• Published 5th Dec 2013
  • 6,743 Views, 383 Comments

An Odd New Friend - Eon333MS



Can Fluttershy prevent an enraged Ponyville from tearing a lonely human to shreads?!

  • ...
45
 383
 6,743

Chapter 20: Well, I think...

Rainbow Dash practically crawled out of the hospital and through Ponyville. Whatever has wrong with her made things hard, really hard. She constantly leaned and held onto her friend as focused on putting one hoof over the other. Rainbow Dash knew Rarity didn't mind helping out, and had the scenario had been reversed, she's do the same, but; regardless of necessity, it still felt wrong to take so much time and effort. Outside, Rainbow Dash kept a smile and spewed gratitude, making every effort to relearn to walk. On the inside, she felt like a sack of garbage. It hurt, not exactly pain, but painfull nonetheless. Part of her wished they'd was just leave her at the hospital. It was her own reckless ambitions that got her there in the first place, her own stupidity!!. Why should anypony take time to help her now?

Her well trained peripherals caught sight of movement skyward. Rainbow Dash couldn't help but stop and jerk her head up, and find another reason to regret everything she did. She saw pegasi flying overhead. She saw Cloudkicker tearing away at a small bit of stratus cloud. And over there flew by a trio of young colts, tossing a ball between them. Each one scattering and whizzing about as two of the colts would constantly try to catch the ball from the other as the third threw it. Rainbow Dash turned her head to look at her own wings and let out a sigh. She couldn't even feel them right now; they could be broken and she wouldn't even notice. Who knows when she'd be able to use them again, and right now, who knows if she'll ever be able to use them again.

"Aww, don't make that face darling," Rarity said, sensing her friend's sadness, "It's just a few weeks, probably less. You'll be flying around town in soon enough, and until you can get all four hooves off the ground again, I'll stand by you the whole way, I promise."

Rainbow Dash turned to look at her friend. A small smile, but a smile nonetheless, grew on their faces. It was still too much to ask of Rarity, but to be willing to do it anyway meant the world to Rainbow Dash. It was nice to have such a good friend.

"Now come on, we've still got a few parfaits to enjoy, remember?"

Rainbow Dash's smile grew a little wider. "Oh yeah...Sugar Cube Corner, right?"

"Uhh, no, not really. We still have to prepare living space and arrangements of the such at the carousel boutique."

Rainbow Dash's expression dell dramatically, "Oh, ok..."

"...After we make our own parfaits."

Rainbow Dash's smile grew faster than it fell and wider than before.

***

Pinkie Pie stood in front of in front of the register in Sugar Cube Corner. Her eager and energetic personality overfilled as she continued to place her order. The cashier was none other than Mrs. Cup Cake herself, the owner of the restaurant and Pinkie Pie's employer at the same eatery. She wore her usual frilled apron and a set of large pink pearl earrings. Her two-toned pink hair was combed into swirly patterns to resemble delicious icing. She kept her usual smile as Pinkie Pie placed her order; She'd long-since gotten used to Pinkie Pie erratic personality.

Pinkie Pies mouth attempted to move as fast as her rapidly changing mind, "...I want it with raspberries- no!-juniper berries -ohwaitno!- make it oran berries-no, nonono- I got an idea!" Pinkie Pie leaned on the counter and waved for the cashier to come closer.

Pinkie Pie quickly looked left and right for any would-be eavesdroppers before whispering nearly inches from the Mrs. Cake's ear, "Put in all threeeeee...."

Mrs. Cake leaned back, picked up her pencil, and continued to write down the order. She internally shook her head at herself; she should've seen something silly like that coming since Pinkie came through the door. Then again, anypony will get used to Pinkie Pie given time, but you'd be crazy to ever think you can predict her.

"Alright Pinkie," Said Mrs. Cake, "Is that all for now?"

"Yes ma'am!"

"Are you suuuure?"

Pinkie rapidly nodded her head, "Uhh-huh!"

"Alright, a parfait with...uh... special toppings coming up!" Ms. Cake took the ticked in her mouth and moved to the kitchen in the back.

"Yippie!" Pinkie cried out as she jumped into the air. Before descending, she dashed away mid-air towards a tabled. There, Applejack had already found a seat and was knocking back a cold soda.

Pinkie Pie quickly found a seat. Applejack put down her drink and asked, "Excited much?"

"You know it!" Pinkie replied, while Applejack took another swig. "I mean, if you ignore the alien and the tiny bit of aggravation that escalated into a big, long complex and continuously confusing chain of events, today's been super-duberly fantastic!"

Applejack put her soda down again, "Ah' don't see what's confusin' 'bout it at all. Big alien freak is a big alien freak, and it an't doing nopony 'round here anygood, so its gotta' go; simple as that."

"Maybe so, but I try to look at the big party from everypony's eyes, you know. He did hurt some ponies, but everypony tried to hurt him too. And on top of it, he's an alien. He doesn't know where he is or anything about Equestria, really. He might be even more scared of us than we are of him."

"Yeah, yeah, every lil' monster got some sad backstory. I understand, really. Like every manticore has probably got cubs or somethin' back home, but that still don't make it right to just let it just eat somepony. Shoot, the only thing worse than that is doin' nothing afterwards."

"Still, he's not just another pony-eating monster. There more to all this than that. Like, why do you think he took Fluttershy and Dashie all the way from the Everfree to the hospital?"

"I don't know, maybe he wanted his pony's fresh or somethin'. Who cares?"

"but..."Pinkie lowered her head and lost eye contact with Applejack. Her voice and tone dropped to a sadder note, "He probably saved their lives...."

"Don't tell me your gettin' all sympathetic for the thing."

"Well...I...It's just, all this hatred. All towards one pony -er- alien...thing, anyway, I just don't think he deserves so much bad things and hatred, not all of it, I mean."

"Well ah' think it does, and then some!"

"Hmmh..." Pinkie's expression fell a bit more, "Do you... ever regret... getting your element of harmony."

Applejacks eyes widened. She took an extra second to think before answering the surprising question, "Can't say ah' have; why?"

"'Cause... we always gotta save equestria. We always have to... fight. I don't like fights; I like parties. I don't like hurting anypony, even if it's a bad pony, and the bad pony will just hurt other ponies if we don't. So we just hurt only bad ponies and that make its alright? It's a bit confusing to me."

"Well, somepony's gotta' stop bad ponies from ruinin' Equestria. If not us, then who?"

"Sometimes I just wish we didn't have to stop bad ponies. Sometimes I wish I could just bake a cake and I'd be all like 'have a delicous cake', and bad pony would be like 'mmm yummy cake' and then we'd all just have cake and be..well...just not fight."

"That an't how it works Pinkie Pie."

"I know, but I still wish."

Applejack slowly shook her head, "It just an't how the world works."

Author's Note:

And so continues my half-ass attempt to create a stress break, seal up a plot hole or two, and ... something else, but I forgot it.

Oh well, hope you enjoyed it anyway!!