• Published 30th Oct 2013
  • 7,435 Views, 376 Comments

Adventures In Babysitting - TheNewYorkBrony



Cadence has a crush on Shining Armour. Not only that, but she needs some extra cash. What better way to earn money and get close to her crush than watching his kid sister?

  • ...
21
 376
 7,435

Adventure #10: The Big Night

"Mommy." Twilight whined from her perch on the kitchen island. Her mother, who was on the phone, didn't respond. "Mommy! " she shouted, stopping her foot.

She had a strange sense of deja vu, in which every time she tried to grab one of her parent's attentions she always had to resort to acting like well, a child. In a way she felt like she was going backwards.

"What is it, dear?" Her mother asked through her teeth, her patience growing thin. She was on the phone with the doctor.

"You have to find me a new babysitter remember? Shiny and Cadence are going to the prom and you and daddy have to go out of town tonight!" Twilight reminded her, her annoyance at a matched level.

"Right. I'll just ask Granny Smith to watch you for the night. You can even have a sleepover with Applejack." Her mother told her, ruffling her hair.

Twilight's face went sour. She loved Applejack as a friend, but the girl was boring. Her and her family were as simple as they come. She might have been stereotyping a bit, but it was the truth. Besides being exceptionally smart, (even though AJ was nine in the second grade. She didn't get left back, just started school late) they really didn't have much in common. Maybe she could ask to invite Fluttershy to liven things up.

Sighing, Twilight went into the living room to get the other cordless phone. She deftly dialed Fluttershy's number and waited for her to pick up.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Flutters. Listen, I gotta spend the night at AJ's. Wanna make it a real sleepover?" Twilight offered. Which wasn't really an offer because once Twilight asked something of Fluttershy it wound up happening anyway whether she liked it or not. (She wouldn't even dare try that with Applejack. The girl towered over her.)

“Oh, uh, I don’t know...I kind of already have plans...” The meek girl on the other line whispered.

“What?! With who?!” Twilight barked, slamming her hand down on the counter.

“W-With Rainbow Dash. She wanted to have a sleepover so that she could spend more time with me since I hang out with you more than her now.” Fluttershy explained on the verge of tears. “I-I’m sorry, if I’d had known-”

Twilight pinched the bridge of her nose. “There’s no need to cry, Fluttershy. It’s alright I guess. It’s my fault for demanding you come in the first place. Have fun, I guess.”

“O-Okay.” And with that, the phone was hung up.

Twilight sighed, then dialed Applejack’s number.

“Howdy.”

“Sup.” Twilight greeted back. “Hey, listen, my mom wants to use your grandmother as a last minute babysitter. And everyone’s kinda gonna be gone till tomorrow so is it okay if I crash with you?”

Applejack hummed. “Eh, sure. Why not? Ah could always use help in takin’ care of Bloom since Mac’s goin’ to prom. But Ah gotta warn ya, my cousin from the midwest is visitin’ and she’s well....” Applejack trailed.

“She’s what?” Twilight repeated.

“She’s hyper.” Applejack responded, after trying to find the write word. “And annoyin’. But she’ll grow on ya. Alright, tell yer parents ya got the okay. Ah’ll be waitin’ for ya.”

Click.

Twilight slide off the kitchen island and went upstairs to pack herself an overnight bag. This was going to be a long night.


“Holy crap, just pick one!” Twilight shouted, laying herself out on the chair in the changing room. “I can’t take this anymore! If I see one more pastel dress, I’m going to puke!”

Cadence rolled her eyes. “You’re the one who wanted to come with me, Squirt.” She responded, adjusting the top half of the purple party dress she was trying on.

“Because you bribed me with the promise of McDonald’s and ice cream! You know, I’m starting to think the only reason you brought me here is because you wanted someone to constantly tell you how pretty you looked!” Twilight added accusedly stomping her foot.

“Ya caught me.” Cadence said, turning around to playfully stick her tongue at the younger girl. “Now come help me zip out of this thing.”

Twilight rifled through Cadence’s bag and pulled out a twenty dollar bill. “Nope. I’m going to get me some burgers. You can ask the lady who’s working to do that.” She grinned devilishly and bolted out the dressing room.

“Hey!” Cadence called futilely after her. There was no way she was running after her in a dress like this. Sighing, Cadence reached behind herself and pulled the zipper halfway down before stepping out of it. She put the dress she had been wearing back on its hanger and walked out the dressing room, shocked to see Twilight standing there.

“I may be a genius, but I’m still a child.” Twilight muttered begrudgingly. She handed the twenty back to Cadence. “I just wanted to make you hurry up. I’m starving.”

Cadence rolled her eyes. “Yeah, yeah.” She said, ruffling Twilight’s hair. “C’mon. I’ll play for this and then we can go grab a burger from the food court.”

“Awesome!” Twilight yelled, pumping her fist into the air. “I want a milkshake too!”

“You know your parents don’t want you having all that sugar. How about a root beer float instead?” Cadence offered.

“Yeah!”

Cadence smiled. Sometimes Twilight just couldn’t help being a kid.


They had arrived at the food court a few minutes ago. Cadence got Twilight a happy meal (with the insistence of Twilight, because she just had to have the My Pretty Pony Rainbow Force figure that came with it) And Cadence got a simple cheeseburger with fries. They sat at the edge of the food court people watching until Twilight spoke up.

“So what’s the plan for tonight? You guys gonna rent a hotel room or something?” Twilight asked eagerly as she bit into her burger that came with her Happy Meal.

Cadence’s eyes went wide and she started to choke on her soda, going into a coughing fit. “W-What?!” She barked. How does a seven year old even know about such a thing?! But then she remembered what seven year old she was talking too, and nearly kicked herself for not expecting that one.

“You know, statistically this is when high school couples have their first time. Do you plan on doing the do with my brother?” Twilight asked her, eyebrow arched.

Cadence blushed furiously. “I-I don’t feel comfortable talking about this topic.” She stuttered.

Twilight rolled her eyes. “Fine. Fine. Oh, I’m staying over at Applejack’s tonight since you can’t watch me.” Twilight told her nonchalantly, popping a fry into her mouth. She had been contemplating whether or not it was a good idea, but seeing how it was either that or staying at Fluttershy’s with Rainbow in such a close proximity, her options were limited.

“Oh really? So, are you excited or what?” Cadence responded, taking a sip of her soda, completely relieved that the younger girl had decided to change the subject. The idea of her and Shining Armour having sex was not something she wanted to think about just yet, let alone discuss with his seven year old sister.

“I guess, yeah. AJ said something about her cousin coming over so I guess it won’t be totally boring.” Twilight said, fiddling with her Princess Nightfall toy. Suddenly her expression became serious. “To be honest I’m really worried about Shining.”

“Why?” Cadence asked, her eyebrows furrowing.

“Well,” Twilight started, “We both know my brothers a doofus. He’s also the greatest guy I know, but he’s a nerd regardless. And he would never tell you this, but he gets bullied in school a lot.” She warily took a sip of her soda.

“Bullied?” Cadence repeated more to herself than Twilight. Then she suddenly remembered the first time they met, how jumpy and nervous he was, and how he kept looking over her shoulder as if he didn’t want someone to see him with her. She remembered when she saw him that afternoon and how his hair and entire shirt was wet for no apparent reason and when she asked about it, he got defensive. She remembered all the times his bike mysteriously ended up with slashed tires.

And then it made sense. His constant worrying of not being good enough for her, his low self esteem. It all made sense. And suddenly she felt bad for him. The fact that he kept all this hidden from her made her wonder just how much she knew about Shining.

Twilight glared at her. “He’s a big boy. You don’t need to start babying him. Shiny can handle himself, alright?” The young girl’s warning tone faltered. “Just...keep an eye out for him tonight, okay? He just wants to fit in and ever since you guys started dating he’s been a lot happier. You mean the world to him. And I hate to say this, but probably more than I do.”

Cadence laughed a little, pinching Twilight’s cheek. “You know, for a kid who doesn’t seem to care about anyone, you care a lot.” She teased.

Twilight swatted her hand away, blushing. “This is a one time thing. He’s my brother. He looks out for me so I gotta look out for him.” She smiled despite herself. “If you mess this up I’ll do everything in my power to destroy your relationship with him.” She threatened monotonously.

“Oooh! And we were so close to actually having a moment!” Cadence teased as Twilight threw a fry at her.


Shining Armour stood uncomfortably in front of a full length mirror. Twilight sat behind him on his bed, flipping through one of his comic books. He looked himself over once again, and younger sister groaned.

“I’m pretty sure Cadence will think you look fine, you insecure dork.” Twilight told him, not even looking up from what she was reading. “Besides who you got to impress besides her? Ya know, your girlfriend?”

Shining sighed. “No one.”

Twilight sighed herself, shaking her head. “Look, I know you’re worried that those football guys are gonna say something to you. Especially since a doofus like you got a hold of a girl like Cadence.”

Shining snorted. “Where are you going with this?”

“What I’m saying is,” Twilight started to explain hopping off the bed. “Is that you don’t worry about anyone else but Cadence.” She reached up on her tippy toes to adjust his tie. “I know you can do it because it’s such a simple task.” She smiled sweetly, smacking the side of his cheek.

Shining rolled his eyes as their parents called them down to take a few pictures. Cadence was waiting at the bottom of the steps in a short pink party dress.

“What’s with you and the color pink?” Twilight sneared.

“What’s with you and the color purple?” Cadence snarked back, an eyebrow arched.

“If I say touche will you bring me back one of those glow stick thingys?”

“Sure, squirt.” Cadence promised, pinching her cheek.

“You do that one more time, I’m going to have no choice but to kill you.”

“Kinda hard to take from a girl who started squealing when she saw a puppy on the ride home today.”

“Forget you.”

Cadence smirked. “What? Couldn’t say the real thing?”

“I have permanent markers and I’m not afraid to use them.”

Cadence took that as a sign to back down. “Alright, alright.” She surrendered with a chuckle. She turned to her date. “Wow Shining, you look snazzy.” He was wearing a black suit with a pink rose pinned to it. His hair was styled too.

Shining didn’t responded.

“Yo! Earth to space commander!” Twilight yelled, waving her hand in his face. Nothing. “Yeah, we lost him. Nice going Cadence.” Twilight snorted.

Cadence folded her arms defensively. “Hey it’s not my fault everytime he gets around me he acts like he’s never seen a girl before!”

“He hasn’t.”

“Oh.”

Mr. and Mrs. Sparkle came back into the foyer with the camera after going to look for it in the linen closet.

“Alright kids, time for pictures!” Mrs. Sparkle announced.

“If Shining can stop staring at Cadence’s boobs!” Twilight shouted in his ear.

Cadence smacked the back of her head blushing madly. Shining said nothing, just turned a bright red.


“And that’s how I got grounded for two weeks.” Twilight finished, biting into an apple fritter. After her outburst, Mr. and Mrs. Sparkle gave Twilight a strong talking to that ended up with her on punishment. No TV for two weeks. She knew it wasn’t going to last though, because they were barely in the house anymore, and couldn’t really keep an eye on her like they used to.

Applejack smacked her forehead. “Why do ya always put yerself in situations like this?” She groaned. She knew Twilight was a smart girl. She just had no self control. That was what mostly got her in trouble. In and out of school.

“At least I didn’t fall off the roof this time.” The younger girl grumbled in response. “And besides, they’ll probably forget about it once they hear what Shiny and Cadence are gonna do.”

“What’d ya mean? They don’t seem like the type ta be causin no trouble.” Applejack gave her a confused look. “Unless you’re implyin’ somethin’ else.”

“Well...it’s prom night. They’re teenagers. Haven’t you seen what happens in the movies?” Twilight told her, making hand gestures for the other girl to get what she was saying.

“If you’re implyin’ that your brother is smooth enough to get Cadence to frick frack, you’ve got another thing comin’.” Applejack deadpanned. “You know as well as I do your brother doesn’t have a smooth bone in his body.”

“Actually-”

“Ah meant figuratively, ya nerd.”

Twilight snorted as the doorbell rang. “That your cousin?” She asked as Applejack got up to answer it.

“Could be. Stay here and keep an eye on Bloom for me? She just learned how to walk and she’s been getting into everythin’.” Applejack said before striding up to the front door. She opened it to find her cousin bouncing up and down in excitement, her wild curls flying everywhere.

“Hiya cuz!” She bubbled.

Applejack smiled warmly at her. “Hey, Pinkie.”

The older girl lead her cousin into the living room where Twilight sat with the baby in her lap. “Twi, this is my cousin, Pinkie. Pinkie, Twilight. She’s staying with us for the summer.” Applejack introduced, waving a hand back and forth between the two of them.

“Sup.” Twilight greeted.

“Hiya! I’m Pinkie Pie! I just turn six! Did you know Applejack’s my cousin?!” Pinkie babbled happily.

“She just basically repeated everything you just said except for the ‘I’m six’ part.” Twilight whispered astoundedly. “Are you sure she got enough oxygen in the womb?”

Applejack sat down next to her and whispered back, “We’re not really sure. Jus, let ‘er be. She tends to not make sense when she’s all fired up like that. She’ll calm down in about an hour.”

“An hour?!” Twilight repeated loudly, causing the baby to start to cry. Suddenly she wished she hadn’t convinced Shining and Cadence to go to the prom.


Shining adjusted his tie for the thousandth time. It was obvious that he was nervous, and he knew Cadence could tell from all the worried looks she kept giving him on the ride to the school. “I’m fine.” He mumbled, though he knew he wasn’t at all. He knew that those guys would be waiting for him the minute he stepped through that gym door. And he definitely didn’t want Cadence fighting his battles, nor did he want her to be involved at all. But...what if she realized that he really wasn’t worth it and went over to one of them? What if she dumped him in front of everyone?

He looked over to her as she stared out the limo window. He knew he was being paranoid. Cadence wasn’t like that. She wasn’t some superficial popular girl who used people. She was sweet, and kind, and down to earth. He relaxed a little as they pulled up to the school. He would be fine. As long as Cadence was by his side, everything would be alright.

Though he soon regretted that thought as he walked through the door and found the group of boys he was worrying about standing in a corner by the door. And even though he tried his hardest not to look in their direction, he somehow caught their attention, and they sauntered over towards the couple. Shining’s heart started racing, and he quietly worked his jaw.

“Hey, if it isn’t our good friend Shiny,” The leader, the captain of the football team sneered. The nickname sounded stale and condescending coming out of his mouth. His goons chuckled. “And I see you’ve brought a date along.” He added, giving Cadence a lascivious once over.

Shining instinctively pulled Cadence behind him. “She’s my girlfriend.” He said evenly. He was surprised at how stern and protective he sounded. Cadence must have been too, because she was giving him a questioning look.

“Oh, so she’s your girlfriend? Cadence Mi Amore Cadenza decided to come to prom with a charity case? That’s rich.” The older boy grabbed up Shining by his suit jacket. “I’d be careful there, buddy boy. We wouldn’t want the others to know you’re lying.”

Shining tried to calm his pulse while even-temperedly looking around the room. No one was paying attention to them. Like always. Turning back to his assaulter, he said, “I’m not lying. You can ask her yourself.”

The older boy put him down as Shining dusted himself off.

Cadence had never seen him act so aloof before. Usually he had a goofy smile on his face but right now he looked absolutely pissed. Which is why she felt bad for finding him really attractive in that moment. The leader turned to her with a shit eating grin. Cadence took an involuntary step back but stood her ground.

“Is it true? Are you really going out with this loser?” He asked, deliberately staring at her chest.

“Yeah. You got a problem with it?” She answered back with a bite. She heard the boys behind him whistle. It made her uncomfortable, but she dared not to let them know that. She could feel Shining watching her as she stared the taller boy down. She wasn’t going to let them win. She wasn’t going to let them turn the one night that Shining Armour was supposed to be happy in to a night he’d regret. She promised Twilight she would protect him, and she wasn’t about to break that promise. Even if Shining didn’t know that.

“Is there a problem here?” A thick southern accent boomed.

Cadence looked up to see who it was and let out a sigh of relief when she saw it was Mac. He had come by to pick up Applejack a few times when Cadence would watch her and Twilight together. He also came by her house a lot to fix things that were broken. (She wouldn’t let Shining know that though. It would hurt his feelings. Even though she had no feelings for Mac.) She knew him well and so did Shining espeically since they were next door neighbors.

The boy’s bravado disappeared. “N-Nope. We were just leaving.” He said, stepping away from Cadence and Shining.

“That’s a good idea. We wouldn’t want nobody to get hurt here, now would we?” Mac threatened, cracking his knuckles.

The boys took off running.

Shining smirked. “Mac, dude you are a life saver man.” He said, bumping fists with him.

“No problem. Jus’ lookin’ out for the people who look out for my sister. Ya’ll alright?” He asked, looking more at Cadence than Shining. She knew he was just worried. He would have acted the same way if it had been Applejack instead of her.

She smirked at him. “Yeah. We’re cool.”

He tipped his top hat. “Well alright. Jus’ holler if ya need me.” He said before moseying over to the punch table to refill his cup.

And then it was just the two of them again. Cadence was actually pretty relieved. She wasn’t one for confrontation. And she knew that if Mac hadn’t stepped in, Shining wouldn’t have been able to control his anger for much longer. He was strong in mind, but not in body. If a fight had broken out there would have been no way that he could have defended himself. (As much as she hated putting her boyfriend down, it was the truth.)

“You wanna just, go home?” She asked, rubbing his hand.

“Why?” He laughed, looking at her.

“Cause, I mean you almost got into a fight.” Cadence responded, almost laughing herself. “And if I knew...I wouldn’t have asked you to come with me. We’re dating Shining. You should have told me you were being bullied. I had to hear it from Twilight.” She glared at him.

Shining Armour’s shoulders slumped. “Yeah, you’re right, I’m sorry. I just, I just didn’t want you fighting my battles.” He mumbled. “But then by me not telling you, you wound up doing that anyway.”

Cadence kissed his cheek. “Shining, you don’t always have to be my brave knight. I can handle myself. And sometimes you need to realize that it’s okay for you to be the one who needs saving. Okay?”

He nodded, blushing a little. “Okay.”

Cadence grabbed his hand. “Now c’mon. My favorite song is on, and I refuse to pass it up because my boyfriend’s being a sourpuss.” She teased as she pulled him onto the dance floor.

Shining couldn’t help but laugh.


A little later, Twilight could hear the phone in her pocket buzzing. It was an emergency cell phone her parents usually gave her when she was staying over at a relative's house or when she was over at a friend’s house for the night.

She had been sleeping, she wasn’t really sure what time it was. Between playing games with Pinkie and helping Applejack put the baby to sleep she didn’t remember where time began and where it ended. Looking down she saw that it was Cadence’s number. Groaning, she answered the call.

“Hello?” She croaked.

“H-Hey.” Cadence answered. She seemed out of breath. And apparently there was someone else breathing on her end of the line? “I just, uh, called to tell you- Oh god- That everything's cool.”

Twilight looked confusedly at the phone. “Alright?” She answered in a bewildered tone. “I guess I’ll leave you to- Wait a minute!” She was groggy but she wasn’t stupid. “Eww you guys are about to do the thing! Why are you calling me during foreplay?! I don’t want to hear my brother’s slobbery lips all over your neck! Gross!” She hung up the phone and threw it away from herself as if it were covered in cuties.

Groaning, Twilight laid back down on the bed. “Ugh. It’s going to take me forever to forget that.” But she was happy that her brother finally wasn’t a virgin anymore. (Even if it was none of her business.)

Author's Note:

Tonight is my senior prom! and guess who's not going? Meeeee! And what better way to celebrate not going by having the characters in my fanfic go for me? This took me a total of two days to complete. It was a really fun write! So, what do you guys think about Pinkie? Is she too random? Is she too young? Tell me!