• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 1,730 Views, 221 Comments

Time Lord: The Story of North Star - Thrawn1800



My name is North Star. I'm a Time Lord. I don't know how , but I'm know I'm not where I should be.

  • ...
23
 221
 1,730

Prologue

Prologue



Rainbow Dash was walking alongside the Everfree Forest, listening to the quiet nighttime sounds. She’d just been to visit her friend, Fluttershy. She was walking because her wings were too sore to fly far, so she was waiting until she was closer to home. The stars shone above and there was a faint breeze gently ruffling the treetops. It was peaceful, and she was feeling good. In the distance, the faint lights of Ponyville were visible.

From inside the forest, she heard a faint whooshing sound, and saw a white light flashing through the trees. She froze, listening. She snuck quietly in the direction of the disturbance. She hid behind a bush, and peeked out into the clearing beyond. The light and sound had stopped, but there was faint golden glow. In the clearing, a brown unicorn stallion was standing, unmoving. He wore a white collar and green bowtie around his neck. He was breathing heavily, and there were tears glistening in his eyes.

He breathed in sharply, and the faint golden aura blazed. Rainbow Dash gasped as intense golden flames surrounded the stallion. She watched as the fire continued to grow brighter, the roaring sounds cutting through the previously quiet night. When the light was almost blinding, she heard a raw-throated yell of agony.

The light died away, and in the absence of the golden illumination it had provided the night was even darker. She hesitated, then slowly moved out into the open. The stallion had collapsed to the ground. She checked to make sure he was breathing, putting an ear in front of his muzzle. She heard and felt a faint whisper of air. He didn’t seemed burned, but there must be something wrong. Nopony could just stand in the middle of a fire like that without sustaining some sort of injury.

She searched the surrounding area for anyone else, and found no one else nearby. On the ground, she found a silver cylinder, which she prodded with a hoof. Without thinking, she picked it up and tucked it into the stallion’s collar. Then she used her wings to lift him onto her back. Stumbling slightly under the weight, she started towards town. She needed to get him to the hospital. She didn’t know if she could make it all the way. She may have been extremely athletic, but she wasn’t used to carrying this much weight. And certainly not for such a long distance.

___________________________________________

By the time she’d reached Ponyville, she was exhausted. As she’d predicted, she‘d been having a hard time with the weight, and was struggling to stay upright. She continued to stagger towards the hospital, which just happened to be all the way on the other side of town. She heard a strange sound approaching, and looked up to see a pink blur zooming towards her. The blur came to a stop and resolved into a pink mare, who was smiling broadly. She wasn’t even panting.

“Pinkie Pie?” said Rainbow Dash. “What’re you doing out this late?”

“My Pinkie Sense told me there was somepony new in town!” said the pink mare excitedly. “I wanted to meet them, and set up their Welcome to Ponyville party!”

“Ooookay? Well, he’s not exactly in the best condition for a party right now. Can you help me get him to the hospital?”

Pinkie paused, then ran over to Rainbow Dash. But instead of doing anything helpful, she pressed an ear to the stallion’s chest. She pulled back after a second.

“Mm… no.” she said.

“What? Why not?” said Rainbow Dash.

“Because they’ll lock’im up!”

“Why?”

“Because he’s got two hearts!”

“He what?!”

“If we take him there, they’ll lock him up! And if they lock him up, then I can’t have a Welcome to Ponyville Party! And if I don’t have the party-!””

“Okay, fine! Where should we take him then?”

“Let’s take him to the library!” Pinkie Pie suggested enthusiastically.

“Why-?”

“Let’s go!” Pinkie Pie started bouncing away.

“Fine!” Rainbow Dash started following Pinkie Pie.

___________________________________________

Once they’d reached the library, Rainbow Dash was ready to collapse. Pinkie Pie hadn’t been much help, bouncing alongside her, happily planning the welcome party. She rang the doorbell, while Pinkie Pie continued to hop up and down beside her. After a moment, the lights inside blinked on, and the door opened. A purple pony was framed in the doorway.

“Pinkie? Rainbow?” she said, surprised. “Why’re-?”

She finally seemed to take in the scope of the situation. Her eyes flicked from Pinkie Pie to Rainbow Dash to the stallion on her back.

“What-?” she started.

“Can we come in?” asked Rainbow Dash, her voice strained. “Please?”

“Oh! Of course!”

She stood aside and let them pass by. Rainbow Dash set the stallion down in front of the fireplace, in which a warm fire was softly crackling. She then sat down next to him, exhausted. Pinkie Pie bounced over to a couch and cannonballed onto it. Twilight closed the door, and walked over to them.

“What-?” Twilight started, but Rainbow Dash raised a hoof, panting slightly.

After she’d caught her breath, she explained what she’d seen. While Pinkie Pie seemed unsurprised, Twilight’s eyes continued to widen. By the time she’d finished explaining, Twilight’s mouth was open slightly.

“But, what was that fire stuff?” Twilight asked. “Why isn’t he burned?”

“I don’t know what happened.” She said, just as confused.

“One more thing,” Twilight added. “He doesn’t look like you described.”

“What?”

Rainbow turned to the stallion. Twilight was right, he didn’t look like the stallion she’d seen. While he wore the same collar and bowtie, this one had a white coat and a dark blue mane. And most importantly, he did not have a horn. He was just a regular earth pony.

“Who’s this?!” she said. “This isn’t the stallion I saw!”

“I know.” Twilight replied. “Isn’t that what I said?”

“But how-?!” she started, but Twilight interrupted.

“That can wait. I’ll take him upstairs.”

“Why?”

“We can’t very well leave him on the floor, can we?”

“I guess not.”

“Be right back. I’ll put him in my bed.”

Twilight gently picked the stallion up, wrapping him in her violet-colored magic. She took him upstairs, and into her room. She pulled back the covers of her bed, then set him down. As she removed the bowtie and collar, something silver fell to the ground, clanking loudly. She picked it up. It was a small silver cylinder, one end of which had a blue lens of some sort. Shrugging, she put the things on the bedside table.

After pulling the covers back over him, she did a quick physical examination. She checked his breathing, which was normal. Then, she listened to his heart. Weird. It sounded like- no. She started to leave, then she heard something strange behind her. She turned, and saw the stallion shifting in the bed. He was still a moment, then he breathed out slowly. A cloud of golden dust drifted out, sparkling. It slowly faded away.

She dashed back over, and checked him again. This time, she threw in a magical scan. Nothing seemed to have changed. She ran back downstairs, and started pulling books towards her. Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and a baby dragon all dived for the ground, avoiding the hurricane of books.

“What’re you doing Twilight?” said the baby dragon.

“Well, you see Spike-” She told them what she’d seen upstairs, simultaneously skimming through the books flying around her. When she’d finished, they were all staring at her.

“Are you sure that’s what happened?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“Yeah, Twilight,” said Spike, “That seems a little weird.”

“I’m sure!” she said, still blazing through the books at high speeds. Then she stopped abruptly, whirling around to face Pinkie Pie.

“Pinkie!” she said. “Why’d you bring him here?”

“Because they’d of locked’im up!” she said.

“Why?”

“Because he’s got two hearts!”

“He what?!”

“He’s got two hearts!”

“Are you sure?”

She paused, then nodded vigorously. “Yeah!”

“And, why would they lock him up?”

“For the same reason you’d keep a bird with two hearts.”

“Why-? Oh.” She understood now. She’d want to keep it around, so she could try to figure out why it was the way it was.

“So… what exactly is going on?” asked Spike. Rainbow Dash began to tell him what she’d seen. After a moment, Twilight resumed searching the books.

Soon, Rainbow Dash had finished retelling the story for Spike, and Twilight had exhausted the library’s supply of books. She hadn’t found anything. Then, from upstairs, there came a groan. Everyone except for Pinkie Pie, who was bouncing around the library, froze in place. Twilight and Rainbow Dash exchanged a glance, then they hurried upstairs. In Twilight’s room, the stallion was waking up.