• Published 18th Aug 2013
  • 2,650 Views, 74 Comments

Step-Parents - Azreale



It was bad enough that Twilight's parents decided to get a divorce. What's worse is that they've each found a new special somepony - and she's not pleased when she finds out who they are.

  • ...
12
 74
 2,650

Chapter One

Princess Twilight Sparkle fell to her knees; tears already free falling down her face.

“What do you mean, dad? You and mom… you love each other!” She cried out, trembling. Twilight hung her head low to the ground and sniffled deeply, trying to make sense of the situation. For years, Velvet and Night Light were a loving couple who cared a lot about each other.

“I’m sorry, princess. You know that your mother and I both still love you very much, but the two of just don’t see eye to eye like we used to. We both talked it over, and we agreed that it was better this way.” Night Light put a reassuring hoof onto his daughter’s shoulder. Twilight looked up sadly.

“Can you really not work this out? You two have been in fights before… every couple has! But they sit down and work it out together!” The alicorn stood up and glared at her father in the eye angrily. “What’s so bad that you can’t work this out like normal adults?! Huh?! Why can’t you be mature?!” Night Light took a step back, shocked and a little bit upset at his only daughter. Twilight’s gaze didn’t flinch.

“Princess, you don’t want to know. Please, just drop this. You don’t need to worry about it. There are more pressing matters for you to concern yourself with.” Night Light shook his head, his blue mane flying back and forth. He squeezed his eyes shut, trying to push the memories of his conversations with Velvet out of his mind. Tears threatened to roll down his own cheeks.

“No!” Twilight screeched, pounding the floor with a hoof like she did when she was a filly, “I am a part of this family and I deserve to know what’s happening! Why are you and mom getting a divorce?!” Twilight stepped towards her father, and for a brief moment, all of her anger and fury was replaced with a pleading sorrow. “Please tell me, dad.” Night Light opened his mouth, and then closed it again. He sighed, and his shoulders slumped forward, defeated.

“It will just hurt you more if you know,” He began slowly, choosing his words carefully, “But if you really want to know, I’ll tell you.”

“Please, dad,” Twilight nuzzled his shoulder lovingly; “I want to help you. I want to help you both.” Night Light nodded.

“Your mother… revealed to me a few weeks ago…” He stopped and took a breath before continuing, his whole body shaking from anxiety, “That she has been cheating on me for the past six months.” Twilight felt new tears rolling down her face, and for the first time that night, she saw fresh ones coming from her father’s eyes as well.

“Dad… are you serious? You’re not joking around right now?” She mumbled, trying to form cohesive words. They mostly just came out as a babble, her mind still trying to process the sentence that her father just uttered.

“I’m… afraid so, princess. Velvet said that she met this stallion when she went away on a business trip, and she’s fallen in love with him.” The words obviously visibly pained him to say. Twilight was speechless, her mouth opening and closing like a fish in water. A long, awkward silence filled the room.

“But… how could she do this to you?” She said finally after a while. Night Light merely shrugged, having no idea how to reply to his daughter’s question.

“I’ve been wondering the same thing myself, Twily.”

~~~~~~~~~~

“My stars, Twilight! I simply cannot believe it!” Rarity exclaimed, putting her teacup down and pulling her friend in for a supportive hug, which Twilight gladly took. It took all of the alicorn’s strength not to cry as her friend embraced her. “I’m so sorry something like this happened! Your parents are so sweet! I never would have thought that your mother could be capable of something like this!” Twilight pulled away, rubbing her right eye absently.

“I know… of all the reasons that I could think of that might cause their divorce, infidelity was certainly not high on the list.” Twilight smirked despite herself, letting out a short, harsh giggle. Rarity rubbed her forearm gently.

“If there is absolutely anything that I can do to help you or your family out in this tough time, be sure to tell me, alright? I want you to know that I will be there for you, no matter what happens!” The white unicorn promised, giving Twilight her most sincere, earnest smile. Twilight returned it.

“Thank you Rarity. I mean it, thank you so much. It feels good to have somepony else that I can talk to about this kind of thing. It’s not that I don’t trust the other girls, but…” Twilight twirled her hoof around in a circle, trying to find the right words, “I don’t think they would be as refined as you are about this, if that makes any sense.”

“Of course it does, dear.” Rarity nodded sharply. “Like I said, you can come talk to me about anything and we will sort it out together. I promise.” Twilight’s smile faltered, if only slightly, at her friend’s words. The way that Rarity spoke seemed slightly off to her, but Twilight couldn’t say why. The alicorn mentally shrugged, brushing the feeling off as her inner self being out of whack lately.

“Thanks Rare. I gotta take off now, but it was really good talking to you. I’ll come back to Ponyville as soon as I can. I promised my dad that I would stay with him in Canterlot for a few days, to help him out through this whole ordeal, you know?” Rarity nodded once, slowly.

“Of course, of course. And…” She paused, biting her lower lip, wondering if she should ask such a question. “And what of your mother? Where is she staying, if not at your Canterlot home?” Twilight visibly stiffened, not wanting to think of her mother.

“Dad said that she’s gone to the Crystal Empire. To see Shining, and all that. She figured that she might as well tell him face to face.” Twilight’s brows furrowed as a twinge of anger passed through her. “I would love to be there to see the look on her face when Shiny kicks her sorry flank right out of the castle.”

“Twilight!” Rarity gasped, holding a hoof to her heart. “I know that your mother erred, but you still love her, do you not? A child should never say such harsh words about their parent!”

“Of course I still love her!” Twilight answered quickly, holding her hooves up defensively. “It’s just… she did something so bad to my dad… she broke his heart! And what’s worse, I think, is that dad’s not angry at her! They’re still talking via letters, for Celestia’s sake! Dad isn’t even mad at her! He should be!” Twilight hung her head in shame almost instantly after the words spilled out of her mouth. She looked up guiltily at Rarity. “Shouldn’t he?” Rarity tsked.

“I think that it’s wonderful that your father is stallion enough to forgive the wrong-doings of a mare, and continue a platonic friendship with her for the sake of his children. It truly shows how caring he is.” Rarity’s eyes suddenly lit up once she said the word caring. “I-deeeee-a!” She jumped up and pulled Twilight up, smiling brightly at her friend. “Why don’t you invite your dear father here for a few nights?” Twilight just cocked an eyebrow at the overly excited unicorn.

“Why?” She asked in a deadpan voice. Rarity was always spouting unnecessary ideas, and this was probably another one of them, but Rarity’s smile didn’t fall one bit.

“Because, darling,” She laughed, as if it were obvious, “It will get his mind off of his wife! Or, ex-wife, I should say,” Rarity actually giggled. “He’ll get to meet your friends on a personal level, see your home, meet new ponies... who knows, maybe there’s a mare here that’s just right for him!” She squealed in delight.

“I seriously doubt that anypony here would be interested in my father, Rare.” Twilight reminded her, rapping her very gently on the side of her head. The unicorn seemed unfazed.

“Oh pish posh! There are plenty of available, beautiful mares here just ripe for the picking! What about Cheerilee? Or Redheart? Oooh, what about one of the spa sisters-“

“Rarity!” Twilight yelled, exasperated beyond belief. “All of those mares are our age!”

“Well, who’s to say that your father doesn’t need a ripe, young mare that’s full of energy and spunk?” The unicorn countered. Twilight shuddered involuntarily, shaking her head back and forth.

“Not even going to go there, Rares. Thanks for the idea, aside from that last part, it’s actually pretty good. I think I might bring that up with him later on tonight. A little vacation might do him good!”

“Exactly.” Rarity winked. “Have a safe trip home, Twilight. I eagerly await word of your father’s impending arrival!” She sang merrily at the door as she waved Twilight off, her face positively glowing. Twilight gave her an awkward grin and a half wave as she flapped her wings and took to the sky, trying to make a little sense of the uncomfortable last-half of her visit.

~~~~~~~~~~

“Remember dad; don’t think that you have to come just for me. This is a trip for you – if you feel uncomfortable meeting my friends on a more personal level, or if you don’t think that you can leave Canterlot due to work, please don’t feel forced to.” Twilight assured her father, mildly hoping that he would decline. She had a nagging feeling in the back of her mind that told her that inviting her father to Ponyville would be a rather bad idea, especially with Rarity’s words planted firmly in her mind that her father might find somepony who was a little too young for his age.

“Oh, of course I can get somepony else to cover for me at work! Don’t worry Twilight – I think that visiting you in Ponyville is a wonderful idea! I’ve wanted to for some time now, but I never knew when you were free, and I didn’t want to have to burden you with looking after your old man.” Night Light winked playfully at his daughter, who nudged him back.

“Dad, you knew that it would have been no trouble at all. There aren’t too many dangers plaguing Equestria currently, which is a weird and refreshing change, to say the least!” The Princess laughed alongside her father, and for the first time in a while, Night Light could say that he was truly happy.

“When do you think I could come down, princess?” Night Light asked, looking at Twilight. The two were nestled together under a blanket drinking some hot cocoa, something that the two had not done since Twilight herself was a little filly.

“Why not tomorrow? Work has already given you the week off – and I can just teleport us down there!” Twilight beamed proudly at Night Light, whose own eyes went wide.

“You can teleport two whole ponies? Plus my luggage?” He asked, his voice filled with wonder. While Night Light was no amateur when it came to magic, everypony knew that teleporting even just one pony was a difficult, arduous task.

“Yep! Before, I could only teleport myself around, and even that took a little bit out of me each time I did it. But now that I have these,” She unfurled the wings on her back, disturbing the blanket, “Casting teleportation spells is a breeze!” Night Light just stared at Twilight for a few brief moments, pride and accomplishment filling his heart, before rustling the alicorn’s mane.

“I’m mighty proud of you, princess. Why don’t I go round up a few of my things and put them by the stairs for tomorrow. It’s getting late anyhow – you should be getting to sleep. Even if you do have super incredible alicorn powers now, you’re still a little filly,” Night Light cocked an eyebrow playfully, “And little fillies should be in bed by this time.” The two glanced to the clock and saw that it was almost eleven thirty. Twilight nodded, smiling, and stood up, shivering once as a cold chill passed through her. Fall was never Twilight’s favorite season.

“I guess you’re right, dad. I can’t wait for tomorrow!” She exclaimed, feeling a bit better about the entire idea. “I’ll see you tomorrow morning, bright and early!” Twilight stifled a laugh at Night Light’s rolling eyes.

“Good night, princess. I love you.” He smiled warmly as he walked his daughter to her old bedroom, still decorated like a little filly’s. If Twilight minded, she didn’t voice it or show it.

“I love you too dad. Thanks for letting me stay here. Have a good night!” She gave him a brief hug and a kiss on the cheek before entering the bedroom and closing the door behind her with her magic, leaving Night Light in the empty, darkened hall. Yet despite all that had happened recently, the stallion felt good about himself. He had two successful children, and a daughter who was willing to give up her free time away from the castle to be with him. And now, an offer from her to meet all of her friends and see her true Ponyville home? Night Light couldn’t be happier. He went to his own room and gently tugged the covers back, climbing in them and flipping off the light switch with his magic.

And deep in his heart, Night Light knew for absolute certain, that everything was going to be fine.