• Published 8th Nov 2013
  • 2,080 Views, 152 Comments

Bailing Out - PhillyCh3zSt3ak



No one really knows how fate works. Some times it works like you'd expect, but other times not so much, as Spitfire and Andrew are about to learn. Join our two heroes as they find that fate doesn't always work the way we think it should.

  • ...
18
 152
 2,080

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 27.5: Spitfire's Diary (Part 5)

A/N: Hey guys, I figured I've put off one of these chapters long enough, plus I KNOW you want to know what happened with Spitfire and the rest of the survivors of the base attack during the time our hero was off in a reenactment of a crime drama. I am using Earth dates even after Andrew and Spitfire go to Equestria because that is what we're comfortable with, and I haven't thought of suitable Julian-style month names that I could use as a substitute. Suggestions welcome.


Chapter 27.5: Spitfire's Diary (Part 5)


October 29, 2021

Well tomorrow's the day. Tomorrow me and Andrew (and a small support team consisting of his squad) will be coming with to see me off at the portal up in Alaska. I figure that tonight might be the last night that Andrew and I will be able to "do" anything together, especially if there is only enough power for one person to cross. So I talked to the officer in charge of the base we'll be staying at for the night ahead of time and managed to get us a private room where some of the civilian contractors stay when working on long-term projects. If everything works out perfectly Andrew will be able to come along, if not I'll pull every string I have to in order to get it opened once again so he can too. I mean "'till death to us part," am I right?


October 31, 2021 (Earth time) +5 hours after portal activation

I would have written in this yesterday, but shit really hit the fan and it's kind of hard to write in a personal journal/diary when you're being shot at. Yeah the shit really hit the fan in more ways than one. First we were shot down by an unknown entity, later to be known that it was the Russians, and were forced to crash land while Andrew was forcibly sucked out of the rear of the plane. Then we had to walk, thanks only two of us having wings, several dozen miles to the base that the portal was to be opening at. We arrived at the base only to learn that it was derelict and eerily quiet. We found every soldier, save for a few being interrogated at gunpoint, dead either in their beds or cut down by evidence of a barrage of gunfire.

Long story short Andrew used a Humvee's machine gun to hold off the advancing soldiers while those of us still remaining retreated through the opened portal. Luckily the portal was on a timer rather than based on how many people were passing through it. If it were then everyone except for me would be left behind since Andrew ordered the Strongman of the group, Sgt. Jones, to literally toss me through before anyone else. It was a little selfish, I admit, but in the end he wanted to make sure that I got through to safety. Everything past then has been a blur for me. One moment I'm being tossed through and being attended to by some of the guards of the Crystal Empire garrison, the next everyone but Andrew is running through the portal like a fruit bat out of hell.

I asked what was going on and one of the base personnel said that Andrew was going to do something inherently stupid; he was right. A moment later I saw him sprint-limping through the portal holding a remote detonator in one hand covering a gunshot in the stomach and his other holding his sidearm. He yelled at the mages to put up the strongest shield around the portal a split second before he flipped the switch setting off the high explosives on the other side. It wasn't the initial explosion he was worried about, but the secondary ones. What WAS the secondary explosion? A Mark-II fusion generator that was powering the other side of the portal.

On one side the entire base and subsequent battlefield was a several mile wide nuclear irradiated crater, and on the other side (ours) Andrew was blown away by the concussive blast that managed to rebound through the Royal Mages' barrier (supplemented by all four Princesses themselves) like a trampoline sending him hurdling into one of the supports for the castle causing innumerable injuries that the surgeons inside the ER are doing their best to fix.

Now I'm just sitting here waiting in a hospital waiting room covered with his blood all over my clothes from when I helped to try and stop the bleeding earlier. Out of everyone who crossed over the only one with life threatening injuries was Andrew. All of the Royal Mages passed out from magical exhaustion, even the Princesses looked as though they ran a marathon. One of the guards looked at the initial flash and is now blind indefinitely since my people haven't had the unfortunate "pleasure" of treating any injuries related to nuclear weapons. I pray that Equius, both allies AND enemies of Equestria never have to experience those weapons of destruction. The only other serious injuries were a few people getting shot in arms or legs, away from any major veins or arteries.

My parents are here comforting me. They were at the portal site to welcome me home along with the rest of my team. It's safe to say that they weren't expecting a firefight. They really want to meet hi-----------


October 31, 2021 (Earth time) +12 hours since portal event

I normally don't do supplements to these kinds of things, but this time it is for a good reason. Mainly I was interrupted by a nurse letting me know that they needed my permission to attempt a risky treatment before proceeding. Said treatment? A blood transfusion from a donor. Normally this would have been done without a second thought, however it was the fact of WHO it belonged to: Princess Twilight. Apparently they are a match for blood types and none of the donors in the hospital's emergency blood bank, all Crystalline by the way (excluding the mandatory supply of each of the Princesses' blood and their immediate family in the case of Twilight and Cadence), were. That worried me since Royal blood had been banned from public usage except on the Princesses themselves.

Someone theorized that since Princess Twilight had yet to reach full Royal maturity that the risks of it being deadly would be minimal. Now I'm sitting in Andrew's recovery room. He's covered in numerous bandages that have a bit of red seeping through from before the clotting set in. The soft and repetitious beeping of the heart monitor plays a sorrowful melody. Maybe if I can get my iPod charged I can put on some music for him, because wouldn't monotonous beeping drive him insane? Can you even hear anything when you're unconscious? I mean you have to hear SOMETHING, I mean you wake up whenever your alarms go off in the morning.


November 3

It's been four days since we got here and Andrew has yet to wake up. I'm worried, the doctors are worried, pretty much anyone that knows him or is caring for him is worried. The only thing that has been going on in the room is him sleeping and me punishing myself for forcing Andrew's people to build the other end of the portal. Because of my selfish want of going home soldiers and scientists who may not have died before, are now dead. That part is a fact, no matter how much I want to rationalize it.


November 4

There was a change in Andrew's condition today, or at least that's what the note delivered to my temporary office in the Crystal Empire said. So what did I do? I ran all the way to his room, hope filled, only to find that he had been intubated and had a feeding tube shoved down his throat. They told me that he started going into a seizure before dropping into a deep coma. They have no idea how long it'll last. I stayed in the room talking to an unresponsive husband before heading to my apartment and drinking myself to sleep, it wasn't one of my prouder moments.


November 12

No change today, just like the other days I've come in. Maybe he'll wake up in a few minutes. Yeah, I'll chastise him for doing something so idiotic then... wait did he just move? No? Ok maybe just a few more minutes then...


November 24

Well I've gotten a two week ban from the hospital. How? Well the head of security, and local law enforcement, don't like it when you punch a doctor for doing their job even though you don't think they're not doing it fast enough. Well I can still sneak in the room's window.


November 30

One week down, one to go. I've been sneaking in once a day to see Andrew, usually towards the end of the night for a half hour or so, that way I wouldn't get banned or worse held in the "drunk tank" and get an even worse rap around here. Yeah I may or may not have punched some creep in the jewels for coming on to me even though I had my ring on. That felt great, though I was sited with a misdemeanor; Cadence waived it though because she understood the circumstances while the guards in charge of the case didn't. Great, now I owe her one.

To blow off some steam I went to the Empire's shooting range. They looked at me a little cross when I wanted one of the M249's that came with us. Yeah the Imperial and Equestrian R&D departments are still looking on reverse engineering some of the firearms and tech brought over. So far they've only been able to make one of each firearm by non-magical means. That's probably why the range master was a little wary of letting me use it. An hour and a good thousand rounds later I was feeling better; however I did manage to unnerve many of the male (and some female) people on the range that day. Probably because all of my targets were male silhouettes, and they were all shredded in the place their family jewels would have been. I heard that my team, still currently under Soarin', are supposed to be stopping by to try and cheer me up. I swear if he tries anything may God, or any other deity, have mercy on his soul.


Narrator: "Meanwhile in Canterlot, a certain blue haired Angel captain suddenly grabbed his balls with a shiver going down his spine…"

"Pinkie, what are you doing?," a certain purple unicorn asked her friend who was wearing a set of studio headphones with a microphone sitting on a desk she was sitting at.

"Narrating what happened on the other side of the country in another dimension at the time a diary entry was being written whilist doing my imitation of Morgan Freestallion," she replied cheerfully.

"Ok then?" the unicorn replied while going back to her task of reorganizing the library, again.


December 12

Play the file

//play "Dec12-2021.mp3"

"God, are you up there? It's Spitfire. Yeah I know that we don't talk all that often, or at all; but I figured that it was better late than never to say speak to you. Though you were pretty much last on the list," she muttered. "I just wanted to say 'hi' and maybe ask for a teensy, weensy little favor. Nothing really THAT big. Maybe other than, just maybe, letting Andrew wake up. To make it even I'll climb up those stairs of that once church in Mexicolt, you know the one with the rough-cut granite stairs? Please?"


December 24

Life sucks. This time of year especially. For me last year it was the happiest season that I ever celebrated, that and it was the first time that Andrew and I truly became a married couple. Now all that's left for me is sadness and depression after the fact. I miss him. I miss him rubbing that one spot on my back that lets me know that he's there for me. It's hard to explain or put into words really.

Tonight at my apartment my parents are supposed to by stopping by for Hearth's Warming dinner. Part of me doesn't want to participate in it while Andrew is still in a coma, but the other part of me doesn't want to brush off my family. I'll put on my best "happy face" and just grin and bear it.


December 31

People have been calling me all day. I've ignored them and let them go to my answering machine. I've just been lying here in my bed. Alone. Under a thick blanket. Staring at the blank wall of this apartment. There is no happiness. No hope. I don't feel like getting up. I haven't touched his computer or phone as they remind me too much of him. I can't even bear to say his name let alone write it right now. My father tried to cheer me up the other day. And by "cheer up" I mean yelling at me saying that I am a soldier's daughter (and also a soldier) and soldiers of the Warhawk clan don't cry and mope around when times get tough. He doesn't understand, he really doesn't.


January 10, 2022

Well I'm feeling better today. I don't know if it's the uppers that I know someone's been slipping me over the last two weeks. I'm well and over the fact that Andrew might or might not come back. If he does, fantastic. If he doesn't… well I haven't gotten that far yet. In fact I am planning on heading out to the hospital for the first time since before Hearth's Warming/Christmas to go and visit him.


January 10 - Supplement

My moment of peace was so rudely interrupted. I don't even know if that's even right, but that's all I can really come up with right now. The reason? The doctor came into the room with bad news. The innate magic imbued in the blood transfusion he received is slowly killing him. In layman's terms the magic based radiation is slowly slicing up the cells in Andrew's kidneys, killing them. I obviously asked what could be done, the answer: a transplant from a high level Mage, or from Royalty themselves. Who is high level enough these days? Sombra? Not likely since his essence was blasted to oblivion (which for some reason Pinkie says tastes just like Red Bull, which in my opinion is disgusting) by the Crystal Heart. Meaning only Royalty is left. And to perfect the trifecta of fuckery: it has to be a blood type match, or familial match. Yeah, what are the chances of Andrew having a BLOOD RELATIVE here on Equius?


January 11

Me and my big mouth. And apparently Andrew's subconscious luck. A MATCH WAS FOUND! And cue the angelic choir singing the Hallelujah Chorus by Handel. Here's the kicker and you'll never guess who it was matched to. The one. The only. Princess Cadence herself. I don't know how, but they're blood relatives. Right now I'm not going to ask questions because who am I to kick a gift horse in the mouth? In retrospect considering that there's an alternate universe out there that contains colorful ponified versions of us, that saying is almost a pun. Well now that we've found a match I just need to convince a certain beautiful Princess to give up an internal organ. To be honest though it's not her I'm worried about, it's her husband, the Crown Prince. I remember when I served under him the year prior to being accepted into the Wonderbolts. He was a hard-ass and stickler for rules and regs back then, gods know what he's like concerning his wife.


January 12

I was right, he's still a stickler. And I was right, he didn't want his wife to sacrifice part of herself for someone she doesn't even know. Well being the Princess of Love gives her a certain insight, like seeing how much I love Andrew. She still make me work for it though, ie: begging her to do it. She is such a troll. I wonder where she gets it from?


Meanwhile at the Legion of Doom in Canterlot:

"*Achoo!*"

"Bless you, your highness," a guard said.

"Thank you," the Princess of the Sun replied. 'Hmm… it's not allergy season, which is something that has not plagued me in centuries. It's not the feather flu season. Ah! Someone must be talking about me,' she thought to herself.


Anyway she agreed to helping me because "family, no matter how distant, is still family." The Crown Prince wasn't too pleased, but then again who would be comfortable with their significant other giving away an internal organ. He swore that he'd be doing an extensive investigation on whether Andrew and the Princess were truly related or not. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be calling him "Unsure Fry" behind his back.


January 14

Well the surgery was yesterday, and the doctor was pleased to say that it was a total success. The Princess is off in her private chambers back at the palace under heavy guard (no thanks to Shining's paranoia) recovering. Everything's sealed up tight so I guess she's just sleeping off the pain meds that are most likely in her system. It's unknown why but as long as anyone can remember those with Royal blood tend to heal faster, having a skilled doctor well versed in healing magic also helps too.

According to Andrew's assigned doctor the toxic levels of magic have been steadily decreasing over the last twelve hours and as of sometime today he is expected to pass from the "high" level of magic poisoning to "moderate." They said that if everything goes according to how it's been decreasing it'll decay into non-existence by tomorrow sometime, which would be around the time he'd wake up, gods willing. I can't wait to talk to him again, not a comatose vegetable. That wasn't very nice of me, was it?


January 15

I don't believe it. No. I CAN'T believe it. I refuse to believe that Andrew doesn't remember any of the time we spent together. Hell, he doesn't even remember the first time we met. I mean it's sort of hard to forget meeting someone who you caught coming out of your bathroom stark naked, with a gun pointed at their head no less. The doctor says that it's his brain trying to cope with the traumatic experiences he suffered just before going into the coma. He said he'd consult with a neurologist or a psychologist or something for a second opinion.


January 20

It's been hard for me to come to the hospital every day. Not because of work or prior obligations, but because of every time that Andrew looks at me he doesn't recognize me at all. It's been close to a week and yet he still doesn't know who I am other than by name. Ok, he knows WHO I am, but not what we mean to each other. To me that's pretty depressing. Whenever we talk I tell him about what we did together, the fun stuff primarily. I figure easing him into what our relationship was like will help pave the way for the not so "fun" things we had to go through.

In other news I got a reassignment from the higher-ups, I am to report to Canterlot in two weeks' time to start the training regimen for the Winter Games opening ceremony. Apparently we're supposed to do a mini airshow towards the beginning of the ceremony. Also we're supposed to have a liason from the Crystal Empire joining us in a show of cooperation between Equestria's forces and the Empire's. Sometime during the festivities we're supposed to be having a mock dogfight with their Air Force. That should be interesting. Apparently the lads and gents in R&D have been making some prototype aircraft from the scientists that we brought with us designed in tandem with the Equestrian and Imperial scientists. If what scuttlebutt I've been hearing is true it'll be able to break the sound barrier. That would be awesome to fly. I wonder who they'll choose as the test pilot?


January 30

Well it's been about three weeks since Andrew woke up. The doctors said that I could take him home today, only to bring him back for appointments and such. Obviously. I was talking to one doctor for a second opinion on the whole feeling but can't move the legs thing, and obviously more testing is going to be needed on that, much to Andrew's dismay. I can already tell he hates the hospital more than anything. I'm writing this during the surgery that he's in. Hopefully they'll be able to figure out what's going on.


January 30 (continued)

Well the surgery is done. Considering that it was an exploratory surgery to look for stuff, it was a success. It's weird. The electrons are flowing from his brain to the bridged section of spine, but not continuing to his legs. It looks like some of the nanites are connected to the nerves but not the muscles that control motor functions. It's weird, I thought that it was either all or nothing with the nervous system. How do these artificial intelligence guided constructs choose to connect and which not to?


February 1

I talked to one of the scientists that we brought with us as well as Princess Twilight (who knew that she could be a code junkie with only a brief introduction on programming languages?) and they said that they could take a crack at the code and see if they could restart the replication process so the nanites could finish the job. Considering that it is quite the complex code it could take some time before any progress is made on that front. In the meantime they're going to let me take Andrew home to the apartment I have in town. I hope he likes what I did with the place as I've tried to make it as close to our home was back on Earth in terms of design and furniture layout.


February 15

Well after half a month both Princess Twilight and the scientists were able to crack the encryption on the nanobots and have started reprogramming them. Luckily the "swarm" runs on a partial hive mind so updating one of the suckers updates them all. So that's one issue taken care of. During the last few weeks I've been showing Andrew around the city. It's been pretty enjoyable. I still remember the stoic look on his face when the train showed the mountainside of Canterlot. When asked why his expression was the way it was he replied, "This is a piece of engineering that should be impossible by all accounts. It shouldn't be gawked at like some sort of oddity, but admired because someone had the vision (and balls) to make it happen." I personally think that he didn't want to look like one of the stereotypical characters that get thrown into these types of situations in fan fiction all the time. To an extent I agree, what person acts like that?

I can tell that Andrew is bored out of his mind while I'm out at the base working on maneuvers or paperwork (much to my displeasure. One reason that I wish the Shadow Clone jutsu from Naruto existed). He found my old guitar from when I used to have the time to play, and has been practicing on it while I've been away. I listened in once when I came home for lunch during one shift and it wasn't half bad. I guess you can get bored of playing games on the computer, even beloved games on emulators.


February 16

So today's the day. The day that hopefully the reprogramming gets uploaded to the nanobots. We're at the hospital again, mainly for "just in case" reasons. I mean it makes sense, we don't want him going into a seizure or anything at home where we'd have a good fifteen to twenty minute flight to the nearest hospital. Yeah we could teleport, but would the condition be stable enough to do that without endangering Andrew's life further? Frankly no one wants to try that one out any time soon. What I mean by that is no one wants the blood of an innocent on their hands.

They have me outside right now, again just in case they need to get nurses inside or whatever in the case shit hits the fan. According to some of the simulations that they ran, the upload will take a few minutes and the distribution of the changes to the code in a hour. After that we just have to wait and see happens.


February 16 (supplement)

Everything worked as planned, and Andrew (and sub-sequentially me) are pleased that he can now control some minor muscle movements, and by that I mean he can wiggle his toes (almost gleefully I might add). The doctor has already started planning a physical training regimen for him to follow and I can tell just by looking at it that it's going to suck.


April 13

It's been almost two months and Andrew's made a lot of progress, well while he continues to curse the physical trainer's training. He can walk around with a cane as support now, but the doctor expects that in the next few weeks he'll be able to walk fine without it. Which was music to his ears. We both have been mulling it over on how Andrew and Princess Cadence are related. I heard a while back that Princess Twilight and her assistant were doing some research on genetics and how some people were related to each other, I mean I didn't even know that Pinkie and Applejack were related by some family member generations ago. Both Andrew and Cadence submitted their family lines (primarily father's and mother's last names) to be researched. This was a few months ago, and finally Twilight has gotten back to us. Hopefully we can get some answers on that.


Author's Note:

Alright I figured a laugh was in order showing that Pinkie can certainly see into my 'verse and do a little narration in the soothing voice of Morgan Freeman. Admit it, you would probably enjoy having your life narrated by him ala-March of the Penguins style. Or at least for a while. The idea came from a comment thread another reader and I were doing for a bit.
And insert George Lopez reference from the episode where he bargains with God for his son's dog to live and he would do something similar to what I wrote. It was a funny episode.
As you may have noticed throughout the chapter I was running our poor heroine through the stages of grief. Why? Again because I am the god of this story… wait a second I've already done this bit. Bah, you get the idea. Anyway anyone who has had a family member or significant other in the hospital long-term for something that they might not bounce back from goes through this. Sometimes it's shorter in some stages while lingering in some others like anger and depression, and so on and so forth amongst the many numerous combinations. So going off of that I pose a question for my readers from the States: how many of you noticed that in 2001 after September 11th that the number of people going to churches increased? In times of crisis or trouble people head towards religion for answers that they seek. That Dec. 31st entry, geez that one was depressing to write.
Ok so I describe what the magic was like in destroying Andrew's kidneys. I got the idea from the series Naruto. Particularly the main character's technique called Rasenshurikin which when detonated exposes the poor bastard to millions of microscopic wind chakra based knives that pretty much dissect them to death. Honestly, not a way I would want to go.
And cue reference to a line that O'Malley said in a RvB episode. Yes, Pinkie broke the fourth wall by reference.
Yes I just made a jab at people that always have the transferred character gawk at the beauty of the city and other places. What's wrong with silent contemplation with a simple, "It's beautiful." instead of their jaw dropping to the ground or them exclaiming it to the heavens like Naruto screaming "Believe it!" I mean if you did that next to me you'd get a nice slap to the back of the head to shut up, followed by me saying "shut up."


Sorry this took a little longer than needed to get out, especially since I had this pretty much planned out from the get-go. I ran into some personal issues that have caused me to panic, however it has all been resolved. I also blame fanfiction.net for taking up all of my free time with such good stories.
On to less depressing things. College courses are starting back up for me so there might be a longer lull between chapters, as you have already seen. I apologize ahead of time but unfortunately for you guys schoolwork (which I'm paying for out of pocket) and the information I'm going to need for a permanent job comes first. Sorry.
In other gaming related news: Destiny purple engrams are my bane of existence. Enough said. Also I'm playing Pokemon Y so if anyone out there has X, PM me so we can do some game-exclusive trades (IE exchanging friend codes, God I hate those. Nintendo really dropped the bomb on that in my opinion).


I'd like to think that I've caught all my mistakes and errors. If I missed something, you know where to find me. Well at least not physically, if you did that'd be kinda creepy.

PreviousChapters Next