• Published 29th Nov 2013
  • 526 Views, 15 Comments

Soren the Alicorn Part 3: A True Hero? - KingNyroc15



A hero can only take so much chaos before they lose who they are.

  • ...
21
 15
 526

The Grand Galloping Gala

The train ride to Canterlot didn't take very long. Soren and his friends arrived in the capital just as it was becoming nighttime. When Twilight and her friends told Soren that they rode a horse-drawn carriage to the Gala last time, he was surprised they were simply taking the train this year. He figured there was some catch but knew there wasn't.

When the train stopped at the Canterlot Train Station, Twilight and her friends were the first ones to exit, leaving Soren to exit right behind them like a gentlecolt. Mares first after all. After stepping off of the train, the group of friends looked behind themselves to see many other nicely dressed ponies exiting the same train. They have already seen these ponies but never really got a good look at some of their outfits. Some were fantastic, but they all agreed that Rarity's designs were much better. A stallion and a mare trotted past Soren, humming a catchy tune. Some of his friends heard the couple's humming and became excited.

"Those two were humming the Gala song!" Pinkie exclaimed. "I just love, love, love that one!"

"I think we all liked singing that, Pinkie," Twilight said, "but I don't think we can sing the exact same words like our first Gala. How about we just sing one part of it until we get to the castle?" Everypony agreed, except Soren since he didn't know any of the lyrics. "Don't worry, Soren. It's just one portion of the song. I'm sure you will catch on. Follow my lead, girls!"

The six mares lined up side by side and tilted their heads up, confident and smiling. At first, Twilight started humming the song, then she began singing the same lyrics over and over again. Everyone else learned the lyrics instantly and joined her. Very soon, the six of them started to trot in rhythm to the song. Soren trotted next to them and listened to the lyrics.

Into the Gala, we must go;
We're ready now, we're all aglow.
Into the Gala, let's go in
And have the best night ever!
Into the Gala, now's the time
We're ready and we look divine!
Into the Gala, let's enjoy this night forever!

Eventually the other ponies around the girls began to sing and trot along with them. At this point, the six mares, with Soren singing next to them, were leading a group of singing ponies towards the castle. Soren was very impressed how quickly these mares could get ponies to follow them. It only took around two minutes of rhythm trotting and singing to reach the castle. The seven friends ended the song when they reached the bridge. While many ponies walked past them, Twilight and her friends looked back at Soren.

"So how was that?" Rainbow asked.

"A lot of fun," Soren laughed. "Now let's go enjoy ourselves. Umm..." Soren was smiling. Twilight rolled her eyes and smiled back, knowing what he wanted to say.

"If you want to say it, then say it," she said. Soren smiled even more.

"Allons-y, girls!" The mares laughed and the seven of them began trotting towards the entrance.

Once inside, Soren and co. saw a line, and at the end of the line was Princess Celestia, greeting every new arrival. Since they were the Elements of Harmony and the Elemental Guardian, the seven ponies walked past the line and up to the princess. Celestia noticed them and turned towards the group after greeting a pair of older ponies.

"Hello, everypony," she greeted regally. "Welcome to the Gala. How are all of you?" After everypony (except Soren) answered Celestia's question with varying answers, the princess nodded at them and looked at Soren. "Soren," she said a little softer, "how are you feeling? I heard from Twilight that you decided to leave Ponyville."

"I'm fine, princess," Soren answered evenly. "Can we talk about this later? I don't want to keep all of these ponies waiting." Even though he created an excuse, Soren honestly didn't want to hold up the line.

"Very well. I shall come find you after my sister switches places with me. I hope you all enjoy your night." The seven ponies nodded and walked deeper into the castle. Losing most of his upbeat attitude already, Soren was the first one to walk away from the foyer. His friends soon followed.

They caught up with him after he entered the ballroom and stopped dead in his tracks. Soren saw a four-pony ensemble playing onstage on the other side of the room. Around a dozen high class mares and stallions were seated and listening to the performers. The music didn't catch Soren's attention, but the musicians did. He knew who the musicians were by name. There was the sousaphone player, Beauty Brass, a cyan earth pony mare with a brown mane; the piano player, Frederick Horseshoepin, a brown earth pony stallion with a white mane; the harp player, Harpo Parish Nadermane, a purple earth stallion with a blue mane; and last but not least, the cello player and Soren's older sister, Octavia Melody.

Soren smiled and began looking for a table as close as possible to the stage; his friends soon joined him. The seven of them managed to find two tables next to each other. Soren, Twilight, Rainbow Dash, and Rarity took one table, while Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack sat in the other. Soren was waiting for Octavia to notice him and his friends so she would hopefully come and say hello.

Eventually, the ensemble's song ended and the musicians looked upon the applauding crowd. Two of the performers, one of whom was Octavia, rolled their eyes when they saw Pinkie Pie near the stage. They couldn't forget what happened last time. Octavia then noticed the rest of the mares and Soren. She muttered something to her musical friends then walked offstage to greet the seven ponies waiting for her.

"I see you all made it to the Gala...even you, Soren." When Octavia said Soren's name, everypony there could hear the slight anger in his voice. Soren flinched.

"Octavia–" he started nicely.

"Don't even try," Octavia interrupted, now angrier but not louder. "You planned on leaving me without saying goodbye. Why? Actually, don't bother explaining right now. We both know there's only one way to explain yourself, and you have about five minutes to decide whether to do it or not; our ensemble is on break right now. I will see you all later." Octavia walked away in a huff, leaving Soren silent.

"What does she mean?" Twilight asked Soren. She would have pressed for more, but Soren began walking away.

Passing Octavia's ensemble on the way, Soren walked onstage as the other three musicians walked off. Soren grabbed a microphone and took center stage. His friends looked over at Octavia and saw that her fellow musicians told her to pay attention. Soren had his sister's, and the entire ballroom's, attention as of now. He cleared his throat.

"Hello, everypony. My name is Soren, as you may or may not know by now. Before the ensemble returns, I would like to sing a song as an apology to my dear sister, Octavia." Soren illuminated his horn and brought something from backstage over to him; it was an acoustic guitar. Soren looked at the crowd and at his sister before starting. Closing his eyes, the alicorn played a few chords then began.


On the first part of the journey
I was looking at all the life
There were plants and birds and rocks and things
There was sand and hills and rings

The first thing I met was a fly with no buzz
And the sky with no clouds
The heat was hot and the ground was dry
But the air was full of sound

I've been through the desert
as a horse with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain
La, la, la la la la, la la la, la, la
La, la, la la la la, la la la, la, la

After two days in the desert sun
My coat began to turn red
After three days in the desert fun
I was looking at a river bed
And the story it told of a river that flowed
Made me sad to think it was dead

You see I've been through the desert
as a horse with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain
La la, la, la la la la, la la la, la, la
La la, la, la la la la, la la la, la, la

After nine days I let my name run free
'Cause the desert had turned to sea
There were plants and birds and rocks and things
There was sand and hills and rings

The ocean is a desert with it's life underground
And a perfect disguise above
Under the cities lies a heart made of ground
But the ponies will give no love

You see I've been through the desert
as a horse with no name
It felt good to be out of the rain
In the desert you can remember your name
'Cause there ain't no one for to give you no pain
La la, la, la la la la, la la la, la, la
La la, la, la la la la, la la la, la, la


Soren ended his song and put the guitar down. His eyes remained closed as he waited for the crowd's reaction. It took a few seconds, but one by one, the ponies started clapping their hooves in small applause. Soren looked around and smiled at the sight. 'Improvised songs go a long way apparently,' Soren thought. Octavia walked onstage and stood in front of him. They were facing each other as Soren waited for her to speak first.

"Is that the path you see yourself walking down?" Octavia asked. Soren shook his head.

"Octavia, that's the path I wish I could walk down."

"Don't talk like that. I know you have been through a lot, Soren, but we're family. We need to help each other."

"And that is precisely why I left," Soren replied. "Friends, family, everyone. I don't want to see them being hurt because of me. Evil follows me, that's a fact. Wherever I go, danger is right around the corner, but not this time. After I finish talking to Princess Celestia, I'm flying back to Ponyville. I'd rather not take the chance of endangering all of the ponies here." With that said, Soren teleported off of the stage and reappeared near the ballroom entrance. He looked back and made eye contact with his friends and sister. Soren then turned away and began walking out of the ballroom, leaving a dead silence to fill the room.

Author's Note:

"Horse With No Name" is copyrighted by America.