• Published 8th Nov 2013
  • 2,080 Views, 152 Comments

Bailing Out - PhillyCh3zSt3ak



No one really knows how fate works. Some times it works like you'd expect, but other times not so much, as Spitfire and Andrew are about to learn. Join our two heroes as they find that fate doesn't always work the way we think it should.

  • ...
18
 152
 2,080

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 17: Nightmares on All Hallows Eve

A/N: I sort of missed Halloween by a few weeks when I created the story. So I figured that I would write a little Halloween filler chapter. There will be something important that’ll carry over into the other chapters at the end, but pretty much everything else is filler. I also colored this orange for Halloween. :)


Chapter 17: Nightmares on All Hallows Eve


October 30, Briggs Residence

Andrew was in the garage for the last few hours and it was pissing Spitfire off. There were telltale sounds of tools being used but every time that she had gone out to see what was making racket all she saw was Andrew reading a book and pretend like nothing was going on. Something was up and she was going to get to the bottom of it. Preferably soon though.

She went over to his computer and entered in his password for his account. She had figured it out a few months ago while he was a bit drunk one night. Logging in she opened his internet history. Porn site, ‘Eww,’ she thought while mentally cringing at one of the pages. ‘Well it makes sense in perverted way since we aren’t sleeping together,’ she rationalized trying to shrug it off. Further down, about four days ago according to the history’s log was a site called 'buycostumes.com.'

She clicked on the saved webpage and saw it directed her to a Halloween costume and decoration site. ‘Wait, Halloween was the one that was closely related the Nightmare Night, right?’ she asked herself. She looked at the subpages for the site that were visited. As she looked at each one, one theme started to click in her mind, ‘He’s setting up a haunted house?’

“I see you have discovered my plot,” came Andrew’s voice from behind her. “And do you know what I do to people who discover my plans?”

“No-” she replied nervously as she turned around.

“I force them to participate,” he said with a smile.

***

“So what have you been doing for the last few hours?” Spits asked me with a twinge of annoyance.

“Well Spits we are going to participate in the greatest of Halloween traditions: scaring the shit out of little kids,” I replied.

“Why would you want to do that?”

“Duh, because it’s fun.”

“I will never get that sense of humor of yours,” she sighed.

“Well it’s Halloween. Dia de los Muertos. All Hallows Eve. It’s a day to scare and be scared. It’s one of the few days you can get away with scaring kids, within certain parameters, and no one bats an eye.”

“Then what’s that?” she asked with a raised eyebrow while pointing towards a box.

“That, my dear, is my piece de resistance for this year,” I replied as I walked over and plugged it in to a wall outlet. A projector bulb came on and started projecting onto the wall.

“A projector, THAT’S your ‘grand piece’ for this year?” she asked with much skepticism.

“Not just a projector, a hologram projector,” I said while pressing a few buttons. A moment later the 3D image of a Skyrim draugr appeared. Another button press on my phone and it started moving, looking as intimidating as a preprogramed NPC could.

“That’s cool and all, but where did you get that?”

“I may or may not have ‘borrowed’ it from the R&D guys at the base for the night,” I replied trying to sound as innocent as possible. Though it didn’t help that I put air quotes around ‘borrowed.’

“So you stole it,” she deadpanned.

“No! I’m going to return it tomorrow, or when we go there next.”

***

Meanwhile…

“Hey Jenkins, where did you put the holoprojector?”

“No clue,” he said as he looked over at the desk it was supposed to be at. “Wait there’s a note here, ‘borrowed holoprojector, will return on Monday.’ Wait, what?”

***

“So do you have any other surprises?”

“Actually yes,” I replied. I turned off the projector and went back inside with Spits in tow. “Wait here,” I said before disappearing into our bedroom. I reached inside the closet and grabbed two costumes. “Here you go,” I said as I gave Spits a pure white dress with slits cut in the back.

“I don’t get it,” she deadpanned while looking at it.

“It’s your costume for tonight.”

“Why would I need a costume for tonight? And more importantly what is it supposed to be for?”

“Well how else are the kids supposed to get candy?”

“Well you can give it to them,” she shot back.

“Well I have something else in mind,” I replied with a smug grin. “Oh and it’s supposed to be an angel costume.”

She looked at the cut slits again. “O-o-o-oh,” she said in realization. “They’re for my wings, right.” She looked at mine, a black robe with a black hood and two wing slits also cut into the back of it. “So what are you going to be?”

“The Angel of Death, baby,” I said holding my arms out in pride.

“‘The Angel of Death?’” she asked with a raised eyebrow.

“You know, book of Exodus in the Bible. The tenth plague cast upon Egypt being the deaths of the firstborn son by the hands of God’s angel of death,” I explained.

“Wait, I thought angels in the Bible were supposed to be good guys?”

“Well ‘angel’ when translated from Hebrew means ‘messenger.’ So in other words he was the messenger of death.” I nodded.

“And this pertains to your costume how?” I leaned over to her ear and whispered my plan. Her eyes widened.

***

After sundown

The four tween children ran up to the door and I remained absolutely motionless, like the statue next to me. Under my hooded mask I smiled as I was about to spring my trap. I held onto a fake, but real looking scythe in my hand. They rang the doorbell.

“TRICK OR TREAT!” the yelled after Spits opened the door. She gave them a small handful each before retreating back inside. They started back down the sidewalk and just as they passed by me I let out an ominous pre-recorded laugh that was let loose through hidden speakers. And as soon as they passed me I jumped out and let out a psychopathic sounding yell with my jet black wings spread. The four screamed in fear as they ran down the driveway.

I had been doing it all night. Standing still then jumping out and scaring kids as they passed me. When standing still it helps when you’ve had practice in the Army standing at attention. Apparently the draugr was a big hit too as people tried to touch it only to be amazed as they phased right through it. Ah experimental technology, I love you. I let little kids have a pass, they don’t deserve to be scarred quite yet.

The next two hours passed by uneventfully before we ran out of candy. I walked inside and switched off the porch light and saw that Spits was probably just as tired as I was. I took off the cloak that my costume had and walked into the kitchen. Reaching into the fridge I pulled out two ice-cold beers. I sat myself down right next to Spits and gave her a beer.

“So,” I took a drink, “how was your first Halloween?”

“It was… interesting,” she replied as she took a drink of her own beer. “It just has so many similarities to Nightmare Night.”

“How so?” I asked as I let loose a semi-silent beer induced belch.

“Well back when I was a kid my mom, dad, and sister would go to our neighborhood’s Nightmare Night party. We’d get all dressed up and go door to door saying, ‘Nightmare Night, what a fright, give us something sweet to bite’ and the people inside the houses would give us candy. Similar to what we did tonight with those kids. By the way, what does ‘trick or treat’ mean anyway?”

“Well back in early America children going around would request treats ranging from candy apples to popcorn balls, and if they didn’t get any then they’d play a ‘trick’ on the offending party, usually in the form of a prank. Back in medieval times the Catholic church would give out these little cakes that the peasants would take to the graves of their loved ones and eat them there as a sign of respect and remembrance.”

“Sounds like Princess Luna would like those kids,” she replied as she remembered the few instances of Luna’s pranks getting a little out of control.

“Anyway, back to your story. You’d go around getting candy-.”

“And we’d play carnival games that the neighborhood watch would organize. Then there were the rides, yeah they were cheap, but they were fun none the less. What about you, did you have anything like that when you were a kid?”

I thought for a moment on my childhood while taking another drink, “Nah, nothing like that. Our neighborhood never was that close. We had one neighbor that we’d have enough trust with to let them hold onto our mail whenever we took a trip. The entire neighborhood though? You never knew who could be a homicidal maniac or pedophile, or clinically psychotic, or a rapist. You get the point.”

“That sounds horrible,” Spits commented as she too took a drink.

“Well that’s what you get when the entire society is paranoid beyond all reasoning.” I took another drink, “With good reason though. There were many small sleepy towns that had freaks living in them and took advantage of innocents and became less close when it was discovered. It’s just how the times changed. It’s unfortunate really. It would be nice for towns and cities to be like classic Americana where everyone knows everybody and isn’t afraid to go outside and be around their neighbors.”

“Yeah it would.”

“So do you want to watch a Halloween themed movie? I know of some really scary shit and some that are just totally out there.”

“Sure, if that’s how you celebrate Halloween when you’re not a kid anymore. Spits snuggled into my side as I went to the videos on demand app and loaded up The Orphan. I think some psychological horror would be good right about now.

***

Meanwhile at Area 51…

Agent Finley had been in this lab with one of the agency’s best forensic recovery technician trying to recover anything from the plastic slag recovered from the trash can last week. He had been getting little sleep so him falling asleep on a desk wouldn’t be that far of a stretch. His mind had been wracked with finding this spy that infiltrated one of the most secure and secret sites on American soil. It wasn’t all that secret, but it definitely was secure and hard to get in to.

“Sir?” a female technician’s voice said. It startled him enough to wake him up. She had a smile on her face, “We have something.”

“What is it?” he replied as he wiped the sandman from his eyes.

She brought over a small tray consisting of a silicon chip, “What we have here is a computer chip.”

He gave her an unamused look, “No it’s a microwave TV dinner. Of course it’s a computer chip,” his voice dripping with sarcasm at first before deadpanning.

“It’s a chip to a voice scrambler.”

Finley perked up, “Well this confirms that it is a spy. Now to figure out who.”

Author's Note:

Fun fact: I actually worked at the parent company of that site, I’ll tell you this right away their warehouse based at their HQ is massive. I mean they have almost fifty aisles of floor stock alone and that doesn’t even cover the back stock or overflow stock. The warehouse was so massive they give scooters to the pickers so they have enough time to get to each product to the packing line.
When I mention classic Americana think Bioshock Infinite in the beginning of the game when you get to Columbia.
I've seen The Orphan, it's pretty nuts. It's not all that scary, but it does make you think about all the crazies out there masquerading as innocent looking people.


Oh and a random side-note: guess who gets to dress up like the "Sharp Dressed Man" (ZZ Top) at his cousin's wedding? This guy.
As usual I would love to believe that I caught all my mistakes, but if I didn't go ahead and comment it out or PM me and I'll fix it ASAP.

PreviousChapters Next