• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 15,419 Views, 298 Comments

The Lost Prince Returns - Robobrony



The long lost little brother of the royal sisters has finally come home.

  • ...
20
 298
 15,419

Chapter 1: The Return

The Lost Prince Returns
Chapter 1: The Return

There is a part of Equestrian history that has long been forgotten by the citizens of Equestria, a part that only the ruling sisters remember. A terrible tragedy befell their family before the evil god of chaos, Discord, was sealed away in stone; a part of their family was lost, seemingly without a trace.

Today, that lost part comes back. It was a sunny day in Equestria, as a simple servant was making her way through the Canterlot castle gardens when a white flash caught her attention off to the side behind some bushes. She paused from her duties a moment and out of sheer curiosity, approached the bushes to see what the flash might have been.

She reached up a hoof and pushed the bushes aside to see behind them to find a small pony lying in the grass with its hooves pressed tightly over its eyes. The pony had a light yellow coat and a light blue mane and tail. The pony had no cutie mark, and seemed to be very young.

She figured if the pony were to stand up, it would be slightly shorter than her. She cautiously approached the pony and attempted to speak with it. “Hello? Are you ok?” She asked quietly as she drew closer. While doing so, she could hear the pony muttering to themselves. From the sound of the voice, the pony was a colt. She also noticed the pony had wings and a horn, the clear signs of an alicorn, and typically the signs of royalty.

Soon enough she could make out what the young colt seems to be saying. “Just another dream, just another dream. It’ll be over soon, Just like the rest. It’ll be over soon, just like the rest.”

Again she spoke, “Hello? Are you ok? Is there something wrong?”

The young colt just continued mumbling, “Just ignore the voice, it isn’t real, nothing here is real.” The colt continued to mutter as he lay there with his hooves still pressed tightly over his muzzle and eyes.

Out of concern the mare tried to reach out to touch the poor thing. As her hoof drew closer, the young colt opened one eye, saw the hoof, then promptly closed his eyes even tighter as his horn immediately lit up with yellow light, projecting a rudimentary shield. This caused the mare to quickly pull her hoof back. She cried out as she stumbled back in surprise. The Young colt simply kept muttering to himself, “Don’t touch me, you aren’t real, stay away from me!”

“What’s going on here?” Came the bold voice of A unicorn guard in gold armor. As he approached he asked, “Miss, what is going on?”

The mare began to explain, stuttering slightly as she said “I-I don’t know, I saw a flash behind the bushes here and when I looked, I found this pony here muttering to himself. I don’t know why, but he’s obviously scared.”

The guard looked at the young pony curiously, then turned to the mare again. “An alicorn? Where did he come from?”

The mare simply replied “Like I said, I don’t know. I just found him here.”

The guard approached the shielded colt and eyed it carefully. He tried to speak to the young pony. “You there, who are you?” After a few moments of silence, he questioned the colt again. “Where do you hail from?” The young colt just kept right on muttering to himself, completely ignoring the now frustrated guard.

“Just a dream, just a dream, go away, go away.”

Again the guard tried to communicate, “I said, where did you come from? Answer me or I’ll see you in the dungeons.”

“It’s just an illusion, nothing is ever real, it’s just never real. I’ll never see home again.”

The mare interjected, “Um, sir, I think you’re just making matters worse, can’t you see that he’s scared?” The maid tried to reason with the guard.

“Regardless, whoever he is, he got here without permission or anypony knowing, and his being an alicorn raises too many questions to ignore him.” The guard responds.

“May I ask what is going on here?” A soft voice asked from behind the two.

The two ponies turned to see a familiar alicorn standing before them. Princess Celestia with a pure white coat, flowing mane and tail of soft rainbow colors, and golden crown and yoke with purple gems and golden shoes on her hooves approached. The two ponies bowed before her as the guard explained, “Your majesty, this maid says she spotted this young alicorn behind these bushes. He won’t respond to any of my questions. He seems to have come out of nowhere. I was about to break this shield he put up.”

Celestia looked down at the guard, then looked to see the young pony laying in the grass. She looked back at the guard. “I certainly appreciate your diligence in duty soldier, but Don’t you think that might be a bit harsh, he’s just a young colt. And, while he may be an alicorn, he is still young, and very clearly terrified.” The guard merely sat in silence with his thoughts, as Celestia stepped closer to the rather pitiful shield and looked down at the young pony.

The guard tried to stop her. “Princess please, I don’t know if that is such a good idea.”

Celestia didn’t listen. She lay down on her belly and looked closely at the young pony, speaking to him with a comforting voice. “Hello there, my name is princess Celestia, may I ask who you might be? And What brings you here?”

It was several moments before the colt began speaking again, albeit still to himself. “Not my sister, not real, never real, go away.”

Celestia cocked an eyebrow at this. “Sister, why whatever do you mean?”

The colt simply continued to mumble. “Not my sister, never really my sister, go away, just go away.”

For a brief moment, and for the first time ever for the guard and the mare, a look of sheer confusion sat plastered on Celestia’s face. “Sister?….wait.” Celestia’s eyes widened as she began to realize something. “It…….can’t be.” She looked closer at the pony, as close as she could through the shield he had up. “This is……impossible.” Celestia was clearly Shocked and surprised. “Dawn Light?”

“I know who I am, you are not real, go away, just go away, I tire of these illusions.”

Celestia grew worried. “Dawn Light, it’s me, your sister.” The Guard and the servant glanced at each other, both understandably confused at that last statement.

“Not real, not real, never real! GO AWAY!” He shouted, all the while keeping his muzzle covered.

Celestia began to speak with an earnestness in her voice. “Dawn Light, look at me! I am real!” She cried.
“Not real, not real!”

Celestia narrowed her eyes, stood up, spread out her wings, and used a voice she had not used in a long time, her royal Canterlot voice. “DAWN LIGHT, LOOK AT ME! SEE THAT I AM REAL!”

The shout caused the guard and servant to fall to their knees and cover their ears. The little alicorn cringed and his shield vanished into steam. He lifted his head up, blinked a few times and turned to face Celestia. “C-celestia?” He stammered. The young pony, now identified as Dawn Light narrowed his eyes. “No…..it can’t be……your just another illusion. Just go away and leave me alone.”

Celestia softened her look with a smile. “I am real, and this is no illusion.” She drew closer.

Dawn Light backed up as much as he could, only for his back to meet the walls of the castle. “NO, stay away from me, I want nothing to do with a fake!”

Celestia laid down on her belly again. “Dawn Light, can you not see that I am real? Look at me.” She reached out a hoof to touch him. Dawn light jerked his head away and closed his eyes. Celestia put her hoof to the side of his face and turned his head towards her. “Dawn Light, look at me.” She said quietly, a tear evident on her cheek. “I am indeed here, and I am indeed real.”

Dawn Light’s eyes filled with tears. “Celly, but it can’t be.” He raised a hoof of his own to hers and felt its rigidity, its substance. “It feels so real, but how can that be? My mind must be working hard to convince me this is real.”

Celestia simply offered a gentle smile. “This is real, how many times must I say it to convince you.”

“Sister Celeestia, is it really true, am I truly not hallucinating?”

“You are truly not dear brother, you’re home. You are finally home.” The guard and servant again looked at each other curiously upon hearing Celestia call the alicorn her little brother.

Dawn light let loose with his tears. “Celly!” He lunged forth and wrapped his hooves around her neck.

Celestia too was now openly crying and returned the hug, accompanied by her wings. “Dawn Light, my dearest little brother, you’ve finally come home!” She nuzzled him affectionately in her embrace.

“Celly, I missed you so much, please don’t let this be another illusion.”

Celestia closed her eyes as the tears streamed down her face. “It’s not little brother, I promise, you are really home, I missed you so much.”

The guard finally stepped forward. “Um, forgive me your majesty, but who is this young pony?”

Celestia kept her eyes as they were as she answered. “This is Luna and my long lost little brother, prince Dawn Light. He has been missing for far too long, but has come back now.”

“Prince? Are you sure your majesty?”

Celestia let out a chuckle. “I think I would know my own little brother. I can assure you this is him. Go and inform Luna, we will be here for a time.”

“Uh, yes princess.” The guard then left the two alone.

At this time the Mare servant stepped forward. “Princess, is there anything you wish me to do, or should I return to my duties?” The maid asked.

Celestia finally opened her eyes and looked back at the maid. “I think a nice picnic out here would be nice, I imagine Dawn Light might be hungry after being through whatever he had been through, could you inform the kitchen staff to have a meal delivered out here for myself, Luna, and our brother?”

“Of course princess.” The maid bowed and took her leave.

After a minute, Dawn Light pulled back a bit and looked up at Celestia. “I can’t believe it, it is you isn’t it. I’m finally home.”

“You are little brother, where have you been all this time? What happened to you so many years ago?” Celestia asked with a smile, tears still fresh in both their eyes.

Dawn light looked down trodden as he told her, “Nothingness, just pure nothingness. Nothing around me, no light, no ground, no sound, nothing. I was just floating around in utter nothingness for so long.” Fresh tears started rolling Down his cheeks again.

Princess Luna was also an alicorn, with a midnight blue coat, a flowing mane and tail of a darker shade of blue and sparkled with stardust. She wore a black necklace with a crescent moon on it, and a black crown with silver shoes. She soon arrived on the scene and saw Celestia holding the young alicorn. “Sister, what is going on, who is that……..is……..is that……” Luna Paused while she got a good look at him. Memories of the past before the darkness of Nightmare Moon flooded into her mind. “It can’t be, is that Dawn light?”

Dawn Light looked up and past Celestia and saw Luna. “Lulu, is that You?”

“Dawn Light, what…..how are you….?” She couldn’t believe her eyes. She simply didn’t know what to say about what she was seeing.

“LULU!” Dawn Light cried out as he rushed out of Celestia’s embrace and ran to Luna and wrapped his little hooves around her.

“Dawn Light, I don’t believe it.” Luna expressed as she smiled and returned the hug. She looked up at Celestia. “Sister, is it really him, has he finally come home?”

Celestia responded “It is sister, our little brother is back.” Celestia walked over and the three shared a group hug. They held it for what seemed the longest time.

“Sisters, I’m so glad to see you, I really, really, REALLY hope this is real, it just seems too real to be another illusion.” Dawn light expressed.

Within a short time the castle staff had set a picnic for the three, all the while not sure what to make of this third alicorn the princesses now referred to as “little brother”. After a while, they finally settled down and began to eat. Dawn Light sat next to Celestia during the picnic. Luna started up the conversation. “Dawn Light, I can’t believe that you are finally home, where have you been all this time?”

Dawn Light frowned as he again answered. “I don’t know, all I remember was absolute nothingness around me, that’s it. I was there for what seemed like forever.”

The two sisters frowned upon seeing his forlorn look, and Celestia gave a smile as she tried to cheer him up. “It’s all right little brother, it doesn’t matter now, what matters now is that you’re home, that we are together again, and we can worry about the details later. For now, let’s just enjoy our picnic in the garden. Perhaps We can even hold a big celebration to celebrate your return later.”

Dawn Light’s smile soon returned. “Really? I’d like that. When can we have it?”

“We will first need to make an announcement to the citizens of Equestria that you have returned, then we can start planning a party.” Luna offered.

Celestia suddenly didn’t like this idea, so she explained, “Luna, I don’t know if that is a good idea, when we announce this to the country, Dawn Light will be hounded by reporters endlessly, and so many questions will arise from him suddenly appearing out of nowhere. I think we should keep his reappearanc a secret, if only just for now, and keep it among the castle staff. Word of this cannot get out of the castle until we decide on how best to explain this to Equestria without our little brother being hounded like a rabbit by a thousand dogs.”

Dawn Light seemed concerned at this. Luna nodded her head. “I understand sister, we shall keep this a secret for now.”

Dawn Light tried to object. “Hold on, don’t I get any say in this, I missed you two terribly and I am glad to be home, but I am the prince, and I think our subjects have a right to know of my return. So why keep it a secret?”

Celestia began to explain, Not sure whether to smile or frown, “Dawn, that is very mature of you, but I don’t think you understand, you have been gone for a thousand years, things have changed a lot since your disappearance.”

Dawn’s eyes widened at this revelation. “A…..a thousand years, really?” His sisters simply nodded. “I see. Well, I suppose that makes some sense, I couldn’t tell how long I was in that void, but it certainly felt like eons”

“How did you end up in this “nothingness” in the first place?” Luna asked.

Dawn Light paused in thought before he looked at Luna and answered. “I’m not sure, I can’t remember much before I was sent there.” He closed an eye and rubbed a hoof on his head as he tried to remember. “All I can remember from right before that was that you two had gone off to find the elements of harmony to seal that god of chaos in stone. After that…….I….I don’t know, I just can’t remember what happened.”

Luna nuzzled Dawn Light. “It is all right little brother, you don’t have to worry about it anymore. Once we are finished here, we shall inform the staff here of your return.” With that much decided they continued their picnic, giving Luna and Celestia to tell Dawn Light of some things that had changed during his absence.

Later in the day, Celestia and Luna had called all the castle staff; the guards, butlers and maids, into the throne room. Dawn Light stood between his elder sisters as Celestia began. “My little ponies, today is a joyous day, I’m sure you are all wondering who his little pony with me and my sister is.” She then Stretched out a Wing over Dawn Light, clearly presenting his Yellow Frame against her White Wing, “This is Prince Dawn Light, our little brother, who disappeared a thousand years ago before Luna and I sealed Discord away in stone.” The ponies started murmuring to one another, and Dawn Light was feeling nervous at the attention and leaned into Luna’s leg.

Luna continued where Celestia left off, “I know this may be difficult to believe, but it is true, this is our little brother, and we expect you all to treat him with the same kindness and respect you do us. Also, for the time being and until otherwise informed, this must be kept within castle walls. And we ask that none of you speak a word of this to any pony outside the castle for now. There will not be any serious repercussions should you do so, as the public will indeed be informed, but we do ask that you try not to say anything. It would only further complicate matters. Is that understood?”

The ponies all sounded off in unison. “Yes your majesties!”

Celestia continued. “Good, now then, for various reasons, we would like one of my guards and one of Luna’s guards to stay with and guard Dawn Light at all times for when Luna and I cannot be there for him. Silver Spark, I hereby Call you to Stand Guard at the Side of Prince Dawn Light. Please present yourself!”

A unicorn guard clad in gold armor and having a white coat and a blue mane and tail emerged from the center of the crowd. “Yes your majesty. I will guard him with my life.”

Celestia responded with a smile. “I doubt that will be necessary but we always appreciate the Diligence of the Royal Guard.”

Luna then called out for one of her guards. “Night Eye, please come forth.”

Another unicorn emerged from the side of the crowd, this one bore silver armor and had a dark blue, almost black coat, with a black mane and tail. “Yes your highness, I shall do my best.”

Luna responded with a smile. “Thank you, you two will guard him and keep him safe. Such are your orders. We do not know how he disappeared so many years ago, but we do not want to take any chances.”

Dawn Light decided to put in his own thoughts. “Sisters, why can’t I just stay with you two? Why do you need to assign guards for me?”

Celestia and Luna both looked down at him as Celestia began to explain. “Dawn Light, as we said, we don’t know how you disappeared, whatever the cause was may still exist, and we don’t want to lose you again. Therefore you will be under watch at all times, we will have two other guards assigned to you and they will trade shifts in keeping an eye on you, we will try to be with you as much as we can, but we do have duties to perform, we cannot be with you always. Do you Understand?”

Dawn Light wrapped his forelegs around one of Celestia’s legs as he responded. “Please don’t leave me alone, I don’t want to be alone again, please sisters, please!”

Celestia looked to the crowd before continuing. “Other than the two guards we have called, you are all dismissed, please return to your duties.” The ponies all left and only the sisters, Dawn Light, and the two guards were left. Celestia looked back down at Dawn Light. She got down on the floor with Luna as they spoke with him. “Now Dawn Light, I understand you don’t want to be alone, but you won’t be, if you should ever need me or Luna for anything, and we aren’t around, just come and find us. Plus, you will always have guards with you so you won’t be alone.”

Luna tried to comfort Dawn Light as well, as he seemed like he was about to cry. “It is all right little brother, these two are some of our most trusted and talented guards, they will keep you safe and take care of you for when we cannot be there. We can stay with you today and take a break from our duties, but tomorrow, we will have to get back to them, and you can’t be with us the whole time.”

Dawn Light looked up at Luna with a few tears in his eyes. He simply nodded his head as he gave a sniffle. “*Sniff* All right, I’m just afraid to be alone again after being alone for so long, I don’t want to be alone again.”

Celestia responded. “We know little brother, we know. And you never will be again. We promise. Now come on, let’s give you a tour of the castle. A lot has changed since your disappearance. Oh, and we will have to have a cleaning crew sent up to your room, it hasn’t been touched since you disappeared.”

As they walked, Dawn Light looked up at Celestia. “My room is still here?”

Luna answered. “Of course, we kept it where it was with hopes that you would someday return.”

Celestia’s Curiosity had been bothering since earlier, So she asked, “Dawn Light, I am curious, why did you think that what you were seeing and hearing were just illusions?”

Dawn Light hung his head as he answered. “While I was in that terrible dark place, my mind kept playing tricks on me, making me think I had escaped that void and was back home, only for it all to just be an illusion made by my mind, eventually I got tired of it and just ignored them completely, I’m still not sure if this is all real, but if it is not, it is the most convincing illusion so far.”

Luna nuzzled Dawn Light. “I can assure you this is very real, you are home Dawn Light, and we are here for you.”

Dawn Light then asked a question of his own. “So I take it then that after I disappeared, you managed to find the elements of harmony and sealed Discord away?”

Celestia answered. “Indeed we did, but…..there is some good news you should hear about that.”

“What?”

Luna began to explain. “Well…” But before she could finish, there was a white flash and Discord appeared.

“Hello your majesties, good day to you.” Discord was a tall slender creature made up of all kinds of animals. His left leg was that of a dragon, his right was a pony, his body was covered in brown fur except for his tail which was like a snake with a white tuft of hair at the end. His left hand was a lion paw, his right was an eagle claw, from his neck up, his head was covered in grey fur. He had a snagle tooth, one dear antler, one goat antler, a black mane up the back of his neck, and yellow eyes with red pupils.

Dawn Light froze in place upon seeing him. His eyes widened and his pupils shrank to pinpoints while his jaw dropped and Memories came flooding back from a thousand Years ago.

"Why hello little prince."

“Discord? No, what are you doing here!?”

“Just came to cause a little chaos, I figured you deserve a little extended vacation.”

“NO, STAY AWAY FROM ME!”

“Farewell little prince.”

Celestia began. “Good Afternoon Discord, what….”

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!” Dawn Light screamed so loud it Shook the castle windows. “NO, NOT AGAIN, KEEP HIM AWAY FROM ME!” Dawn Light hid behind Celestia.

The two princesses looked at Dawn Light once their hearing returned. “What’s wrong?” Celestia asked.

“Well, that was a fine how do you do.” Discord responded as he used a pinkie to scrub the inside of his ear.

“Don’t let him get me, keep him away! Please!” Dawn Light was down on the ground covering his head with his hooves and visibly shaking with fear.

Luna and Celestia each knelt next to him as they tried to comfort him. “Dawn Light, what is wrong, what are you talking about?” Luna asked.

“He’s the one who sent me away, I remember now! Just after you two left, he showed up and sent me away to that horrible nightmare of nothingness. Please don’t let him send me away again!”

The two sisters glared at Discord in a way they hadn’t since his initial Release from stone as they each kept a hoof on Dawn Light’s back. Luna started up on Discord. “Discord, is this true? Are you the one who made our little brother disappear so long ago?”

Discord looked confused at the question. “Little brother, what are you……..wait.” He put his eagle claw to his chin in thought. “Oh Dear,” he said with a frown, “I remember now, after you two left to find the elements of harmony, I paid a visit to your castle and……” His mood continued to drop with his voice. “Sent……your little brother…..into a void……” By this time he was sitting on the ground, wringing his tail in his hands, he looked up and simply said, “Oops.”

Celestia continued her inquiry. “Discord, why didn’t you say anything?”

Discord crossed his arms as he answered. “Well it’s not like you two asked me before sealing me in stone, and by the time I was freed, I had completely forgotten about it. Don’t go blaming me for not bothering to ask me about it.”

Celestia gave a sigh. “*Sigh* We’ll discuss this later, for now, just go do something else please.”

Dawn Light lifted his head in surprise as he looked at Celestia. “WHAT? You’re just going to let him go, but I thought he was sealed in stone? What does he mean freed, why isn’t he imprisoned?” He asked desperately.

“We will talk about it later.”

“LATER, WHY LATER, he’s right there, just seal him away again! Why is he even free in the first place, what happened?”

Luna began to try and explain. “Dawn Light, Discord has been reformed, he is no longer a threat. He’s a good person now……for the most part.” She said the last line as she looked to the side.

“Good…..GOOD, you can’t be serious, he’s nothing but an evil, manipulative conniving snake, what if he’s just tricking you? There is NO WAY he is reformed!”

Celestia stomped a hoof to get Dawn’s attention. “That’s enough Dawn Light!” Dawn Light cringed. Celestia continued in a softer tone. “I promise you, he is not evil anymore, he has changed, and he certainly will not be sending you away again.” She turned to Discord with a glare. “Right!?”

Discord put a lion paw to his chest as he raised his eagle claw. “Perish the thought princess, I would never do such a thing anymore. As you have so attested, I have changed.”

Dawn Light just cringed more as he tried to hide under Luna. “Discord, perhaps it is best you go now, it will take some time to explain to him all that has transpired leading up to your reform.”

“I understand completely, if you need me, just give a call.” Discord then vanished in a flash.

Dawn Light finally came out from under Luna once Discord was gone. “Is he gone, is it safe?”

Celestia put a hoof on Dawn’s back. “It’s all right Dawn Light, you were never in any danger during this time. I promise he has changed, he won’t make you disappear like he did again. Come, let’s continue with the tour of the castle. Like I said, a lot has changed since your disappearance.” Dawn Light was still unsettled by his recent encounter, but he did feel secure with his sisters, so he continued on, his nervous attitude slowly disappearing into one of happiness for being with his sisters.

Author's Note:

I GOT AN EDITOR! Some one actually volunteered to edit this story for me and this first chapter is the result of his great work. I would like to extend my thanks to Ledd Mettle for volunteering for this in my AN section. He will be going through this fic and cleaning up the chapters a bit, making them sound prettier and such. I hope those of you who favorite are re reading this so you can enjoy it better once the editing is done with each chapter.