• Published 7th Nov 2013
  • 6,696 Views, 421 Comments

Augmented Love - Silentpegasus



After losing his right arm and eye, Crank Shaft, and his parents move to Ponyville to get away from the busy city and enroll him in the local high school.

  • ...
51
 421
 6,696

Chapter 10: Comfort

Chapter 10

Comfort

The next few days went by slowly to say the least. Dash refused to talk to the inventor and vice versa. Crank’s gym class had entered the health portion of the semester. The three friends were sitting next to one another when Principal Luna came into the room.

“Good morning students.” She said as they all perked up. “Unfortunately, Nurse Red Heart is sick with the flu and will be unable to teach you today.” Several students fist bumped at the thought of getting out of class. “Fortunately, we have a stand in.” Their dreams were crushed. A woman with long brown hair and a red horn coming from her forehead came into class.

Dash and AJ were trying to stifle their laughter as Crank’s face went pale. Several of the guys gawked at the doctor who looked like she was only in her late twenties despite her age.

“Morning everyone. My name is Dr. Nova and I will be teaching you all about sex.” She said with a smile. Luna left the room and Nova cleared her throat. She noticed her son and gave him a guilty smile. The remainder of class was the longest in the man’s life as he tried to hide his blush. Dash took the opportunity to actually participate in class just to make Crank feel awkward.

“Um Dr. Nova, I heard that the first time hurts. That true?”

“Well, in my personal experience-”

“Nope!” Crank yelled as he teleported out of the room in a flash of light. AJ casted Dash a dirty look as the bell rang. The students funneled out of the classroom and Nova packed her bag. Crank walked into the room and rubbed his head. “Mom why in the name of the creator are you here?”

“Sorry hun, but I owed Red Heart a favor.” She said with a weak smile. Crank groaned and apologized for teleporting out like he did. The man then made his way to math class and took his seat next to Twilight who glared at him.

“Something wrong Twi?”

“I heard that you almost shocked Rainbow over a photo.” Crank narrowed his eyes on the girl and sighed.

“Look Twilight, I really, really don’t want to talk about it.” Twilight sighed and dropped it. The remainder of the day went just as smoothly. As Crank got out of the school Twilight was waiting for him. The man rolled his eyes as she looked at him.

“Rarity told me that she saw your arm.” She said as she walked next to the man.

“Didn’t really have a choice. It was either I stop the machine or Rarity would get a fatal facelift.” Twilight gave a nod as a dark figure ran up behind her.

“Gotcha!” A voice said as a pair of hands grabbed Twilight’s shoulders. Twilight yelped and grabbed the stranger by the arm and flipped him over her shoulder and onto the cold hard ground. Crank blinked in surprise at the motion as Twilight got in a fighting stance. “Uncle! Uncle!” The stranger had light blue hair a white horn was coming out of his head and he looked like he was in his mid twenties.

“Shining?” They both said in surprise. The man got up and cracked his neck and looked at the inventor.

“Crank? What are you doing here?” Shining said as he brushed himself off.

“I live around here.” He said with a sigh.

“Why didn’t you tell me? I would have come to visit ya!” He said as he put him in a headlock.

“Why do you think I didn’t?” The man sent a surge of electricity through his body and made the man let go of him.

“Buzz kill.”

“Wait Shining you know him?” Twilight said as she looked at Crank.

“You kidding Twiley? This guy is my best friend.” The azure haired soldier said.

“That’s debatable.” Crank breathed out. He then perked up and looked at Twilight. “Wait Twiley? Don’t tell me you two know each other.”

“Well, of course I know him!” Twilight said as she crossed her arms. “He’s my big brother best friend forever!” She chimed. Crank looked between the two mages and pointed at them.

“You’re his little sister?” He said in shock.

“Yeah!” Twilight smiled. A long silence fell over the group until Crank looked at Shining.

“Since when do you have a little sister?” Twilight’s smile shattered and turned to face her older brother with a look that would make a timber wolf shiver.

“Shining.” She stated in an icy tone. “I thought you said that Crank was your best friend?”

“That is one sided.” Crank deadpanned.

“So how is it that he doesn’t even know that I’m your little sister?” Shining felt the amethyst eyes of death on him as he tried to think of a reasonable excuse.

“Um...slipped my mind?” Twilight yelled and tackled her brother and proceeded to beat him in ways only a sibling could. After a good five minutes, Twilight finally calmed down and noticed that a crowd had formed to watch the spectacle.

“Why didn’t you stop her?” Shining groaned as he got up and looked at Crank.

“And interrupt a heartwarming family reunion? What kind of friend do you think I am?” He chuckled. Shining brushed himself off and cracked his back. “So why are you here Armor?”

“Well, I had some time off so I decided to pay my sis a visit.” He said as the three started walking down the road.

“How goes the Empire?” Crank asked.

“Good, boring as hell though.” He sighed. “Mountains of paperwork.”

“I know the feeling.”

“So how exactly do you two know each other?” Shining looked at Crank who shook his head.

“Crank’s dad has a few contracts with the guard for weapons, medical supplies and other things like that.”

“I usually show up to test them and make adjustments.” Crank sighed.

“So how’s life going?” Shining asked.

“What did you break?” Crank asked as he looked at the captain.

“Why do you assume that I broke something?”

“Because its you.” Shining hung his head and sighed.

“Fine. Something's wrong with Shiela.”

“For Luna’s sake Armor! That stuff ain’t easy to fix ya know.” Crank grumbled.

“Don’t blame me! Why does it have six pedals, but only four directions?” He argued. Crank groaned and sighed.

“Fine. Drop it off and I’ll take a look.” Shining nodded as the man vanished in a flash of light. Twilight glared at Shining who had a guilty look on his face.

“So, what’s new with you sis?” He asked with a weak grin

“Why didn’t you tell me that you knew him?” She said in an annoyed tone. Shining hung his head and sighed.

“Look Twilight, Crank has some...circumstances around him. I’m not allowed to talk about it.”

“You mean his arm and eye?” Shining looked at his sister in surprise. “Celestia told me.”

“Yeah, that. It’s a very sensitive topic. The only reason that I know is because I was there when the accident happened.”

“I won’t ask. I don’t want to get you in trouble.” Twilight said. Shining smiled and gave her a nod.

“Okay, I’ll meet back up with you after I drop off what I need Crank to fix okay?”

“Okay, I need to do something anyway.” She gave Shining the directions to Crank’s house and headed towards the library. Her mind went back to what Dash told her the other day.

“And then he almost zapped me over a photo!” The flyer said in a frustrated tone.

“What was in the photo?”

“Pretty sure his girlfriend or ex-girlfriend.”

“What did she look like?” Fluttershy asked.

“Um, she had red hair. No wings or horn and she had different colored eyes.”

“What colors?” Twilight asked.

“Um, hazel and green I think.”

Twilight pushed the thoughts out of her head and hurried herself along.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The cyan flyer was laying on a cloud staring up at the afternoon sky. For some reason she couldn’t get the man’s face out of her head. Why was he so concerned about that photo? And why did it bother her so much when he yelled at her? The flyer grabbed her hair and grunted as she turned over on her stomach. She looked down and saw a large cloud of smoke in the distance.

The flyer flew towards the smoke and saw a large tent in the back of the inventor’s backyard. She touched down to see the man making his way out of the tent and she frowned. The flyer touched down and made her way over to the man.

“Hey!” The flyer called out. Crank turned to see the flyer. Crank let out a sigh and knew what he had to do. “What are-”

“Before you bite my head off, mind if I say something first?” Dash nodded and folded her arms. “I’m sorry.” Dash raised an eyebrow. “I admit I overreacted the other day. It’s just that,” The man cracked his fists and sighed. “that photo is very special to me and when you touched it I got a bit hot headed.” Dash suddenly felt a pit form in her stomach. “Just wanted to say that. Now what did you want?”

“Oh I just,” Dash felt her face flare up and her courage falter. In a panic she said the first thing that came to her mind. “I just came by to ask for an apology.”

“Excuse me?” Crank said as he frowned.

“Well, how was I supposed to know that that photo was special to you.” Crank narrowed his eyes at the flyer. “If it’s so special then why keep it in a place where you could lose it?”

“Keep shooting your mouth off and Sheila is going to get angry.”

“Sheila? Who’s Sheila?”

“Glad you asked.” He said as he pulled out a remote and pressed a button. The tent wall behind the man collapsed as a large metal object swung over his head and pointed directly at the flyer. Dash gulped when she saw that the rest of the tent collapsed and she was staring down the barrel of large tank.

“Hello, I am the N67 Manticore class battle tank. You may call me Sheila.”

“D-did that thing just talk?” She asked as her blood ran cold.

“Yes, yes she did. Care for another smart ass remark?” Dash shook her head. “Good. Asking for an apology really shows lack of integrity.”

“Why the hell do you have a tank?” She asked.

“Fixing it for a friend.” He said as Shining came back out with a few tools. He looked at the two and made his way up to them.

“Hey guys, everything okay here?” Dash looked behind her to see the guard captain.

“Shining Armor? What are you doing here?”

“I needed a tank fixed. You’re Rainbow Dash right?” Dash gave a sharp nod. The captain then noticed the glares the two were giving one another. “I’m not in the middle of a lover’s quarrel am I?”

“As if.” They both said in unison.

“I’m just making sure that the situation doesn’t,” He said as he looked at the tank. “go up in smoke.”

“Bad pun detected. Firing main cannon.” The tank said. Both the captain and flyer flinched as Shining’s horn started to glow.

“Relax, she’s not loaded.” Crank said as he walked to the other side of the tank and opened a panel. The inventor pulled out a blow torch and started working. Shining looked at Dash as the cannon turned back in front of the tank.

“Jeez, what is with that guy?” Dash said as she crossed her arms.

“Crank doesn’t get angry easily. What’d you do to piss him off?”

“I touched one photo and he gets all testy on me. What’s up with that?” Shining raised an eyebrow.

“Photo?”

“Some torn photo of a red haired girl in his wallet.” Shining’s eyes shrank and he shivered.

“Then you should be lucky that you’re still in one piece.” Dash raised an eyebrow. “One guy made a comment about her and he literally snapped him over his knee.” The flyer gulped. “He spent six months in the hospital with a fractured spine, broken right leg and fractured cheek bone.”

“Holy Celestia. He did that for a photo of his ex?”

“Ex? That’s not his ex it’s-” He stopped when the tank’s cannon pointed at him. “it’s not my place to say. Lets just say that it’s not his ex and that she’s not around anymore.” Dash felt a knot form in her gut and a feeling of guilt wash over her. Shining felt his phone ring and answered it.

Dash looked over at the man who was rewiring the tank and she flew off towards her home.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rainbow was laying on her bed and couldn’t get to sleep. What the guard captain had told her.

Ugh! I’m such an idiot! No wonder he was so protective of that photo.

Go and tell him you’re sorry!

I know, but he didn’t pick up his phone.

So do it in person. Dash sighed and got up. She changed into a pair of sweat pants and a jacket. She opened her window and flew out into the cold night sky. The girl flew up to the man’s window and lightly tapped on the glass. She peered into the window and saw that his room was empty. Great. She groaned. I’ll tell him tom- The girl then felt an invisible force grab her and yank her down towards the ground and a strong arm cross over her neck.

“Make a sound and I’ll-” Was all the assailant got out before Dash slammed her fist into his crotch and the man dropped to the ground in pain. Dash then started to take off only to be blindsided by another attacker and this one had wings. Dash felt a strong hand come over her mouth and muffled her yells.

She bit into the attacker’s hand and the man grunted in pain as he slammed his fist into her head.

“Shut it wench.” He said as he pulled out a knife. Dash looked up and saw that he was wearing a black ski mask and a dark hood. He was also wearing a skin tight suit that covered his skin and hair. “Try anything and you’ll get it.” Tears formed in her eyes and the other one she hit got to his feet. “Walk it off.”

“That bitch.” He grumbled in a high pitched voice. Dash noticed that this one had a horn coming from his head. “Now what?”

“Boss said we should rough her up a bit.” Dash tried to yell but the man’s black gloved hand was muffling her screams as she squirmed to get free. “Start with the wings. We don’t want her going anywhere.”

“Right.” He said as Dash felt herself being locked in a magical grip and felt pressure on her wings. The woman also felt her mouth being held shut as she tried to scream in pain. “Do we really have to do this?”

“Orders are-” The man was cut off as he was struck by a grey lightning bolt struck his face and he dropped to the ground. The magic user looked to his left to see a fist colliding with his face. His magic was cut and Dash dropped to the ground. Both attackers gulped when they saw the man with grey electric sparks radiating off his body.

“What the hell is going on here?” Crank yelled.The two attackers took a fighting stance and the magic user shot a few bolts that Crank deflected with his right arm. “Sheila!” Crank yelled and the tank roared to life. The two attacker’s faces went pale when they saw the lights on the tank come alive and it moved forward with the cannon pointed right at them.

“Fuck this! I’m not getting paid enough to fight a tank.” The flyer took off into the sky and Crank put his hand on the tread cover. He focused his magic and a grey salvo erupted from the barrel.

“Firing main cannon.”

The flyer as using every trick in the book to avoid being hit by the salvo as the magic user teleported away. After the flyer was out of range the inventor cut the power and looked at the shaking cyan winged flyer.

“Dash? You okay?” He said as he knelt down next to her. The flyer was visibly shaking and she had tears in her eyes. The lights in his home turned on and his mother came running outside.

“What in the name of the moon is going on out here?” She yelled as Crank picked the flyer up and ran towards the house.

“Dash got hurt by some thugs.” The two quickly made their way inside and Nova called the police. The doctor looked over the flyer and saw that thankfully nothing was broken. Her wing muscles were strained and she got a black eye. The police arrived and took statements. They were very curious why a seven teen year old high schooler had a fully functional military tank in his backyard. A blue suited police officer came up to Rainbow and let out a sigh.

“Ms. Dash, would you like a lift home?”

“N-no, I’m fine to fly.” She said in a low tone. Nova crossed her arms and scanned the girl’s body with her magic.

“Your wings are still agitated Rainbow. If you fly then you’ll run the risk of damaging them permanently.” Nova said. “You need to rest.”

“She can stay here for the night.” Crank stated. The officers all looked at the inventor.

“That okay with you Ms. Dash?” The flyer gave the officers a swift nod and they left. “Okay. If you remember anything else then just call.”

“Have a good night officers.” Nova said as she led them out. Crank got to his feet and looked at the flyer.

“C’mon, I’ll show you the guest room.” He said as he lead Dash upstairs. “Mind if I ask something?”

“What?” She said in a weak tone.

“Why were you at my house at midnight?” Dash hung her head as they walked into the guest room.

“I came to say I’m sorry about earlier.” She said as Crank grabbed some sheets and pillows from the closet. “Shining told me about how that girl in the photo isn’t around anymore and I felt bad about it.” Crank let out a sigh and bit his lip. “I was just being stubborn earlier. I’m sorry about what I said.”

“Its okay. I shouldn’t have gotten so sensitive about it not a fresh wound after all.” The man said as he finished making the bed. “If you need anything then I’m right across the hall.” Crank noticed that dash was still shaking a bit. “You sure you’re okay?”

“I’m fine. Just need to rest.” Crank nodded and went into his own room. He threw on a pair of sweat pants and got into bed. The man was snoozing when he felt something squish the edge of his mattress. He slightly stirred when he felt a feather brush against his exposed back. The man instantly turned over and saw a pair of magenta eyes looking at him.

“Dash?” He said in a groggy tone. “What are you-” He was cut off as he felt the girl shiver.

“C-can I stay here with you tonight?” Crank was lucky that it was very dark in his room or else she might have seen his tomato red cheeks.

“S-sure.” He said with a gulp. The man turned over on his side and tried to ignore the fact that there was an extremely attractive girl sleeping in his bed. Eventually sleep came to the man and he heard soft snores coming from the flyer.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was dark outside Manehattan, the two assailants were recovering from their run in with the inventor and the tank. The Unicorn held a gem that showed the image of another dark cloaked man with a long scar running down the side of his face.

“A tank?” The image said in shock.

“Yup a fucking tank. Military grade.” The flyer groaned. “Barely got out of there alive.” The image groaned and rubbed his head.

“That’s it! I’m calling it off!” He yelled. “We’ve been dogging this kid for over a year and all we’ve gotten is our asses being handed to us.”

“Praise the maker.” The mage said with a groan.

“You two rest up and keep your heads low.” The image flickered and cut out. The two sighed and each sat in a chair in their cheap motel room.

“Where did that kid get a tank? A gun I can understand, but a tank?”

“Remember the kid’s old man owns the biggest weapon company this side of Equestria.” The flyer grunted. He looked at the chip he had lifted from their employer’s home. “Hey, you have your laptop?”

“Yeah.” He said as he summoned his computer. The flyer took it and inserted the chip into the side port. “What’s that?”

“Insurance.” The Unicorn saw that the files were encrypted and started breaking away at the code. Two hours later the files were revealed. Most of them were video files. After three hours of watching the two looked at one another and grinned. “My friend, we just hit the mother bucking jackpot.” He said as they high five’d one another. The flyer grunted and felt another jolt of electricity hit him.

“You okay?”

“Yeah, that kid zapped me pretty good.” He said with a sigh. “How’s your face?”

“I think my cheek bone is broken.” He said as it was sensitive to the touch. “So what do we do with this info?”

“I say we hold it for ransom and milk the SOB for all he’s worth.”

“Good idea.” The Unicorn said with a smug grin.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sun shined through the man’s window and onto his face. He grunted and tried to sit up only to find that in her sleep, Dash had somehow coiled around him. Her head was just below his neck while her arms were around his upper body and one of her legs were wrapped around his own. Apparently, Crank’s arms had also wrapped themselves around the flyer. Crank looked down to see that Dash’s rainbow hair was over her face like a seven colored curtain.

The man put his finger on the girl’s head and poked it to see the that she was in fact real. Dash groaned and nuzzled her head against the man’s chest. Crank’s blush levels increased ten fold at the action. The AI appeared on the man’s nightstand and had a very amused look on her face.

“Hey stud.” The AI said as she waggled her eyebrows.

“D, shut up.” He said with a whisper. The cyan winged flyer stirred and slowly opened her eyes. A long silence fell over the group as Dash realized where she was. Her face went bright red and she immediately slugged the man in the stomach. Crank rolled out of bed onto his floor. “Jeez Dash what the hell?”

“What the hell were you doing?” She said as she covered herself with her covers.

“Sleeping in my bed.” Dash remembered the incident last night and blushed in embarrassment.

“Right, my bad.” Crank shook his head and looked down to see that the girl had left a drool stain on his chest. He blushed and quickly grabbed a long sleeve shirt that clung to his body. Dash saw the scar on the man’s right arm and quickly hid her blush.

“So, want breakfast?”

“Sure.” She said as she immediately hopped out of bed and the two made their way down stairs. The man walked over to the kitchen cabinet and pulled out a box of pancake mix. A few minutes later, the flyer was happily digging in to the pancakes.

“Someone likes pancakes.” The man teased.

“Shut up!” Dash said with a grunt. The AI then appeared on the table in front of the two.

“I took the liberty of sending Twilight and the other girls a message of the current situation.” The two then heard the doorbell ring and they looked at the AI in surprise. Crank got to his feet and saw the five girls still in their pajamas with concerned looks on their faces. Crank couldn’t help but chuckle at Rarity who still had curlers in her hair.

“We just got the message. How’s Rainbow?” Twilight said as they made their way into the man’s home.

“Currently, having breakfast.” He said as he pointed into the kitchen. The five girls rushed up to the flyer who gave them a weak smile.

“Are you alright darling?” Rarity asked. Dash was stifling her laughter as she looked at her friend.

“Yeah, but are you?” Rarity looked int he mirror and let out a small shriek. Crank pointed to the nearest bathroom and the woman zoomed off. The other girls realized their predicament and Rarity teleported them each an outfit to wear. Crank then went over what happened the night before.

“So Sheila and I managed to scare them off.” Crank said.

“Who’s Sheila?” Pinkie asked.

“The eighty ton tank in my backyard.” The girls immediately got up and looked out the window and saw the large tank looking at them with the cannon.

“Hello, I am the Manticore class N67 military battle tank. You may call me Sheila.” The girls all gulped and looked at the man.

“Um, Sheila, you’re scaring them.”

“My apologies.” The tank then seemed to shut down and a purple AI in the shape of a woman with short hair appeared on the counter. “Is this better?” The AI said n the same monotone voice.

“D has a sister?” Pinkie asked.

“Nope.” Crank said as D then appeared beside the other AI. “Sheila is a completely different AI than D.”

“How?” Twilight asked.

“Sheila is a dumb AI.”

“That’s not nice. Sheila seems smart.” AJ said.

“Crank is correct. Dumb means something entirely different to an AI than to a human.” Sheila stated. “My functions are only for logistical support and operating the tank.”

“So what’s a smart AI?” Twilight asked.

“A smart AI is like that of a human mind.” Crank said. “They can think outside the box and aren’t limited to set standards.”

“Why in the hay do you need the AI things?” Dash asked.

“AI help my dad’s company work.We couldn’t run half our equipment without them.”

“So you must have a lot the smart ones then.” Fluttershy said.

“No, currently there is only one smart AI in Blackhawk industries.” Sheila stated as she looked at D who shrugged.

“Sheila, head back in.”

“Acknowledged.” Sheila then went back into her tank.

“So how do you make a smart AI?” Dash asked. D vanished from the room and Crank scratched the back of his head.

“Its way too complicated to explain.” He said as he levitated the dishes into the sink.

“Why do you have a tank anyway?” Twilight asked.

“Ask Shining. He completely screwed up the firing mechanism.” He groaned. “Took me all afternoon to fix it. He should be back this afternoon to take it back.” The six girls then walked into the living room and started chatting with one another. As Crank was doing the dishes Fluttershy walks up to him. “Hey Shy, what’s up?”

“Oh I just came to see if I could help with anything.” She said in her usual timid tone.

“No thanks, I’m almost done.” He said as he put a plate in the washer machine.

“Okay, I’m just still surprised.”

“At?” The man asked as he looked at the animal caretaker.

“How Rainbow agreed to stay the night. She’s usually so stubborn and won’t accept anyone’s help.” The flyer said in her usual timid tone. “I guess she must really like you.” The comment made the man blush and quickly hid it from the yellow winged flyer. The two then rejoined the group of girls who were still chatting with one another.

“So you stayed the night Dash?” AJ asked. D reappeared and had a smirk on her face.

“Yeah considering these two woke up-” Crank pulled out his screwdriver and pointed it at the AI who’s voice cut out.

“Yeah, Dash stayed in the guest room.” Crank said as Dash gave him a nod. Rarity raised an eyebrow at the two and stood up.

“So sorry everyone, but I have to get back and open up my shop.” The seamstress said with a smile. “So glad that you’re okay dear.” The other girls also got up and made their way towards the door. Crank held the door open for them and dash was the last to leave.

“Hey thanks for helping me out last night.” She said with a smile.

“No problem, they were most likely trying to get to me through you.”

“Think they’ll come back?”

“I have a tank. I think I’ll be okay. Just watch yourself.” He said with a smile. Dash gave him a quick hug and kissed him on the cheek. Both of their faces went scarlet red in a flash.

“I gotta go bye!” The flyer said as she zoomed off into the sky. Crank stood at the open door for creator knows how long before he came to his senses. He went back inside and looked at the still muted AI who had a smug grin on her face. He used his screwdriver to give her back her voice.

“You liiiiiike her don’t you Cranky~” She said in a sing-song voice.

“Oh shut up!” He said as he stormed off to his workshop.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later that day, the guard captain returned to the man’s home to retrieve the fixed tank. Twilight had told him what had happened with the attackers and Rainbow Dash. Shining circled around the house and saw the man finishing up on the tank.

“Morning Shining.” The inventor said with a smile.

“That’s all you can say? You got attacked last night!” The man yelled. Crank rolled his eyes. “You could have been killed!”

“I’m fine. So is Dash.” He said as he crossed his arms. “I can take care of myself just fine.”

“I’m just worried about you.” He sighed. “She told me to look after you and-”

“Enough!” The man yelled as his magic flared. “I can handle things just fine captain.” Shining sighed and backed off.

“Fine, but you’d better start finding the difference between your enemies and your friends.” He said as he made the tank vanish. “How is the armor coming along?”

“I have a prototype ready for testing.” The man said in a flat tone.

“So I’ll see you in Canterlot next weekend?” Shining said as he looked at the inventor.

“Yeah, see you then and tell your guards they’re going to need to work hard.” Shining chuckled.

“Just go easy on them.”

“No promises.” The man siad with a chuckle. "Oh and before I forget. Here." Crank then pulled out an electronic pad that looked like a radar screen.

"What's this?" Shining asked.

"When I zapped one of the thugs I managed to put a tracer on them." Shining grinned. "It's still trying to locate them, but I want them found and alive. I've got questions for them." The inventor stated in a flat tone.

"Fair enough." Shining said as he looked at the pad. "I'll let you know when we find them."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Twilight walked into the hospital with a disappointed look on her face. She had just spent ten hours browsing through the medical text books in her library. Unfortunately, someone had taken out the one she needed. She walked up to the front desk and saw nurse Care Heart. She was working at the computer when she saw the scholar.

“Oh hello Twilight.” She said with a smile.

“Evening Care Heart. I’m doing a project on hereditary genes. Is there anyone here who can help me? I tried looking it up in my library, but someone has the book out.”

“What about the internet?”

“I don’t trust it.” Twilight had always distrusted the machine and always used books for her reports. The nurse rolled her eyes and thought for a moment.

“You’d have to ask Dr. Stable. He’s good with that stuff. He should be in the on call room. You know where it is?” Twilight nodded and quickly made her way down the hall. She found the correct room and saw a man with a tan horn and while coat reading a book. She knocked on the door and got the man’s attention.

“Dr. Stable?”

“Yes, how can I help you?” He asked as he put his book down.

“I was just hoping to ask you a few medical questions. If you’re too busy then I can come back later.”

“Nonsense. I always like answering questions to help people better understand the medical field.” He said as he moved over on the couch to make room for the scholar. Twilight smiled and sat down next to him. “So what’s on your mind?”

“I have a few questions about genetics.”

“That’s a broad question.”

“Specifically hereditary gene traits. Eye color in particular.”

“Well, eye color is a polygenic trait that is controlled by multiple genes. Most of the time it’s hereditary from the parents.”

“What if they have different colored eyes?” The doctor scratched his chin and thought for a moment.

“Well, it’s usually passed down from one of the parents and is considered a mutation of the genes.” Twilight gave a nod. “If it’s not present then it’s possible for the genes to be corrupted by some outside force. Possibly drugs or alcohol, but that would lead to several other problems.” The doctor heard a beeping noise and looked at his pager.

“Sorry Ms. Sparkle, but duty calls.” He said as he stood up.

“That’s okay. Thanks anyway.” As she stood up and walked towards the door the doctor had an epiphany.

“Wait, there is one other scenario.” Twilight turned towards the doctor. “Different colored eyes are usually a trait belonging to twins.”

“Twins?”

“Yes, you see both twins were split from the same original egg and they can share DNA traits such as height, skin color, gender and eye color.” Twilight bit her lip and ran the info through her head. “So sorry, but I really need to get going. Good luck with your research.” He said as he walked past the girl and quickly made his way down the hallway. Twilight made her way out of the hospital and teleported in a flash of purple light.