• Published 29th Nov 2013
  • 525 Views, 15 Comments

Soren the Alicorn Part 3: A True Hero? - KingNyroc15



A hero can only take so much chaos before they lose who they are.

  • ...
21
 15
 525

The New Plan

"How long have you two been in Canterlot?" Soren asked the Pega-Singers. "Why are you two here?"

"We've only been here a few days," said the deeper voiced and taller twin. "Living here is great. We were worried at first because we kinda got ponynapped when we arrived, but the princess explained that she needed us."

"Let me guess: she needs you to spy for her." The two stallions nodded.

"You'd be surprised how many conversations we can eavesdrop on without being noticed," the lighter pitched and shorter twin explained. "No pony here questions anyone that seems harmless."

"How much have you two found out since you arrived?" Celestia asked. The two stallions both rubbed their chins in thought.

"Well if Luna is the target, we can assume that the assassin is a Lunar Guard. That way he can get as close as possible to her..." started the first twin.

"...but we soon realized that maybe Luna isn't the main target." finished the second. "Maybe Celestia is also a candidate for assassination." Both of the princesses' eyes widened.

"I think Luna is the main target," Soren commented confidently. Everypony looked at him. "Luna sensed that she was in danger. To the best of my knowledge, unlike Celestia's Royal Guards, Luna's guards have magically enhanced armor. A smart assassin would gain as much strength as possible to take out a powerful target. If he has Lunar armor, he has it because it's the easiest way to get close to Luna, and it gives him a strength boost. There's not an easy way to get to Celestia without doing the exact same thing but with Solar Armor. The problem with getting to Celestia is that she is always escorted by her most trusted guards, so she's safe all the time."

The princesses and twins were stunned by Soren's analysis. Soren continued. "So we know for a fact that this stallion is a Lunar Guard. Now we just need to narrow it down." Soren started rubbing his chin. When he glanced up at everyone and saw all of their shocked expressions, he stopped. "I became insanely smart again, didn't I?" Everyone nodded. Soren noticed that Luna was the most stunned of all, and he quickly found out why.

"You're him..." Luna said, "you're the Doctor. Aren't you?" Soren nodded and smiled. His words flashed in Luna's head: His new regeneration is closer than you think. "So all this time..." Soren nodded and motioned for her to stop.

"We have more important things to talk about than how I found out I'm the Doctor. Also, keep in mind that I don't have the TARDIS or sonic screwdriver by my side. I'm technically the Doctor, but I chose not to be him. I'm Soren now." Luna nodded. Celestia cleared her throat.

"Yes, back to more pressing matters. Luna, do you have a plan of action?" Luna became more serious and focused.

"Yes, dear sister, I do. I shall train Soren to use the Lunar Armor he obtained to the best of his abilities. As this happens, the twins and I will gather more information. We need to uncover this assassin before he strikes." Celestia nodded with approval.

"Well then..." Celestia looked at everypony there. "Sister...Soren... Pega-Singers...let's get started."

------------

Ever since that peculiar night, Twilight has been pondering about the dream she had. 'Why did I dream about those Lunar Guards? Why were two of them fighting each other? Were they really trying to...end each other?' Even though a full day passed, Twilight remembered her dream perfectly. As a result, she estimated that it had to be more than some random dream; it meant something.

Twilight stood up from her bed, went to the bedroom window, and looked outside; the sun was setting. 'I need to go to Canterlot,' she decided. 'Maybe I can help. It's what the Doctor would do. Doctor...' Twilight sighed and went downstairs to leave.

Within minutes, she arrived at the Ponyville Train Station. There was only one more train that leaves for Canterlot, and she was determined to get on it. As she started to step onto the train, Twilight looked back at Ponyville and thought of her friends. 'I explained my dream to them; they'll know what I wanted to do.' Turning back towards the train, Twilight started her secret quest to go help whatever pony needed it.

--------------
The Next Day
--------------

"Princess?" Princess Luna looked at the Lunar Stallion addressing her. "Not that it's any of my business, but don't you think you're training that rookie too hard? He's been at it for five hours now." The two ponies looked at the guard undergoing training in the Lunar Barracks. He was currently fighting two other guards at the same time to focus on reaction. The other guards assumed that the rookie was still being punished for fighting within rank. To answer his question, Luna shook her head at the guard.

"We consider this an aftermath of his punishment. At the same time, this stallion intrigues us, so we are seeing what he can do." The slightly confused guard simply saluted and walked away. Meanwhile, Luna was pondering what the next step in their plan should be. 'We need to lure out the assassin, but how?' At this point, the rookie guard was knocked back by one of his opponents and now looked like he was exhausted. Luna shouted for them to stop, then she motioned the rookie over to her side as they walked out of the Lunar Barracks. "How did the training feel, Soren?" Recovering his breath, Soren looked at his friend.

"Exhausting...to say the least, but this training...is needed. As I was training...I could hear the voices of those...'ancestors' that the other guards talk about." Luna gave a small smile.

"Then you are almost fully connected with the armor. The ancestors will guide you, strengthen you, and even heal you. Connect with them as quick as possible because I have a plan."

"And this plan is..."

---------------

"HAHAHA. That's their plan?!" the mysterious stallion laughed as his assistant told him some important information. The waitress mare nodded and proceeded to explain.

"It can't be avoided. They'll find you eventually." The stallion laughed again, even though he knew she was right.

"'Tis true that this cannot be avoided, but this will also work to our advantage. Find out when the princess will connect with her guards in their dreams. While she is off in dream land, I'll kill her and whatever foolish guards are protecting her."

-----------------

"That just might work," said the shorter of the Pega-Singers. Princess Luna and Soren brought the duo into Luna's bedroom to explain the new plan. Luna had already explained everything to Soren on the way to find the twins. "So you can look at their thoughts just by going into their dreams?" Luna nodded.

The new plan was to have Luna invade the Lunar Guards' dreams as they slept to see if one of them was the assassin or knew something about him. Luna claimed that she can easily go into ten dreams a night if she tried, but she explained that it should only be five per night.

"Yes," Luna started. "We are also aware that it is an invasion of privacy, but it is for the good of Equestria. We shall start tonight."

"Luna," Soren said calmly, "I still think you should go into as many dreams as possible in one night. The more time you take, the more questions that will be asked." Luna put a hoof to her chin in thought. It took a minute for her to give an answer.

"Very well, Soren. Your logic is commendable. Guard my bedroom as we commence the plan." She turned towards the Pega-Singers and pointed a royal hoof at them. "And you two can help Soren, if you wish." The duo looked at each other, then back towards the princess.

"We're sorry, princess," the taller apologized. "We aren't fighters, we're entertainers. We can only do so much for you, Luna." The princess understood, so the pegasus singers left the room. It became quiet as Soren and Luna exchanged glances.

"'Tis very strange..." Luna said.

"What is?" Soren asked.

"We both still do not know their names. They have yet to properly introduce themselves beyond their stage name. Do you know their names?" Soren shook his head and looked out the window; the sun was just about to disappear under the horizon.

"I've known them for quite awhile and have yet to know their names. I just assumed they didn't want anypony to know. Anyways, shouldn't you start the plan?" Soren looked back at Luna after she failed to respond. He became nervous when he saw her. Luna was now standing erect, ears perked, mouth growling. She was staring into nothing, but she sensed something. "What is it?"

"He's coming. I sense powerful magic."

"Where—" And just like that, the glass doors to the balcony were smashed to pieces. A Lunar Guard had slammed through it. The guard took one look at Soren and instantly charged and tackled him. Soren was then slammed against the wall, nearly having all of the air knocked out of him. Even with weakened breath, Soren fought back. The assailant tried to headbutt and punch Soren, but Soren's hooves interfered with both plans. Luna grabbed the assassin with her magic and threw him off of Soren. Luna and Soren quickly stood side by side, facing the stallion. They were pretty confident that this assailant was done for...but then he started reciting an oath. The Lunar stallion oath! 'No...' Soren thought as he saw the necklace the guard was holding in his hoof. 'Not her armor...anything but that...' Luna and Soren's expressions changed to horror as the attacking pony changed before their eyes.

--------------

Twilight Sparkle groggily walked through the Royal Palace. She had stayed up for nearly forty hours, hoping to find the two ponies she saw in her dream. 'How can one sleep when they predicted something so serious?' she convinced herself. 'I don't know how Soren puts up with his starsight.' Since she is 'Celestia's Favored Foal,' Twilight was never asked why she was up so early or why she looked tired.

Twilight was just coming up to the castle's library when she heard a BOOM! Everypony near her started looking around, worried. 'No...' was Twilight's last thought before sprinting towards the cause of the explosion. It took a few minutes, but Twilight somehow found her way towards the origin of the explosion. 'Please don't end like the dream,' Twilight thought to herself as she bounded around the last corner. Just like her dream, Twilight saw the hole in the wall and two Lunar stallions fighting in the hallway. She saw the blade that one of them had; she also assumed the opponent didn't know about it.

Without thinking straight, Twilight forgot about her magic and decided on a silent approach. She began hugging the wall and slowly edging her way towards the fight. She needed to get close enough to stop both fighters, but she froze when she saw that the hidden blade had joined the fight. She gasped silently as she saw that it was a wing blade. Wing blades are rarely used by anypony anymore. They are only used by skilled earth pony or unicorn fighters. Twilight stood there, frozen in fear, watching the opposing stallion barely dodge all of the bladed swings. The guard without a weapon was cut a few times but luckily they were only small cuts.

After a few seconds, the stallion without the blade found his opening. As the opponent swung his blade, the stallion kicked it hard and caused the blade to soar down the hall. Twilight's eyes widened in horror as her dream was coming true before her very eyes. The wing blade was coming straight at her face. All she could do was stand there, frozen in fear, as the blade swiftly came closer...

...and closer...



...and...closer...



...until it was stopped. Realizing that she wasn't dead, Twilight looked forward and saw that the blade was stopped by a pale-yellow aura, but before she could find the unicorn doing the spell, the blade was sent flying back towards the fighting stallions. The stallion that didn't wield the wing blade saw it coming and ducked. The owner of the blade looked up from the ducking guard to see a blade fly straight at him and into his chest. The blade struck just below his medallion, right into the small, unprotected area of his chest. Slowly, the surprised stallion collapsed on the ground, bleeding externally but mostly internally.

Twilight, just having witnessed the extreme change of events, finally looked behind her to see a waitress unicorn, who looked like she didn't regret the fact that she had just murdered a pony. This mare was pale-yellow with a tan mane, and she was staring evenly at Twilight before putting her hoof to Twilight's lips to shush her. "He deserved it" was all she said as she trotted down the hall. Now oblivious to the mare she just silenced, the waitress didn't notice that Twilight decided to slowly follow her.

The other Lunar Guard that was fighting was standing over the dead stallion. 'I don't know if this is right,' he thought to himself. He was suddenly caught off guard as somepony pushed in the medallion on the dead pony's chestpiece, causing the armor to retract. Luckily, the green and yellow-eyed guard didn't recognize the dead pony before him, nor did he recognize the mare that picked up the medallion. He noticed her mumbling to herself.

"What are you do—" He couldn't finish his question as the mare underwent the process of the first transformation of a Lunar Guard. She squirmed as the armor enveloped her body. Seconds later, the transformation was complete. The other guard was shocked beyond belief. 'Why did it have to be a mare?!' he screamed to himself. 'Why does she have to look just like her!' The now grey-coated mare, although in a frenzied state, spoke normally to Soren.

"Oh, I'm not doing anything...just killing you..."

Author's Note:

I am now at the point of the story where I really like to work on it.