• Published 29th Nov 2013
  • 525 Views, 15 Comments

Soren the Alicorn Part 3: A True Hero? - KingNyroc15



A hero can only take so much chaos before they lose who they are.

  • ...
21
 15
 525

The Promise

Arc: The Lunar Assassin
----------------

Journal Entry

I finally know who I am...I'm the Doctor. But am I really him, or am I my own pony? What will happen now? Will I use the TARDIS to travel the universe, or will Twilight do that? The TARDIS wanted her to be the next Doctor, but I highly doubt she will. I guess it doesn't matter. Only one thing matters right now: A promise I made to a friend.

-Soren

--------------

It was a peaceful day in the bustling city of Canterlot. Sunny skies, no cloud in sight, a slight breeze, and ponies playing music in the background. Not many genres of music are played here other than classic, but what can one expect from a fancy city? Although classical was favored, two musically inclined stallions decided to play a different genre. These two were moving a cart to a town square, hoping to liven up this sophisticated environment.

Once they were in a town square, the twins smiled as they began taking things out of the cart and setting up their stage. This alone caught the eyes of a few ponies. The bystanders waited until the stallions were finished. The pegasus twins, both light blue with deep green manes, finished setting up a phonograph and a make-shift performing area. They started their music and introduced themselves.

"Greetings Canterlot!" said the lighter voiced twin. "We are known as the Pega-Singers, and we are here to entertain you with something new!"

Ponies stopped to watch and listen to these stallions' performance; others scoffed or continued on with their day. As the duo began singing, a stallion with yellow eyes stared at them from a distance, a look of expectance on his face. His eyes darted around, looking at random places that would only seem random to all but him and his friends. At these places were more yellow-eyed stallions. From their respective positions, they each poked their heads up from cover, looked at each other, and nodded.

The first stallion glanced back at the performing duo. 'Why the princess wants to see these two, I'll never know,' he thought. As the duo's first song ended, storm clouds started forming around the city square. The clouds made the area so dark that the other ponies didn't see the squad of Lunar Guards fly out of hiding and grab the Pega-Singers. With their mission accomplished, the guards, with singers in tow, flew off towards the palace.

---------------

"So what ya'll are sayin' is that Soren here is the Doc?" Applejack asked. She was making sure she understood what Soren, Twilight, and Rainbow Dash had just finished explaining. The trio arrived in Ponyville in the middle of the day almost three days after they initially left. They quickly gathered their seven friends and brought everypony to Sugarcube Corner. It took awhile to explain everything, but everyone understood what happened.

"Strangly...yes," Soren responded to Applejack's question. "I am technically the Doctor, but he, or I, lost our memory after the regeneration."

"So is that how you lost your memory?" Rarity asked.

"I don't think so. Remember, we place me at the front door of the Melody Mansion. I should have childhood memories but I don't. Nyra did something to me after she foalnapped me. The result was more memory loss."

"I'm sorry, dear."

"Hey, don't worry about it. I'm fine now. All I wanna do is relax. That was a heck of a fight we just went through. Right, Rainbow Dash?"

"Yeah it was. We definitely need a party or something." Rainbow purposely hinted a party at Pinkie Pie, who jumped up with a huge smile.

"*gasp* We could have a party celebrating Soren and Dashie kicking those spirits' butts, or we could have a normal party with random party things, but that's boooring, or how about-" Rarity put a hoof to Pinkie's mouth to stop her very long sentence.

"Or," started Rarity slowly, "we could just have a little get-together with all of us plus Vinyl and Octavia." Both Pinkie and Soren nodded, as did everyone else. "Then it's settled. Where shall we have this party of sorts?" Soren looked at Twilight. 'Where we always have parties, of course,' he thought with a smile.

"Same place?" asked Twilight looking back at Soren. He gave a 'why not' shrug . "What do you think, girls? Is the library fine?" They all quickly agreed.

------------

Later that night, the 'party' was in full swing. Of course, Pinkie Pie invited more ponies to "liven up the party." Even with the addition of a few more ponies, Soren, Octavia, and their friends were enjoying themselves. After a few hours were spent eating sweets, drinking punch, and dancing, Soren found himself sitting by a rather large grandfather clock. As he relaxed and watched the other ponies dance, he began thinking about many things, mostly about the Doctor. The biggest thing that ended up in his mind was a question. 'Why does the Doctor want me to investigate the Lunar Guards? I thought they only existed in that dream I had but apparently not. Do I really need to investigate this little project that an old friend is working on? Who knows how many of those guards there-'

DING DING DING

The grandfather clock sounded off loudly next to Soren, interrupting his thoughts. After the clock stopped ringing, Soren noticed that it was dead quiet and not because he drowned out the noise. 'Is it me or did the music stop?' Soren looked around and saw that everypony was standing still; the music really did stop. Seeing Applejack, he trotted over to her.

"Why did the music stop?" he asked her. Soren quickly noticed that she was staring wide-eyed at something. Instead of verbally answering her friend's question, the farmer pointed towards the front windows. There behind the glass, in the darkness of night, was a set of yellow eyes that seemed all too familiar to Soren. He scanned the room and discovered that all of the guests were staring at the monstrous eyes in the window. He then saw Rainbow Dash, who was one of the most calm ponies in the room. He began trotting over to her, but the front door of the library burst open. Screaming was heard, followed by running. Looking back to the door, Soren and his friends saw a silhouette in the doorway.

"PARTY GOERS OF THE LIBRARY, HEAR US!" a booming voice sounded. 'Is that...?' Soren thought as everypony stopped to look at the silhouette. The pony walked into the light and only a few gasped were heard as everyone saw their Princess of the Night. Still using a loud, but not booming voice, Princess Luna spoke again. "We seek the one called Nyroc. Where can we find him?"

"Luna!" Soren said happily as he stepped forward. "What brings you here?"

Luna relaxed; she wasn't expecting an immediately calm and happy response. "We sensed an ancient magic in the Spirit World and believed you were the one who caused it. Didn't thou say you and thy friend were fighting the Elementals?"

"Indeed we did, and we won. Although we did have an... incident, but that doesn't matter right now. Why are you storming in here with those Lunar Guards creeping around?" Soren gestured to the stallions still watching through the windows.

"We are here to ask thee what happened in the Spirit World to cause such magic. Was there powerful magic that was not used by thou or the Elementals?" Luna started squinting her eyes at Soren like a mother would to get her child to tell the truth. He wasn't going to lie anyway, so he didn't understand why she was trying to intimidate him.

"If you mean me becoming a Lunar Guard for a little bit, then yes, I would say there was indeed powerful magic. Why is this so important?" Luna's eyes widened and dead silence filled the room again. The stallions at the windows stirred.

"And thou had no trouble being accepted by the armor?" Right then, Soren had to explain everything that him and Rainbow Dash did with the necklace. Luna nodded and understood, but she still had to warn Soren. "Tis disturbing that the armor did not make you two frenzied, but 'tis more disturbing that one armor accepted more than one host. We need look into this. The true reason we came here was to make sure you made it back alive. My sister and I were worried." Before Soren could even ask Luna another question, she turned around and left, her guards following right behind. When the air finally relaxed, the ponies of the party started to exit the library. Meanwhile, all of Soren's friends gathered near him.

"Why was the Princess interested in that armor you were talking about?" asked Octavia, Vinyl stepping up beside her.

Soren shrugged and replied, "Maybe it was because it wasn't supposed to be in the Spirit World? Or maybe you can only get the armor from her personally. Either way, the Doctor was right."

"About what?" Spike asked.

"About investigating the Lunar Guards. Luna was obviously more interested in the armor than finding out if I was alive. She already knew I would survive." He quickly looked at Dash. "Rainbow Dash, did the necklace travel into the real world with us?" She nodded and motioned for everypony to follow her.

All of them went into the library's basement. Soren and Twilight told everyone to enter the TARDIS, which they persisted against at first. Eventually, they all walked inside. Twilight stayed with everyone else while Soren continued to follow Rainbow Dash. She led him to the console and sure enough, the necklace was just laying there.

"It was next to me when I woke up," Rainbow explained, "so I picked it up and put it here." Soren started smiling and Twilight noticed this.

She groaned. "Ohhh, you have a plan, don't you?" she asked with concern and a tinge of annoyance. Soren nodded.

"Don't worry," he assured. "It's not an immediate plan. We just got back after all. But it will have to be soon..." Soren sighed. "And I'll have to do it alone."

"What? Why?"

"Trust me...it'll be easier this way, and I won't be far. After a few days of relaxing, I need to travel to Canterlot disguised as a Lunar Guard. While I'm there, I'll try to find out as much as I can about the Lunar Guards from any sources. I'll try not to stay too long, but it has to be done...for the Doctor." He looked directly at Twilight and Rainbow Dash as he said the last part. They nodded, but the look in their eyes were begging him not to go. 'Two days,' Soren thought, 'that's all the time I should relax. I'm used to that by now in any case.'

Half an hour after the group of friends entered the TARDIS, everyone besides Soren, Twilight, Spike, and Rainbow Dash, decided to leave the library. They said their goodbyes to each other and left. Now it was only the four of them left inside. They all exchanged glances to one other, waiting for someone to speak.

"Who wants to say something first?" Soren asked. Twilight and Rainbow looked at each other then Twilight smiled, giving her friend permission to go first.

"How long are you going to be gone exactly?" she asked. "Can't you at least have a deadline or something? I mean, we just got back."

"I know, I know, but I promised the Doctor. And the sooner the better...right? Plus it shouldn't even be dangerous. Why would Luna have new guards if they were evil?"

"I just want to say one thing," Twilight started. "Those guards look tough. Who knows what kind of training they do? Just make sure you don't do anything drastic, ok?" He nodded then looked back at Rainbow.

"We'll spend the next few days together; just you and me. It won't make up for the length of time that I'm gone but it's the least I can do." Dash gave a small smile. It was then decided that after three days, Soren will head off to Canterlot disguised as a Lunar Guard.