• Published 29th Nov 2013
  • 525 Views, 15 Comments

Soren the Alicorn Part 3: A True Hero? - KingNyroc15



A hero can only take so much chaos before they lose who they are.

  • ...
21
 15
 525

A Voice in the Night

Author's Note:

"Renegade" is performed by Styx.
"Look Around" is performed by Red Hot Chili Peppers.

In Soren's opinion, hope was returning. He and Zecora managed to create a plan earlier. Although it was a decent plan,
Soren didn't like what could possibly happen as a result. The only logical thing to do was to somehow defeat Nightmare Moon again. Soren and Zecora assumed that Nightmare Moon most likely possessed Luna. Thinking of the plan, Soren felt sorrowful that there was a chance that he had to defeat Nyra just to get to the mare of darkness. Soren was willing to accept this possibility as long as it would save Equestria. 'Screw my sanity,' he thought bitterly. 'It's not like I was getting it back anyway.'

As soon as he knew everything he had to do, Soren left Zecora's hut and ran towards Ponyville; it was too risky to fly. Upon leaving Zecora's home, Soren noticed that it was still night. At first, he thought it was simply the thick canopy of the Everfree Forest, but after looking up, he could clearly see the stars and crescent moon. This made Soren worry once again; he began sprinting.

It took him a few minutes to return to the edge of the Everfree. He stopped in the fields between Ponyville and the forest. He knew he couldn't just rush into town, for the Lunar Guards were sure to be there. Soren squinted his eyes to see anything going on in the dark town. Finding no luck, the alicorn began trotting quickly yet quietly towards the town. He had to get to the library; he needed the help of his friends for this plan to work. Soren snuck through alleyways and behind buildings. Something was wrong though. Where were all of the guards? All he could see were boarded up (or barred up) houses.

Another minute of sneaking went by before Soren saw the library. After looking around one last time, he ran quickly over to the window. He looked between the strange, newly-added bars and saw his seven friends sitting in a circle, talking. Soren walked over to the front door and attempted to open it, but it wouldn't budge. Upon using magic on it, a painful shockwave was sent throughout Soren's body. He fell backwards and slammed onto the ground.

"That is some strong magic the guards are using," Soren comment quietly. Instead of attempting that again, Soren tried to teleport inside the building. He couldn't do it at first, for the magic surrounding his destination threw off his aim heavily. By chance and luck, he managed to do it. Soren teleported into the middle of his friends' circle suddenly, causing everyone to gasp or scream.

"Soren?!" Twilight exclaimed, holding her chest. "Why, by Celestia's name, would you scare us like that?!"

"Shhh!" Soren hushed. "Stay quiet. I don't know if those Lunar Guards are still in Ponyville."

"They're not," Rainbow said. "They left about an hour ago."

"That's perfect. Zecora and I came up with a plan, and I'll need all of you to do something for me. Since I can guess that empty buildings weren't put on lockdown, all of your homes, maybe except Pinkie Pie's, should be open. Here is a list of what I need from each of you..."

------------

Soren was now flying towards Canterlot. His friends found all of the things he needed to confront Nightmare Moon. To Soren, it was like a piece of each of his friends were with him, cheering him on and giving him strength. 'I can do this, I can do this,' Soren continued to tell himself, albeit extremely nervous.

As Canterlot came into sight, Soren noticed various smoke pillars coming from the palace. 'This better work,' he thought as he landed in front of the slightly ruined castle. Gathering his magic to increasing the volume of his voice, Soren took a few deep breaths before beginning.


Oh Mama, I'm in fear for my life from the long horn of the law
Law mare has put an end to my running and I'm so far from my home

Oh Mama I can hear you a cryin', you're so scared and all alone
Hangcolt is comin' down from the gallows and I don't have very long


The jig is up, the news is out
They finally found me
The renegade who had it made
Retrieved for a bounty
Never more to go astray
This'll be the end today
Of the wanted colt

Oh Mama, I've been days on the lam and had a high price on my head
Lawmare said 'Get him dead or alive' and it's for sure she'll see me dead

Dear Mama I can hear you cryin', you're so scared and all alone
Hangcolt is comin' down from the gallows and I don't have very long


The jig is up, the news is out
They finally found me
The renegade who had it made
Retrieved for a bounty
Never more to go astray
The judge'll have revenge today
On the wanted colt


Soren voice was heard throughout most of Canterlot due to the silent night. He needed Nightmare's attention for his plan to work. Within seconds of the song's ending, Lunar Guards landed everywhere around Soren. What Soren didn't know was that the guards were creeping up on him during the entire song.

"YOU WILL BE TAKEN PRISONER AND PRESENTED TO HER HIGHNESS!" one of the guards ordered.

"Such loud voices," Soren joked. "Can't you tone it down a little? Ponies are trying to sleep...I think. It's hard to tell with this eternal night going on!"

"SILENCE!!!" a different, feminine voice yelled.

Every Lunar Guards shivered and instantly bowed. Soren looked around at this phenomenon then at the castle. His eyes widened when he saw the mare he was expecting. There, standing at the entrance of the Royal Palace, was Princess Luna. With her head tilted high and a smirk on her face, the princess of the night stared at Soren.

"Ahh, the Elemental Guardian...the newest Time Lord...the amnesiac alicorn. Finally I have found you." Soren instantly noticed that Luna's voice sounded like two ponies were talking. Standing as tall as he could, Soren spoke back to 'Luna.'

"You only found me because I wanted you to," he retorted. "You could never find me in a million years, Nightmare Moon." Princess Luna laughed wickedly, causing Soren to shiver.

"So you know. You're smarter than I first thought. Enough games..." Purple aura protruded out of Luna's horn and began to surround her body. It swirled around the princess and caused her to faint. Instead of looking at the unconscious Luna, Soren was looking at the swirling mass of magic floating above her. It compressed in on itself and exploded in a burst of strong wind and blinding lights. Soren shielded his eyes at first, but soon dropped his foreleg after the light faded. Soren tried not to shake in fear as looked upon the spell's result.

Flying above Luna was a translucent, black mare with a flowing, ethereal mane that looked like space. She had a purple helmet and armor on, and her eyes were serpent-like and cyan-colored. Her mouth smiled at Soren with plenty of fangs to show. Nightmare Moon was reborn.

"That feels much better, even though it isn't a physical form," Nightmare commented as she landed next to the unconscious Luna. "Now...where were we?" Nightmare grinned, and her guards all stood up to ready themselves.

"I don't know about you, but I was going to teleport to Ponyville. Catchmeifyoucan!" One flash of light later, Soren was gone. Nightmare Moon's smile became bigger.

"I love a pony that likes to play games. GUARDS, AT ATTENTION!" Every Lunar Guard in the area stood up and saluted their princess. "Just in case that stallion is attempting to trick us, half of you search Canterlot! The other half is with me! We have an alicorn to hunt." Nightmare flew back into Luna then took to the air.


----------------
Half an hour later
---------------


Nightmare Moon slowly flew around the edge of Canterlot as she eyed the guards searching for Soren. None of them have spotted that cursed alicorn yet. She frowned after every guard reported no sightings. Landing in front of a group of stallions, Nightmare Moon addressed them.

"GUARDS, GATHER THE REMAINING TROOPS AND MEET US AT PONYVILLE! THE ALICORN SAID HE WAS HEADING THERE!" The Lunar Guards saluted and sprinted back towards Canterlot. Meanwhile, Nightmare Moon launched back into the sky to lead the closest three guards, who she instructed to follow her, to Ponyville. She scowled as she looked at the small town from her current location. 'I will find you, Guardian, and your death won't be the only one.'

-------------

The Elemental Guardian looked upon the night-shrouded Ponyville with both confidence and fear. He feared his plan wouldn't work and that Nightmare Moon will completely ignore him just so she could wreak havoc upon his home. Gulping, Soren closed his eyes, and his horn lit up. He levitated an instrument (which he recently grabbed from town) in front of him. He hit a button on the red, rectangular device and music played. Since he needed as much of the town as possible to hear his next song, Soren increased the volume as loud as it could go (which was pretty loud considering Vinyl invented the awesome contraption). Horn aglow, Soren took a deep breath and began.


Stiff club, its my nature,
Custom love is the nomenclature.
Turn down mass confusion,
Hit the sky because we just keep cruisin'.
Double my fun, double my vision,
Long hard look at my last decision.
Hustle here, hustle there,
Hustle me mare and you best beware.

It's emotional and I told you so,
But you had to know so I told you.
Soft walk to horizon,
One big blast that no one dies in.
This for the folks in Ponyville,
It'll come true if you say it will.

Look around, look around, look around
All around, all around, all around
Look around, look around, look around
All around, all around, all around


It's emotional and I told you so,
But you had to know so I told you.
Please don't look right through me,
Hurts my heart when you do that to me.
Night lights out my window,
Ponyville breeze gonna stroke my skin though.
Dropped a lot of words on an old brick wall,
Rob a lot of banks got a pedigree scrawl.
Put my peg into your square,
Run around like we just don't care.

Look around, look around, look around
All around, all around, all around
Look around, look around, look around
All around, oh yeah-eah-eah!


Seeing many lights in town turning on, Soren flew towards Ponyville to find his friends. 'Now that everypony knows it's safe to come out, time to start the plan.'