• Published 21st Nov 2013
  • 1,859 Views, 33 Comments

Oneshot Grab-Bag - Banchoking



A series of (usually) unconnected oneshots that I will use to test out ideas for stories I have and see what you all think of them.

  • ...
14
 33
 1,859

Return of the Hind Walkers (Spiritual)

Lyra Heartstrings was sitting in her living room on Sunday morning, reading the newspaper when she looked up at the clock. "Whoops! Almost late, see ya Bonnie!" she called to her roommate with a smile, not waiting for a reply since Bonbon always slept in on Sunday. She trotted down the street, waving every now and then at the ponies passing by, until she came to the destination. It was a little building with a cracked white paintjob and a steeple. At the top was a sight that always brightened her week whenever she saw it, a large brass hand that looked old and tarnished. Lyra had been thinking a lot about taking it down for a polish soon.

Stepping in she walked past the small number of ponies gathered in the waiting room, all wearing ties and dresses, occasionally saying hi to one before continuing through the crowded room. She entered a backroom that she used as an office and put on a tie that was hanging on the coatrack before she gathered her things, a book that was well worn from frequent use and a small gold necklace with a hand shaped charm that had been passed down her family for generations. She gave it a kiss before heading for the door. She stopped just when she grabbed the door with her magic. "Almost forgot," she facehoofed before standing on her hind legs and walking out the door.

She walked into a room full of benches, most already full of ponies. She made her way over to the podium on the raised portion of the floor and looked out at the group of ponies, letting herself grin a little, as she did every Sunday, at the sight of so many ponies sitting upright. Her face fell a little when she saw a colt laying on his bench trying to hide behind a pair of stallions while he played his Joyboy. Luckily his parents followed her stare and sat him upright before the mother put the game in her saddlebag. Lyra snickered when the colt gave a huff.

Seeing that everypony was seated and the doors were shut, she cleared her throat, causing the friendly chatter to stop. "Greetings everypony, I'm glad you all could make it today. And I'm especially glad to see some new faces," Lyra pointed out a several foals who's parents thought that they were old enough now, a donkey couple she had seen in town with Pinkie, and a Gryphon who had moved to Ponyville earlier in the week looking for work.

"Now seeing as we have so many new visitors, I've decided to read a passage from Book I chapter 1 today, for those who'd like to understand a little better what we believe here," she smiled when everypony...er everybody nodded. She flipped open the old book she had lain on the podium and coughed to clear out her throat a bit before reading.

"In the time...before time, Equiis was barren as far as the eye could see. Then those who came before, the Hind Walkers, came from across the sea of night. They could feel the magic of this world and saw its potential, and so they filled it with life. Where they walked, plants sprang forth and water flowed freely from the crags of the earth. They first made the animals, shaped in the likenesses of those of their own home. Then they made the sapient races. Ponies to bring abundance to the plains, Gryphons and Dragons to patrol and safeguard the mountains, Diamond Dogs to bring forth the richness of the deep, and Changelings to watch over us and fill the world with love.

It was then that they left Equiis to bring life to other worlds. But remember friends, though they are gone, they leave a promise. A promise that, when we are ready, they will return to walk by us. Not to lead us as parents, but walk among us as equals. Prepare for that day my little ponies, for the return of the Hind Walkers is approaching."

Author's Note:

A little bit of inspiration that hit me Sunday night.