• Published 5th Dec 2013
  • 4,409 Views, 90 Comments

The Purest Amethyst - BOM



Equestria is enjoying a time of peace and prosperity. The newly reunited Sisters rule without question and the Elements of Harmony protect the land from any and all evil. But dark forces lurk in the shadows, hidden from sight… Plotting. Durin

  • ...
13
 90
 4,409

Chapter Four

Spike took in the sight of the three fillies, all huddled together; their coats and manes tattered and out of place, a combination of tears and sweat soaking their faces. But importantly they were all breathing.

"Girls please!” Spike was worried.

Their bodies may be fine but are they still all there? He was looking for any kind of response, something to tell him that he wasn’t too late. Sweetie Belle’s head moved up and then down again. It was at a snail’s pace but most definitely a nod. Not much, but I guess it will have to do. With that Spike returned his attention to the Changelings.

The Changelings had recovered themselves and the head of the pack was back on his feet, a dark fist shaped bruise on his left cheek. His malicious eyes glared at the baby dragon attempting to stare him down. It was working. Spike took a step back, what had seemed like a good plan only moments ago was quickly going horribly wrong. Spike looked back at the fillies; they were helping each other to their hoofs. Scootaloo, Apple Bloom and Swee- (gulp)-tie Belle… I’m doing this for her-them I’m doing this for them. Spike planted his foot firmly in front of himself and cracked his claws together.

“You know that purple patch suits you,” taunted Spike, “I know, you can be purple patch, purple patch the pansy Changeling!”

The other Changelings gave a snigger at that last remark but were quickly silenced by their leader.

“If you leave now I promise not to embarrass you anymore.”

With that, the lead changeling lit up his horn and pointed his left hoof at Spike. In quick response the two Changelings on Spike’s right charged forward, fangs bared, horns ablaze.

“So that’s a no?”

Spike flung himself to the right to avoid the first changeling who had charged at him horn first. No sooner had he evaded, the second changeling went in to bite him. Raising his arm to block, the teeth clamped down. With an awful crack the teeth shattered, Spike’s scales proving too hard to pierce. The Changeling recoiled in pain, his hooves raised to his mouth desperately searching for his missing fangs. Picking himself up, a light buzzing from behind alerted Spike, moving just in time the diving Changeling missed and crashed into the dirt. Capitalising on his foes mistake Spike lifted the Changeling by its tail, spinning to gain momentum. Spike’s face screwed up, the weight of the Changeling taking its toll on his arms. Releasing it like a rag doll, the Changeling crashed into a nearby wall, flopping to the ground.

Spike turned back to the three remaining Changelings, who stood there horns alight with emerald magic. The leader pointed one Changeling to the right and the other to the left, creeping forward as he did so. With the Changelings moving on his flanks and the other coming at him head on, Spike began to back off, hoping to give himself more time to devise a plan.

Sensing his hesitation the Changeling’s creep changed into a trot which quickly evolved into a full blown gallop. Inhaling deeply, Spike built up a magical singularity in his gut. Spike focussed on the Changelings: how they had invaded Canterlot, how they taken those he cared about prisoner and how they had hurt those closest to him. The anger swelling up inside him merged with the singularity. Spike fought for control, he would not allow the tainted magic to consume him. As it reached a critical mass, he exhaled. A large violent green flame erupted from his mouth, aimed just in front of the lead Changeling, the surprise attack caused the head Changeling to stop dead in its tracks; the ground was charred to ash.

Spike turned, clenching his claw into an iron fist, planting it into one of his flank attacker’s cheeks sending them flying across the alley. Attempting to spin on the spot, Spike wasn’t quick enough and was tackled from behind by the last Changeling. Spike tasted the dirt as he landed face first onto the dry alley ground. Spitting out a few blades of grass he turned over only to see his attacker standing over him, horn at the ready. The stench of the creature was overwhelming, slivering up Spike’s nostrils it dulled his senses and caused him to gag. In a panic Spike scratched at the Changeling, his claw causing four deep gashes to open up. Blood trickled down the Changeling’s cheek. The Changeling flinched back in pain. Not wanting him to escape, Spike used his other claw to grip onto the Changeling’s horn. The black beast attempted to pull away, but Spike wasn’t letting him go that easy. Clenching his claw Spike swung at the Changeling with all his might, hitting the still open wounds. The creature wailed, as pain rippled from the point of impact, causing it to desperately try and pull away from Spike. Another blow knocked the Changeling unconscious, causing it to collapse on top of him.

Spike rolled the Changeling off of him and picked himself up. Shaking his claw in disgust, attempting to get the specks of blood off it. He had never used his claws like that before, sure he had carved pictures into trees and cut vegetables with them from time to time, but never had he used them on another living creature. A feeling of guilt swept over the dragon as he looked down at his claw. Clenching it he turned to face the last Changeling.

The bruised Changeling stood wide eyed at the dragon, clearly having expected the fight to have been very different.

“What,” panted Spike, “no more tricks up your sleeves?”

The Changeling gave a smirk before encasing itself in an emerald light. It appeared to be compressing him into a smaller shape. When the light lifted, standing where the Changeling had stood not moments ago was instead, Apple Bloom. Every detail mirrored the filly, her yellow coat to her red mane, she even had her trade mark pink bow. Spike checked on the actual Apple Bloom and sure enough there she stood shocked as her apparent long lost twin had been discovered. She’s not real, Spike told himself. Composing himself he pointed an accusing claw at the Changeling.

“I know your tricks and they won’t work on me!”

The fake Apple Bloom started trotting forward, unfazed by Spike’s distrust of her disguise. Spike readied his fist again, it wouldn’t be easy but he was sure Apple Bloom would understand. Seeing Spike was undeterred by its efforts the Changeling quickly shifted its appearance again. This time sprouting wings and a rebellious purple mane. Spike took a long deep breath readying himself for what was ahead. When he had agreed to look after the fillies he’d never imagined having to knock one of them out, or at least something that looked like them.

The mirror of Scootaloo was only feet away from Spike. Her eyes were wide with fear at Spike’s refusal to be distracted by the disguise. The Changing lit up again, the green light retracting the wings and instead sprouting a horn. As the light dissipated what beheld Spike was a coat of the purest white, an intricate shaded mane of purple and pink as well as two deep green eyes. Spike stood frozen in place as Sweetie Belle trotted towards him. It’s not her. He unclenched his fist, a smile peeled itself onto Sweetie Belle’s face. Spike liked it when she smiled. It’s not her. Sweetie Belle was almost on him. It’s not her… just hi-. Spike couldn’t even finish the thought. Why can’t I just do it? Sweetie Belle’s horn caught alight, its green flames highlighting her ear to ear sneer. A bolt of emerald flame knocked Spike to the ground; Sweetie Belle stood over him, her horn ready to strike. Spike couldn’t defend himself, he couldn’t even flinch as a whip of green light slashed across his chest. Spike lay there motionless as if every joint in his body had been frozen solid.

Suddenly two white hind legs connected with Sweetie Belle’s face sending her soaring through the air.
The Changeling crashed to the ground, its form moulded itself back into its original state, two purple bruises decorating his unconscious face. Blinking a few times, Spike shook himself out of his daze. Looking around he found his rescuer, behind him stood a small white unicorn, every hair on her body was standing on end, her hooves were trembling and she was biting her bottom lip. Picking himself off the ground Spike walked over to Sweetie Belle placing a claw on each of her shoulders.

“You alright?” His throat felt dry and the question came out like a croak but Spike didn’t care, all that mattered was if Sweetie Belle was ok.

She hadn’t answered yet. She was trembling so much, Spike’s claw was starting to get some static shock. Tilting her head up Spike looked into Sweetie Belle’s eyes, they reminded him of freshly mown grass and he gave her what he hoped was a reassuring smile. It seemed to do the trick as she quickly stopped trembling and returned the smile.

“Yeah I’m fine.” Sweetie Belle’s voice was little more than a whisper but Spike was relieved just to hear it.

“Y’all ok?” Apple Bloom’s bow was hanging down and her coat was in tatters, but she was putting a brave face on as she and Scootaloo trotted over.

“Yeah we’re fine,” his chest itched a bit but other than that Spike felt fine, he guessed.

“I can’t believe you took them all on,” Scootaloo muttered.

Spike looked around the alley, four Changeling bodies littered the ground. One lay next to a wall, two were dotted around and the last was purple face. Where’s no teeth? Looking around again Spike realised that the changeling who had broken his fangs had fled.

“Girls, we need to move.”

“But there ‘aint anywhere to go,” yelped Apple Bloom.

She was right, Spike couldn’t see anywhere to go other than back down the alley, where Changeling reinforcement would be waiting. Spike looked around for another route to no avail. Then eyeing the wall of one of the streets houses, an idea came to mind.

“Girls, stand back.”

The three fillies moved away from Spike. Turning, he aligned himself with one of the houses, giving himself plenty of space for a run up. Closing his eyes Spike inhaled. He built up a store of magical energy in his gut, once again merging it with anger. But much rather than releasing it like last time Spike continued to gather more energy. His stomach felt like it was going to explode as the build up inside passed its critical mass. The singularity was lashing out, attempting to consume its host. Spike started to vibrate. He struck back against the singularity, desperately trying to tame his own power. His scales began rattling and his head felt like a cave troll was pounding it. Focussing with all his might, Spike started channelling the energy through his body, letting its magic fuel and strengthen him. The sensation tingled all over as the energy reached right to the tip of his claws. Spike looked down at them, he felt like he could lift a Usar as the energy flowed through his veins. Visions started flickering before Spike’s eyes: he saw an image of himself sitting alone in the Canterlot library, he saw an image of him rampaging through the streets of Ponyville and an image of Changelings bleeding the love out of Sweetie Belle. An eternal rage was threatening to consume him; smoke was billowing out his nostrils and his teeth were clamped so tight together they felt like they were going to shatter. Clenching his claws Spike turned his attention to the wall. Taking off, Spike ran much faster than he ever had before. The wall moved closer, just before he made contact Spike closed his eyes and turned his shoulder to face it.

Brace for impact.