• Published 4th Nov 2013
  • 15,422 Views, 298 Comments

The Lost Prince Returns - Robobrony



The long lost little brother of the royal sisters has finally come home.

  • ...
20
 298
 15,422

Chapter 6: The Royal Crusader

Chapter 6: The Royal Crusader

Dawn Light’s carriage was coming to a landing in front of Twilight’s Library where she and Spike were awaiting his arrival with a smile. There were also two guards there, both with white coats and blue manes and tails and, of course, wearing gold armor as a symbol of their position. One was a unicorn and the other was an earth pony.

Once the carriage came to a landing, the door opened and Dawn Light bounded out. “Cousin Twilight!” Dawn happily cheered as he ran up to Twilight and wrapped his hooves around her in a hug.

Twilight returned the hug happily. “Hello Dawn Light, welcome to Ponyville.”

“Thanks, I can’t wait to get a look around. Hey there cousin Spike, good to see you again.” Dawn then moved over to Spike and gave him a hug.

Spike returned it as well. “Hey there Dawn Light.”

As the greeting went on, the unicorn guard took it upon himself to retrieve Dawn’s belongings from the carriage. He levitated them out and came up behind the young prince. “Sire, I have your luggage.”

Dawn turned to the guard. “Oh, thank you.”

Twilight interjected. “Just follow me sir, I’ll show you where to put it. Come on Dawn, I’ll show you to your room while you’re here.”

“Ok.” Dawn chirped.

Twilight, Spike and Dawn entered the house with the two guards behind them. Twilight led them to a door just passed the stair case and just below the door that lead to her room. “Right in here is where you’ll be staying Dawn, I hope its ok.”

Dawn Stepped into the room and looked around. There was a bed up against the wall and right below a window, a night stand next to it, a dresser up against the opposite wall and next to a bathroom.

“It’s not as big as my room at the castle, but that’s ok, I like it. As long as I get to be here, I don’t care.” He said with a smile towards Twilight.

The guard with Dawn’s suitcases entered the room. “Where would you like me to put these, your majesty?”

“Just set them on the bed thank you.”

The guard gave a bow and complied.

“Dawn, I have a surprise for you.” Twilight chimed in.

Dawn Light’s face grew into a big grin. “Really, what is it?”

“It’s at the town’s bakery called Sugarcube Corner.” Spike answered.

“Great, what is it?”

Twilight gave a light chuckle. “It’s a surprise Dawn Light, you’ll have to wait for us to get there to see it.”

“Well what are we waiting for, let’s go!” Dawn dashed for the front door before Twilight called out to him.

“Dawn Light wait! You don’t know the way!”

Dawn screeched to a halt just in front of the door. “Oh yeah, oops.” He gave a sheepish smile and let out a squee.

Twilight rolled her eyes with a smile. “Come on, let’s go.” Spike followed close behind as Twilight opened the door with her magic and led the way out. Dawn Light walked next to her with Spike on his other side and the two guards just behind.

Dawn’s eyes scanned the town as they walked. “Wow, look at these buildings, they’re so……different from what I remember.”

“What do you mean Dawn Light?” Spike asked.

“Well, when I was around, ponies lived in huts, these buildings are much bigger and seem better made.”

“Well it has been a thousand years since you were away Dawn Light.” Twilight pointed out.

Dawn’s mood dropped a little and hung his head a bit.

Twilight quickly picked up on this. “Uh, what I mean is….just forget about that, your home now and that’s all that matters right?” She spoke quickly to try and amend the situation.

Dawn Light let out a small smile. “Yeah, your right, I really need to try and put that behind me, it’s over now and I’m back with my sisters and cousin, plus new family.” His smile grew at the thought.

Upon their approach of Sugarcube Corner, Dawn Light was mesmerized by the appearance. “Wow, look at that.” Dawn quickly flew up a bit to get a better look. “This whole building is made out of candy.”

“I promise you it isn’t dawn, please come back down.” Twilight called.

Dawn Light landed back down in front of Twilight. “Don’t the owners ever worry some pony might try to eat their building? It doesn’t seem smart to make a house out of candy.”

Twilight and Spike laughed at Dawn’s comment. “It’s not really made of candy, it just looks like it.” Twilight pointed out. “Come on, let’s head inside.”

“Sure thing.”

The group came up to the door and Spike pushed it open. “After you your highness.” Spike gave a bow and a wave of his claw for Dawn to enter first.

Dawn gave a smile. “Spike, you don’t have to do that, we’re practically family.”

“Just go on in Dawn.” Twilight prodded.

Dawn just walked in past Spike. “Why is it dark in here?”

“SURPRISE!!”

“AAAAHHHH!” Dawn was so startled by the shout, it caused him to fall backwards onto his back and his crown to fall off his head.

“SURPRISE!” Pinkie called as her face invaded Dawn’s field of vision.

“P-pinkie, wh-what’s going on, why did you scare me like that?” Dawn stuttered.

“It’s a surprise party silly!” She informed with a huge grin.

“A….surprise party?” Twilight came up to Dawn and helped him up, then placed his crown back on his head.

“Pinkie loves to throw surprise parties. When I told her you were coming to visit, she insisted on throwing you a party to welcome you.” Twilight informed.

Dawn looked at Twilight curiously. “Really?”

“You bet!” Pinkie cut in. “Got a whole bunch of things set up for it, we got cake, sweets, games, and a WHOOOOOLE lot of fun!”

Dawn’s smile quickly returned. “Really? Wow, thanks Pinkie!”

“You’re welcome.”

Dawn then took notice of the ponies gathered. He saw that the other element bearers were present as well as a few of the town’s ponies. As soon as he did, he thought that since he was in puplic, he needed to show some sophistication. “Oh right, ahem.” He cleared his throat and stuck his head up. “Good day subjects, it is nice to meet you all.”

“Hello your majesty.” The ponies all said as they bowed except for the element bearers.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Um, Dawn Light, what are you doing?”

“What, I am a prince, I must be seen as one in public shouldn’t I, it is expected of me.”

Twilight let out a small laugh. “Heh heh, Dawn, you can act how you want, you don’t need to act all princely.”

“I don’t?”

“Nope.”

Dawn Light relaxed. “Oh good.” He sighed out.

Spike let out a chuckle.

Before he could do anything else, Mayor Mare, the mayor of Ponyville approached. “Hello your majesty, it is a pleasure to welcome you to Ponyville, I hope you will enjoy your stay here. I am Mayor Mare, the mayor of Ponyville.”

“A pleasure to meet you madam mayor, I just know I will. Especially since I’m staying with my new cousins.” Dawn’s eyes fell upon the desert table off to the side filled with cupcakes, cookies, cake slices and many drinks. “OOH, what are these?” Dawn asked as he rushed over, completely forgetting the mayor.

“Well, the young prince certainly seems rather……energetic.” Mayor Mare commented.

Twilight walked up to her. “He sure does, I think he’s just happy to see other places besides being stuck in the castle with nothing to do.”

“Hey Pinkie, what are these things?” Dawn asked with a grin.

Pinkie hopped over to inform him. “Those are cupcakes silly, haven’t you ever heard of a cupcake before?”

“No, there was nothing like this before, are they good?”

Pinkie gasped. “GASP! You’ve never had a cupcake?! OH MY GOSH, THAT’ST TERRIBLE! Well you go ahead and help yourself to all the treats you want. Those are cookies too by the way, and those are slices of cake.”

“Gosh, we never had such things before. I can’t wait to try them.” Dawn Light picked up the first cupcake he saw and was about to bite into it until Pinkie stopped him.

“WAIT, don’t eat it just yet.”

“Why not?”

“You have to remove the wrapping around it.”

“The wrapping, you mean this stuff that looks like paper?”

“Yep, that stuff isn’t edible, just take it off then eat.”

“Oh, ok.” Dawn Light did so and was finally free to eat his cupcake. After his first bite, he let it sit in so he could savor the taste. “MMmmm, itsh sho goof. Itsh shweet.” He finally swallowed. “Wow, that is amazing, I’ve never had anything so sweet before.” Dawn continued to scarf down his first sweet in ages. “Thanks Pinkie.” Dawn gave a big smile.

“You’re welcome.” Pinkie smiled back.

Dawn went on to enjoy the rest of the party, learning and playing the games he had never heard of before like pin the tail on the pony, bobbing for apples, and whack the piñata. After a while, the party wound down and it was time to go. “I wish to thank you all for a wonderful time, especially you Pinkie, I had a lot of fun, thank you for throwing this party for me.”

“I’m glad you like it princey.”

Dawn Light walked up to her and hugged her, then went to hug the other girls before leaving with Twilight and Spike. “I’ll see you all later.” He gave a wave as he left. “That was a lot of fun cousin Twilight, what’s next?”

“Well, Spike needs to head back to the library and take care of things.”

“Awe, you can’t stay with us?” Dawn asked Spike sadly.

“Don’t worry, we’ll see each other again, you’re staying with us after all remember.” Spike informed.

“Oh yeah, all right then, I’ll see you later.”

“See ya back at the library.” Spike waved as he headed back.

“So then where are we going Twilight?” Dawn asked with a smile.

“I thought it would be a good idea for you to meet other ponies around your age. We’re going to pay a visit to the school here.”

“A school, I guess that would be nice, sure.”

Ponyville’s school house soon came into view. It was a quaint little building with a steeple and a bell in it. It was close to midday so it was almost time for recess for the kids. “Ok Dawn Light, you wait here while I go inside and see if the teacher is ok with a visit.”

“Sure thing Twilight.” Dawn stood just outside the door with his two guards just behind him.
Twilight walked into the School house and was greeted by the teacher, miss Cheerilee. “Good day miss Cheerilee, I hope I’m not interrupting class.”

Cheerilee greeted with a smile. “Oh not at all princess Twilight. To what do I owe the honor of your visit?”

“Just Twilight is fine. I brought Dawn Light by for a visit, I thought he might like to meet the other kids here. Is that all right?”

“But of course, it is a pleasure and an honor to have royalty visit my school. Class, your attention please!” Cheerilee called out to her students. The kids all stopped their work and looked up. “Class, I have big news. As you see, princess Twilight has come to visit, and she has brought the new prince with her, I would like you all to give your undivided attention while we meet him.”

Twilight looked to the door. “Dawn Light, come on in!”

The door to the school opened and Dawn light walked in trying to look as dignified as he can with his head held up again and stepping like he was marching. The two guards took positions inside on both sides of the door.

Twilight rolled her eyes. As Dawn Light was walking, he accidently tripped and fell. “Whoa!” His crown fell askew, covering his right eye. He quickly stood up and readjusted his crown. A few of the kids laughed.

Cheerilee called out to get their attention. “Class, that was not funny, please remember to show respect.”

Dawn raised a hoof and waved it. “it’s quite all right miss, I do not mind.” He stood before the class and looked them over. “good day every pony, I am prince Dawn Light, I am pleased to be here.”

“Hello your majesty.” The class said in unison.

“Wow silver spoon, I can’t believe the new prince is in our school.” A young filly whispered to her grey coated filly friend.

“I know right Diamond Tiara, and he looks so cute too.” Silver Spoon whispered back.

“All right class, since its recess time, we can all head outside and you can all have a chance to meet with the prince if that is all right with him.” Cheerilee called out.

“Its fine with me madam Cheerilee. I would love to meet with the little ponies.”

Once all the kids rushed out, Twilight got Dawn’s attention. “Dawn, did you forget that you don’t have to act like that, just be yourself.”

“Really? Good, cause acting royal can be tiring. I guess my sisters royal behavior from before rubbed off on me. I was also always taught to act as such around the citizens.”

“Well times have changed. You just need to try and get used to it.”

“I guess so.” Dawn Light then approached Cheerilee. “Thanks for letting me visit miss Cheerilee.”

Cheerilee gave a bow. “A pleasure to have you, your highness.”

Dawn Light then headed for the door the kids went out to the playground area with Twilight and the two guards behind. Once outside, Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon were the first to address him. “Greetings your majesty, its an honor to meet you.” Diamond Started.

“We’re so honored you could come visit our school.” Silver Spoon added.

Off in the distance at a picnic table, three little fillies sat together watching the scene. “Puh, look at those three, figures they’d be the first to swarm all over him.” An orange coated filly Pegasus commented.

“Tell me about it Scootaloo, Those two are such suck ups.” A white coated unicorn filly agreed.

“I have ta agree with ya there Sweetie Belle. Say ya’ll, I just had an idea, you see how he don’t have a cutie mark?” A yellow coated filly pointed out.

“What about it Applebloom?” Scootaloo asked.

“Why don’t we see if he wants to be a cutie mark crusader like us?” Applebloom suggested.

“Yeah right, he’s royalty, why would he want to join a club with ponies like us?” Sweetie Belle asked.

“It couldn’t hurt to try, come on ya’ll.” Applebloom got up and started over to the young prince.
Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle just shrugged and followed her over.

“Excuse me yer highness, could we speak with you?” Applebloom asked on her approach.

Before Dawn Light could answer, Diamond Tiara answered for him. “Why would he want to talk to you blank flanks? He’s royalty, I doubt he’d want to waste his time with you three losers.”

“Yeah, so why don’t you just go and be useless somewhere else.” Silver Spoon spat.

“Hey, we are not losers!” Scootaloo shot back.

“Yeah, and we’re not worthless either.” Sweetie Belle added in.

“Oh please, of course you are, your nothing but a bunch of blank flanks.” Diamond shot back and laughed with her friend.

Dawn Light decided to step in. “Excuse me, did you two just use blank flank as an insult because of their lack of a cutie mark?" Dawn was frowning at Diamond and Silver.

The two fillies became unsure of what was now going on. Diamond answered carefully. “Um, of course, they don’t have cutie marks so their just a bunch of losers who aren’t special.”

Dawn then glared at them. “Oh really, well in case you hadn’t noticed.” Dawn turned to his side so the little ponies could see his flank. “I’m a blank flank too, so I guess that means I’m a worthless loser too doesn’t it?”

Diamond and Silver were starting to sweat nervously. “Of course not your majesty, you’re…..different because you’re a prince. So you aren’t a loser.” Offered Silver Spoon.

“Yeah, what she said.” Diamond tried to agree.

“Sorry but I don’t buy it, if you use blank flank as an insult, then you might as well be insulting me as well. I should have you two thrown in the dungeon for this.”

“WHAT!?” The two little fillies cried out in fear. “B-b-but…..you can’t do that!” Diamond managed to get out.

“Of course I can, I’m the prince after all.”

The other three smiled and snickered at the thought.

Twilight came up to him with worry. “Dawn Light, what are you doing?”

Dawn Light whispered into Twilight’s ear. “Don’t worry Twilight, I’m not really going to throw them in the dungeon. Trust me.” He gave Twilight a wink.

Twilight was still unsure but she let him continue. “Now then, if you two don’t want me to throw you in a dungeon, I suggest you apologize to these three fillies at once.”

The two upper crust fillies gulped nervously. They turned to the three ponies they insulted. Diamond Tiara started the apology. “We’re sorry for calling you blank flanks, losers and worthless.”

“Same here, please forgive us.” Silver Spoon added.

“Well…..I don’t know, you promise not to call us names anymore?” Scootaloo asked.

“Pfft, as if.” Diamond shot out.

Dawn Light spoke up. “AHEM, you know, if you do, they are more than welcome to send me a message saying that you two are giving them trouble. I will then be forced to take action and have you thrown in the dungeon.”

“But……but…..they….” Diamond tried to get out only to be shut up by a glare from the young prince. “Fine, we promise not to call you three names anymore.”

“Promise.” Silver Spoon added.

Dawn Light gave a smile. “Very good, now be gone with you two.” He waved a hoof.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon gave a bow and backed away.

Once they were gone, the three fillies started up. “WOW, that was so cool of you to stand up for us like that. Thank you your majesty.” Sweetie Belle cheered, with a bow.

“No pony’s ever stood up for us like that, thank you very much yer highness.” Applebloom added in with a bow.

“Well, maybe because no pony was a prince.” Dawn said.

“You have no idea how much trouble those two give us every day. You may have just helped us deal with them once and for all. How can we ever repay you?” Scootaloo asked.

“I’m just glad to help, I don’t like seeing others get picked on.”

Twilight gave a smile. “Wow Dawn Light, you handled that little situation well.”

“Thanks Twilight, I was really just making it up as I go along.”

“Um, sire, I know this will probably be a silly question, but……” Applebloom started shyly.

“Yes, what is it?” Dawn said with a smile

Sweetie Belle continued for Applebloom. “ We were wondering if maybe you’d like to join our club, the cutie mark crusaders.”

Scootaloo continued. “Were a club dedicated to trying new things to earn our cutie marks. We were wondering if you’d like to join, you know, since you don’t have a cutie mark and all.”

Dawn looked in thought. “I don’t know, it would be hard for me to be part of a club here when I live at the castle with my sisters.”

“Awwwe.” The three whined.

“However, I suppose I could make arrangements every once in a while for you three to come. Would that be all right Twilight?” Dawn turned to Twilgiht.

“Well, I suppose it would be up to your sisters, but I don’t see why they would refuse.”

“Really, you’d let us come to the castle?!” Sweetie asked with a smile.

“Sure, so with that, I would love to be a part of your club.”

“All right, this is great!” Applebloom cheered. “We got a prince in our club. I’m Applebloom by the way.”

“And I’m Sweetie Belle.”

“Names Scootaloo. Welcome to the cutie mark crusaders your highness.”

Dawn Light gave them a big smile. “Just Dawn Light is fine. No need for formalities.”

“All right then, think you could come by our club house later so we can perform the initiation?” Applebloom asked. “Its at ma sisters farm. You can meet us there at Sweet Apple Acres.”

“I’d love to, I can go can’t I Twilight?”

“Sure, Sweet Apple Acres is Applejack’s farm after all.”

“Applejack’s?” Dawn cocked an eyebrow. “So wait, are you related to Applejack?”

“Yep, she’s ma big sis, you know her?”

“I sure do, I got to meet her before. Pinkie Pie had a big party to welcome me to town and Applejack was there.

“This is going to be so cool, I can’t wait to start our crusading with a prince.” Scootaloo cheered.

“I’ve never been part of a club before, I just know I’m going to have fun. I can’t wait!” Dawn Light cheered.

Twilight gave a smile. “Looks like you’ve managed to make some new friends already Dawn Light. Your sisters are going to be happy about this.”

“They sure are, I never had friends my age before. I’m so excited! I’m so glad my sisters let me come here.”

Author's Note:

OK All, I need a little help here. At some point, I would like Dawn Light to earn a cutie mark but I'm having trouble coming up with what it should be and how he could go about earning it. I would like suggestions please and thank you. it won't be the main focus of the story though.