• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 1,730 Views, 221 Comments

Time Lord: The Story of North Star - Thrawn1800



My name is North Star. I'm a Time Lord. I don't know how , but I'm know I'm not where I should be.

  • ...
23
 221
 1,730

Chapter 4: Unexpected Occurances

Chapter 4




At some point, I regained awareness. I kept my eyes closed, not feeling any particular need to do otherwise. I laid still, enjoying the feeling of warm sunlight on my body. I felt a bit itchy on my sides, but I didn’t bother with it. After a while, I stretched out one of my hindlegs. It felt so good, that I did the other one. I proceeded to stretch my entire body, but when I extended my neck, my nose came into contact with something warm and fuzzy.

I opened my eyes, and found my nose was pressed against another pony’s. That pony just happened to be Caramel. He was fast asleep, or at least he was until I pushed myself back, exclaiming in surprise. I fell off the bed with a thud and he started awake. He must have figured out what happened, because he started apologizing. At the same time, I pushed myself upright and started babbling back. My head throbbed painfully, and I clutched it. Caramel ran around the bed to me, looking concerned.

“Sorry!” he said again. “I fell asleep! I didn’t mean anything by it!”

“Alright, fine!” I said, my head continuing to throb. “Why does it feel like my head’s being hammered on by a bunch of mad diamond dogs?”

“You’re suffering from minor blood loss. You’re lucky it wasn’t worse.”

“Blood loss?”

“That cut you got? It was bleeding the entire day.”

“Right, that one.”

“Here.” he said, extending a hoof.

Caramel attempted to help me stand, but the throbbing in my head was distracting. When he pulled me upright, I overbalanced and fell forward. He fell over backwards, and I ended up on top of him. I lost awareness for a moment, the pain in my head becoming temporarily overpowering. When the haze cleared, I found myself lying on top of him. I also discovered that our lips were… in close contact. We were staring at each other, and I attempted to move. The shock of the moment had caused me to freeze up. He felt warm, and soft. He looked the way I felt. Unsure, his eyes shifting between mine.

The door to the room opened, and Big Macintosh walked in. I forced my limbs to respond, which hurt slightly. I pushed myself off of Caramel, standing up. He unfroze too, and we simultaneously attempted to explain what had happened. Big Macintosh listened silently. I had no idea how he could listen to both of us and still understand, but somehow, he managed.

“Ah see.” he said. “Well, if ah help, ah think we can avoid that.”

He and Caramel helped me to climb back into the bed. I rolled onto my back, and the pain in my head subsided slightly. Big Macintosh recommended I try to go back to sleep, then he and Caramel left. I knew he was right. I’d heal faster if I slept more. I’d had my fair share of injuries, but blood loss was a new one. It seemed particularly nasty to me, and the headache came and went infrequently.

It took me a long time to fall asleep. I was still thinking about what had happened. My lips still tingled from contact with Caramel’s. Why did I have to freeze up? I could have removed myself, but instead, I was totally dependant on help from another. But… why hadn’t he done something? He had looked as frozen in place as me. I had seen it in his eyes, he’d been as confused and unsure as me. When the warm darkness of sleep took me, the memory of his soft body remained uncomfortably with me.

___________________________________________


Caramel and Big Macintosh left North’s room, going downstairs to the living room. Caramel hadn’t spoken the whole time, and Big Macintosh didn’t speak either. Applejack, who was seated on the old couch, was another story.

“What happened?” she asked. “What was all that racket?”

“Um…” Caramel said, feeling uncomfortable. “Well, you see…”

He explained what had happened. Applejack didn’t comment when he’d finished, which just made him feel worse.

“I-I didn’t mean to.” he mumbled.

“Ah’m sure you didn’t.” she said. “But you two seem to end up in that kind of situation a bit too often.”

“But it’s only happened twice.”

“Ah know, but ah would have thought that once was too much. Unless you enjoy it?”

“N-no.” he said, his cheeks now burning. He wasn’t actually sure if that was true or not. Though, of course, he wasn’t going to tell them that.

“My point exactly.” Big Macintosh joined Applejack on the couch, and Caramel took one of the chairs.

“Where’s Braeburn?” asked Big Macintosh.

“He’s tucking Applebloom in.”

“He is?”

“She asked for North. When she found out what happened, she insisted on seeing him.”

“And?”

“Ah told her he was fine, and ah asked her if Braeburn would be alright. She said it was alright.” The two of them continued to converse, and after a while, Braeburn came downstairs.

“What was all that noise?” he asked, taking the other chair. “Ah almost had her asleep, then there was this giant crash.”

“Ask Caramel.” said Applejack. Braeburn turned to face Caramel, whose cheeks heated up.

“Well?” asked Braeburn, expectantly.

“Well, I… I fell asleep.” he started, avoiding their eyes. “And… and North woke up.”

“So?”

“Well, I think my head was… a bit close to his.”

“Oh. And then what happened?”

“Well, he fell of the bed. That must’ve been the crash you heard.”

“Probably.”

“Then, when I tried to help him up, you know, so he could get back on the bed…”

“What?”

“Well, I must have pulled a bit too hard.”

What?” Braeburn asked again, this time leaning forward slightly.

“He… he fell forward… on top of me. And… and…”

“And what?”

“We kissed!” shouted Caramel, the pressure too much for him. “We kissed, while he was lying on top of me!”

“Sorry I pushed.” said Braeburn, looking highly embarrassed.

The other three started a different conversation. They seemed to be carefully avoiding the subject of North. Caramel, however, couldn’t stop thinking about what had happened. North had stared at him, looking shocked. But he didn’t understand. North had looked ready to kill that stallion yesterday, but he hadn’t done anything to him. He’d just looked… uncertain.

“Caramel?” he heard his name being called. He looked up, Braeburn was standing in front of him.

“Are you alright?” he asked, looking concerned.

“I’m fine.” Caramel said. “Just tired. I think I’ll go home now.”

“Don’t you want to stay?” asked Applejack. “Help keep an eye on North?”

“I’ll be back in the morning.”

“Well okay. You travel safely.”

He nodded, and started for the door. Once outside, he began walking down the path to the road. When he’d reached town, he decided he’d stop in on a friend. He turned down a street, heading for Thunderlane’s house. When he’d reached it, he knocked on the door. After a minute, Thunderlane opened it.

“Hi.” he said, grinning. “Caramel, what’s up?”

“Can I come in?” Caramel asked.

“Sure.” He made way for Caramel, who walked inside. Thunderlane led him to the kitchen.

“Hungry?” he asked.

“Not really. How’s Rumble doing?”

“He’s fine. He’s staying at a friend’s tonight.”

“Cool.”

Thunderlane nodded, and they sat at the table. “So, what’s on your mind?”

Caramel took a deep breath, then explained what had happened. Thunderlane listened closely, and once he’d finished, was silent.

“Well, I’d say you two are just friends.” he said after thinking for a while. “But it’s a bad idea to jump to conclusions. I’ll also think on it some more, okay?”

“That’d be great. Thanks.” said Caramel, grateful for the insight. He yawned. Outside, the sun had set, and his earlier… nap hadn’t been too restful. “I think I’d better go home now.”

“Sure.” They walked to the door, and Thunderlane opened it for him. Caramel thanked him, then walked back out into the snow.

It didn’t take him long to get home, since he didn’t live very far away. He went inside, and straight upstairs. He showered quickly, brushed his teeth, then went to bed. He stared up at the ceiling for a while, reliving the day’s events. While Thunderlane had been helpful, he still wasn’t sure about the situation. It felt stuffy, so he got up and opened the window slightly. The cold air made him shiver, but he felt better already. He sat down, looking outside. Ponyville was very quiet at night, and he could hear the faint sound of the streams in the distance. They’d probably be frozen over soon. He looked up at the clear sky, watching the twinkling stars. Near the horizon, the moon was shining brightly, a distant crescent of white light. He laid his head on the window-sill. The faint memory of North’s lips against his persisting.

___________________________________________


Caramel had a weird dream that night, involving Pinkie Pie and an extremely large marshmallow. He was woken when someone spoke loudly.

“Whoa! How about dinner and a movie first?”

His eyes flew open, and he found himself on his bed. Next to him, Thunderlane was wiping his mouth off with a hoof.

“Did I...?” Caramel asked, ears flattened and cheeks going red.

“Yes.” said Thunderlane. “Your technique’s not that bad, actually.”

“Sorry-! Wait… why’re you here anyway? And… did you just ask me on... a date?”

“I was coming by to see you, but you were asleep at the window. I put you in bed, and I guess I fell asleep too. I’ve had a long day. As for the second one… up to you, I guess.”

Caramel got out of the bed, looking away from Thunderlane. He was pretty sure Thunderlane was joking about the date... right? He decided to ask.

“You’re joking… right?” Thunderlane’s only response was to raise an eyebrow and grin.

“I-I'll think about it.” he said, flushing brightly. “What did you want to tell me?”

“Well, I was thinking about what you told me earlier. I’m thinking, maybe you should just follow along, see where it goes.”

“What does that mean?”

“Don’t fight it, but don’t force it either. Just… just go with the flow.” The way he said that made Caramel laugh.

“I guess that can’t hurt.”

“Nnope.”

“Your ‘Big Macintosh’ voice needs work.” The two stallions shared a laugh. Thunderlane got control of himself, then he stood, grinning.

“I’ll be going then.” he said. “That’s all I wanted to tell you.”

“Thanks. Fly safely.”

“I’ll try. And what’s your answer?”

“To what?” Thunderlane grinned wider. Oh.

“Well… we could… hang out sometime soon.”

“Great, so it’s a date then!”

“No, it’s n-”

“I’ll pick you up, day after tomorrow.”

Thunderlane winked roguishly. He stepped up onto the windowsill, then he launched himself into the air. He spread his wings and flew off towards home. Caramel closed the window, and climbed back into the bed. Thunderlane was impossible. What was weirder was the fact that neither of them was a coltcuddler, so why the sudden interest? Probably another one of Thunderlane’s jokes. Maybe he was trying to help Caramel feel better? If so, asking Caramel on a… date was a weird way of doing it. Especially when he'd suggested that he try luck with North. He fell asleep quickly, now thoroughly exhausted.

___________________________________________


The two alicorn princesses and Discord were in the castle gardens. They’d been enjoying a nighttime stroll, having just escaped from a four hour council meeting. Despite the change in the times, they were just as boring as ever. Discord seemed to be having a private joke, laughing at random moments. Finally, Luna had to ask.

“Discord,” she said, “what is the joke?”

“Oh, nothing much.” he said. “Just a little something I’ve got in the works.”

“What would that be?”

“Oh, just something in Ponyville.”

“Would you care to elaborate?”

“Must I?” She gave him a deadpan stare.

“Oh, fine, if I must.” He told them what he’d been up to.

“What?!” Luna yelled. “But... but…?”

“Discord.” said Celestia, joining the conversation. “Is there any way to undo this?”

“Oh, I’m afraid not.” he said, his voice full of laughter. “But never fear, the effects will wear off… eventually! Until then…”

He materialized a few feet away, wearing a suit. Next to him, a projector screen had also appeared.

“Roll film!” he shouted.

On the screen, an image of North and Caramel appeared. The two of them were on the floor, North on top of Caramel. They were kissing, frozen in place and staring at each other. Their expressions were a mixture of shock, confusion, and uncertainty.

“Discord!” said Luna, looking angry.

“I told you, there’s nothing I can do now.” he said. “You’ll just have to wait, and hope he’s good at choosing coltfriends!” Luna was furious, but Celestia put a hoof on her shoulder.

“Discord is telling the truth.” she said. “There’s nothing anypony can do. We’ll just have to wait.”

She smiled, then added. “And hope he’s good at choosing coltfriends.”

Author's Note:

Feel free to comment. Just refrain from all sexual references.