• Published 8th Nov 2013
  • 2,080 Views, 152 Comments

Bailing Out - PhillyCh3zSt3ak



No one really knows how fate works. Some times it works like you'd expect, but other times not so much, as Spitfire and Andrew are about to learn. Join our two heroes as they find that fate doesn't always work the way we think it should.

  • ...
18
 152
 2,080

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 24: Best Laid Plans

A/N: As promised a shorter interlude chapter due to a lack of time this week. You can call it filler if you like.


Chapter 24: Best Laid Plans


When the Lamb opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature say, “Come!” Then another horse came out, a fiery red one. Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make people kill each other. To him was given a large sword.
Revelation 6:3+4


Canterlot Castle

Prince Blueblood, one of the last known descendants in the line of the Platinum family, walked the halls of the castle. His mind filled with last night’s latest conquest, she was some supermodel mage from Manehatten who just so happened to catch his fancy. He had left her at the hotel hours ago after he enjoyed himself.

As he passed a corridor he heard two maids talking. He decided to stay and listen. “Hey did you hear about new guests in the diplomat suites?” one asked. She was hovering near a chandelier dusting the crystal.

“Sort of,” the other replied. “I heard they approached the princess the other day and asked for asylum.”

“Then they were all in black cloaks too. It was pretty creepy,” she replied fluffing a pillow in an adjacent room. “I heard that she and the princess had some sort of beef with each other.”

“Who has any kind of bad blood with the princess other than Chrysalis, former king Sombra, and that griffin emperor from a few hundred years ago?”

“I have no clue, but I caught a glimpse of her face under her hood, she looked quite beautiful. However it looked like she had been burned, she had black splotches everywhere on her face.”

“Well that’s too bad. She’d have many suitors lined up.”

Blueblood turned back around the corner ignoring the rest of the maids’ conversation. He recognized that description enough to look into it. Last time he checked the only beings that had black splotches like that were Changelings that couldn’t decide on a form to take.

***

“So tell me,” Celestia said. “Tell me why you’re stuck half-way between a Changeling and what seems to be the physical appearance of my niece Cadence?” she finished asking as she poured tea from the porcelain kettle for both her and Chrysalis.

“In case you forgot your niece and her husband blasted me with enough love powered magic to essentially scramble my shape shifting powers leaving me this mix of Changeling chitin and whoever’s form I took prior to exposure,” Chrysalis replied taking a drink of the tea. She didn’t need it, but she needed to play nice in order to keep her political asylum. “It’s not as though I don’t like it, but you work with what you’re given.”

“Interesting. Are you sure your guard doesn’t want anything?”

Chrysalis looked back at her one bodyguard waiting patiently near the door, waiting for his mistress. “He’ll be fine. What else do you wish to know?” she asked before taking a drink herself.

“Where is your former hive?”

“It’s-,” was all she was able to get off before a blast of sickly green magic poured in through the open window and hit Chrysalis in the chest. Her eyes rolled up into her head before she collapsed to the ground. Celestia knelt down next to her and checked her pulse. Chrysalis’s guard fired three rounds out of his pistol, one managed to hit a flying changeling drone in the arm. It flew away into the distance, far out of the range of his weaponry.

“Traitor,” he spat, holstering his pistol. He knelt down next to his queen and held his hands over her currently motionless body. Green lights started to glow under his cloaked arms and shortly after so did his hands.

“What are you doing?”

“What needs to be done,” he replied, his voice strained. Chrysalis’s body was enveloped in the same sickly green aura that his hands were. A few minutes passed and while a squad of guards surrounded them he was completely unaware of their presence. Soon Chrysalis wasn’t looking pale anymore, her breathing normal for someone who was unconscious. He ended his spell but started coughing up blood.

“You’re dying,” Celestia stated as she caught Chrysalis’s bodyguard from falling. “Hold on, we’ll get you help.”

“It’s too late. That was an assassination spell that makes the target experience excruciating pain before it kills them slowly. I merely transferred it to myself. I failed my queen already allowing her to be harmed. It’s only right that I die in service to my queen,” he said before slipping into unconsciousness himself.

“Quickly, get them both to the infirmary!” Celestia commanded. One guard hesitated for a moment, but since it was a direct request she did it anyway. They teleported away, leaving Celestia to her thoughts. ‘How did this happen?’ she asked herself.

***

A few minutes later…

The daughter of Chrysalis sat on the throne once occupied by her mother. She filed the ends of her claw-like fingers to a fine point, inspecting them for any defects. A wounded drone entered her throne room, a bullet wound in its chest. It kneeled at the bottom of the stairs in front of the throne.

“Is it done?” she asked, not once looking at the drone.

“Yes, my queen. The former hive queen Chrysalis is no longer among the living,” it said hiding its pain.

“Good. You are dismissed,” she said, waving it off.

“Your highness,” it said before standing up and leaving the room.

‘Now to move onto phase two,’ she thought. She held in her hand a very compromising photo, ‘It’s nice to have friends in all the right places,’ a smirk came to her face as she looked at it.

***

Meanwhile back at Area 51…

The spy knew what was going on and what would happen next with the project he was watching. He walked into the biochemistry wing to a specific workstation and chatted up the female technician working at it. While she was distracted he reached over and pocketed a specific vial of clear, odorless liquid.

Taking up enough of the technician’s time he bid her adieu and left. He then walked into the men’s bathroom stall and looked at the vial. Inside it lead to the next step in his assignment.

***

Kremlin, October 30, 2021

“[Sir, the Americans are up to something],” a young analyst said to his superior. In front of him was a computer screen with satellite imagery of a gathering of US soldiers in Alaska in the middle of nowhere.

“[Just keep watching, private],” replied the officer. They sat there in almost perfect silence. In the lower right corner of the screen a red blip showed up.

“[Sir, there’s an American C-130 cargo plane entering the observation area].”

“[Good work, Nickoli that's the one we're looking for],” he said before walking over to a red phone.

***

35,000 feet over the Alaska

It’s been several months since Emily and Jenny were injected with the retrovirus, it’s also been about three months since Emily gave birth to a healthy baby boy. A psychic baby boy. Yeah, raising him isn’t going to be easy for her, not at all. Jenny’s wings finally grew in and I can tell that Spits would like to take her flying, given the chance that is. Unfortunately that’s not going to happen.

I looked outside the window and saw the landscape down below the clouds pass by us, the hum of the turbo prop engines pulling us along. Spits was lightly sleeping on my shoulder, she’s wearing an Air Force jumpsuit unlike the rest of us in the cargo hold, we were in our cammies. The other night was… interesting to say the least. I guess she’s still tired from it.

“Sir, we’re going to land soon,” one of the co-pilots said walking over to me. “Please strap yourselves in for landing.”

He walked back into the cockpit leaving me, Spits, and the rest of my new team in the cargo hold. Apparently the brass noticed some abnormal Russian emplacements near the Bearing Straight and was sending along some support ‘just in case.’ My new squad being the solution to that plan. That and a few guns. And dragonskin body armor.

I nudged my lovely wife. “Hmm?” she asked sleepily, her eyes still closed.

“Wake up, we’re almost there,” I replied.

“Where?” She must still be asleep, especially since we were all briefed yesterday before we ever set a foot on this plane.

“To the anchor, where else would be flying to that has snow on the ground?” I replied with a smug grin.

She gave me a small giggle. “I really enjoyed what we did last night,” she said as she traced circles on my chest.

“As did I.”

“Get a room you two,” Jones shouted from the other side of the bay.

Then of all times an alarm started to ring out. “Everybody hold on! We’ve got a missile locked on us!” The *bing bong* of the seat belt airplane sound came and we scrambled to get into our harnesses. I was ripped from my seat as the plane banked. “Releasing flares!”

There was an explosion that shook the plane, which made me fly out of my seat and land towards the rear, hitting my head on the hatch caused my sight to get blurry for a few seconds. The missile must have followed one of the flares. “Hold on! There’s another incoming!” the co-pilot yelled from the cockpit. I stumbled forward as I tried to get back to my seat and strap myself in. My ears were ringing from the impact still.

Spits held her hand out for me to take, then came the second explosion. One moment I was walking forward, the next I was being pulled back at what felt like Mach speeds. Spits yelled something, but it was obscured because of the wind rushing past my ears. I flew uncontrollably out of the cargo bay and I saw that the plane was losing altitude quickly.

As I fell in freefall I struggled to get my body armor off to free my wings. My body rotated and I saw the ground rapidly approaching. I started swearing, however at terminal velocity you can’t hear anyone, not even yourself say or scream anything. I reached for my knife to try to cut the vest loose since for some reason it wouldn’t come off normally. One side I managed to slice off one of the straps and then I looked down and saw the ground rapidly approaching.

Seeing that I started to panic and I fumbled my knife and it escaped my reach. The ground started approaching even quicker and I started praying to every deity under the sun. Well this is one fucked up way to go. I didn’t feel what happened next, all I heard was a crunching sound and everything went black.


Author's Note:

No that’s not Fleur for those Fleur fans out there, just some random nameless.
We received some background on why Chrysalis's appearance is the way it is.
What is Chrysalis’s daughter’s endgame? Well that’s for me to know and you to find out. Also I’m looking for suggestions for a name for her as well. PM me suggestions if you have any. The winner will be noted in the author’s notes when her name gets debuted.
And no Andrew’s not dead, that would be one shitty way to end the story now wouldn’t it?


Anyway this is just a shorter chapter to hold you guys over until the next one comes out. Mainly because I wanted to get this out on my birthday, but that didn't really happen unfortunately. Well to those of legal age (18 overseas and 21 in the States) let's have a toast of your preferred beverage. Here's to another year.
Random side-thought: I just got a new phone and am needing an awesome photo for the lock screen. Submit any findings through PM, the best one gets to be on my phone.


I would like to believe that I caught all my errors, if I didn’t just get a hold of me and I’ll fix them ASAP.

PreviousChapters Next