• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 15,439 Views, 298 Comments

The Lost Prince Returns - Robobrony



The long lost little brother of the royal sisters has finally come home.

  • ...
20
 298
 15,439

Chapter 5: The Cats Out of The Bag (Edited)

Chapter 5: The Cat’s Out of The Bag

The new day has arrived. Thanks to his older sister Luna, Dawn Light had yet another peaceful night’s rest. His sleep started out with that nightmare of being in a void again, which greatly upset him until Luna came to him in his dreams as he slept. Today was the day his sisters would arrange a press conference, whatever that was, to inform the kingdom of his return. He didn’t know what a press conference was, but it sounded like something where the ones in charge of spreading news to the kingdom would come together. Maybe all the town criers would be there, if they even had those anymore.

Dawn Light was on his way to the dining hall for breakfast while being escorted by Feather Wind and Night Wing when he had another encounter with his nephew prince Blue Blood, who he greeted with a smug grin. “Oh good morning, my dear nephew Blue Blood. How are you this morning?”

Blue Blood scowled and raised his nose, as if he was “above” the Prince. “Hmph, don’t think I’ve forgotten that little ‘prank’ you and Discord pulled on me yesterday, I still say your nothing but a street urchin Luna and Celestia picked up off the street as a charity case. You don’t deserve to be here.”

Dawn waved a hoof. “Awe c’mon, you’re sore over a little prank, it was harmless fun.”

Blue Blood glared at Dawn. “Harmless fun? Hardly, you turned my coat plaid….PLAID, of all things. It was horrid.”

Dawn felt sorry, Blue Blood may be a bit stuck up, but he was still family. Dawn gave a genuine smile. “I’m sorry Nephew, would it help if I said I was sorry? I was just having some fun with Discord. Even the staff around here gets a laugh from the pranks he pulls, especially the ones being pranked.”

Blue Blood lowered his head and practically pushed his nose to Dawn’s. “Well I don’t like being pranked. You had best be careful little prince.” Blue Blood then pulled back and smirked. “You know, it’s my understanding that you aren’t really sure you are home, that this is all just another illusion you’re having while in that dark void discord put you in.”

“I am home, I’m sure of it now, Luna keeps coming to me in my dreams, it starts out as that horrible place, but then Luna shows up and we talk and helps me have wonderful fun dreams so I get a good night’s rest.”

“But are you sure that’s real? What if Luna showing up is just another façade, a false image your mind is playing on you so you can cope with your loneliness.”

Dawn Light’s face contorted to one of uncertainty. “W-what, n-no, you’re wrong, I am home, I know I am.” Dawn tried to protest.

Blue Blood’s smirk turned to an evil grin. “How can you be sure? How do you know for a certainty that all this is real, that you aren’t still in that void dreaming all of this? For all you know, this is all just one big elaborate illusion.”

Dawn’s lower lip started quivering. “Sh-Shut up, you’re wrong, I know you are! I am home, this is real, it has to be!”

Blue Blood gave one last smirk. “You just keep telling yourself that, see you around uncle.” Blue Blood then just walked off past Dawn.

Dawn watched him walk away as tears threatened to escape his eyes.

The two guards with Dawn watched Blue Blood walk off with contempt in their stare.

Nightwing Leaned over to Feather wind and asked, “Don’t you just want to hit him sometimes?”

Feather wind Nodded, “Seems like every day”.

Once Blue Blood was gone, Dawn Light dropped to his haunches and let a few tears escape. The two guards approached the young prince. “Sire?” Night Wing started. “Don’t listen to him, he’s just trying to get to you.”

Feather Wind pitched in. “Your majesty, this is real, your sisters informed us of your fears and all we can really do is tell you that this is real and you are home. You shouldn’t listen to prince Blue Blood, he always acts like that.”

Dawn Light just looked up at them as he wiped his nose with a hoof and a few more tears started running down his cheeks. He stood back up and continued on his way to the dining hall with his head hung low. A thought crossed his mind. “I shouldn’t listen to him, I am home, I have to believe that, this is real, it is! The guards are right, he’s just trying to get back at me for that prank. Well, I’m not going to let him get to me. I am home…….but what if he’s right?” Doubt reared its ugly head again in Dawn Light’s head.

As breakfast went on, he was cheered up by his sister’s presence and more of Discord’s antics. During which, he took the time to tell his sisters what Blue Blood said to him. Celestia made a promise to speak with him later. For now, they needed to get ready for a meeting with the press.

It was now 10 in the morning as the princesses stood just outside the castle entrance where many ponies with cameras and notepads stood at the ready. Celestia was on the left and Luna on the right. Dawn Light was waiting just inside for the princesses to signal for him to come out. He paced back and forth in front of his personal guards. “Oh hayseed, maybe this wasn’t such a good idea, maybe I should have let my sisters think of something better. What would I say, what would I do?” He paused a moment and went to one side of the doorway to peek out. “And what are those things around those pony’s necks?”

Once Celestia got every ponies attention, she began. “My faithful subjects. We have asked you here today to inform you that some pony very dear to me and Luna has returned after being gone for a very long time.”

Luna continued. “A thousand years ago, our little brother Dawn Light disappeared from the world by the claws of Discord. Do not fault him, for this had transpired long before his initial internment in stone.” Many of the cameras went off and reporters shot off questions at the same time.

Celestia raised a hoof to silence them. Once they did, she continued. “Three days ago, he returned to us. He has come home, and we are very pleased to introduce to you all our little brother, prince Dawn Light.” Celestia and Luna each stepped to one side to let Dawn Light stand between them.

After Celestia made the announcement, Dawn Light started talking to himself. “Ok Dawn, this is it, time to meet your public.” He stepped out from the side of the door he was hiding and walked out with his head raised trying to look proud. As he walked, he tripped and tumbled. “WHOA!” His crown fell down on his head a little covering his left eye. He quickly stood up and readjusted his crown and continued on like nothing happened.

Luna and Celestia couldn’t help but smile a bit. Once Dawn stood between his sisters, he started. “Greetings my new subjects, I am-HEY!” Cameras started flashing, cutting him off from his speech. “What Magic is this?!” He exclaimed.

“Where have you been?” One reporter asked.

“Could you tell us in detail what happened to you?” Another asked

“Do you resent Discord for what he did?” Another asked, all while camera’s continued to flash in Dawn’s face, blinding him.

He raised a hoof to his face to shield his eyes. He was starting to get scared. “I… that is… what?” He tried to answer the questions, but they came too fast and the cameras were too bright.

The two sisters saw Dawn’s distress and each quickly spread out a wing to shield him. “Enough! Please stop for a moment!” Celestia ordered, but the reporters were relentless. Dawn Light cowered a little behind the wings of his sisters.

Luna brought her wing back and used her royal Canterlot voice to get their attention. “THAT ‘S ENOUGH, CEASE AND DESIST!” Her shout pushed some of the reporters back and silenced them. They all cowered down now.

Once things settled, Celestia turned to Luna and whispered, “Luna, was that really necessary?”

“Did you not see the distress our little brother was in, the reporters would not stop. I had to do something.” Luna retorted in as hushed a tone she could manage.

The two sisters then turned to Dawn Light who was shaking a little on the ground. “Dawn Light, are you all right?” Celestia asked with concern.

“Wh-what are those flashing things sister?” Dawn asked as he looked up at his sisters.

“They are called cameras, they are devices used to take a still image of a moment in time, it is a common tool nowadays for a reporter to have.”

“Does all that flashing have to be so bright?”

Luna answered. “We are sorry we did not warn you about that little brother, we will try to remember such things in the future. Will you be all right?”

Dawn stood up. “Yeah, I think so. Now that I know, I think I’ll be all right.”

The two sisters turned back to the reporters. “Every pony, please show some self-control, we understand you all have many questions, and we will do our best to answer them, but we also ask that you be gentle with the picture taking and asking of questions. Raise a hoof and Dawn will point to you to ask the question you wish.”

Dawn Light took his place between his sisters again. Dawn looked a little worried but continued on. As Celestia ordered, a camera did go off every once in a while. Dawn Light cleared his throat and began. “All right, who has a question?” Many hooves went up. Dawn pointed to a mare reporter. “Yes?” you there.”

“Molly Mare of the royal steed, where have you been since your disappearance?”

“I was cast into a void of nothingness, there was literally nothing around me. Simply put it was a nightmare and I would really like to just forget about it thank you. Next question.” More hooves raised. Dawn pointed to a stallion near the center. “You there.”

“Quick note of the Canterlot times, do you hold a grudge against Discord for doing that to you?”

“I did at first, but over the course of the few days I’ve been back, we have started to get along, he’s a lot of fun to be around and we are starting to become friends. Anything else?” Dawn pointed to another stallion near the front.

“Scoops of Ponyville paper. How long were you imprisoned?”

“About a thousand years. Could you please stop asking me questions about where I was, I don’t like to talk about it and I would like to forget it as I said earlier. One more question.” More hooves raised. “You there.” He pointed to another mare.

“Quick shot of Manehatten news. As we all know, your sisters govern the sun and moon and princess Cadence is the alicorn of love, what is your special talent?”

Dawn’s face dropped at that question. “I….I haven’t found it yet. I don’t know what I would be good at.” Dawn then gave a look of determination. “But I will one day. I don’t know what it is yet, but I will find it.” Feeling as though he had done what was required of Him, Dawn finished with the comment “I thank you all for your time.” Before taking a step back and standing betwixt his Sisters again.

The two sisters felt pride in their little brother for handling things so well. Celestia looked over the crowd. “We thank you all for coming, I’m afraid that is all the time we have for today. We will be announcing a day to celebrate our little brother’s return soon.” The three alicorns turned and walked into the castle as the reporters tried to shoot more questions and pictures their way. The door closed behind them once inside.

“You did wonderfully Dawn Light.” Luna complimented.

“My heart was racing a mile a minute, I was so nervous, I’m glad you were there with me.” Dawn said to his sisters.

“I must admit, that went better than I thought it would.” Celestia commented.

“So what now sisters?” Dawn asked with a smile.

“Well, with that out of the way, I suppose now you can pay visits to the cities if you want.” Celestia smiled as she responded.

“Great. HEY, I know! Can I visit my cousins Twilight and Spike in Ponyville and see the other harmony bearers for a while? Please please please?” Dawn was literally jumping for joy at the idea.

The two sisters looked unsure. Luna voiced their concerns. “Dawn, we are not sure it is such a good idea to go out so soon.”

“Come on Luna, I’m bored here, there’s just nothing for me to do around here except hang out with Discord and he’s just as busy as you two so I’m left on my own with just a pair of guards to follow me around.” He looked to the guards. “No offense guys.”

“Um, none taken your majesty.” Feather wind responded with a bit of confusion.

“Well….” Celestia started.

“Please sisters, I’ll be with Twilight the whole time, she can look after me while I’m there and I’ll be with ponies you know! Please?” Dawn was giving his best pout as he made his eyes as big as dinner plates with tears forming, made his bottom lip quiver, and gave out a lowly whine.”

Celestia’s next statement made it clear Dawn had won his argument. “Fine, we’ll make preparations for you to visit with Twilight for a while in Ponyville.”

Just as quickly as it had appeared, Dawn’s pout vanished and was replaced with a huge grin. “YAHOO, I FINALLY GET TO GO OUTSIDE THE CASTLE!”

Luna cut in on his excitement. “Dawn, we do not want to take any chances, so we will have the guards of Ponyville keep a close eye on you to make sure nothing happens. A pair will be with you at all times there just as here, understood?”

Dawn nodded energetically. “No problem sisters, as long as I get to see what things are like outside.”

Luna and Celestia let a smile creep onto their face. “It’s so good to have you back little brother.” Celestia commented. The two leaned down and nuzzled Dawn Light. He just accepted it with a huge smile.

Later that day, Twilight was in her library tending to her books when Spike let out a belch of green flame, it turned to smoke and swirled around as it formed into a scroll. “Twilight, we got a letter from the princess!” He called out.

Twilight removed her attention from the shelf and made her way over to her assistant. “Let’s see.” Twilight took the scroll from her number one assistant. “I wonder what she’s writing to me about?” She opened the scroll and began to read.

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

Earlier today, as you know, my sister and I held a press conference to inform Equestria of our little brother’s return. Once the news has been spread and everypony knows of him, Dawn Light would like to come and stay with you for a few days to see the town. We hope you do not mind taking care of him for a while, he is very excited about staying with his new cousins and seeing other places outside the castle. We trust you will take good care of him while staying with you. If this proves to be an inconvenience, be sure to let me know.

Princess Celestia.

Twilight let out a little chuckle. “What is it Twilight, what did she say?” Spike asked.

“It seems we’re going to get a visit from our new cousin soon Spike, we better start preparing the guest room. But first, we need to write back and let the princess know it’s fine for him to come.”

Spike smiled. “Really? Neat.” Spike retrieved a quill and parchment and prepared to write down Twilight’s response which would be most favorable to Dawn Light.

Once the letter was sent, Twilight had a thought. “Hold on, royalty is coming.” She let out a gasp. “We gotta warn the town and get everything ready for a proper welcome!”

Spike deadpanned. “Twilight….you’re royalty, and the ponies here don’t even know about Dawn Light yet.” Spike continued normally. “And besides, I doubt he’ll care if he gets an extravagant welcome or not.”

Twilight took a moment to calm herself and took a deep breath. “Your right Spike, I’m just worrying myself again. Everything will be fine.”

Two days later, once the news of the new prince had spread sufficiently, Dawn Light was now free to go pay a visit to Twilight in Ponyville. Dawn was busy in his room packing his personal effects in a suitcase. Mostly just basic grooming supplies.

“Ok, tooth brush, check. Fur, mane, and tail brush, check. Shampoo, check.” He listed off each item as he floated them into his bag. Silver Spark and Night eye stood inside his room watching him pack. “Well, I think that’s everything. I’m so excited, I just know this is going to be fun.”

“So you’re leaving for a little trip huh?” Discord’s voice asked from just outside the room.

Dawn turned around and saw Discord standing there with a frown. “Hey Discord, sorry but I really want to get out there. I’m gonna miss you though, but I won’t be gone long.” Dawn walked up to Discord with a smile.

Discord smiled back as he leaned down and picked Dawn Light up in a hug. “I’ll miss you too, you seem to be the only pony around here with a real sense of humor. It’s going to be boring around here without you.”

Discord placed him back down. “Be sure to do something real good to Blue Blood for me, I owe him for trying to make me cry a while back.”

Discord gave a shocked expression. “Really, what happened?”

Dawn explained the situation. Despite Celestia giving him a good talking too, Blue Blood still seemed to dislike the little prince.

Discord lit up with a smirk. “Don’t worry, I’ll be sure to prank him real good for you while you’re gone, then when you get back, I’ll tell you all about it.”

A guard soon came up to the two. “Your majesty, the carriage is ready.”

Dawn looked past Discord to the guard. “Ok, thank you.” Dawn turned to his suitcase and tried to use his magic to lift them up. “Ung, hrrn. Come on you stupid bag.” He was having trouble lifting it.

“It seems you have a ways to go with your magic.” Discord pointed out.

Dawn dropped his concentration. “It seems so, I can make a shield but it isn’t very strong.”

Silver Spark stepped forward. “Allow me your highness.” Silver Spark lit up his horn and levitated the bag up.

Dawn gave a smile. “Thank you Silver Spark.”

Silver Spark gave a nod. “You’re welcome your majesty.”

Discord walked with the young prince as he made his way to the platform where the carriage awaited. Upon arrival, he was greeted by his sisters, Celestia and Luna. “Hello Dawn, ready to go?” Celestia asked.

“I sure am, I can’t wait to see what’s out there.” Dawn expressed as his bag was loaded into the closed carriage that was to be pulled by four pegasi. “I’m gonna miss you sisters.”

The three shared in a group hug. “We shall miss you too Dawn Light, just remember to be good for Twilight while you’re there. She will be in charge of you. Understood?” Luna pointed out.

“Don’t worry big sisters, I’ll be good, I am a prince after all.” Dawn was grinning from ear to ear.

Dawn Light made for the carriage and gave one last goodbye. “Bye sisters, bye Discord, I’ll see you all later.”

Discord waved his lion paw goodbye. “Good bye Dawn, see if you can stir up a little chaos while you’re there.” He said half joking, half serious.

The sisters gave him a glance, ignored his comment and turned back to Dawn. “Farewell little brother.” Luna stated.

Dawn Climbed into the carriage and closed the door behind him. That was the signal for the pegasai to take off. They galloped forward, spread out their wings, and took to the air, their destination being the little town of Ponyville, the home to the newly appointed princess Twilight Sparkle and Spike, Dawn’s latest cousins.