• Published 30th Oct 2013
  • 5,163 Views, 507 Comments

My Little Pony: Isk is Magic - keyan88



A capsuleer exploring wormhole space finds himself trapped in an unknown system. After discovering the only other sentient species, other than humans, are ponies, adventures ensue. He soon learns there are more important things in the galaxy than Isk

  • ...
19
 507
 5,163

Chapter 1

With a mild distortion in space the Loki Strategic Cruiser made its appearance. Its owner, Keyan Charante was currently in his pod staring at the readings.

“Aura? What class wormhole is this?” he asked the A.I programmed into his ship. He frowned as a strand of his long brown hair suddenly dropped in front of his eyes.

“Dammit, I knew I should have gotten a damn hair cut for this clone,” He said as he managed to free a hand and brush it back behind his ear.

“Aura? What is the damn class of this wormhole?” he asked again getting frustrated.

After a few seconds the computers automated voice spoke,

“My apologies Captain. There appears to be no data on this system.”

The capsuleer was silent for a moment, “What are you saying Aura?”

“I believe it is safe to assume you are the first capsuleer to “set foot” as it were in this system.”

He was silent a much longer time after this.

Eventually,

“FUCK YEA! Aura send me what data you have managed to collect from on board systems and prepare the probes. If there’s anything worth anything in this system I want it found.”

“Very well sir.”

Immediately a flood of information began pouring into his brain. The implants in his head began whirring trying to keep up with it.

“Alright let’s see,” he said to himself, “One yellow sun, 4 planets, one asteroid belt. 2 rocky, and 1 gas, and an ice planet in this place’s Kuiper belt.”

He thought for a moment,

“Aura, focus on board scanners on the second planet from the sun.”

“Scanning… Scan complete.”

His mind began processing a fresh set of data.

“Hmmm, let’s see. Lies in the habitable zone of the star, readings seem promising. Aura
probability of this planet having life?”

“My calculations predict a 73% probability.”

“Sentient life?”

“Captain, despite your repeated use of that inquiry the answer is still astronomically low.”

Keyan chuckled, “Yea yea I know. But could you imagine?”

Despite humanity spreading to every corner of this galaxy and billions of types of life being found, not a single known species was sentient.

“Actually sir I was not programmed to have an imagination. Probes are ready, shall I launch them?”

“Go ahead”

Keyan watched the probes in his HUD, 30 in all, as they were fired from the probe launcher. He always liked watching the distance counter next to them increase exponentially as they warped. It reminded him of how big things the galaxy actually is.

“Aura send message to Corporation headquarters, full encryption protocols, I don’t want anyone getting word of this.”

“Opening channel sir.”

Keyan waited for the familiar corp chat to open up. He wanted to get a few capsuleers who he, trusted to not stab him in the back at some point, to get here and help a little. Actual friends were hard to come by in a galaxy where isk spoke first.

Instead a window popped up that he didn’t know was even coded into the system,

CANNOT CONNECT, It said in bold red text.

“Aura, what the fuck?” the capsuleer asked. This had never happened before, even in other wormholes he was able to communicate with the outside galaxy.

“I apologize sir, I shall attempt to connect again.”

CANNOT CONNECT

The window persisted.

“Aura, what the fuck?” he repeated

“Sir I have attempted to connect to your corporation server a total of 49 times. I have not succeeded.”

“Ummm…. Ok. Set course for the wormhole. We’re gonna leave and then come back. Make sure to bookmark the location.”

“Sir I’m afraid that is impossible.”

“Why?”

“The wormhole has collapsed.”

“What!? When!?” the capsuleers normally calm demeanor started to crack.

“Approximately .0017 seconds before my previous statement.”

The capsuleer paused for a second.

“So, I’m alone here?”

“Yes sir”

The analytical part of his mind kicked into overdrive,

“So if there is no way to communicate, send any type of signal, or leave, if I die here. I won’t wake up in another clone.”

“My calculations predict that is a likely possibility.”

That was it.

“Let me out of this pod.”

“Yes sir”

With a hiss the lid of the pod opened up and the capsuleer immediately lurched to his feet. He walked hastily down the utilitarian hallway to his quarters. As this was a T3 cruiser, and being constructed with the most advanced and experimental technology in the 4 empires, the presence of a crew was optional at best. And since he had the isk to purchase modules and robotics that completely eliminated the need for any person to be on board; he was alone.

As such the rest of the ship was remarkably bare, save for a few rooms that he used to transport the occasional diplomat or prisoner. The exception to this was his private quarters, he brought every luxury of a station that he could.

He sat down in a chair and buried his face in his hands. For the first time in years he was facing something he thought he had given up long ago, his mortality. Normally, when a capsuleer’s body dies all their memories and experiences are sent on a signal to one of their clones. Where they resume life as if nothing happened save for the fact they lost a ship. But if there is no way to send that signal, death means death.

“Sir I am detecting raised stress and anxiety levels, do you require assistance?”

The distraught capsuleer took a few deep breaths, then another for good measure, and locked his brown eyes on the camera that Aura was watching him from.

“I want you to divert 20 probes from their previous tasks and make them immediately start searching for wormholes.”

“Done sir”

“They will have to return to recharge in exactly 13 hours and 42 minutes sir.”

“I don’t care,” the capsuleer said as he felt numbness creeping into him.

“Sir I advise against staying motionless in empty space. The lack of background readings will make the possibility of detecting you exponentially higher.”

The capsuleer stroked his goatee a few times,

“Go to the second rocky planet and engage cloak once we arrive. I’m going to take a nap.”

“Very well sir. Good night.”

After the capsuleer had drifted off into sleep Aura began processing the petabytes of data pouring into her through the probes. Using a fraction of her processing power, she began the complex calculations needed for a warp jump. Calculations that would take a human hours or even days to do, she finished in a fraction of a second.

The ship's thrusters powered on and it silently turned to calculated heading. At this distance the planet that the ship was about to warp to was little more than a speck in the distance. With the destination locked in, the ship’s warp drive activated and it launched into the inky blackness of space

******

Twilight was excited; her brand new telescope had just arrived. At the moment
she was levitating it up the stairs with Spike in close pursuit.

“Oh I can’t wait Spike. This is 5x as strong as my old one! Thank you for ordering it for me!” She said excitedly.

“Don’t worry about it Twilight, and I’m sorry for breaking your old one,” the somber dragon said.

“Did you learn anything from that?” Twilight asked him.

The dragon mumbled something incoherent.

“What was that?” Twilight said again, waiting for a proper response.

“Don’t spy on Rarity while she’s collecting gems,” he said while staring at the ground.

“Aaaannnnddd??”

“When she’s working?”

“And?”

“Ever?”

Twilight smiled, “Good”

“It’s not like I spied on her in the shower or anything.”

Twilight stopped and glared down at the baby dragon.

“Just a joke! Just a joke!” his eyes were suddenly wide with fright

Twilight made the “I’m watching you” movement with her hoof and continued up the stairs.

After a few more steps she pushed open the door in front of her that lead onto her balcony. She put the giant cardboard box down and immediately began ripping it open.

After a flurry of Styrofoam peppered Spike Twilight let out a loud, ”AH HA!”, As she floated her new telescope into the air.

“Its amazing spike, now to set it up!” Twilight began screwing on the tripod and making sure it was set in a stable place. After pushing it gently a few times and evidently being satisfied she began to make sure all the lenses were in proper alignment and nothing was cracked.

As far as telescopes go, Spike had to agree this one at least looked cooler than her old one. It was a dark blue, and a long sleek design. It was roughly twice the length of Twilight’s old one, at least as long as her from head to tail. The label on the side read, “Luna Master 6000”, Spike wondered if Luna knew her name was on it.

“Alright! It’s all set up Spike you can go to bed if you want, I’ll wake you up if I need you.”

Spike yawned, suddenly realizing how tired he actually was, “Ok Twilight. Good night”

“Night Spike” the industrious unicorn said as she finalized the focus. With a huge smile on her face she looked through the telescope was greeted by the most beautiful….cloud!?

“Pony feathers! I forgot tonight was supposed to be overcast!?” What am I going to do?”

Twilight knew that just waiting for the next clear night was the logical thing to do. But the need to use her new toy out- weighed her logical side, knowing that there was only one pony that could help her she teleported to an inconspicuous field on the edge of Ponyville.

She looked up and saw the massive cloud house that Rainbow Dash lived in.

“RAINBOW DASH!” she shouted up at the fluffy home.

“SHHHHH” came a chorus of voices from nearby houses.

Twilight blushed, “Sorry everypony”

She looked expectantly back up at the cloud house, waiting for her rainbow maned friend to make an appearance. After a few minutes Twilight sighed,

"Come on Rainbow! I need you.”

Twilight hopped up and down in place a few times, much like a filly who wants a toy.

Meanwhile up in a very comfy cloud bed a pegasus was stirring. Twilights call of, “I need you” pierced her dreams and she stirred slightly.

When the call came again she opened her eyes. She blinked a few times to clear the sleep and slowly lifted herself up.

“Is somepony calling me? I must be more tired than I thought.”

Just as she was about to flop back down her eras caught the call again. She recognized Twilight’s voice and shakily stood up.

“I swear Twilight; you better have a good reason for this.”

Twilight immediately broke out in a silent yes dance as she saw her friend step out of her door.

She stopped as Rainbow landed in front of her.

“I’m trying to sleep Twilight, what do you need?”

“I need you to clear the clouds.”

Rainbow looked at the blurry clouds; there was a fair amount of them.

“Why, for pony’s sake, do you want be to do this in the middle of the night?”

Twilight suddenly blushed and nervously pawed at the ground with one of her hooves,

“I’m sorry to disturb you Rainbow. I ummm… got a new telescope and wanted to try it out. And the clouds are in the way. Sooo I thought I could ask you for help.”

Rainbow sighed, “Okay, you’re lucky I never leave my friends hanging.”

Twilight’s face exploded in a grin and she pulled Rainbow into a hug, “OH THANK YOU RAINBOW.”

Rainbow rolled her eyes, “No problem Twilight, but I can’t really fly with you hanging onto me like this.

“Oh sorry…” Twilight blushed as she let go.

“Head back to your library, the sky will be clear by the time you get there.”

Twilight beamed as she headed back home.

Rainbow looked longingly back up at her home, where her cloud bed was, before launching herself into the air.

****

Twilight watched in undisguised awe her friend cleared the sky for her. Even half asleep she was magnificent. In slightly more than 10 seconds flat, the sky was clear and Luna’s night shone clear and bright.

Twilight could hardly hold herself together as her excitement threatened to burst through her seams. She did one final check of the telescope and then out her eye to it.

Luna’s moon exploded into her field of view, in clarity that Twilight could have never expected possible. Twilight could see nooks and craters on the moon that were little more than blurs on her old one. Twilight’s reverie was broken by a pony clearing its throat behind her.

She turned around and was greeted by a slightly nervous looking Rainbow Dash.

“Oh hey Rainbow. Thank you so much for your help. You can go back to bed if you want.”

“Ok, um I guess I’ll go in a bit.”

“I would imagine you would want to get right back to sleep,” Twilight said with a cocked head.

“Oh, well… ummm… I was flying back and I saw you standing her alone. And I thought maybe you would like somepony to stay up with you, or something.”

“That’s sweet Rainbow,” Twilight said with a smile.

The two ponies then stood awkwardly next to each other for a few seconds before Rainbow piped up,

“So, umm what are you looking at?”

Happy to break the silence Twilight immediately answered. “Just the moon right now. Do you wanna take a look?”

“Sure” Rainbow said softly as she put her eye to the telescope.

Her eyes immediately shot wide open and she looked at Twilight,

“WOW! THIS IS SO AWESOME!” she immediately put turned back. Her smile was threatening to jump off her face.

Twilight giggled, “I’m glad you think so Rainbow. If you give me my telescope back I can show you Mares.”

“Show me what!?” Rainbow said, a blush suddenly appearing on her face.

“Mares the planet! Not well, mares,” Twilight said quickly, a blush peeking through on her face as well.

“Ohh, ok, I’d love that Twilight,” Rainbow said he she backed away from the telescope.

The two mares then spent the next 4 hours staring at the stars. Twilight loving the reaction on Rainbow’s face every time she showed her something new.

Twilight was refocusing the telescope on a comet when Rainbow poked her in the side with a hoof.

“Hey Twilight? What are those?”

Twilight removed her eye from the telescope and suddenly noticed how close the two were standing. Practically their entire sides were touching, from their flanks to their shoulders they were pressed together. The chilly night air and subtlety encouraged the situation.

Blushing Twilight followed Rainbows outstretched hooves. Looking up at the sky Twilight saw a few blinking lights made their way across the sky. They were moving extremely fast.

“Can you get them in the telescope Twilight?” Rainbow asked.

“They’re moving way to fast,” Twilight responded.

“Wow more!” Rainbow shouted excitedly as more, many more blinking lights showed appeared.

“Twilight, why are they moving in formation?” Rainbow suddenly asked,

“What do you mean?” Twilight started looking at the blinking lights differently.

“Look, they’re essentially in a circle.”

Twilight had an idea and she began carefully re-positioning the telescope.

“What are you doing Twi?”

“We can’t get the lights in telescope, but maybe we can see what they’re heading to.”

As the blinking lights approached each other a dark, slightly red looking light appeared in the center.

“AHA” Twilight shouted as she looked through the telescope again. Her jaw immediately went slack as the strange object zoomed up close. Only the half of it that was catching some of the sun's light was visible.

It was obviously not natural, and no pony could ever make something like this. It was rust colored, with harsh sharp lines outlining its shape. A few large domes were splattered in regular intervals along its surface, as well as many more medium and small ones. It appeared to be made of some sort of metal. Hatches opened up along its side and the blinking lights made their way inside.

“What is it Twi?” Rainbow asked as she softly shoved her out of the way.

Her jaw dropped to the floor as she looked at it.

Rainbow suddenly turned back to Twilight.

“It disappeared!”

“What?” Twilight pushed Rainbow out of the way, in a much more forceful manner than Rainbow Dash did, and sure enough the object was gone.

“Nothing can disappear like that!” Twilight started to get hysterical.

Rainbow slapped her across the face, “Calm down Twilight. Maybe an invisibility spell?”

“No that wouldn’t work, the amount of magic required to do that would be astronomical. Considering that thing appeared to be at least twice, if not more, times as big as Canterlot Castle.”

“So what are we gonna do?” Rainbow looked at Twilight.

The two ponies sat there for a moment, pondering what to do before they simultaneously smiled..

“Princess Luna”