• Published 18th Aug 2013
  • 2,650 Views, 74 Comments

Step-Parents - Azreale



It was bad enough that Twilight's parents decided to get a divorce. What's worse is that they've each found a new special somepony - and she's not pleased when she finds out who they are.

  • ...
12
 74
 2,650

Chapter Two

The Sparkle’s woke up bright and early the next morning for their trip to Ponyville. Twilight had a spring in her step as she trotted around her childhood house, eager and excited for the day to come.

“I’m so happy that you’re going to meet all my friends dad! Well, I mean, you’ve met them already I suppose, but now you’ll really get to meet them!” Twilight was bouncing up and down like Pinkie Pie after one too many sugar cookies. Night Light laughed and ruffled her hair.

“You know it, Twily. I’m pretty excited too. All of my things are packed, if you’re ready to go.”

“I am! Now then, just stand close to me and I’ll teleport us down.” Twilight shuffled over closer to her father to that their sides were almost touching. Night Light levitated his three bags over to his side as he watched Twilight’s own horn light up with her trademark purple magic. While most unicorns would be panting and sweating with exhaustion by this point, Twilight’s face was calm and cool, showing no signs of over-exertion at all. Night Light marvelled at his daughter’s power for a brief moment before a blinding purple light overtook him, and as fast as he could blink, the two were standing in front of a giant tree. A quick, disoriented glance to the right showed Night Light a busy town square, with market stalls and store owners flagging down any passing pony they could see. Multiple voices could be heard calling out their greetings and good wishes to anypony that could hear them. More than once, Twilight earned a respectful bow of the head from a passer-by.

“Twily, is this where you live?” Night Light asked, gazing around. Unlike the hustle and bustle of Canterlot, where earth and Pegasus ponies were rare and hard to come by, Ponyville housed all three breeds of ponies comfortably. The stallion almost marvelled at the sense of community emanating from everyone in the town square. If an earth pony came to Canterlot and tried to mingle with the local unicorns, he would be brushed off and shunned for being different. Here, everypony was treated equally and with respect. It was a strange and refreshing change for Night Light to behold.

“Welcome to Ponyville, dad! I hope you’ll like it here! If you don’t mind, I’ll show you my home and where you’ll be sleeping, and then afterwards we can go meet my friends!” Twilight motioned with a nod of her head towards the giant tree that the two had landed in front of. Night Light followed slowly, taking in the sights. “Now, I’m sure you’ll remember my number one assistant!” Twilight winked playfully and hollered Spike’s name once she had swung open the tree’s door, revealing inside a giant library. Night Light laughed as he entered, shaking his head as he looked at the rows and rows of bookshelves.

“That’s just like you, Twily. Leave it to you to live in a giant library.” Night Light put his hooves up defensively as Twilight shot him a playful glare, but both ponies turned as they heard the pitter patter of feet running down the stairs.

Dad!” Night Light heard his adoptive dragon son yell as Spike barrelled into him, nearly knocking him over. “It’s so good to see you! I’ve missed you so much!”

“I’ve missed you too Spike. You’re looking well I see! My, look how big you are now!” Spike got off Night Light and stood up proudly, beaming as he flexed his muscles.

“Finally, somepony who thinks so! Twilight says I’m still a kid,” Spike stuck his tongue out at the alicorn, who rolled her eyes, “But I’m not! See, Twi? I told you!”

“Whatever, whatever. Come on dad, I’ll show you to your room,” Twilight turned and began walking up the staircase. Spike helped Night Light up and the two sped up, jogging to catch up to the alicorn.

“How have you been, sport? I hope Twily hasn’t been too rough on you these past few years. I’ve missed you two an awful lot since you moved away!”

“I missed you too dad. Eh, Twilight’s been okay. Same old same old, I guess.” The dragon and the stallion shared a quick laugh as they entered the room where Twilight stood waiting in the doorway.

“Dad, this is where you’ll be staying. I’m sorry it’s not anything extravagant – I usually don’t have overnight guests, so this is the best I can do.” Twilight said as she motioned for Night Light to step in. “Here, I’ll grab your bags.”

“Thank you, sweetie.” The stallion mumbled as he looked around the room. Just like his daughter had said, it was indeed very plain – a double bed below the window, two nightstands on both sides, and a small dresser to the very left corner of the room. A mirror hung on the wall and there was a small table below it, but that was about it. Night Light turned and gave his daughter a big smile. “It’s perfect. Thank you for letting me stay here, both of you. It means a lot to me.”

“Hey, it’s no problem at all! If you’re ready, why don’t we go meet my friends for lunch? They’re waiting down at the Daisy Café for us.” Twilight informed him. Night Light looked towards Spike when he saw the dragon swoon out of the corner of him eye.

“What’s up with Spike?” The stallion asked, confused as to why Spike’s eyes were replaced with hearts. Twilight shook her head as she levitated the dragon onto her back, already trotting down the stairs. Night Light rushed to catch up with her. “Is he going to be okay?”

“Of course he will be. He’s just excited at the idea that he’ll get to pay for Rarity.” Twilight laughed as Spike let out a dreamy sigh. “You know Rarity, right?” Night Light thought for a moment.

“Rarity… that name does sound familiar… she’s not the blue Pegasus… is she the unicorn? The white one?” He asked. Twilight’s face lit up.

“You remembered! Yeah, she’s the unicorn! Spike’s always looking for an excuse to impress her,” She leaned in to her father and whispered, “I think he has a little bit of a crush on her.” Spike immediately jumped up and nearly fell off of Twilight’s back once the words had left her mouth.

Twilight!” He hissed angrily, still keeping his voice to a whisper, “You can’t just go telling everyone that! It’s a secret! She’s so beautiful, what if when she finds out, she gets all creeped out and doesn’t want to be around me anymore?!” Spike punched her lightly on the back of her shoulder. “What if dad goes and tells her now?!” The dragon turned to Night Light with pleading eyes. “Please don’t go and tell her now!”

“Don’t worry Spike,” Night Light gave him a gentle nudge, “I won’t. You have good taste – that girl seems very nice. She’s an Element of Harmony too, if I’m not mistaken, yes? Generosity, was it?” Twilight nodded in confirmation.

“Yep! Rarity’s always offering to make us dresses and give us makeovers. She’ll probably offer to make you a new suit when we get there.” The alicorn motioned to the café across the street. “We’re almost there now.”

“It’ll only be the five of them, right? Nopony else?” Night Light asked, biting his lip. He loathed saying it, but he was actually nervous about meeting them all.

“Don’t worry dad, they’ll like you. They’ve met you before! Just relax, you’ll have me and Spike there as well. Everything is going to be just fine.” Twilight scanned the tables that were outside, looking for her friends. “Now, I just need to find- oh! There they are!” Twilight trotted ahead merrily, flapping her wings once to get their attention. Night Light gulped audibly and followed, keeping his head a little lower than usual.

“Twilight, darling! Here we are! It’s so good to see you!” Rarity stood up and waved at the alicorn and the dragon, rushing forward to give them both a hug. Spike melted in her arms the second that she touched him. “And this is your father, yes? It’s been so long since we’ve seen him!” She exclaimed, locking eyes with him. Night Light stopped dead in his tracks.

“Yes! This is my dad, Night Light. I know you’ve all met him, but since it has been a while, I figured that you might as well get introduced again! Dad, these are my friends!” She motioned to each one of them in turn, introducing them as Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Fluttershy, and finally, Rarity. Spike hopped off of Twilight’s back and ushered Night Light to his seat, to the left of his daughter’s.

“See, I told you she was beautiful.” He whispered, his eyes never leaving the white unicorn’s smiling face. Night Light nodded slowly, staring as well.

“Yes… beautiful.”

~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of the lunch went by quickly enough. Night Light was regaled with stories of the girls’ adventures, both with their friends and without. The stallion had learned more about throwing parties, flying, caring for animals and apple farming than he ever thought he could learn in an hour. He nodded politely and listened to all of them, even the topics that he found to be boring. He even shared a few stories about his own life in Canterlot. He humored Rainbow Dash with tales of watching the Wonderbolts derbies, and Fluttershy with the mention of the Palace Gardens. Yet it was Rarity who was the most excited to hear about his life.

“So, you’re saying that you see ponies like Fancy Pants and Lady Fleur de Lis just walking around outside daily?” Rarity asked, her eyes wide and her mouth frozen in a big smile. Night Light nodded, leaning back in his chair.

“Oh yeah! Sometimes, we’ll even see ponies from the palace around the city! More than once, I’ve seen the Princess’s advisors and personal hoofmaidens shopping. And one time, just one time,” Night Light leaned in, pausing for dramatic effect, “I saw Princess Celestia herself!”

“Truly?!” Rarity leaned in as well, gasping. Twilight giggled at her reaction. “What was she buying?! Was it dresses? Was she getting a dress?!”

“I can’t say that I know. I only saw her pass by; I didn’t see her actually purchase anything. She didn’t even have any bags with her. But still, it was pretty amazing. It’s not every day that you get to see a princess. Well,” He looked to Twilight, who blushed, “Maybe some ponies do, but that’s beside the point.” The whole table shared in a laugh for a short while before Rainbow Dash looked up to the sky.

“Well, thanks for lunch everypony. I gotta head off – there’s a weather team that needs organizing. Catch ya later!” The cyan Pegasus called out as she lifted into the air and took off with a wave. The rest of the ponies at the table watched their friend fly off into the distance before finally disappearing behind some trees.

“Well, this was a pleasant lunch girls. I’m glad that I got to spend-“

Ugh, Twilight!” Spike interrupted, grabbing onto the alicorn’s wing and giving it a tug to get her attention.

“What, Spike?” Twilight turned to him, agitated and a little bit offended that he would interrupt Rarity like he did. Without saying another word, however, a stream of green fire erupted from the dragon’s mouth and a scroll dropped onto the table. Spike groaned afterwards.

“Sorry Twi, letter was coming.” He said as he slumped back in his seat, letting go of her wing. Twilight levitated the scroll and unfurled it, reading it silently in her head. The more her eyes darted back and forth along the page, the more her face fell.

“Twily, what’s wrong?” Night Light asked, leaning over to read the letter, but Twilight rolled it back up and put it away. “Is something the matter?”

“Yes, unfortunately,” She said, looking from her father to her friends, “Celestia just sent me a message saying I’m needed in Canterlot for an urgent meeting. Something about the griffons, I believe.”

“Oh dear, when do you think you’ll be back?” Rarity asked, putting a hoof onto her friend’s shoulder. Twilight shrugged.

“No clue. I could be up there the entire week, if things go poorly. And believe me, when it comes to the griffons,” Twilight rolled her eyes, “Things always go poorly.” The alicorn guiltily turned to her father. “I’m sorry dad, but I have to go. You don’t mind, do you?” She asked, keeping her head low. Night Light fixed her with a reassuring smile and pulled her in for a hug.

“Of course not! You go and do whatever it is that you princesses do up there, I’ll be fine here! After all, I have my favorite dragon here to keep me company!” The stallion noogied Spike’s head playfully. Twilight stood up, grinning at the two.

“Alright, if you’re sure. If you need to contact me for any reason, get Spike to send a letter and I’ll be sure to teleport back down.”

“I will, dear, don’t worry.” He affirmed, but Twilight still looked rather downtrodden.

“I’m just sorry that I can’t be a better host! Here I was, thinking that you were going to get a good tour and a good look at life in Ponyville, and now I have to leave you!” She muttered, “Some host I am.”

“Nonsense, Twily! You’re a Princess now – you have to do what you have to do. Go, I’ll be fine. I promise.”

“Twilight,” Rarity interjected, placing a hoof onto Night Light’s shoulder, earning a jealous glare from Spike, “If it truly bothers you that much, I’ll take the liberty upon myself to show your father around and make sure he’s comfortable,” The unicorn gave Night Light a warm look, “You wouldn’t mind that, would you, Mr. Sparkle?”

“I… uh, n-no! Of course not! Unless that would be too much of a burden on you, Miss Rarity. I wouldn’t want to be a bother.” Night Light stuttered. Rarity didn’t seem to notice, instead brushing him off with a laugh.

“Oh, no bother at all, Mr. Sparkle! It would be my absolute honor to be your hostess while here! Unfortunately I cannot offer you lodgings at my home at Carousel Boutique, but I trust you have a room at the library?” She asked, looking from the stallion to the alicorn.

“Yes, I do.” He stuttered again, not understanding why he felt so nervous. Rarity took her hoof off of his shoulder and clapped once, letting out a squeal.

“Then it’s decided! Twilight dear, you must be off to Canterlot! I wish you the best of luck with whatever griffon thing is going on! Come, Mr. Sparkle! There is much to show you here in our quaint little town!” She tugged him upwards with her magic and started towards the exit. “Like I was saying earlier, thank you all for a wonderful afternoon! Hope you all have a good day! Ta~!” Rarity called, pulling him alongside her. Spike stretched out his hand and opened his mouth, but no words came out.

“Alright, if you’re sure Rares! See ya later everypony! Spike, be good for dad and be sure to get to bed on time. Dad, if Rarity tries to make you model for her, feel free to say no, she won’t mind too much!” Twilight yelled after them as they turned onto the street, Night Light still being held with her magical aura.

“Bye Twily! Have fun in Canterlot!” The father called as Twilight winked out of sight. “Bye girls! It was a pleasure meeting you all!” He waved to the remaining ponies and Spike at the table.

“Now, come along now, Mr. Sparkle. There’s much to see here!” Rarity released him once they were halfway down the street and no longer in sight of the Daisy Café. He stopped momentarily, trying to regain his balance. The unicorn turned back around and looked at him, giving him a quizzical glance. “Mr. Sparkle?”

“Please, Miss Rarity,” He replied, composing himself. “Call me Night Light.”