie Belle’s spine. She was alone in the dark. The cold reached the tip of her tail and moved down her legs. Nopony would be able to hear her cry for help. The cold froze her veins.

“SWEETIE BELLE!” All joy had left her. The frost was creeping up to her heart.

“SWEETIE BELLE!” Her eyes started leaking, the cold licked her soul.

“SWEETIE BELLE! COME ON THIS ISN’T FUNNY! SWEETIE BELLE!” That voice seemed familiar, like she had heard it a long time ago. “SWEETIE BELLE WE HAVE TO GO NOW!” A small speck of light appeared in front of Sweetie Belle. On instinct she reached out and grabbed it.

Sweetie Belle woke up to find Scootaloo shaking her. Looking up at the orange Pegasus, Sweetie Belle could see a well of tears under her lavender eyes. Her ears were flat against her head, a look of desperation painted on her face. Behind her sat Apple Bloom, her lips were trembling and the corners of her eyes were leaking.

“Thank Celestia.” Scootaloo took in a deep sniff and wiped her muzzle with her hoof. “Come o-on we have to get out of here,” hiccupped Scootaloo as she wiped away the wet left in her eyes.

They were still under the wagon. Sweetie Belle looked out to the streets, the road was littered with black craters, clouds of smoke rising from the crisp charred ground. The Changelings had landed, their black coats glistened in the sunlight. One group was ramming against a bubble shield; another Changeling was cocooning a mare in green light woven from its horn. Ponies everywhere were being terrorised by their cackling adversaries. Sweetie Belle turned to her friends. Their faces were wide eyed with fear and Sweetie Belle was sure hers was a mirror image. Gathering her courage, Sweetie Belle moved to the other side of the wagon, looking for any possible escape route. Looking from left to right all she could see were changelings and chaos. Spying a small alleyway next to a trinket shop, Sweetie Belle’s eyes lit up for the first time in what seemed like an eternity.

“We have to get to that alley.” Sweetie Belle tried her best to mask her fear with boldness but she didn’t think it worked that well.

“Down there yu’ crazy,” Apple Bloom whimpered.

“Yeah there’s like a thousand Changelings in between us and it, how we gonna get there?” Scootaloo looked at Sweetie Belle as if begging for an answer.

“Well we can’t just stay here.”

“So you just want us to run across a street filled with monsters and hope they won’t get us?”

“I-I-” Sweetie Belle was almost in tears, she closed her eyes to hide this from her friends.

“No, Scootaloo, she’s right!” Sweetie Belle opened her eyes to see Apple Bloom comforting Scootlaoo with a hoof.

“If we stay here they’ll find us, at-at least if we make a break for it then we have a chance.”

“Hay, you never know maybe we will get our cutie marks in running,” Sweetie Belle added with a small laugh.

Her two best friends stared at her for a second, then each had a small giggle too. The mood lifted, if only for a second, giving Sweetie Belle hope that they would all make it out of this together.

“Cutie Mark Crusaders running away from monsters,” prompted Apple Bloom.

“Cutie Mark Crusaders running away from monsters yay,” echoed Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.

Sweetie Belle hugged Scootaloo and Apple Bloom with all her might and they returned the gesture in kind. The three fillies sat there for a moment. Her friends’ warmth filling Sweetie Belle up with courage. As the three broke apart Sweetie Belle could see that what had been fear on her friend’s faces moments ago had been replaced by determination.

Sweetie Belle looked back to the alley way scouting the area for Changelings. They were still running amok and there seemed to be no way to sneak past them.

“Oh horse apples we are just gawna have to run past them’all aren’t we.” Sweetie Belle admitted she couldn’t see any other way than just a mad dash for the alley.

“Go on three?” Suggested Scootaloo.

“Go on three,” concurred Apple Bloom.

Sweetie Belle huddled closer to her friends so their flanks were touching. Scootaloo put a hoof over her shoulder and gave her a small squeeze. The three fillies prepared themselves.

“One,” started Apple Bloom.

“Two,” Scootaloo’s voice gave a small crack as she spoke.

Scootaloo removed her hoof from Sweetie Belle and they braced themselves for the run of their lives.

“Three,” finished Sweetie Belle.

With that she ran out from the wagon in silence, she didn’t want to attract any unnecessary attention. Sweetie Belle dodged round a lamp post almost bumping into a Changeling but managed to break in time to veer round the monster. She looked back to see her friends were just moments behind her so she pressed on. The alley was just seconds away. Sweetie Belle saw a straight path to the entrance and without another thought took it. She galloped faster than she ever had before. She had made it, pausing for a moment to take some much needed gulps of air Sweetie Belle turned to look for her friends. Apple Bloom was in front and just behind her was Scootaloo but they had added another member to the group. A Changeling was in hot pursuit of the orange Pegasus, its turquoise eyes lustfully eyeing its prey, its two daggered fangs snapping at her tail. Apple Bloom stopped mid run, lowered her head to the ground, bent her two forward legs and braced herself. As Scootaloo passed her the changeling switched to new prey who stood there offering themselves to the drooling beast. Just as the Changeling was on Apple Bloom she kicked her hind legs out and gave the Changeling’s face a good old fashioned apple buck. The Changeling recoiled from the surprise attack and let out a piercing wail. This drew the attention of five more Changelings who noticed the two fillies running for the alley.

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom were mere feet from the entrance when a Changeling landed in front of them blocking their path. The two fillies stood perplexed as the creature powered up its horn. Sweetie Belle looked at her own horn. But I can’t use magic. She felt helpless, there was no way to help her friends but she refused to leave them. Out of instinct more than rational thought Sweetie Belle lowered her head forming her body into a lance, she scraped the earth with her hoof unsettling the dirt. Then charged. Letting out a scream as she did so Sweetie Belle smashed into the back of the Changeling sending the beast flying over her friends heads and crashing into the wagon that they had been cowering under not so long ago.

“We need to go now!”

Her friends looked startled as their foe had suddenly been replaced by Sweetie Belle. They didn’t need to be told twice though and the three of them ran for the alley with five unwanted guests on their tails. As they ran as fast as their legs could carry them Scootaloo turned to Sweetie Belle.

“That was brilliant what you did!”

"Thanks just never tell Rarity.” The Pegasus chuckled at that and despite their situation Sweetie Belle couldn’t help but smile too.

How can I be worried about my sister finding out about using my horn that way when I have five changelings chasing me! Priorities Sweetie Belle, make it out of here then worry about Rarity.

Sweetie Belle was finding it difficult to see too far ahead as the alley covered the path in a blanket of shadow, but she kept running. She ran as fast as her little hooves could carry her and then she ran some more. Sweetie Belle dared to turn her head and instantly wished that she hadn’t. The Changelings eyed the fillies as a Diamond Dog would eye the Canterlot vaults, their mouths foaming with hunger, their eyes wide and savage. The worst part however was that they were catching up. Sweetie Belle returned her full attention to the path ahead, only there was no path. A house had collapsed blocking the filly’s route, its debris towering over them like a barred gate. Apple Bloom was frantically trying to climb over the mountain of wood and stone slate whilst Scootaloo buzzed her wings till they were a blur; both to no effect. Sweetie Belle looked for a door or window that they could use, but there were no doors and there were no windows on the ground floors.

Sweetie Belle closed her eyes and screwed up her face in concentration. Right, remember what Rarity said: focus on the object. She picked a wooden plank amongst the debris. Direct my energy to my horn. Sweetie Belle took in a deep breath and channelled all her might to her horn. And imagine I’m picking it up with my hoof. Sweetie Belle imagined a hoof clutching the plank and tried to lift it. Nothing happened. Sweetie Belle groaned as she screwed her face tighter and tighter unable to lift up the plank. Letting go she burst into tears, the wet from the eyes washing away the sweat glistening on her white coat. Sweetie Belle was joined by Scootaloo and Apple Bloom, the three fillies turned to face their pursuers. The Changelings had stopped, standing there eyeing the ponies and savouring the feast to come. Sweetie Belle wrapped her hooves around her best friends and they hugged her back. Sweetie Belle could feel Scootaloo shivering in fear, it proved contagious and soon Sweetie Belle joined in.

“Y’all stay back now,” Apple Bloom yelled at the Changelings.

They cackled in response apparently amused at her attempt to scare them. Apple Bloom’s courage was fading fast.

“Whe-when my big sis’ finds out ‘bout this y’all be sorry.”

The Changelings burst into fits of laughter, their amusement putting hyenas to shame, but never taking their eyes off the fillies. The largest of the pack, who donned an armoured helmet on its head, moved forward; his horn busting into a green blaze. In turn each Changeling lit up their own horns whilst moving upon their prey. Sweeties Belle felt a familiar empty feeling well up inside her as if all love had been sucked out of her. Her friends grips loosened, their eyes flickered open and closed, with each blink it seemed more colour was being drained from their eyes. Sweetie Belle looked to the Changelings, they hadn’t approached the fillies any further and stood several feet away. Their horns still shone a hideous green. Are they chewing? From where Sweetie Belle sat the Changelings seemed to be chewing greedily on an invisible food their eyes wide with delight. Sweetie Belle looked at her friends’, then to the Changelings, at her friends and back to the Changelings the horrible realisation dawning on her. Her feeling of emptiness intensified the more vigorously the Changelings chewed, saliva dripping down their chins.

A shattering sound broke Sweetie Belle away from the hypnotic doom in front of her. A shower of glass pitter pattered onto the ground followed closely by a purple figure. As the figure landed they planted a solid fist into the head Changeling’s face. The force took the Changeling to the ground, all the others jumped back, their horns returning to their normal colour. Free from the spell, Sweetie Belle could see clearly; the figure was no taller than she was, purple scales shone on its back and pointed tail, small green fins ran from the middle of its tail all the way up their back. The figure turned his head to face the three fillies.

“You three ok?” Spike asked.