• Published 30th Oct 2013
  • 7,435 Views, 376 Comments

Adventures In Babysitting - TheNewYorkBrony



Cadence has a crush on Shining Armour. Not only that, but she needs some extra cash. What better way to earn money and get close to her crush than watching his kid sister?

  • ...
21
 376
 7,435

Adventure #5: New Friends And New Feelings

The rain had let up, and just when it did, it came right back again. Cadence’s grip on the steering wheel tightened every time Shining Armour came back from a block saying no one there had seen Twilight. They had set out almost an hour ago, checking all the girl's favorite places. The library, the park, even the ice cream shop. She wasn’t anywhere they could think of.

“Are your parents looking for her too?” Cadence asked, as she got back in the car after another unsuccessful search for the younger girl.

“Of course. My dad’s staying at the house to see if she’ll come home by herself, and my moms out looking through the neighbourhoods too.” Shining Armour responded, rubbing his gloved hands together to generate heat.

Cadence nodded as she took off down the street. The rain was coming down pretty hard and it was really cold outside. She hoped Twilight found a way to stay out of the rain.


“This is bull!” Twilight groaned, kicking her rain boot in a puddle causing it to splash dirty water into it. “Oh for Pete’s sa-”

“Um, excuse me?”

Twilight looked up to see a girl about her age looking at her timidly. She was petite and fragile looking. Almost like if the wind blew her hard enough it would blow her away. She has willowy pink hair that turned a purple hue under her blue clear umbrella and turquoise eyes that sparkled in the mist that floated around them.

“Yeah?” Twilight demanded.

“M-My name’s Fluttershy.” The girl responded, twirling a strand of her her hair. “I-I’m in Ms. Cheerilee’s class with you.”

“Fluttershy...Fluttershy....” Twilight tased the name on her tongue. When it finially came to her, she snapped her fingers. “Ooooh you’re the quiet kid that always hangs out with Rainbow Crash!”

“Um, it’s Dash.”

“I know what I said.”

“Anyway, I was in my house watching tv when I saw you out here. Are you lost?” Fluttershy asked with a tilt of her head.

“No, I’m out here because I genuinely want to catch a cold.” Twilight snarled. She absolutely hated when people stated the obvious.

“W-What?!”

“Sarcasm, Flutters. If you’re going to hang around me, you’re going to have to get used to it.” Twilight responded, patting her back. Fluttershy nodded as if she was taking down a mental note. “But to answer your question, yes, I got lo- discombobulated, running from that troglodyte you call a best friend.”

Fluttershy gave her confused glance. “A troglo- A trole-”

Twilight held up a hand to stop her suffering. “Just, don't try to repeat it. It is a word that you obviously haven’t learned yet.”

“Okay.” The meek girl gave her a sheepish nod. “So, where are your parents?” Fluttershy asked after a moment. She barely noticed, but Twilight had inched her way under the umbrella.

Sniffling from the cold air, Twilight replied, “Probably out looking for me.” She shrugged. Shining was probably out looking for her too. Maybe Cadence was too....but she knew better than to get her hopes up like that. It was her fault that Cadence quit, after all. Now Twilight was sniffling for a different reason.

Fluttershy picked up on her mood change and gave her a concerned look. “Oh my, are you alright, Twilight?” Her eyebrows scrunched up in worry, those same adorable turquoise eyes shining warily.

Twilight wiped her eyes with her already wet hoodie sleeve. “No. I’m an idiot.” She mumbled. She turned back to face the streetlight in front of them, then focused her attention on the burgundy sedan underneath it. Her reflection stared back at her, her face stained with a mix of dried and fresh tears. Even with her hood on, the rain had seeped through, her hair resting around her neck in wet, tangled lumps. She looked like a tired, sad, mess.

“Huh? Why are you an idiot?” Fluttershy asked, turning to her to see her wipe another tear. Fluttershy wasn’t very good at comforting people, but when someone needed it, she was always willing to help. Even if she couldn’t relate to the problem.

“Because. I drove away the only person I had that was close to, no she was, my older sister. She was my babysitter, the best babysitter I’ve ever had and me, my stupid, selfish, inconsiderate self had to just go and drive her away.” Twilight explained, her lip trembling. She gave Fluttershy a sorrowful look. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to dump my Lifetime movie problems on you.”

Fluttershy smiled. “Nah. It’s okay. Everyone makes mistakes. But my Mommy says what’s important though, it that you go back and fix them. Especially when you hurt someone else’s feelings.” She gave Twilight a warm, caring look. “You’re pretty smart, Twilight. Probably even smarter than most grownups.” She put a finger to Twilight’s forehead. “You’ve got a brain. Use it. Fix the bad thing that you did so everything can be good again.”

Twilight stared at Fluttershy in awe, before turning away from the taller girl. “Fix what I did wrong, huh? Okay. I’ll do that.” She said to herself. Then she turned back to Fluttershy. “You know what Flutters?” She asked as her hand snaked out from her hoodie pocket.

“Hmm?” Fluttershy hummed, as she twirled the umbrella in her other hand.

Twilight’s fingers interlocked with hers. Fluttershy gave her a surprised look, and Twilight smiled.

“You just might be smarter than me.”


As Cadence turned a corner, she saw something weird. “Are those two little girls just standing out in the rain?” She asked more to herself than Shining Armour. Shining Armour had been dozing off but when he had heard her say that, he jumped up to look out the window.

Sure enough there was two little girls standing out in the rain. And even better, one of them looked like Twilight. “I think, I think one of them is Twily!” He shouted, laughing “I think that’s her!”

“What?! Are you serious?!” Cadence said just as loud as him. She stopped the car in the middle of the street (even though she really wasnt supposed to but she didn’t care) and got out, running towards the pair.

“Twilight!” She yelled. “Twilight! It’s me! Cadence!”

“Cadence?” Twilight asked unsurely, her ears perking up.

She leaned forward to see the older girl running towards her. Fluttershy gave her a smile and a nudge. “Go fix your problem.”

“Cadence!” Twilight yelled, breaking into a sprint. They met each other halfway, Twilight jumping into her welcoming arms. Twilight wrapped her own arms around her, starting to cry again. “I’m sorry, I’m so sorry, I was so stupid, I don’t ever want to lose you again.” She sobbed.

“It’s okay, Twilight. It’s okay, shhh.” Cadence cooed, rubbing her back affectionately. As Twilight’s whimpers quieted, she looked back up at Cadence with a bleary eyed look. “Let’s just get you home, okay?” The older girl told her softly. Twilight nodded, leaning her head on Cadence’s shoulder. The last thing she saw before she drifted off to sleep was a pair of smiling turquoise eyes, and then the disappearance of a blue, clear umbrella.


Twilight woke up with a start, only to realize she was in her room on her bed. She relaxed a little, but what really surprised her was that she was not alone. Cadence was curled up beside her, with her arm draped around her waist. Just like the first night. Twilight smiled before carefully and quietly making her way out of her bed and out into the hallway, tip toeing downstairs to see her brother on the couch watching TV.

“Hey squirt.” He greeted.

“No squirt. Only Cadence is allowed to call me that.” She responded, plopping down next to him. She gave him a serious look, causing him to laugh.

“Alright, I see how it is.” He jokingly inferred, turning away from her.

Twilight gave him a confused look.“How what is?”

“You like Cadence better than me.” He taunted. “No, no, don’t spare my feelings. I knew this day would come.” He jokingly fought back tears, clutching at his chest with his fist as if his heart was hurting.

“What in God’s name are you talking about?!” Twilight demanded. “You’re my B.B.B.F.F. no one can replace you. And besides, she’s my B.S.B.S.”

“Your what now?” Shining asked, looking at Twilight incredulously. He was really hoping she didn't know what B.S. really stood for. Though with her as smart as she was, he doubted it.

“Big Sister, Baby Sitter.” Twilight responded. “Why’d you ask?”

“Er, no reason. But uh, you do know babysitter is one word, right?” Shining asked, smiling.

“I know. I just don’t care.” Twilight shrugged. Part of being smart was she could do what she wanted to the English language. Her classmates already murdered it. So why can't she have a little fun with grammar?

Shining chuckled. “You know, one day you’re gonna care. And then people doing that is going to drive you insane.” He ruffled her long hair. The younger girl huffed, folding her arms. She absolutely hated when he did that, and he knew it. Which was all the more reason why he did it.

“I love you guys.” Twilight absentmindedly says after a pleasant pause. “As much as I don’t show it, I do.”

“Ya really mean it?” Shining started to fake cry again.

Twilight frowned. “Oh Jesus Christ.” she slid off the couch to go back upstairs. “Talk to me when you get your brain back!” She called from the top of the steps.

“I have feelings too, ya know!” Shining called back. She didn’t respond, so he just relaxed back into the couch. Smiling to himself, he thought about how he got to spend the whole day with Cadence. And about the spark they both felt when their hands touched.

He couldn’t help it. Now that he was spending time with her, he was noticing that there was something about her that just...made him smile. And made him feel like he wasn’t alone. He liked that feeling. A lot. He was starting to think that maybe he was developing a crush on her.

Shining smirked. Maybe he could take a few days off of work to help Cadence with Twilight....

Author's Note:

this is short. for a reason! im writing a really huge christmas chapter and its gonna be awesome! Because you will not expect what will happen in it! Trust me! It will be up on either Christmas Eve, Day, or the day before Christmas eve. Well, I gotta go! Tell me what you guys think! Later! :D