• Published 5th Dec 2013
  • 6,743 Views, 383 Comments

An Odd New Friend - Eon333MS



Can Fluttershy prevent an enraged Ponyville from tearing a lonely human to shreads?!

  • ...
45
 383
 6,743

Chapter 12: She Can Make Him Wait...

Earlier … just a little …

Fluttershy found herself looking down. Her groggy and tired eyes could barely open. The ground seemed to flow like the stream of a river. No. No, She was moving. The ground wasn’t moving, she was, and quite rapidly at that.

She could barely feel them, but she could still see her familiar yellow hooves dangling just beyond her muzzle and her mane covered every peripheral angle. The only thing she could feel for certain was the pressure under her shoulders and across her chest. It felt almost like hanging onto a branch.

Fluttershy wasn’t sure how she could be moving, though. Every muscle was so weak and unresponsive. It took great effort to simply open her eyes. How could she be going anywhere and this high from ground as well?

Wait a moment. As Fluttershy’s senses and judgment slowly crawled back to her consciousness, she could notice and hear the repeated thuds. Her vision cleared and she took notice to the movement of a something to her side.

She turned her head to the right to better see what it was. As she did, her sense of smell came back. Being an expert on animals, Fluttershy had a better knowledge of smells than she’d like to admit. Often, that knowledge helped her, but this time it hindered her. Within a single breath, her nostrils flooded with disgust. She could smell blood and an unfamiliar pheromone.

Fluttershy continued to turn her head to the right. Gravity kept its grip and parted her mane as she turned. Now she could see exactly what was keeping her to a hover and moving forward, but her fogged mind needed and extra moment to realize it. It wasn’t until her eyes gazed upon a pale, flat, furless face did she realize what, or rather who it was.

D-Dave?

Fluttershy tried to call out for him, but even a whisper was too much for her. As seconds passed, things became more and more clear. Dave was holding and carrying Fluttershy within his left arm. She could see Rainbow Dash. Her body and her mane hung unmoving as a corpse and within Dave’s other grasp. Was she breathing? Fluttershy couldn’t tell.

Fluttershy recognized the trees and the fauna around her. She was in the Everfree forest. What little light available to her weaved through the trees. Dave’s face seemed determined and emotionless. His armor was heavily stained in crisp, drying blood in some places and light green mucus in others. Fluttershy couldn’t even remember what color the armor originally was. The last few days unfolded so fast, it was hard to keep track of it all.

The spiders. That’s why it happened. It was horrible and terrifying. Fluttershy was one of the few ponies that didn’t fear spiders at all, but the Fenrir brought a whole new level of horror. She knew what they were and regretted ever learning it.

The old castle. That’s where it happened. She tried so hard to save Rainbow Dash. She was sick, weak, and fell unconscious so fast. Fluttershy felt not only terrified, but pathetic and useless. She hated herself. One friend was dying in her hooves while another fought for his life and maybe even hers. She couldn’t do a thing to help. All she could do was wait like the damsel in distress.

But what happened? She could remember so little, but it was all so vivid. As Fluttershy shook her unconscious friend, desperately trying to wake her up, three Fenrir spiders attacked and overpower her so quickly. It all must’ve happened in mere seconds, but her senses took the liberty of making every tragic detail long and lasting.

The spiders weren’t stupid. They used teamwork for nearly everything and Fluttershy was no exception. One spider tackled her; knocking her off her hooves and onto her back. Rather than just killer her, the first spider shifted and pinned her wing to the cold ground. Before Fluttershy could even flap her other wing, a second spider had pinned that one down as well. She screamed and thrashed as much as she could, but they were too much for her.

A third spider pounced through the air; fangs extended and saliva dripping. Not her please, her screams, nor her flailing hooves stopped it. The spider landed atop her soft belly and immediately sunk his sharp fangs into her yellow breast.

After that everything went black. She must of lost consciousness from the fear. It was actually a bit surprising she stayed awake that long. But what happened after all of that?

Did…Did Dave save her?

He did….He really did.

The realization brought hope to Fluttershy. Maybe the ponies back home won’t thing of him as a monster anymore. Maybe there’s still a chance to change things for the better.

Even with her dying strength, Fluttershy could still manage a small smile.

Thank you …

Fluttershy felt herself losing consciousness again. It wasn’t a pleasant experience at all. If sleeping was like dipping into a warm bath, this was like having one’s head force underwater. She didn’t want to sleep. She wanted to stay awake. Despite what little effort she could muster, her own mind was determined to keep her choking under the pleasant water. Everything faded to black again.

***

thb-thb… thb-thb

The beat of a slow, but healthy heart and a heavy ache within her skull were among the first of things to greet Fluttershy as she awoke again. Her body felt warm and pleasant. As she shifted around, she could feel her head atop a soft cushion and her body covered in a nice blanket. As soothing as it should’ve been, it did not help the heavy headache she had.

“Uuughh…” Fluttershy moaned out loud from just a whim and nothing more. Sleep, that’s what she needed. Maybe she’d feel better after sleeping just a little longer.

But another voice kept her from reaching dream land, “Fluttershy, you’re awake. Are you alright? Can you hear me?”

Somepony was here with her, a mare it sounded. Who was it? Better yet, where was she? The moment was so brief and dull it hadn’t crossed her mind to figure it out. Fluttershy peeled back her eyes, opening the way for a bright onslaught upon her pupils. She lifted a hoof and rubbed her eyes.

“Easy there, Fluttershy. You’re alright. You’re safe now.”

Just as Fluttershy could open her eyes and see the world around her, she could feel the side of a hoof placed on her forehead. The pony was a white mare with a pink mane kept back neat and tight under a small cap. She is well known mare in Ponyville, for in such a small town, everypony visits her sooner or later. It was nurse Redheart.

The room around was as white as snow. The smell of strong cleaners assaulted Fluttershy’s nose. The walls, her bed, the waxed floor and the ceiling almost shined with a clean white color. Behind the kind nurse was the door to the room and one of the few things not such a sterile white. On the walls closest to and on either side of the door, were cabinets and countertops, undoubtedly filled with various tools and supplies for medical aid.

Nurse Redheart retracted her hoof. She sighed to herself, “You still have a fever, but at least you’re awake; that’s an improvement.” The nurse turned and walked over to one of the countertops. One of the top cabinets glowed in a pink aura as she rummaged through it.

Fluttershy’s tongue and jaw felt unusually heavy as she spoke, “W-what happened?”

Redheart spoke in a kind and sympathetic voice, but kept her eyes on the cabinet. She had to speak over the sound of various objects crashing and colliding within the storage space. “I’m not sure why and I won’t ask how, but that human they tried to execute earlier today came back with you and Rainbow Dash within his claws. Heh, you can tame any animal, can’t you?”

The rummaging ceased as Redheart finally found what she was looking for. She turned to the other countertop, pulled a small paper cup, and began to fill it under a small medical sink. “He must’ve really taken a liking to you. There he was, stumbling into the hospital, hauling a hundred or so pounds of pony and begging for somepony to help you.”

With her magic, Redheart pulled out a plate from the cabinet. She placed the plate, along with the cup of water and a capsule on the small beside table only inches away from Fluttershy. “The amazing thing is, he looked like he went though Tartarous and back just to get you. His body was covered in dried blood and who knows what else - and I could swear he’s missing a few pieces of himself. Anyway, despite how bad he looked, not once did he ask for help for himself. All he cared about was you guys.”

“S-so what happened to Rainbow Dash?”

“Well, you both got bitten by Fenrir Spiders. They venom they got is pretty bad. We’ve done as much as we can, but right now, all we can do help your own body deal with the rest.”

“Where’s Rainbow?”

“Oh, she’s behind you,” Nurse Redheart lifted a hoof and pointed over Fluttershy’s shoulder. “Don’t bother exerting yourself, she’s not awake yet. Anyway, take the capsule. It’s a strong vitamin supplement; it’ll help your body get itself better,” The cup of water and the vitamin started to glow and float in front of Fluttershy, “Would you like some help?”

Fluttershy lightly nodded her head, “Yes please.”

The pillow Fluttershy had been laying on glowed with a pink aura as it rose to a hover, pushing her head upwards and upright. All Fluttershy had to do was open her mouth and Redheart gently placed the floating vitamin atop her tongue. The nurse then lifted the small cup of to Fluttershy’s lips and tilted it so as to slowly pour water. She poured just enough water without much indication and Fluttershy swallowed her capsule without any problems.

Fluttershy made a small smile. “Thanks.”

Redheart slowly dropped the pillow and let Fluttershy rest evenly again. “Aw, don’t mention it. I’m always happy to help anypony who needs it,” *sigh* “Lets just hope Rainbow Dash gets better soon, too”

Worry started to strike at Fluttershy, “Oh my, is she going to be alright?”

“She fine; I didn’t mean it like that. Aside from her own fever, all of her vitals are going strong. She’ll definitely recover, just needs a little time that you would though. Given your line of work, it’s understandable that your body is a bit more used to dealing with infections than the average pony.”

“That’s a relief to hear.”

Redheart turned around and started walking towards the door. “Well, like I said, all you two need now is time. Go back to sleep; just call out if you need help with anything at all.”

The door open within her glow, but before Redheart left, Fluttershy asked, “Um, nurse Redheart, where’s Dave right now?”

Redheart turned to face Fluttershy. “The human? Oh, he’s actually sleeping in one of the waiting rooms. I have to say, he’s nice if you get to know him. I’m actually about to wake him up. I bet he’d love to see you again.”

“Oh, that’d be nice.”

“Don’t you go anywhere.” Redheart giggled to herself. Fluttershy rolled her eyes at the bad joke.

Redheart returned her attention to the door, but her efforts were thwarted again. This time, it was by another locally famous pony; the commander of the Ponyville guard. Redheart seemed a bit surprised, “Commander Leadhoof? What are you doing here?”

His gaze was heavy enough to push Redheart back into the room. His voice dripped with hate and danger. His muzzled pointed forward, almost accusing the nurse of something, “Where’s the human?”

Despite the intimidation, Redheart held her ground and didn’t give Leadhoof enough room to pass the doorway. “I don’t think you should be here, sir. Where’s Doctor Stable?”

His brows angled even further down. He pushed his muzzle against Redheart, but she still didn’t give another inch. “Answer my question first.”

“What ever you’re planning, stop it. It’s all under control, we don’t need you mix things up.”

His violent intention was thick enough to taste. “I won’t ask again.”

“And what will Twilight think about this, huh? This human just saved two of her best friends. Put the swords away, we both know this’ll end badly.”

Suddenly, Leadhoof drew a sword and struck Redheart with the handle end and knocked her off her hooves. “Do you truly think I care what the princess thinks?” It all happened so fast, Redheart already hit the ground before Fluttershy realized just how bad things had gotten.

“The princess is young and short sighted. She actually wanted to help the monstrosity from the start. She’s not ready for any position of authority.”

Leadhoof stepped over Redheart, walking towards Fluttershy. He sighed to himself, “I shouldn’t have let this happen. I should’ve killed it when I had the chance.” The terrifying commander stepped closer and gently brushed Fluttershy’s mane with his hoof. Fluttershy simply laid there, too paralyzed by fear to say anything. “Don’t you worry yourself little pony, I’ll make sure nopony else ever gets hurt by it again.”

Leadhoof turned around and left the room. He used his magic to gently close the door, like a mare would after telling her foal goodnight. Fluttershy was anything but ready to sleep. She had to get up, she had to move.

She turned her body and pushed against the bedding. Her muscles were slow and sluggish. Fluttershy put as much will into her movement as she could. Disaster was about to strike and she had to stop it.

She barely had enough strength to lift herself a few inches off the bed. She put in as much force as she could, but her right hoof gave out. Fluttershy found herself sliding off the hospital bed and fell unto the cold floor. The impact was hard and rang through her aching head. But no matter the pain, no matter how much her body screamed for rest, Fluttershy had to get up. Will Leadhoof kill Dave? Or worse yet, will Leadhoof lose that fight? Dave is lethal when pushed into a corner; how will he react if Leadhoof pushed him into one? Fluttershy didn’t know, but that only made the situation worse.

She tried once again and pushed away at the floor below her. It felt like boulders rested on her shoulders, but she prevailed. The further her chest became from the floor, the more weight seemed to be placed unto her back.

Nevertheless, Fluttershy finally got up on her hooves. She wobbled like a newborn fawn, but at least she was up. As she tried to walk forward, gravity seemed to take a heavy liking to her hooves, and didn’t let go easily. But one at a time, Fluttershy pulled her legs up and over, walking one step at time.

Fluttershy dragged herself over to the unconscious form of nurse Redheart. Fluttershy used her muzzle to push at Redheart. “Redheart, please, wake up. Please.” The nurse didn’t respond. There was nothing Fluttershy could do, but at least he was breathing. As much as it tore at her already devastated heart, Fluttershy had to leave her.

She turned her attention to the door. She moved closer and tried to open the door, but never in her life had the simple task been so difficult. She lifted her muzzled and gripped the handle within her teeth. She then let gravity pull her head and the handle down. Then, with as much effort as she could muster, she pulled the door. It felt so heavy, like it was made thick stone, but she made it move anyway. Inch by in she pulled the heavy barrier away from its frame. Surprisingly, it left her heaving for breath, but Fluttershy finally made it into the hallway.

But the corridor was another challenge altogether. It couldn’t be more than some yards long, but if felt like miles. Each step was a shockwave through her body. Her center of focus was blurred and her peripherals were stained with bloody red.

The journey was short, but felt so long. As she neared the end of the hall she could hear the sound breaking glass just around the corner. It wasn’t far now, she was almost there.

She heard the sound of glass breaking again. No, no, no. She was so close. Only a few more feet. Please, no. Don’t let any pony get hurt.

Just as Fluttershy rounded the corner, she was met with the sound of glass shattering. She shut her eyes and lowered her head as shards of many sized scattered in every which way throughout the room. When she finally opened her eyes and lifted her heavy head, scene almost made her wish she hadn’t. It all made her freeze again in terror.

Leadhoof laid against the front desk. He helmet was gone and his face was bloodied and beaten. He bled so much, he was already staining the floor and many of the glass shards were already gleaming red in the hospital’s light. Leadhoof kicked against the ground, trying hard to find purchase and lift himself from the ground.

But through the shattered door came an even more terrifying sight. Fluttershy almost refused to believe it, but who else could it be. Dave walked through the shattered door. He seemed dark and evil. He seemed to fill the room with a threatening aura. Fluttershy’s fears had manifested before her.

Dave marched through the room. The glass broke even further under his heavy hooves. He reached down to pick up another sharp piece of glass in his claws. Leadhoof couldn’t get away. With one claw, Dave picked up Leadhoof by the throat high off the ground and slammed him unto the front desk. He kept his grip around the dying pony’s throat and strangled him. The shard of glass in his other set of claws was lifted high, ready to kill.

Fluttershy couldn’t let this go any further. If Dave actually killed somepony, there’d be no hope for him. She broke away from fear’s grip and screamed as loud as she could, “Stop it!” She pulled a hoof to her mouth, barely able to believe what was happening before her.

The world seemed to freeze at her voice. Dave slowly turned his head towards Fluttershy. It almost brought tears to her eyes to see a friend doing something like this. “Please, Dave. J-Just stop.”

Author's Note:

lol, I'm stretching this out like a dying anime.
Hope you all liked it!