• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 1,730 Views, 221 Comments

Time Lord: The Story of North Star - Thrawn1800



My name is North Star. I'm a Time Lord. I don't know how , but I'm know I'm not where I should be.

  • ...
23
 221
 1,730

Chapter 5: A Kiss in the Snow

Chapter 5




I woke slowly. My head wasn’t throbbing anymore, but I felt sore and tired. When I finally had the energy to open my eyes, I found Applejack sitting next to my bed. Behind her, through the window, I could see it was snowing lightly. The light of the sun through the clouds made the white snow seem a bit blueish. She smiled when she saw I was awake.

“Morning North.” she said. “Sleep well?”

“I don’t know.” I said. “I don’t feel like I’ve been sleeping. I feel like I just ran a marathon.”

She laughed, and stood. “Well, maybe something to eat’ll help.” She started for the door.

“I can walk.” I said quickly. I didn’t want her to go to any trouble. She turned to look at me.

“You sure?” she said skeptically. “You’re not exactly at peak performance or anything.”

“I’ll manage.” I said, forcing myself to sit up. I got down from the bed, carefully controlling my legs. I shook slightly, but I stayed upright. “See?”

“Alright, but if you insist on going downstairs, ah insist ya lean on me.” She looked serious.

“Fine.”

She walked over next to me, and I carefully leaned against her. I tried to put as little of my weight on her as possible. We started walking, making our way out through the door and down the hall. Our progress was slowed by the stairs, which might as well have been a series of cliffs at this point. When we made it down them (I gained several new bruises), she took me over to the couch. I protested, telling her I could make it to the kitchen, but she forced me to sit down. She entered the kitchen, where I heard her start up the stove. I leaned back into the couch’s soft cushions, forcing myself to relax. After my incident with Sombra, I’d felt horrible every time someone had to help me. Except for the Doctor. From him, it’d felt… special. A new thought occurred to me. Had the Doctor told me his name because he l-?

“Well hello there.” someone said, making me jump and lose my train of thought.

I looked over at a corner, where an old rocker sat. On the rocker, an old green mare was seated. Her white mane and tail were both done up in tight buns. This must be the Granny I’d heard Applejack and Big Macintosh mention.

“H-Hi.” I said nervously.

“Ah’m Granny Smith,” said the old mare, “but you can just call me Granny. Everypony does.”

“Nice to meet you.” I said.

“Don’t you worry,” she said, “ah don’t bite!” Applejack walked in carrying a bowl. She saw Granny Smith, and set it down.

“Morning Granny!” she said cheerfully. “Ah’ll get you a bowl of oats too if ya like.”

“Give her mine.” I said. “I think I can wait a minute.” She gave me a questioning look, but I waved a hoof at her. She picked the bowl up, and gave it to Granny Smith. She returned to the kitchen.

“Thank you.” said Granny Smith.

“It’s no problem.” I said. “Like I said, I can wait.” Granny Smith started eating, and Applejack soon returned with another bowl.

“Would you join us?” I asked.

“Well… okay.” she said, hesitantly.

Soon, the three of us were seated in the living room, munching away. As I ate, I felt my energy return. When we’d finished, Applejack took the bowls back to the kitchen. We’d had an interesting conversation, but it’d degraded into a back-and-forth between me and Granny Smith. She’d been around when Ponyville was founded, and I listened raptly as she retold the early years of the town. She was talking about the first barn raising, when Applebloom walked in. She saw me, and rushed over.

“Are you okay?” she asked, looking up at me.

“I’m fine.” I said. “I’m sorry we couldn’t do anything… yesterday?”

“Day before yesterday, and that’s alright. It’s not your fault.”

“Thanks for understanding.” She nodded. In the kitchen, the door banged open, making us jump.

“Sorry!” Caramel’s voice came from the kitchen. “I tripped!”

Applejack went in to the kitchen, and returned shortly, accompanied by Caramel. He was covered in a dusting of snow.

“Hi.” he said, seeing me. “Feeling any better?”

“A bit.” I said. “Eating helped.”

“Yeah. Um… would you like to hang out?”

“What do you mean?” I said, now watching him closely, my curiosity aroused.

“We could take a w-walk through town… i-if you’re up to it, that is.” Caramel was stuttering nervously.

“I think I can manage.” I glanced over at Applebloom. I had promised to spend time with her. “Can Applebloom come?”

“Sure, if she wants to.” We both turned to Applebloom.

“Yes!” she said excitedly, bouncing up and down in a passable imitation of Pinkie Pie.

"North, are ya sure yer up to this?" asked Applejack.

“I think I can handle it.” I said. “After all, I’m not going to be alone.”

“Well, if yer sure.”

“Let’s go!” Applebloom shouted, bouncing towards the door.

“Wait a minute young filly!” Applejack called, stopping her in her tracks. “You need to at least wear a scarf.”

“Fine!” Applebloom zipped upstairs and returned shortly, wearing a green and white scarf. “Now can we go?”

“Just a minute.” Applejack said. She too ran upstairs, coming back down carrying a bright red scarf.

“If yer going to do this, you should at least stay warm.” she said, wrapping it around my neck.

That’s when I realized I wasn’t wearing my collar. I wanted to keep it close, but I decided it would be rude of me to insist on wearing it instead of the scarf. The scarf was soft and fuzzy, and I could feel myself warming up a bit already.

“Thank you.” I said. “It-”

“Can we go now!?” said Applebloom impatiently.

“Yes, you can go!” said Applejack. “Just try to be back in time for dinner.”

I nodded in acknowledgment, and we proceeded outside. We walked down the path to the road, Applebloom racing ahead.

“Stay close!” I shouted after her.

It was still snowing, the flakes gently floating down from the sky. Still keeping an eye on Applebloom, I looked upward, tracing their paths. The air smelled fresh and clean, the cold stinging my nose.

“It’s beautiful, isn’t it?” said Caramel beside me. I nodded, bringing my focus back onto the filly running in front of us. She paused from time to time, waiting for us to get closer before running forward again.

“Every single one of them is different.” he continued. “Completely unique.”

“Yeah.” I said quietly. Soon, we’d reached the edge of town. Applebloom was waiting for us.

“Can we go meet my friends?” she asked. “Please?”

“Sure.” I said. “I’d like to meet them. Caramel?”

“Fine with me.” he said.

“Follow me!” she said, starting off into town.

We followed her for several minutes, until we came to a house on the edge of a large lake, which was frozen over. Applebloom knocked, and after a minute, another little filly answered. She was a white unicorn with pink and purple mane and tail.

“Hi Applebloom!” she said squeakily.

“Hi Sweetie Belle.” said Applebloom. “Wanna come ‘hang out’?”

“Just a minute. Mom?” she called over her shoulder. “Can I go ‘hang out’ with Applebloom?”

“Sure dear!” I heard a mare’s voice call. “Just be sure to take your scarf!”

“Okay Mom!” Sweetie Belle reached over to the wall next to the door, pulling down a scarf that matched her mane colors. Then she spotted us.

“Hi Caramel.” she said. “And, um…”

“North Star” I said, introducing myself. “But you can just call me North.”

“Okay.”

Soon, we’d also collected a little orange pegasus filly with a magenta mane and tail. Her name was Scootaloo, and the three fillies bounced along happily behind me and Caramel. We were walking aimlessly through Ponyville, while he pointed out features of the town. After a while, I started feeling hungry. I didn’t mention it, not wanting to be a bother. However, Caramel spoke first.

“You hungry?” he asked, while the fillies raced each other to a frozen fountain and back.

“A little.” I said.

“Girls?” he called, and the three of them raced over. “You want to go to Sugarcube Corner for something warm?”

“Yes!” they said in unison.

“Um… I don’t have-” I started, trying to explain my lack of bits. Caramel cut me off.

“I’m paying.” he said, turning to me. “I know you don’t.” He added, whispering.

“Let’s go!”

He started towards a large building we’d passed earlier. It looked like a gigantic life-sized gingerbread house, complete with frosting. The three girls led us inside. Several tables dotted the room, and one wall was lined with booths. We reached the counter, which was full of delicious looking confections, as well as one or two larger items. From behind the counter, Pinkie bounced up.

“Pinkie?” I said, surprised to see her. “You… work here?”

“Yes!” she said happily.

“Hi Pinkie.” said Caramel, who didn’t seem surprised to see her. “Girls, go ahead tell her what you’d like.”

While they did so, I tried to figure out what I’d like. There was so much to choose from, I was having a hard time deciding. When the three fillies and Caramel had finished, I still hadn’t decided.

“Um… I’d like a… muffin?” I said hesitantly.

“What kind?” said Pinkie excitedly. “We have blueberry banana orange strawberry snozberry hazelnut walnut-”

She rattled off a massive list, and by the end of it, I was even more unsure. Caramel, sensing my indecision, suggested I just get the walnut. I agreed, deciding to go with it. She rang up the price, and Caramel paid her. Then he led me over to one of the booths, where the girls were already sitting. He slid in, and patted the seat next to him. I hesitated, then I sat down next to him.

Soon, Pinkie brought our food, grinning widely. She bounced back over to the counter, and I struggled not to think about Starswirl. I looked down at the muffin, which was still steaming slightly. I blew on it, watching the steam swirling upward. The fillies and Caramel had already tucked in, so I took a bite out of it. The muffin was fantastic, and I finished it off quickly.

We stayed there for a while, chatting about unimportant things. Caramel told me that the girls had a club the called ‘The Cutie Mark Crusaders”. They apparently spent a lot of their time obsessing over finding their cutie marks. They whole time, the three fillies were talking quietly, throwing the occasional glance our way. When they heard us talking about them, they became even more interested in our conversation.

“Do you want to be a Crusader?” asked Applebloom suddenly.

“Why?” I asked, surprised.

“Well, you don’t have a cutie mark.”

I glanced down. “I know.”

“Well, maybe with your help, we can find our cutie marks faster!”

“Um… can I think about it?”

“Sure!” said Sweetie Belle. “Wait… how long are we talking here?”

That line right there hurt. I remembered when the Doctor had brought me back, after taking care of me in the Tardis. Starswirl had said something similar. I felt a hoof on my shoulder, and turned to see Caramel. He seemed to know what was going on. I shook my head, clearing away the memories.

“I don’t know.” I said, then smiled. “But probably not too long.”

“Okay!”

We got up and walked outside. The snow was still falling from the sky, and the streets were relatively empty. There was just the odd pony wandering by now and then. The girls ran ahead, giggling. Caramel and I watched them go, then started after them.

“Enjoy your muffin?” asked Caramel.

“It was good.” I said. “But she doesn’t make it easy, does she?”

“Not really.”

A snowball flew by, and we twitched out of the way. We turned to see the girls standing behind a hastily built snow fort. I pulled Caramel behind a snow bank as another volley missed us by inches.

“Commander Caramel!” I shouted. “Prepare to return fire!” He grinned.

“Yes sir!” he said, scooping up snow and compacting it.

When we had enough, we peeked over the snow bank, then ducked back as more snowballs flew past. We jumped up and threw a few of our own. The girls were giggling happily, dodging our snowy missiles.

“Prepare another volley!” I shouted. We laughed, scooping up more snow.

We continued for a long time, and the sun must have passed its highest point. The snow bank collapsed, and we moved to a new one. We continued for another hour. We let the girls win, ending the game. It involved my theatrically staged ‘death’. They ran over, laughing happily. I sat up, grinning.

“That was fun!” said Scootaloo.

“Yeah!” said Applebloom.

“Well, now what?” I asked.

“Tag!” shouted Sweetie Belle, taping Applebloom on the shoulder, then running.

Applebloom ran after her, and Scootaloo ran in the other direction. Caramel and I exchanged glances. I grinned, and he nodded, grinning back. We joined in their game, being sure to let them catch us from time to time. They were all laughing, and I couldn’t help but join in. As we played, I felt a warm glow burning in my chest.

After a while, Caramel was ‘it’. He chased after the fillies, but he wasn’t able to catch any of them. He came after me, and trapped me against a large snow bank. We were bathed in the red light of the setting sun, which was now visible through the clouds. He pounced on me, and we went tumbling into the snow. He stood over me, pinning me down with his hooves, his head was above mine. We laughed, exhilarated and full of energy.

Then to my surprise, Caramel leaned down and pressed his lips against mine. I didn’t fight him, instead I closed my eyes and leaned into it. I felt the warmth and softness of Caramel’s lips against mine, making the warm spot in my chest burn. He was trembling slightly, breathing slowly and deeply as he kissed me. When he withdrew, I opened my eyes. We stared at each other, unaware of anything around us. I hesitated a moment, full of uncertainty, then I leaned up and kissed him back... on the lips. He jerked in surprise, then he slowly leaned into it. When we separated, he looked as surprised as I felt. I pulled away slightly, shocked by what I’d done. He pushed himself upright, his cheeks flushed deep red.

“Um… I-I-I…” Caramel stuttered, looking embarrassed. He gave up the attempt and looked down at his hooves.

“Aww!”

I looked over at the three fillies. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle were leaning against each other, practically swooning. Scootaloo had a hoof over her mouth, pretending to throw up. I sat up, now watching Caramel, who wouldn’t look at me.

“I’m s-sorry.” he mumbled. “I-I… um… uh…”

“Don’t worry about it.” I said quickly. “It wasn't... I didn't... well... let’s… let’s just take the girls somewhere warm.” He nodded, and helped me up.

“How about Carousel Boutique?” suggested Sweetie Belle. “We can visit Rarity!”

“Okay.” I said, my cheeks still burning.

We followed the girls, who were in deep conversation. Both of us were still red, and neither of us looked at the other. When we reached Rarity’s house/shop, Sweetie Belle knocked.

“Rarity!” she yelled. Soon, the door was opened by Rarity.

“Hello girls.” she said, looking down at the three of them.

“And accompanying stallions.” she added, spotting Caramel and I.

“Hi Rarity.” I said, desperately hoping my cheeks had returned to normal.

“Why don’t you come in? You must be freezing!”

“Thank you.”

She stood aside, and we walked in. She ran out of the room, and returned with some fluffy white towels. She handed them to us, and we dried ourselves off as best we could. When we’d finished, she took them in her magic and carried them back out of the room.

“North!” exclaimed Rarity, as if she was seeing me there for the first time. “What on earth happened to you?”

I looked down at my bandages. “What? This?” I asked.

“No, no, Applejack told me what happened. Those dreadful stallions. What happened to your mane?”

“I just towel dried it. Shouldn’t it-”

“I’ll fix you right up!”

She pulled me over to a chair, which was in front of a mirror. I protested, but she persisted. She made me sit, then she got to work. When she’d finished, she turned me back to the mirror. She’d trimmed and combed my mane. It looked better than even before I’d left Sweet Apple Acres.

“Thanks Rarity.” I said. “It’s nice.”

“Nice?” she asked.

“I can’t call it anything else, right? I can’t exactly say it’s ‘beautiful’, can I?”

“Oh. Right.”

I stood, and she started cleaning up after herself. I walked back over to the others. The three fillies were sitting next to each other. They were absorbed in their whispered conversation, and Caramel was sitting a few feet away. He gave me a nervous smile, which I returned. I didn't' know what to say after what had just happened, before either of us could speak, Applebloom did.

“Can we go get a few things?” she asked, eyeing me and Caramel.

“Like what?” I asked, curious.

“Just this and that. It won’t cost anything.” I looked over at Rarity, deferring to her.

“Go ahead girls.” said Rarity. “Just don’t be long.”

“Thanks Rarity!” said Sweetie Belle. The three fillies raced out the door before anything more could be said.

“What’re they up to?” I wondered aloud.

“Knowing them?” said Rarity, “I have no idea.”

“We’ll know soon enough.” said Caramel. "Um... North?"

"Yes?" I said, turning to face him.

"D-did you..."

"Did I what?"

"L-like it?" He didn't have to be more specific.

"Um... I... well..." He looked a bit scared as I stuttered. I took a deep breath, then I told the truth.

"Yes. Yes- at least, l think so."

"You did?" He looked both surprised and jubilant at the same time.

"I kissed you back, right?" He nodded.

"You two kissed?" asked Rarity, who looked confused.

"Um... yeah." I said. "But don't get any ideas Rarity."

"Oh, but..." I shook my head, and she sat down, pouting. "Fine."

"So... do you... like me?" asked Caramel.

"As a friend, definitely." I said. "In the other way... Don't know yet."

"Well... would you like to... spend the night?"

I thought about it for a minute. "We'll see. I'll decide once the girls are home, alright?"

"O-okay." He looked very nervous. Rarity growled in frustration, then she stood and walked upstairs.

I laughed quietly, then sidled over to sit next to Caramel.

"Cheer up!" I said ruffling his mane. "I haven't said no yet."

He pushed my hoof away, laughing. "Alright!" We were quiet for a moment, then he spoke again.

"You look nice."

"Thanks."

I wrapped an arm around him. He didn't protest, so I left it there. We sat in warm, companionable silence, waiting for the return of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.