• Published 8th Nov 2013
  • 2,080 Views, 152 Comments

Bailing Out - PhillyCh3zSt3ak



No one really knows how fate works. Some times it works like you'd expect, but other times not so much, as Spitfire and Andrew are about to learn. Join our two heroes as they find that fate doesn't always work the way we think it should.

  • ...
18
 152
 2,080

PreviousChapters Next
Prologue and Chapter 1*

Prologue: Into the storm


"Hey."
"Yeah?"
"Do you ever wonder why we're here?"
"It's one of life's great mysteries. Why are we here? I mean, are we the product of a cosmic coincidence? Or is there a God watching everything. You know? With a plan for us and stuff. I don't know man, but it keeps me up at night."
-Red vs. Blue season 1, episode 1.


Four planes flew through the clear skies of Equestria. Each single occupant vehicle held a member of the Wonderbolts, Equestria’s longest running elite flying unit. While each occupant could fly themselves without the planes, it never hurts to have several tons of armor and weapons riding shotgun when you need them.

“So tell me why we’re doing this again?” Spitfire’s radio crackled to life with Soarin’s voice coming through.

“What? Flying the most powerful and advanced planes in all the world?” Fleetfoot asked.

“No. Flying into the Bermareda Triangle. You know, the place where weird shit always happens at random times to random innocent people like us; to both planes, boats, and flying people like us alike.”

“Can it you two,” Spitfire spat into her microphone, her voice hinting at her dislike of the current conversation. “To answer your question Soarin’ we’re flying down just to test the range on these aircraft and flying back home. Simple. Even an idiot like you could do it.”

“Apply water to the burned area,” came Rapidfire’s voice over the radio with a chuckle.

The chatter died down and the miles of ocean flew past and the ocean remained unchanged as well. They entered the Burmareda Triangle and flew for miles uninterrupted, Soarin’ still voicing his disapproval over the radio and Fleetfoot chastising him for being a baby. The clear skies turned from clear blue to a cloudy gray.

“Cloudsdale tower to Wonderbolt flight, flight come in,” the male voice came over the radio.

“Spitfire to tower, how copy?” she said.

“Captain we have a weather system on radar that looks like a tropical storm heading your way. We advise an immediate U-turn back to base ASAP. Over and out.”

“Copy that, over and out,” she then turned her attention to her squad. “Alright guys, we’re turning around. We’ve got bad weather ahead and I’d rather be out of here before it gets to us.”

“Thank Celestia for that,” Soarin’ made his opinion clear.

The four planes banked left and made an immediate U-turn back towards the Cloudsdale landing strip. As they flew the weather started getting more and more choppy, making the planes shudder as they hit the pockets of air.

Fleetfoot’s voice came over the radio, “Captain, does that look like a funnel cloud to you?”

Spitfire looked up towards where Fleetfoot was pointing from her canopy. Before she could evade it the partially formed funnel cloud bore straight down on her plane. The last thing she heard was combined shouts of “Captain” and “Spitfire” before they faded to static.

As Soarin’, Rapidfire, and Fleetfoot looked back at the now retreating funnel cloud with no sign of Spitfire’s plane as they sped away only one word came over the radio to sum up what just happened.

A very calm, “Shit.”


Chapter 1: Deserts


Inside the cockpit of her plane Spitfire wasn’t having an easier time. Her body was being thrown around and her plane rattling as if the gods themselves were trying to rip it atom from atom. She noticed as the plane rattled the radio came alive with one sided transmissions.

“My loyal subjects, today is a wondrous day in our proud history. Today my sister Luna rejoins us after her very long time away from us-” Spitfire recognized this, it was the speech given at Luna’s reinstatement as co-ruler two years ago, a day remembered by all of Equestria’s citizens.

“Oh the humanity!”

“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.”

“Yesterday, December 7, 1941, a date that will live in infamy.”

As Spitfire listened to these odd radio transmissions the vehicle slammed to the right and her head hit the canopy knocking her out cold.

***

“Hey mom, hey dad. It’s your son Andrew here in good ol’ Afghanistan doing his country proud. But then again who else would it be? Let’s see what’s new? Ah so we just got our replacements in this morning and our CO here is breaking them into the routines we have in place. So that means 2 days from now, 3 for you guys, I’ll be on the first plane back home. One more day of patrols, I mean, what could possibly go wrong?” I paused for a moment, “Yeah I’m pretty sure I just jinxed myself there. But you get my point, one more patrol and I’m on my way home.

“Other than that nothing’s new here. Tell the rest of the family I said hi and to remember to pick me up from the airport at 5pm.” A tap came from my shoulder, telling me that it was the next guy’s turn to use the webcam. “Hey I have to take off now but I love you guys. Remember, Sky Harbor at 5pm. See you in a few days.” I said signing off before sending the video email. I signed off and let the next guy take the computer.

I walked out of the trailer that held all of the base’s telecommunications into the bright desert afternoon and shielded my eyes as they readjusted to the brightness. As I walk down this familiar path to the barracks I hear various fighter jets fly overhead and several Blackhawk helicopters taking off and landing. Many HMVVs cruise from one end of the base to the other, some patrolling the perimeter while others taking various personnel where they need to go.

My name is Andrew Briggs, I am 23 years old, 6’1”, 200 lbs, and of German and Scandinavian decent. Well if you want to get technical I’m a mutt of different ethnicities, but those are the large chunks of it. It was a fun time trying to track my family tree back when I was in high school for a project for health class. Not. And I’m currently a PFC in the Army.

My life was generally uneventful. Grade school had its ups and downs all things considering how brutish children can act like at times, now of all times worse than it was when I was there as I last saw when I made an impromptu visit home to my parents on leave six months ago. When both your parents are school teachers you tend to see the dark side of how children act these days. Sometimes I swear that kids keep getting more stupid as the years go on as parents relatively don’t give a shit about their kids.

I walk along for a moment before stopping feeling the outsides of my pants pockets as though something were missing. I had my ID and some cash in a wallet clip, you know the ones that started selling on TV years ago? My base required sidearm. Ever since the Fort Hood incident Congress and the Senate compromised with the Joint Chiefs and allowed all armed forces overseas to open carry any sidearm they chose while on bases at any time, while back home it only applied to those who were on shift. I had my footlocker key in my breast pocket. I had my baseball cap. What was I missing? I shrugged it off and kept walking, I’d think of it eventually.

Where was I? Oh yes. High school was pretty uneventful as well. I was that quiet kid that no one tended to talk to, it doesn’t help when you’re a transfer student either. I was picked on for a time, but it helps to know that the principal is an old friend of my dad. It also helps when you leave an anonymous tip about one of the jocks smoking crack behind the school to the local PD. By junior year I managed to make a few friends, not many but as the old saying goes “quality not quantity.” Those were some good times, we got in trouble here and there, but nothing ever illegal, though sometimes we did some things that bordered on illicit.

Senior year came around and passed uneventfully as well. I did land a girlfriend, but it didn’t last since we didn’t see eye to eye on anything and she wasn’t willing to budge on anything either so I broke it off. I graduated and applied to colleges and got accepted into ASU majoring in computer programming and minoring in psychology. Shortly after enrolling my parents’ health insurance skyrocketed 200% for no reason since they were healthy as horses and below 50 and they could no longer help me in my schooling other than emotional support.

After a possibly illegal drink or two at the time with a friend he had convinced me to join the Army reserves. That way I would have been able to keep going to college and earn my degree and also serve if called upon, and then also have a career after I got out. During the summer between my sophomore and junior years I went to boot camp and completed it a few weeks before the new semester with just enough time to get registered for classes. Every few months I had to go in and train get checked out by a doctor making sure I was still fit to serve every few months. Eventually I was called to serve half-way through junior year forcing to put pretty much everything on hold.

As I walked into the barracks I took a peek at the calendar, June 17, 2020. I looked at a date a week above today's and knew the reason why it was circled, it was his birthday. His only wish: to go home in one piece, not a bad request at all. Unfortunately no real serious drinking took place since it’s not a good idea to be tanked when there might be an emergency at any time; that would have to wait until he got back home. Speaking of home I bought one of those bank foreclosed homes for a fraction of the price when he was last home. I got it near Luke AFB since I don’t like the gridlock of Phoenix and the huge amount of land and the size of the house itself. It was the house that I always dreamed of while growing up, well other than the disrepair that it was in, but I was counting on my dad and his connections to help me with that one.

“Hey Killjoy, gear up,” Sarge yelled over to me. Yeah my nickname is ‘Killjoy,’ it happened the first day when I said something along the lines of “that’ll kill me” and someone in another squad called me a killjoy and it just stuck ever since. Plus it’s not a half-bad call sign. Still beats out Kenny “Squirt” Mendez any day, he is a good head shorter than anybody else in the squad.

I got my gear from my locker. Your standard body armor, a communications uplink with our squad commander via a small tablet computer mounted on the underside of the forearm, a set of NV/IR goggles, a M4 carbine with EOTECH sights and under barrel 40mm grenade launcher, my combat knife, and a few more clips for my 9mm sidearm.

All geared up and ready to go the rest of my squad and I met at our assigned HMVV to start our final patrol of our tours of duty. We got in and our assigned driver in our group, whom just so happen to be me for today, drove us to our assigned area.

***

Spitfire awoke with a jolt. When she looked around she was still in the whirling wind tunnel surrounding her and her plane still being buffeted by unseen winds.

“Please!” she yelled to no one in particular, “If there’s anyone out there, any god or goddess, please let me out of this!”

The buffeting went on for a few more moments. Spitfire bowed her head in defeat. She would never see her friends and family again, to be forever trapped in this cloudy tartarus. Then it stopped and all she could hear was the droning of the engine of her plane. She looked up, the sky was clear and cloudless, but as she looked below she saw desert plateaus eventually hundreds of miles away turning into a lush forest and sub sequentially into a desert.

“Where the hell am I?” Spitfire asked out loud.

***

NORAD – 6/17/2020 2030 hours

“Sir, we have an unidentified aircraft that passed the Grand Canyon headed south east. FAA says it has no transponder and therefore no flight plan,” the technician reported.

“Contact Nellis and have them intercept with F-22’s.”

“Yes, sir.”

Author's Note:

Prologue: The planes they’re flying are WWII era planes similar to P-51 mustangs, her flightsuit attire also reflects that as well.
Chapter 1: Those who live in the specific state in which those three regions exist probably have an idea where Spitfire is if the Grand Canyon didn't give that away.

This is my first fic so go ahead and leave feedback, constructive if possible.


Patch Notes

(5/13/14)
The video message: The reason why this remains the same is that this is what Andrew said. As pointed out it is against OPSEC to say that. It is to be assumed that it was already censored for any sensitive information before reaching the final destination. Hell if they can do it with packages sent through APO's I can't see why they can't do it to digital, especially twelve years from now. People have let things slip before by accident, so in a long-shot chance it makes sense.
HMMVs: Nixed "jeep" from it.
The sidearm on base: Now this one's a little more reasonable because there's a Texas congressman who is trying to repeal the bill that disallows anyone other than MP's on base to carry a firearm, in his words (paraphrasing): to prevent another Fort Hood-style incident. So hypothetically in this alternate future the law passed.
Night vision goggles: My reasoning behind this is that it's better to have them and not need them then need them and not have them. I also never mention that he had them on, so again hypothetically he could have left them inside a HMMV until they were needed if at all.

PreviousChapters Next