• Published 29th Nov 2013
  • 525 Views, 15 Comments

Soren the Alicorn Part 3: A True Hero? - KingNyroc15



A hero can only take so much chaos before they lose who they are.

  • ...
21
 15
 525

It's Time

Nightmare Moon's horn lit up as she levitated Soren off of the ground. He retaliated by casting an illumination spell to cause his body to shine like a star. With her eyes beginning to burn, Nightmare covered her face with a wing and lost concentration. Soren landed on the ground and quickly ran to his pile to grab something specific. He quickly put on some boots that Applejack (with the help of Twilight of course) gave him to add power to his physical attacks. When he turned around, though, Soren saw Nightmare Moon appear right in front of him, back facing him. With both hooves, she kicked Soren and sent him into a pillar, which caused a section to be taken from it.

After skipping across the ground, Soren steadied himself and watched as Nightmare sprinted towards him. He prepared himself for another impact but was surprised when she teleported away. Taking a guess as to where she would be, Soren quickly leaned forward and prepared his back legs. Once he heard a crack of air, he bucked as hard as he could behind. He cheered on the inside when he felt contact. A surprised Nightmare Moon was sent towards a nearby wall but recovered almost instantly.

"ENOUGH!" she shouted. "WE WILL END THIS NOW!"

"We?" Soren asked but became scared after he realized what she meant. Nightmare smiled when she saw Soren face covered with fear.

"You thought you had gotten rid of her, but in reality, she never left my side after you showed up in Canterlot earlier. Say hello to your old friend." Soren took a step back as a silhouette jumped into view past one of the windows then broke through it. Nyra smashed through the window, leaving glass shards all over the floor. Looking at Soren, she grinned, which allowed him to see her fangs. 'Perfect,' Soren thought with as much confidence as nervousness.

"Thought you could hide forever, Soren?" Nyra asked.

"Well now that we're all here, how about we—" Nightmare Moon began.

"End this. Yadda yadda yadda, we know," Soren interrupted. "But before that...Rainbow Dash would you like to quit hiding and join me already?" Rainbow Dash poked her head out from the doorway.

"But how did you know?" she asked.

"I figured you saw Nyra flying towards the Everfree Forest and decided to follow her. Plus, I know you would never leave my side in a situation like this, no matter how much I begged."

"You bet your jeweled-flank I won't!"

"SILENCE, BOTH OF YOU!" Nightmare Moon interrupted. "Nyra, attack them!"

"Actually, how about I stop you for just a second longer?" Soren offered. He levitated another item from his pile and brought it to him. As he fastened it around his neck, Soren spoke to the two mares across from him. "Do either of you know what this is?"

"A Lunar Medallion?! How?!" Nightmare exclaimed.

"Got it from the Spirit World. Anyway, I'm going to use this because without it, I won't survive what's coming next, although I probably won't survive this either way."

"What can you possible do to stop us?" Nyra asked.

"I'm sorry you had to ask that, Nyra, I truly am." Soren's voice became sorrowful now. "Nightmare Moon, you may have been resurrected somehow, but that doesn't mean you have your immortality back just yet. There is one thing I can do that will..." Be looked at Nyra and sighed. "...that will destroy both of you."

"But not you?" Nyra wondered. Soren nodded and put up a shield around him and Rainbow as he walked up to his marefriend.

"Rainbow Dash, I was really hoping it wouldn't come to this, but you decided to help me and this is the easiest way to defeat them. Ready?"

"If it's to stop them and save Equestria, yes," she smiled at him with such confidence and trust that he smiled as well.

"Again, I'm sorry for doing this." Soren's horn began to glow as it touched Rainbow's forehead. Soren quickly began straining to cast the spell he planned to use. Meanwhile, Nightmare Moon and Nyra began sending spells at the shield, hoping to break it. Soren's horn began to shine twice as bright as Rainbow felt intense magic surge through her.

"What are you...doing to me?" she strained. "It...hurts."

"Stay strong. I'm almost done." Soren's horn became even brighter. Opening his eyes, Soren's confidence rose as he saw Rainbow's mane and tail beginning to transform. He could also feel the heat coming off of them.

An explosion of light sent Soren away from Rainbow. He looked at her and gaped at what he saw. Even Nightmare Moon and Nyra had to stop their barrage of spells to stare, wide-eyed, at the new Rainbow Dash. This wasn't quite like her other form; this was something a little different yet more powerful. Rainbow Dash's mane and tail had transformed into burning, rainbow fire and was crackling with embers. On the ground, a ring of more rainbow fire surrounded her. Rainbow looked forward with her red-colored eyes as her flames reflected off of them. She stared at her two enemies, grinning all the while.

"Is that all?" Nightmare grinned back. "A more powerful ally will be our downfall?" Nightmare turned towards Soren when there wasn't an immediate answer. She saw him mouthing something as he sat down, but she couldn't tell what. "Nyra, what is he saying?"

"The Lunar Oath..."

"By Luna's will, and dark of night!" Soren ended his oath then metallic armor surrounding him. When the transformation was over, Soren was grey coated with a black mane. He also had fangs and bat wings just like Nyra.

"We need to retreat, your highness!" Nyra exclaimed.

"Never! These weaklings could never defeat us!" Nightmare assured.

"That's where you're wrong," Soren said in a deeper voice. "Rainbow Dash's body is full of magic right now...too full actually, but that was the plan. Do you two know what happens when a body cannot handle a lot of magic?"

"It vents it at every opportunity."

"Bingo. Do you want to know why you are about to be defeated by something other than the Elements of Harmony?"

"Enlighten me," Nightmare replied, annoyed.

"I'm the Doctor. I've been alive for too many regenerations to count. I've helped many ponies, but hurt the same amount. I don't deserve the acknowledgments I receive nor do I deserve the friends I've made. I've caused too much harm, lost too many people and ponies to deserve praise and thanks. It is true that I've helped a lot, but in the end, I do more harm than good. I'm glad it's going to end this way: me sacrificing myself to do one last noble deed that will not end in consequence. These ponies don't deserve us here, Nightmare Moon, and you know it. You knew you had a high chance of defeat, so why attempt anything? So you can prove to yourself and Equestria that you still have the power to take over? It doesn't matter, this ends here. I may not deserve to be their protector, but you can be sure that I will give my last breath to these ponies. My name is Soren, I'm from the planet Gallifrey, I erased my memories to become the pony I am today, I loved Princess Luna and Rainbow Dash, I'm the first Elemental Guardian of Equestria, and this will be my last day of existence!!!"

Soren's shield dropped and a massive explosion annihilated the room.

------------

Meanwhile in Ponyville, Twilight and her friends were once again trapped inside their own town, except this time, her, her friends, and many other ponies were rounded up into Town Hall. They have only been inside for half an hour so far. It took the Lunar Guards awhile to imprison most of the town. Applejack suggested that they fight off the guards, but Twilight explained that the guards would most likely harm any or all ponies as a result. They couldn't take the risk; also, Soren had a plan that he said would defeat Nightmare Moon.

Twilight once again found herself staring out of a nearby window as she became lost in thought. Even though her thoughts were very detailed and complicated, Twilight still became distracted by a rumbling noise coming from outside. The Town Hall shook, and everypony inside ran over to the windows to see what was causing it. Voices of panic, amazement, and awe could be heard as the townsfolk of Ponyville stared at the fiercest (and scariest) Sonic Rainboom they have ever seen. It was as if the sky itself was burning into ashes. Twilight eyes widened once she determined where it was coming from.

"Girls!" Twilight called. "Get over here now!" Applejack, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy ran over to their friend within seconds. "Do you all realize where the epicenter of that is?"

"The Everfree Forest," Fluttershy answered.

"Yes, but it's in the direction of the ruined castle. That's where Soren said he was going to fight..." Twilight leaned in close so only her friends would hear her. "...Nightmare Moon." The five mares still haven't mentioned to anypony that Nightmare Moon has returned. Whenever the Lunar Guards spoke about Her Highness, the citizens of Ponyville assumed they were talking about Princess Luna.

"We need to get over there now," Applejack said. The other four mares nodded in agreement. The guards, also staring at the fiery Rainboom, never noticed the four mares who snuck out of the Town Hall.

------------


The Elements of Harmony Shrine was just a small part of the rubble that filled the currently burnt and destroyed castle room. Fires of every size and every color of the spectrum were scattered about the area. A pile of rubble near the doorway began to shift and move. A body crawled its way out from underneath the pieces of wall and began to scan the room. After looking at the fire and wreckage that painted a horrible picture of destruction, the pony looked at himself. His medallion was disintegrated and his white coat was stained with dust, burnt from fire, and scarred from debris. He smiled after seeing that he was alright.

He quickly scanned the room again, looking for Rainbow Dash. He found her unconscious near a pillar, mostly unharmed. Soren began to walk over to her, but soon felt a very sharp pain stab him in his side. He fell to the ground as a result. After he sat up, Soren looked at his hooves and noticed something frightening. Golden mist was evaporating off of them.

"No..." he whispered. "I thought I was fine." Soren looked up at his unconscious marefriend and felt a tear form in his eye.

He scanned the room once again as he waited for his time to come. Soren saw Princess Luna, who was also unconscious, and noticed nebulous mist leaving her body and disintegrating into the air. Beside Luna, Soren saw Nyra, who he assumed was dead since Nightmare Moon was defeated. He wanted to walk over to her, but the pain he was feeling was too great to do anything except to drag himself over to a massive, nearby hole in the wall that overlooked the Everfree.

Soren looked out over the forest and listened to the peaceful sounds of the night. Another sharp pain filled his side and regenerative mist escaped from his mouth. He looked from his hooves to the forest and realized what he should do. 'They deserve at least one more,' he thought as he struggled to stand up. Looking across the forest and imagining Ponyville, Soren's horn began to glow, making his voice loud enough to reach his requested destination. 'This is for Ponyville.'


Into the night
Desperate and broken
The sound of a fight
Nyra has spoken

We were the kings and queens of promise
We were the victims of ourselves
Maybe the ponies of a lesser God
Between heaven and hell
Heaven and hell


Into your eyes
Hopeless and taken
We stole our new lives
Through blood and pain
In defense of our dreams
In defense of our dreams

We were the kings and queens of promise
We were the victims of ourselves
Maybe the ponies of a lesser God
Between heaven and hell
Heaven and hell


Soren sensed a pony next to him, so he turned his head. He gasped when he saw Nyra standing there, except she looked different. He could see through her! She was a spirit. Nyra smiled sweetly at Soren then Soren began to cry. She ushered for him to continue singing.


The age of Gods is over
A darkness comes and all
These lessons that we've learned here
Have only just begun

We were the kings and queens of promise
We were the victims of ourselves
Maybe the ponies of a lesser God
Between heaven and hell

We are the kings
We are the queens
We are the kings
We are the queens


"Your voice is just as beautiful as before," the spirit of Nyra commented.

"I'm so sorry, Nyra," Soren apologized while crying. "You died because of me. I failed you."

"No you didn't, Soren. You made me feel like I was special. You gave me purpose and a second chance at life. I don't blame you for what happened, nor do I blame Rainbow Dash. I have already forgiven both of you for what happened. The past is the past, so look forward to the future." Soren was about to say something, but he saw Nyra starting to disappear.

"Nyra, wait!"

"Do not fret, Soren. I will also be a part of your conscience. I can help guide you through the dark times." Nyra's spirit vanished, and Soren was left alone, standing by the hole in the wall. He looked to where Nyra's body was and saw that it was still there. He soon felt the stabbing pain again. It was time. Soren looked straight down, right at the pieces of glass that surrounded him.