• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 1,730 Views, 221 Comments

Time Lord: The Story of North Star - Thrawn1800



My name is North Star. I'm a Time Lord. I don't know how , but I'm know I'm not where I should be.

  • ...
23
 221
 1,730

Chapter 11: A Kiss In The Rain (Part 1)

Chapter 11



When I woke the next morning, I could sense something warm on the bed behind me. I turned over carefully, so as to not disturb Thunderlane, who was still in the bed next to me. He was sleeping peacefully, one hoof curled against his chest, the other draped across his muzzle. I found myself thinking about how cute he looked like this, but I shoved that thought out of my mind.

I carefully got off of the bed, sneaking across the treacherously creaky floor. I opened the door slowly, and slipped out. Once I was downstairs, I glanced around, trying to figure out what to do with myself. I meandered into the living room, coming back to the picture of Thunderlane and the mare.

Upon closer inspection, I saw that the mare was a soft yellow color, reminiscent of Fluttershy. Her mane was auburn, draping over her shoulder. Behind the two of them, a cloudscape was visible, covered with cloud buildings of remarkable grace. Between some of the buildings, rainbow streams flowed out of the city. Was this Cloudsdale?

“That’s my mom.” said a quiet voice behind me. I turned to find Thunderlane, who was very much awake. His expression was carefully neutral, as his eyes flickered across his mother’s face. “She died three years ago.”

“I’m sorry.” I said, looking between him and the picture. “How…?”

“How did she die?” he finished for me, a flash of anger crossing his face. “My father, that’s how.” The anger faded, replaced by the neutral expression. “Her name was May Breeze.”

The name sent a shock through me. “C-come again?” I said, wanting to make sure I hadn’t misheard.

“May Breeze.” He repeated himself, looking lost in thought. “She was named after a distant ancestor.”

“Really?” I laughed nervously. “Did this ancestor live around the time of Nightmare Moon, by any chance?”

“Yes.” He regarded me, curiosity breaking through the emotionless mask. “Why?”

“Um…” I laughed again.

“Did you…” He raised an eyebrow. “Know her?

I nodded, recalling my friend. When I compared her face to Thunderlane’s mother’s, I could see the resemblance. They both had a similar sort of nose.

“You did?” He was now paying me rapt attention. “What was she like?”

“She was… fun.” I said quietly, running through my memories. “She was… a lot like you and Rainbow Dash, actually.”

“How?”

“She was cool. And she cared about others. She liked to help others out, even if she didn’t know them.”

“Like you?”

“Like me.” I whispered. “She was one of the first friends I made.”

We sat in silence for a minute, both lost in memory. Then Thunderlane cleared his throat loudly.

“If we shower now, we won’t have to worry about what Rumble’s doing. He’s still asleep.”

“Yeah.”

I followed him upstairs, still thinking about all the ponies I’d never see again. I let him start the shower, then I stepped into the stream of hot water. I sat down, and he followed immediately after me, flicking his wings slightly.

“Thunderlane?” I said, the previous day’s conversation coming back to me. “You said there was something we could try.” He snorted and coughed, having inhaled a large quantity of water through his nose.

“Well, um…” he said, looking a bit red. “There is… but… er…”

“What?” I glanced up at his ears, which were twitching between erect and flattened.

“I-I-I…” His ears were now pressed back. “Um… do you trust me?”

“I told you who I really am.” I said pointedly. “Of course I trust you.”

“Well…” He coughed again. “Then please, d-don’t take this the wrong way.”

He scooted closer, and started to lean over my shoulder. He was really close, and I could faintly smell the same scent as I’d detected the previous day, when he’d held me to warm me up. Then the door burst open, and Rumble walked in. Upon spotting us, he froze in place. Then, his ears flattened, he backed out slowly.

“We should finish up.” said Thunderlane blankly, sitting up straight. He didn’t say much the rest of the time we were in there, only speaking to ask me to pass him the soap.

When we’d finished, we dried off and went downstairs. Rumble didn’t say a word about what he’d seen, and Thunderlane seemed preoccupied.

___________________________________________


Over the next two days, the three of us hung out around Ponyville. It was the weekend, so all of the students were out of school. Thunderlane took us to a largish park, and we tossed the hoofball around. I’d never really been into sports, but I found myself enjoying the time spent with them. Rumble loved to talk about the Wonderbolts, telling me all about the different members. He’d never been to a show, but he was able to tell me all about the amazing tricks they did.

As time progressed, I kept wondering what Thunderlane had meant to do. He’d been really close to me. Whatever it was, he didn’t attempt it again. At night, Thunderlane would come in after Rumble was asleep, and rub my back. It helped me relax, and I had no problem sleeping.

___________________________________________


“Winter Wrap-up!” said Thunderlane happily, walking into the kitchen. “Let’s eat, so we can go help.”

“It’s today?” I asked, surprised. “I didn’t think it was so soon.”

“Well, it is.” He retrieved a bowl of oatmeal from the counter and sat across from me.

“I wish I could help the pegasus team.” I sighed, thinking of my useless wings.

“I know.” He took a bite out of his oatmeal, chewing slowly. “But there’s plenty to do down here on the ground.”

When we’d finished eating, we headed out. Rumble was at school again, as it was a Monday. School remained in session on Winter Wrap-Up, as a means of keeping the younger ponies out of the way. However, according to Thunderlane, Ms. Cheerilee probably wasn’t having them do much today.

We soon arrived at the town square (which is actually round), finding a large crowd was already present, waiting to begin. The sound of mixed conversations was incredibly loud, forcing me to take a step back.

“You alright?” asked Thunderlane, noticing my distress.

“I don’t like crowds.” I said, eyes flickering across the one before me. “But I’ll manage.”

He nodded, and we proceeded forward. After a few more minutes of waiting, the Mayor called for our attention.

“Thank you for coming!” she shouted over the crowd, bringing the few straggling conversations to an end. “With so many of us, and Twilight Sparkle’s help, I’m sure we can wrap up winter even faster than last year!”

The crowd cheered, and I covered my ears with my hooves to block out the noise. It was like having knives shoved down my ears. When I was sure they were quiet, I removed my hooves.

“You all know what you need to do!” said Twilight, stepping forward. “Same as last year! Your team captains are waiting for you. Applejack’s at Sweet Apple Acres, Pinkie Pie’s at the lake, Rainbow Dash-”

“Is right here!” said Rainbow Dash, landing next to Twilight with a dramatic thud.

“-and Fluttershy and Rarity are waiting next to Carousel Boutique!” Finished Twilight, pointing in the direction of the building. “So, let’s get to it!”

The crowd cheered again, and split up. The unicorns and earth ponies split into two groups, heading either for Sweet Apple Acres or Carousel Boutique. All of the pegasi followed Rainbow Dash upwards, except for me and Thunderlane.

“Come on.” he said, standing and walking towards Twilight. “We’ll find you something to do.”

I followed him over to Twilight, who was talking to the mayor. When she saw us approaching, she excused herself and came to meet us.

“Good morning.” she said, smiling brightly.

“Morning.” said Thunderlane. “Twilight, is there something North can do? He can’t exactly… you know…”

“Fly.” I finished for him.

“Sure.” she said. She thought for a second, then her face lit up. “He could go help out Fluttershy wake the animals. I’m sure she’d appreciate it.”

“Thanks.” I said. “See you later Thunderlane.”

Before he could speak, however, Pinkie Pie popped up next to us. “Go with him!” she said, pointing at me.

“Why?” he said, staring at her.

“Pinkie Sense!” she shouted. I was acquainted with her ‘Pinkie Sense’ by now.

“Alright. Who am I to argue with that?”

Thunderlane and I made our way to Carousel Boutique, Pinkie watching us closely. I raised an eyebrow, and Thunderlane shook his head. Don’t even try.

When we arrived, the group of ponies that had been assigned to go here was mostly gone. A few remained, assisting Rarity with the making of nests for the birds. We walked up to her, just as she finished another masterpiece.

“Thunderlane.” she said cheerfully, not looking up from her project. “North. What’re you doing down here on the ground?”

“Um-” I started.

“Not you, North. I know why you aren’t. Thunderlane, I’m sure Rainbow Dash could use all the help she can get.”

“Pinkie Sense.” he said. This seemed to be enough explanation.

“Very well.” she said. “If you’re looking for Fluttershy, she and the others went that way.” She pointed to her left briefly, then returned that hoof to her latest construct.

“Thanks.”

Thunderlane and I found Fluttershy and her team in the woods, next to the path. They were waking up the animals, all speaking gently to their charges.

“Hello Thunderlane.” said Fluttershy as we approached. “North. Are you here to help us wake up the little sleepyheads?”

“Yes.” I said. “So… what do we do?”

“You just find a den.” She demonstrated. “And you let them know it’s time to get up.” She put her head a few inches into the largish hole she’d chosen. “Good morning little ones. It’s time to get up, spring is here.” She stepped back from the hole. A few seconds later, a couple bunnies hopped out, rubbing their little paws in their eyes.

“That’s all there is to it.” said Fluttershy, starting towards the next hole. “Let me know if you need something.”

“Will do.” said Thunderlane. “So… which hole, which hole?”

I approached another one of the dens. I leaned down in front of it, but my voice caught. I had absolutely no idea what to say.

“Er… Morning.” I said hesitantly. “Time to get up. Spring’s here.”

“Better get out of the way.” suggested Thunderlane. “So they can get out.”

I moved back, and a moment later, a few ferrets emerged from the den. I smiled happily, looking over at Thunderlane. He walked over to a den, leaning down.

“Hey, guys.” he said nervously. “Time to wake up.”

He yelped, jumping back. A snake was latched painfully onto his nose, and he was trying to push it off. I ran over, and helped him pry its jaws off of him. Thunderlane clutched at his nose, while I set the snake down.

“You slither along.” I said, shooing it with a hoof. It hissed, then began moving away. “You alright?” I asked, putting a hoof on Thunderlane’s shoulder.

“I’m fine.” he said, removing his hooves. There wasn’t any blood. “It didn’t bite hard, it just caught me by surprise.” He looked up, staring at me, and I stared back. I was fascinated by the golden irises. I jerked back, realizing how close we’d been.

“H-How about we don’t stick our noses in holes?”

“S-Sure.” he said, turning his head away from me. “Good idea.”

We continued to wake the “little sleepy heads”, proceeding slowly along the lines of dens. After a few minutes, I noticed that the others had started singing. I looked over at Thunderlane, who’d just woken a few foxes.

“What’re they singing?” I asked, glancing around at the singing mares and stallions.

“Oh,” he said, “it’s the Winter Wrap-Up song.” He grinned sheepishly. “Um… do… you want to sing along?”

“I don’t know the words.”

“You’ll figure it out.” He coughed a few times, then he started singing.

Three months of winter coolness, and awesome holidays
We've kept our hoofsies warm at home, time off from work to play~
But the food we've stored is running out, and we can't grow in this cold

A mare joined in.

And even though I love my boots, this fashion's getting old

I decided to give it a try.

The time has come to welcome Spring
And all things warm and green,
But it's also time to say goodbye:
It's Winter we must clean.
How can I help? I'm new, you see.
What does everypony do?
How do I fit in without wings?
I haven't got a clue!

Thunderlane joined in for the chorus.

Winter Wrap-Up, Winter Wrap-Up!
Let's finish our holiday cheer
Winter Wrap-Up, Winter Wrap-Up!
'Cause tomorrow Spring is here!
'Cause tomorrow Spring is here!

Above us, a pegasus passed by.

Bringing home the southern birds,
A pegasus' job begins
In clearing all the gloomy skies
To let the sunshine in!
We move the clouds and we melt the white snow;
When the sun comes up, it's warmth and beauty will glow!

Chorus:

Winter Wrap-Up, Winter Wrap-Up!
Let's finish our holiday cheer
Winter Wrap-Up, Winter Wrap-Up!
'Cause tomorrow Spring is here
Winter Wrap-Up Winter Wrap-Up!
'Cause tomorrow Spring is here
'Cause tomorrow Spring is here!

I started singing again.

Little critters hibernate
Under the snow and ice.
We wake up all the sleepyheads
So quietly and nice!
We help them gather up their food,
Fix their homes below;
We welcome back the Southern birds
So their families can grow!

Chorus:

Winter Wrap-Up, Winter Wrap-Up!
Let's finish our holiday cheer
Winter Wrap-Up, Winter Wrap-Up!
'Cause tomorrow Spring is here
Winter Wrap-Up, Winter Wrap-Up!
'Cause tomorrow Spring is here
'Cause tomorrow Spring is here!

Me:

No easy task to clear the ground,
Plant our tiny seeds.
With proper care and sunshine,
Everyone it feeds.
Apples, carrots, celery stalks
Colorful flowers, too!
We must work so very hard,
It's just so much to do!

Chorus:

Winter Wrap-Up, Winter Wrap-Up!
Let's finish our holiday cheer
Winter Wrap-Up, Winter Wrap-Up!
'Cause tomorrow Spring is here
Winter Wrap-Up, Winter Wrap-Up!
'Cause tomorrow Spring is here!
'Cause tomorrow Spring is here!

Me:

Now that I know what they all do,
I have to find my place
And help with all of my heart,
Tough task ahead I face.
How will I do without flight,
Help the earth pony way?
I wanna belong, so I must
Do my best today
Do my best today

Chorus:

Winter Wrap-Up, Winter Wrap-Up!
Let's finish our holiday cheer
Winter Wrap-Up, Winter Wrap-Up!
'Cause tomorrow Spring is here
Winter Wrap-Up, Winter Wrap-Up!

Thunderlane and I sang the last lines together.

'Cause tomorrow Spring is here
'Cause tomorrow Spring is here
'Cause tomorrow Spring is here!

When we finished, Thunderlane was staring at me.

“You can definitely sing.” he said. He was blushing slightly.

“You too.” I said.

“Excuse me?” said a voice behind me. I turned, finding a cream mare with a pink and magenta mane. “Was that you singing?”

“Um… yeah?”

“You have a nice voice.” she said. “When we’re done… would you like to… go out with me?” She smiled hopefully.

“Um…” I glanced around, trying to find an escape. It came in an unexpected (and unwanted) form.

“Of course he doesn’t.” said an all too familiar voice. I turned around, and found the stallion who’d attacked me the day I’d met Caramel. “He’s a coltcuddler.”

“Are you?” she asked, looking back at me. I didn’t answer. I’d never really thought about it before, I hadn’t cared about it that much.

“Where’s your coltfriend?” said the stallion. “Did you break up?” He pouted for a second, then his smirk returned.

“Yeah.” I said defiantly. “But I’m okay with that.” I returned my attention to the mare. “What’s you’re name?”

“Roseluck.” she said.

“Well, Roseluck,” I said, using my most suave voice, “I’d love to spend an evening with such a lovely mare.”

“Great!” she said, grinning. “I’ll meet you by the fountain near Sugarcube Corner.”

“See you then.” I said, grinning back. She walked off, and I turned on the stallion. When I spoke, my voice was dangerously quiet “Go. Now.”

He walked off, still smirking. I growled, moving off to the next burrow.

___________________________________________


Thunderlane was helping North get ready for his date. He straightened North’s bow tie, eliciting a smile from the white stallion.

“Thanks.” he said, touching the bow tie lightly. “Are you sure you don’t mind-?”

“You earned it.” said Thunderlane. They were both referring to the bits Thunderlane had given North. Thunderlane escorted him to the front door, opening it for him.

“You smell nice.” Commented North randomly.

“Er… thanks.” said Thunderlane. “Um… you too.”

“See you later.” said North, stepping outside. “Bye.”

“Bye.”

North started off to meet his date, and Thunderlane closed the door. He sat down, staring at the wood like he hoped to find the secrets of life embedded in the dark whorls. He was experiencing a strange feeling, like his heart was being crushed.

___________________________________________


I returned to Thunderlane’s house, having concluded my date with Roseluck. She was a nice mare, and we’d enjoyed a dinner at one of the better restaurants. It had gone well, but in the end, we’d decided on ‘just friends’. Thunderlane took a strangely short amount of time to answer the door, only a few seconds after I’d knocked.

“How’d it go?” he asked, as I stepped inside.

“It was alright.” I said, loosening my bowtie slightly. “But we decided to just be friends.”

“Really?” He seemed strangely happy to hear this answer. He regained control over his expression quickly, returning it to neutrality. There came a small crash from upstairs. “Rumble’s home.” He explained.

“I have an idea.” I said, looking back at the door. “Why don’t we take him to the library? He likes to read, yes?”

“Yeah. That sounds good.” He turned to face the stairs. “Rumble!”

“Yeah?” said Rumble, who appeared at the top of the stairs.

“Want to go to the library, buddy?”

“Yes!” shouted Rumble, running down the stairs. “Let’s go!”

___________________________________________


We were walking back to the house, having just finished our visit the library. We’d browsed through the books, and Rumble had found several to check out, which were larger than I’d expected of him. Shining Armor and Cadence had still been there, visiting with Twilight and her friends. Shining Armor had taken me aside, and apologized for being so forceful and abrupt a few days earlier. I blushed bright red during the entire conversation, but I accepted the apology. He asked me if I wanted to hang out some time, and I agreed, on the condition that he didn't do anything like he had without my permission. Ahead of us, Rumble was splashing in the muddy puddles left from the day’s snowmelt. Above, the clouds were dark. According to Thunderlane, it would soon rain.

“Somepony’s going to need a bath.” I commented.

“Yes, he is.” said Thunderlane. “That’s going to be so much fun.” He added sarcastically.

I laughed. “Think you’ll need reinforcements?”

“Probably. You offering?”

“Maybe.”

When we’d reached the house, I helped Thunderlane get Rumble into his bath. He led us on another wild goose chase, but we managed to not smash our heads together under any beds.

“Thunderlane?” I said.

“Yes?” he said, spitting out some of the bubbles Rumble had sent up his nose.

“I’m going to go for a walk, okay?”

“Sure.” he said, forcing Rumble to sit still while he scrubbed his mane. “Try to be back soon, though.”

“Okay.”

I left the house, and started down the road. Above, the dark clouds loomed closer than before. I made my way to the now grassy park where we’d been playing hoofball. I took a deep breath, trying to relax. Although I hadn’t mentioned it, Sombra’s dark presence had been haunting me nearly all day. Now it was growing stronger, and every step I took was more difficult than the last. Finally, I came to a stop, unable to continue forward. I sat down, and above me, the clouds finally let their cold rain come pouring down. I stayed there for what seemed an eternity, waging a fierce war in my mind. The horrible shadows were pressing in around me, driving my thoughts to dark and lonely places.

“North!”

I heard the faint call through the dark haze. I looked up, and saw Thunderlane standing in front of me. He was soaked, and I was faintly aware that I must be as well.

“What?” I whispered, struggling to pierce the shadow.

“Why didn’t you come back?”

“I don’t know.” I said, looking back down at my hooves.

Thunderlane stepped closer. “North, what’s wrong?”

“I… I feel so alone…”

“Why?”

“I don’t know… I just… I just want to be…” It took me a minute to settle on the right word. “Loved…”

“Well…” I looked up again, to see him blushing.

“What?”

“Um… I-I… w-well…”

He growled, looking annoyed at his indecision. He used his hooves to lift my head so I was facing him. He wrapped one arm around my back, the other behind my neck. Then he pulled me forward and pressed his lips against mine. He was kissing me in a way I’d never experienced. He was leaning me back, his head tilted to the side. The rain fell around us, washing down through our manes, coats, and feathers. His eyes were closed, and after a moment, I did the same. I felt his tongue enter my mouth, and I probed back, our tongues wrestling against one another. He explored my mouth, and I did the same with him. The taste, the feeling, all of it overwhelmed me.

After what felt like an eternity, we drew apart. A trace of saliva hung between us, some of it also running down my jaw. I ignored it, just staring at him with a combination of disbelief and fascination. He was struggling to look at me, his cheeks still red. He forced himself to look up, his golden eyes focused directly on me, his gaze steady.

“Well…” he whispered, barely even audible. “Well… I… I love you.”