• Published 2nd Dec 2013
  • 2,959 Views, 69 Comments

The Priest of Nalarath - Pigrangler



Father Gregory felt he had a sense of repitition in his life. The same place full of color and noises. No not Equestria but close enough. Before giving a sermon, Gregory is killed and it just gets worse for him throughout.

  • ...
3
 69
 2,959

Nalarath, Father Gregory's home/ colorful prison.

Nalarath

The city of Nalarath became illuminated by the early morning light. Denizens began to creep their way out of their makeshift homes to attend to the daily chores. The farmers went to tend to their crops, the blacksmiths to their forges, the fishers to their bait etc etc. Just a calm morning for all in the sweet little city.

Well...almost everyone. One house in Nalarath stood out more than the others. And thats not to say that the others were boring in comparison. Quite the opposite in fact. The buildings were complex works of art with a sort of rythym to them. They were all painted with bright and vivid colors that didnt seem to match. But at the same time it seemed to just fit.

Except...this house. It stood at an odd angle with a slanted roof and was poorly made. The outside appeared to be concrete with grey tinted windows. The door was a dark red and was cracked in several places. The yard was also unkept causing several vines to grow into the concrete and crawl towards the windows. Not only was the house the least appealing building in the city, it's location was way off from the beautiful symmetry/asymmetry of Nalarath.

Instead of being hidden by two massive buildings smooshed into an alleyway, like the ugly thing should be , it stood in the middle of town, a stones throw away from the marketplace, the park, and the town church.

Though the strangest thing about the house was not the location or the condition. The strangest thing about it, was the person who inhabited such a place. Who would think that a priest would live in a house away from the church? And it just had to be THAT house!

Father Gregory didnt mind his house though. In fact he liked it better then the rest of his colorful town prison. Some questioned why he would choose not to live in his church if he felt the need to be away from color. But they seem to forget the colorful taperstries and artwork decorating the inner sanctum.

No, if he was to stay in there for too long he would have a headache. He could only go out into town every so often to get his essential grocerries. Even just a few hours outside of his grey safe haven would cause him great misfortune. Most people could understand his predicament and would try to cheer him up by trying to strike up a conversation . Others would whipser to each other and shy away from his precense. Which group do you think he liked more?

But Father Gregory always gave his service with a bright smile and a happy attitude. If anyone had a problem, he was happy to help them in any way he could (so long as he didnt have to leave his house for too long.) And why did he do this? Because he believed in God, and that God wanted him to do good things for his fellow man. So he did so without question or fuss.

Well...a few questions and as little fuss as possible considering what was asked of him at times. Paint the town hall? Its already colorful enough! This whole town is more colorful than a rainbows asshole! But he helped anyway. Although mumbling the whole time about having a sermon saying that God hated color. He would never lie like that though (if only for fear of God punishing him). No one is perfect, not even a holy man.

Hours after the town had awoken and the marketplace became a buzz with people, Father Gregory arose. He had stayed up late last night reciting and memorizing his next sermon about how it is important to remember your psalms and proverbs. Remembering the psalms and proverbs was the easy part for him. He had already done it before.
The hard part was convincing other people that it was important without just shouting out them or being so boring they wouldnt listen. To perform a sermon you need to have the appropriate method to go with your topic.

Father Gregory began his morning routine of showering and brushing his teeth all the while going over his speech in his head. Afterwords he headed towards his kitchen for some much needed sustinence. As he was eating breakfast he decided that after the sermon it would be a good time to mention some of the colorful buildings that havn't served a purpose in a while. Just standing there taking up space and invading the world with...colors. He closed his eyes and sighed happily just imagining being able to walk through the market and see some absence of color.

It wasnt that he hated color oh no. It's just that after so many years of living in color can make you sorta...go crazy. Half the time thats what Gregory thought the people were. He wasnt the only one to hate the colors though. Several had left the town in the last couple of years complaining of too much color.

So we give the buildings purpose by putting people in them or just tear them down. Either way win win. Thought Father Gregory as he finished the last of his eggs, toast and bacon. "Bacon!" He suddenly rushed to check his refrigerator and looked inside his meat drawer. Pulling out some ham and other various meats, he came across an untouched surplus package of bacon.

Sighing with releif he put the meat back in the drawer and put his dishes in the sink to clean. "Thought I would have to go into town for some more." He said out loud with a grimace. After cleaning his dishes he glanced at the clock revealing the time to be 8:55. "Five minutes till its time. And im probably not going to be the first one there."

Pushing away his thoughts of wanting to call in sick today, he stepped outside shortly after grabbing his cane and pocket bible. He didnt really need the cane but it calmed him just to hold it. It wasnt special or anything, just a plain black metal like cane. Then again no color for Father Gregory was special.

When he arrived at the entrance to the church his suspicions were confirmed as he saw a small mass of people waiting for him to enter. It was tradition in Nalarath for a Priest to enter first and then declare to the people that they were safe to enter. Since he was the only priest not in sick today, that job fell upon him. Preacher Jameson had caught a nasty cold just last week and hadn't been able to shake the stuff. Preacher Michael had attracted the same cold from dipping his hands in the same holy water that Jameson had touched. (Him and thirty-three other people.)

After that incident Father Gregory had given a joke sermon on how cleanliness is next to Godliness. That seemed to brighten the mood at the time. However on his way up the stairs to the church door he didnt see any happy faces in the croud. More so they seemed royally ticked off. It probably had something to do with Father Gregory always waiting till the last second to go to the church while Michael and Jameson would always come hours early.

These people need a hobby if there just going to wait at church for hours. Maybe I should put that in a sermon..."Father Gregory thought as he opened the door to the church. Turning to the crowd while standing on the opposite side of the door he cleared his throat and said "The church of God grants you the opportunity to enter and worship. I, Father Gregoy, see all of you as worthy to participate into todays sermon. Please enter." And with that he turned and walked towards the podium while listening to the sound of footsteps fall in line behind him.

(From Father Gregory's POV)

Pain...Something's not right. Some one screamed. A woman? What's that dripping sound? People are running. Is the church shrinking? Pain...blood...something sharp being pulled from my back...crying...my knees hurt...I'm falling...falling....smells like pancakes?...Blackness.

Ponyville

In the second story of a certain tree/ library/ house, Twilight wakes from Celestias sun stinging her face. After groaning and rolling out of bed, she walks over to the small basket next to her bed that has a small dragon in it. Spike is snoring loudly with a small smile on his face and a bit of drool on his lips.

"Rarity..." He giggles while still sleeping

Twilight just rolls her eyes at the display and starts to gently prod him with her hoof. "Come on Spike its time to start your chores. Rise and shine!"

Spike grunts at the word chores and reluctantly begins to rise from his tiny bed. "Aw but Twilight! I was in the middle of the most awesome dream!"

Twilight eyed him directly and asked "Did it have anything to do with Rarity?"

Spike gave a nervous chuckle while rubbing the back of his head with a claw and balancing on his heels. " E-heh well...maybe..."

Twilight just giggled at his actions. "Come on Romeo, we have to make sure everything is right for tonight! So I need you to help me double time with the chores!" She said in a very sudden and serious tone.

Spike gave a low grumble at having to do more chores. But then he remembered why tonight was so special. Tonight was the night that all of Twilights friends would be going to Canterlot to have a sleepover at the Castle. They needed to make sure that the library was in tip top shape for the replacement to take over.

Normally Twilight would have rejected the idea of Spike joining in on a sleepover at the castle. But lately she had felt that she was becoming less attached to the poor drake and needed to spend some more time with him. That and he kept begging non-stop and doing crazy stunts just to go after Pinkie had spilled the beans about it weeks ago. She had finally given in when a certain incident had left her with part of her mane missing and him missing lot of scales.

She shuddered at the memory. Where did he even get a vial of acid? Thought Twilight. Of course her mane grew back along with his scales. But the memory of him without scales shivering in a corner with a sad look just hurt her. And the acid. That hurt a lot to. Thankfully it wasn't serious enough to eat through flesh. It still hurt like crazy though. But she decided to forgive him and said that as long as he didn't try anything crazy like that and went to bed at a decent time then he could come with her. She wasn't totally surprised when he rushed up to hug her. It just felt a little weird touching a dragon without scales. He feels like a peach. Twilight thought with a smile.

But of course that had let the issue stand as to who could run the library while she was away. At first she thought it a lost cause but then remembered that the party would be on a Saturday night. So she just had to find someone who could be free on a Sunday morning (because according to Spike, no one would want to go to a library at night for fun.) She argued that she would and he laughed saying that when it came to books, she'd do just about anything to get one.

"I bet you'd even kiss Rainbow Dash!" Spike said while rolling on the floor in a laughing fit. He then continued to list off things Twilight would do for a book. Eventually he stopped because Twilight had magically sealed his mouth shut and scolded him about teasing her. But they both apologized shortly afterword.

After that little debacle, Twilight decided they should go ask Cherilee since school was closed on Sunday and she would be free. Twilight told her to time frame and what needed to be done should anyone want a book. Cherilee accepted and said she would be there before they left the next night.

So now Spike and Twilight were cleaning the library and reorganizing everything. Living with Twilight for so long had gotten Spike used to the idea of random reorganizing. If Twilight was anything, it was neat and orderly. Some would call a messy room Controlled Chaos. For Twilight it was more of a clean room that needed to be cleaned in a different way every time depending on certain events. So...Chaos Controlled? Eh whatever. It didn't matter to Spike. All that did matter was that him, Twilight, and her friends would be going to Canterlot for a sleepover. He was excited he was going to get to see all of his friends...especially Rarity.

Tonight was the night that he would finally ask her on a date. For the past couple of days he had been practicing in secret when Twilight didn't need him and the library had no visitors. Though no matter how many times he practiced he still felt extremely anxious about this idea. He cleared his mind with a calm breathing technique that Twilight had taught him.
He couldn't let doubt cloud his mind so he needed to just think positive.

It didn't take them long to get everything in order. What did take long was the check, the double check, the triple check, the check of the check, the double check of the double check, the triple check of the check, the sextuple check over all the checks, the checkbook, putting spike in checkmate then playing a game of checkers, The millionth check over everything done. (WAITER! CHECK PLEASE!!)

Now all that was left to do was leave and gather the others. So with sleeping bags and other items in tow, the two went off to find their other friends. The train was leaving in a few hours so they would have enough time to hang out before hand. With that in mind they made a beeline for Sugarcube Corner to grab Pinkie Pie.

Author's Note:

The first chapter to hopefully a good story. Only time can tell.

And readers of course.