• Published 5th Dec 2013
  • 4,413 Views, 90 Comments

The Purest Amethyst - BOM



Equestria is enjoying a time of peace and prosperity. The newly reunited Sisters rule without question and the Elements of Harmony protect the land from any and all evil. But dark forces lurk in the shadows, hidden from sight… Plotting. Durin

  • ...
13
 90
 4,413

Chapter Eight

“Wait, come back, let me take your glass!” Sweetie Belle yelled after a blue stallion who wore a suit and monocle.

Sweetie Belle swayed as the weight of all the delicate tableware balanced precariously on her head, almost caused her to topple. She and the other Crusaders hadn’t been having much luck with waitressing. Any time they arrived at a table the occupants always seemed to leave.

“Y’all having any luck?”

“Nah, nopony wants my help.” Scootaloo had already succeeded in breaking every plate, bowl and glass she had tried picking up.

Turns out that zooming around on a scooter was not a great strategy for waitressing. Sweetie Belle turned to face her fellow Crusaders.

“Come on girls let’s wait just a few more tables”

“Fine,” Apple Bloom groaned, “but we’re moving onto music next, ‘k?”

“Yeah, I’ve got an awesome new solo I want to try.”

“CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS GUITAR PLAYERS YAY!” The three fillies hoof bumped.

“Um, excuse me.”

Sweetie Belle turned in the direction of the barely audible whisper. Her heart skipped a beat. Standing in front of her, was Spike. The purple dragon was wearing a smart tuxedo with an adorable red bow tie, his top hat was as tall as Sweetie Belle and it looked utterly ridiculous, but its goofiness somehow worked for him.

Sweetie Belle had about a thousand and one things she wanted to say to the purple dragon, some of them not too kind, but her tongue felt like was glued in place.

“Y’right Spike, enjoying the scenery?”

Sweetie Belle sent a glare at Apple Bloom, her ‘friend’ hadn’t stopped teasing her all week about Spike.

“I-I’m fine, thanks Apple Bloom.” Spike was fiddling with his claws and wouldn’t take his eyes off the floor.

Gaining some courage he actually managed to look at Sweetie Belle, but his claws were fidgeting faster than ever.

“Hey Sweetie Belle I-er really like your mane.”

The sudden compliment took Sweetie Belle quite off guard and she continued to stand there in complete silence. She could hear Apple Bloom giggling behind her. Note to self, tease Apple Bloom about Rumble later.

Spike composed himself, he stood up tall and offered out a shaking claw.

“I was just wondering, you know if you wanted to, have a dance?”

Sweetie Belle’s heart jumped out of her chest, went back in and then jumped out again. She felt like doing a back flip, a summersault and bursting into song. But instead she just stood there utterly perplexed.

An awkward silence fell on the small group, Spike’s claw still outstretched. Scootaloo broke the silence, driving right up into Spike’s face and began yelling at him.

“As you can see we are in the middle of some major, extreme Crusading!” Scootaloo was going red in the face, “and even if we weren’t, why would Sweetie Belle want to dance with a gross boooy?”

Spike was cowering under Scootaloo’s scrutiny and looked like he was quickly regretting his decision. Part of Sweetie Belle couldn’t help but think he deserved Scootaloo’s tantrum. He has been avoiding me all week… but he’s here now so maybe I should give him a chance… oh what should I do? Apple Bloom gave her leg a light nudge.

“What yu’ waitin’ for?”

“It’s just,” Sweetie Belle whispered to Apple Bloom, “he’s been avoiding me all week, how do I know if he likes me?”

“Of course he likes yu’.”

“But how can you tell?” Asked Sweetie Belle, desperately hoping Apple Bloom would have an answer.

"Cos’ he’s been avoidin’ yu’.” Sweetie Belle gave Apple Bloom a ‘what?’ face. “Look boys are stupid, so if he’s been avoidin’ yu’, it means he really likes yu’.”

“Really?” asked Sweetie Belle.

“Really,” confirmed Apple Bloom, “now go have a dance.”

Sweetie Belle gave her friend the biggest smile before trotting over to Scootaloo and Spike. Scootaloo was still grilling the dragon about how goofy his hat looked and he looked close to running for the hills. Sweetie Belle silenced her friend with a gentle tap on the shoulder.

“Um Spike, I’d love a dance,” Sweetie Belle practically whispered.

Scootaloo turned to Sweetie Belle in utter shock, revealing Spike’s eyes which were sparkling in delight.

“But what about our Crusading?” whined Scootaloo.

“You two go on I’ll catch up with you later.” Sweetie Belle placed the tableware on the floor and moved over to stand next to Spike. He offered out his arm and Sweetie Belle’s hooked her leg around it.

Together, they walked over to the dance floor.

“Quit starin’ Scoot.” Sweetie Belle heard Apple Bloom smack Scootaloo behind the head.

Sweetie Belle was opposite Spike. The two stood there unsure how to start. Making it all the way to the dance floor had seemed like a journey in itself and now that they were here, they both seemed to have lost all their confidence.

As the music increased in tempo, Spike began tapping his foot to the beat. Sweetie Belle copied Spike’s action, stomping her hooves to match the music. Soon each of them were moving their whole bodies; letting go of all their cares and dignity. Spike moved in closer to Sweetie Belle throwing his arms around uncontrollably. The sight made Sweetie Belle burst into laughter as the baby dragon made a complete fool of himself.

Sweetie Belle moved to Spike’s side and began bumping her flank against him. Spikes’ cheeks turned positively crimson but he continued to dance, bumping against Sweetie Belle in return. Sweetie Belle couldn’t remember the last time she had had this much fun, sure she had loads of fun with her Crusader friends, but this was different. This was a sensation she had not experienced before. Dancing here, with Spike, made her feel like she would always have someone there: there when she succeeded, there when she needed a boost and there just because they wanted to be there.

Recovering from her daydream the music changed to a far slower song. All the couples sitting down got up and each pony nuzzled up to their partner, preparing to dance. Spike took hold of each of Sweetie Belle’s front hooves lifting her up so she stood on her hind legs. Spike rested one of Sweetie Belle's hooves around his neck and slid his free arm around her waist. Every hair on her body stood on end. Her heart was beating so fast, she felt like a sonic rainboom would explode out of her chest.

“Spike, I don’t know how to dance like this,” whispered Sweetie Belle nervously.

“Don’t worry I’ll do all the work.” Spike gave her hoof a reassuring squeeze.

Sweetie Belle rested her head on his shoulder closing her eyes.

“I trust you.”

Spike moved to the music pulling Sweetie Belle in closer. With every step Sweetie Belle felt more comfortable in Spike’s arms. She could feel his warm breath against her neck, it washed over her like a sunny afternoon breeze. She felt as light as air, gliding along the dance floor as Spike gently guided her on an adventure, the likes of which she had never experienced. She pressed up against Spike’s chest, the warmth radiating from him melting her heart. She gave Spike’s neck a nuzzle, feeling like she could stay here forever.

The song ended far too quickly and Spike let Sweetie Belle return to the ground. The two of them continued to dance long into the evening, laughing and joking as each one tried new and extremely embarrassing dance moves. Sweetie Belle didn’t want it to end, but there is only so much dancing even an energetic filly like her can take. The two of them made their way over to a free table, Spike poured each of them a glass of cool crisp water.

“You’re a really good dancer Sweetie.” Sweetie Belle blushed at the nickname. Other ponies had called her that but it was somehow different coming from Spike.

“Thanks, what was that dance?”

"Which one?”

“You know, when I was just on my hind legs.” Just thinking about it made her heart flutter.

“I don’t know, it just felt right, holding you like that.” Spike sipped his water seemingly embarrassed. “We don’t have to do it again if you didn’t like it.”

“Oh no, Spike. I didn’t mean that at all.” She touched his claw with her hoof. “It was… nice.”

“Just nice,” Spike queried.

“Spike,” the baby dragon looked into her eyes, “it made me feel like the most special pony in the whole world.”

The air between them became electrified as they gazed into each other’s eyes. Sweetie it, feeling like she would be very happy losing herself in those two gleaming emeralds.

Her body acting completely of its own accord, an invisible force pulled the two of them together. She and Spike leant in, as if they were opposite ends of a magnet. Sweetie Belle’s lips felt very dry all of a sudden as a million thoughts raced through her head all at once. How’s my hair? Did I put on too much perfume? My breath! How’s my breath? I knew I should have brushed one more time. Spike was so close now she could feel his warm breath on her face. Closing her eyes Sweetie Belle leant into Spike.

Before they met, she felt a light pressure on her horn. Opening her eyes, Sweetie Belle flinched back in surprise as an oversized head ware balanced itself on the end of her horn. Spike was adjusting his oversized top hat, which had fallen forwards onto his face. His cheeks were a shade of red Sweetie Belle hadn’t even believed was possible and her cheeks felt as hot as a furnace.

“You know I’m surprised that goofy thing didn’t fall off when we were dancing,” Sweetie Belle laughed.

Giving up on resetting it, Spike took his hat off and looked down at it.

“You think it looks goofy?” Spike queried.

“Well yeah,” She giggled. “I mean, it’s so big it barely fits on your-” Sweetie Belle was interrupted by said hat being pushed onto her head. The hat was too big and slid forward so it was covering her eyes. Spike was in fits of laughter.

“You’re right it does look goofy.” Sweetie Belle shook the hat off her head and attempted to stare down the dragon. She failed miserably as her stare only egged him on, causing him to laugh even harder, his chair rocking back and forth. It proved contagious and Sweetie Belle was soon laughing too, imagining how silly she must have looked.

“You know Sweetie Belle, I’ve had a really nice time tonight.” Spike had recovered himself and was fiddling with his claws again.

“Me too, Spike.” Sweetie Belle felt her cheeks getting hotter by the second, “and I barely did any Crusading.” The pair of them giggled at that.

“Spike! Spike!” Sweetie Belle looked over Spike’s shoulder to see Twilight Sparkle calling over her assistant. “Spike we’re about to see Shining Armor and Cadence off.”

“I’ll be there in a sec,” he replied. Spike turned back to Sweetie Belle.

“Uh, Sweetie, I was wondering,” he scratched the back of his head, “we should… hang out more.”

Sweetie Belle raised her eye brow at the baby dragon and decided to probe him for more.

“What do you mean, Spike?” Sweetie Belle asked innocently.

“I mean, you know… we should… would you,” he screwed his eyes up, “DO YOU WANT TO GO OUT WITH ME?!” Spike clamped his claws over his mouth. “Sweetie Belle I-”

She didn’t let him finish the sentence, wrapping her hooves around his neck, she gave Spike the biggest hug she could conjure.

“Yes Spike, yes of course I will.”

“Spike!” Twilight’s voice barely registered on either of their radars. Releasing a rather red Spike, Sweetie Belle reached out for his claw.

“The Crusaders and I are doing some Crusading next Sunday, want to tag along?” .

“Um, yeah sure.”Spike took her hoof in his claw

“Spike! You’re going to miss it!” Twilight persisted.

“Meet me at the boutique at ten, ok?”

Spike just nodded, making a mental note of the time and place.

“SPIKE!” Twilight’s tone had moved on from simply asking and was now an outright command.

Spike grabbed his hat and bobbed off of his chair.

“I’ll see you then, yeah?”

“It’s a date,” replied Sweetie Belle, hardly able to control herself.

All she wanted to do was give the dragon another huge hug, but decided if she did she would probably never let him go. With that Spiked darted off to Twilight leaving Sweetie Belle with the biggest grin on her face.

Author's Note:

And so ends the Canterlot Wedding plot.

See you all in the new year and remember, Christmas is a day where you are aloud to forget about diets.