• Published 31st Jul 2013
  • 2,267 Views, 21 Comments

Friendship is Chaos - Word Worthy



Discord teams up with the Daedric Prince of Madness, Halo's Didact, and three other evil beings to steal the Elements of Harmony's combined power for a mysterious intent.

  • ...
5
 21
 2,267

Chapter 7: The Librarian's Vision

Ponyville, Equestria

"Now I am seeing ghosts, is that it? Have I truly taken leave of my senses..?" Didact said. He absolutely could not believe who it was that stood before him.

"My husband, there is so much happening that you do not realize. You don't understand what it is you or your allies claim to seek. Is your hatred for Mankind so great, that you would allow yourself to be a mere pawn in someone else's game?" The floating woman said.

"Pawn! Bah! I do understand. We are to acquire the Elements of this land to further our own goals. Our alliance, these 'Elements of Chaos'," Didact looked at the other villains with a sneer. "is one of convenience. Only together can we absorb Harmony's power. And none of us are subordinate to any of the others. I am also aware of the fact the Mad God and Discord are withholding information from me. But whatever it is, I am certain it is of no consequence to my plans." Didact shot back.

The Promethean than posed a question. "And what are you doing in this world anyhow? I thought you died when the Halo Array swept through the Galaxy after Bornstellar fired them. How did you survive Librarian?"

"Not now, Didact, in due time you will know. But now, it is time you, and everyone, know the truth. The truth that two of your companions have known all along." The Forerunner Lifeworker gestured at Discord and Sheogorath.

Sheogorath took the moment to address Librarian for the first time. He had the dark, dangerous look on his face that was signature of his Demented side. "You again woman?! First Celestia, then that know-it-all blind seer Theresa, now you? You do-gooders are really starting to make me an impatient Daedra! Oh, and trust me, there ain't nothin', more dangerous, than an impatient, PISSED OFF DAEDRIC PRINCE!"

"Easy now, Sheo. We mustn't let them get the better of us! It won't kill everyone to know, seeing as how everypony will be dead if our true plan fails anyway." Discord cautioned.

The last part of Discord's statement drew everyone's attention towards him, then after several moments, to the Librarian for answers.

"As you see, these two know more than they let on. They seek to combine their powers with the power contained within the Elements of Harmony, as well as the power of all your Elements of Chaos. They seek all this power...not for Chaos, nor conquest, but to fight an enemy that threatens everything in existence." Librarian paused, looking to each and every one of the beings in front of her.

"All of your worlds, and their inhabitants, good, evil, neutral, it does not matter, are threatened by this enemy. They are the true danger Celestia mentioned. And its origins can be found in the most ancient records of the Forerunner Domain, my people's once great store of ancient knowledge..."

The Librarian waved her hand, and a bright light subdued the vision of all beings present. As the light faded, they all saw a vision of the distant past. "In me and my Husband's world, 10 million years before the fall of our interstellar empire, there was a great and powerful god-like race that called themselves the Precursors." The Librarian said, narrating.

Everyone could see what could only be the Milky Way and it's satellite galaxies, as they appear from intergalactic space. Numerous constructs of inconceivably massive proportions held position, as if watching the galaxy.

"The Precursors were the creators of all life in our galaxy, and it is theorized they created specific races for a very specific purpose. Central to their civilization was the concept of the Mantle. The Mantle declared that it was the sacred duty of the most powerful race to become the Guardians of all living things. In time, the Forerunners were the next species intended to be given that task." The Librarian paused.

The vision changed to one of a fleet of Forerunner warships attacking the mysterious objects. The constructs did not move to defend themselves.

"Then, something went wrong, and the Precursors then called for the removal of the Forerunners, and for a new species to assume the Mantle, Humanity. My people reacted with extremely savage violence. They drove their creators out of the galaxy in rage, chasing them to Path Kethona."

The image shifted to the smaller galaxy nearby.

"It was there that the true atrocities took place. Unknown countless numbers of the Precursors were killed off without mercy. The few that remained, took two courses of action. Half of them fled to other universes, never to be heard from again, and the others chose to remain. They put their bodies into a state of extended hibernation, by literally turning to dust. When the galaxy was ready, they would one day re-emerge. However, after ten Aeons, the dust had decayed. It was now only capable of creating horrific abominations." Librarian's voice began to quiver as she spoke, but she continued onward.

"When these abominations were finally awoken from their ages-long slumber, the Parasites arose and fought the mightiest galactic powers of the day."

The image flashed between that of the Didact before his disfigurement, scenes of the Ecumene Council in session, the Human capital of Charum Hakkor, and various titanic battles between the Humans, San 'Shyuum, Forerunners, and the Flood.

"Humanity and its ally solely pushed the Parasite back, but they were no match for Didact's armies when they came. Humanity was defeated and forced back to the Earth. The fighting left my people weakened as well. And when the Flood finally came for us ten thousand years later, we were no match. After three centuries of ceaseless warfare, my people made a final decision."

Now the image portrayed the Greater and Lesser Arks, building and deploying what would become the second Array of seven Halo rings.

"We would save all life in the galaxy...but at a cost. All complex life that could not be indexed by my Lifeworkers, including the Forerunners themselves, would face extinction as our Array's pulse swept across the Galaxy."

Everyone watched as the imaged showed the Forerunner known as Bornstellar activating the array. The pulse was seen spreading across deep space. It swept across entire planets and star systems, leaving them free of all animal life, as well as the Flood.

"But that is not all the Halos had done. When they fired, the pulse produced an additional effect no Forerunner could have ever predicted. The reach of the Array's pulse extended beyond the galaxy into your worlds by virtue of its unfathomable energy output. But when it hit them, it touched not a single living thing. Instead, it released the Precursors who had decided to hide in those universes. When they were free, they all began meddling in each world's affairs, causing destruction, chaos, and misery in their wake."

Images of the various worlds began playing out in front of everyone. The first portrayed a massive Spire over a darkened city.

"The Precursors in Albion showed the Archons of the Old Kingdom how to build this monstrosity. It was intended to channel enough magical power to make the land of Albion's ruler into a god. Instead it destroyed the Kingdom and unleashed dark Void beings from your world that eclipse even your power, Jack of Blades."

Next, an image of the Earth under nuclear bombardment could be seen. "Ice King, your world was shaped into what is now called Ooo by the Mushroom Bomb. This bomb was introduced to the warring humans of the time by a Precursor to bring about the arrival of the Lich, the greatest evil your world has ever faced."

A new image, this time of Wizards fighting non-magical Humans appeared.

"Voldermort, there was a time when all in your world could use magic. The Precursors manipulated many humans into surrendering their magic in exchange for immortality, which was never granted. After that, Humans would forever be divided between magic and technology. This rift has torn your world apart since."

The next image showed various gods and spirits in combat with one another.

"Jygallag, Daedric Prince of Order. As you are aware, it was the Precursors who convinced your fellow Princes to betray you and turn you into the Mad God, Sheogorath. You lost your once vast, ordered realm to chaos and madness. They were also responsible for the war between the Aedra which had threatened to tear Oblivion, Nirn, and Aetherius apart, and also left the Aedra too weakened to protect your universe from the Precursors.

Then, the image changed to Equestria, as it was during Discord's reign.

"Discord, your reign of Chaos was indeed so, but what was unique was that it was destined to last forever. The Precursors changed that by instigating war among the Daedra and Aedra in your world. This lead to Celestia and Luna being taught by the Aedra how to remove you from power and banish Sheogorath back to his universe. With the Princesses in power, harmony and peace spread across Equestria, but it was only finite. As the Precursors had predicted, Celestia's power in the Elements would fade, rendering Equestria vulnerable to them. If you had stayed in power Discord, the Precursors would not have been able to further their goals in your world, Sheogorath's world, or any of the others!"

"While I do not know the Precursors' specific goals, I do know they can only lead to darkness and despair for all. Perhaps they intend to end all existence as we know it. Regardless, they must be stopped. Now, before I release you all, you must face this great Evil yourself to truly understand it. Prepare yourself!"

The images all disappeared, and the vision changed from light to one of darkness. Darkness as black as the void of space. Suddenly, a deep, impossibly ancient sounding voice issued from everywhere at once, echoing.

"Our urge to create is immutable; we must create. But the beings we create shall never again reach out in strength against us. All that is created will suffer. All will be born in suffering, endless grayness shall be their lot. All creation will tailor to failure and pain, that never again shall the offspring of the eternal Fount rise up against their creators. Listen to the silence. Ten Million years of deep silence. And now, whimpers and cries; not of birth. That is what we bring: a great crushing weight to press youth and hope. No more will. No more freedom. Nothing new but agonizing death and never good shall come of it."

"We are the last of those who gave countless beings breath and form, millions of years ago. We are the last of those you Forerunners defied and ruthlessly destroyed. We are the last Precursors. And now we are legion."

"Now, many echoes of chaos ring across the voids between worlds. Sounds of war, sounds of deceit, sounds of imbalance. In time, all will drink of the sweet ambrosia that is disharmony. Then, after the mighty primordial Elements fall, spent and discarded, then at last our vengeful will shall stand fulfilled. Sweet silence shall reign again, eternal and unbroken."

As the sinister melancholic voice concluded its monologue, it broke into a laugh. The laugh was full of evil and malice, and sounded as if a hundred or more beings were laughing at once in unison. It slowly faded away, decreasing in volume. Finally, the vision itself faded, and everyone could once again see each other and the normal world. All was quiet, but many of the sane beings present could still hear the laughing in their heads.

Almost everyone, even the mightiest of the villains were electrified with some form of apprehension.

The only beings still calm were Librarian, the Princesses, Sheogorath, and Discord.

While everyone else was only shaken or fearful, Didact looked as if he was about to have a heart attack, or the equivalent, in a Forerunner's anatomy. The normally stoic Promethean was literally trembling like a leaf.

The Librarian floated down to approach him. "Be still, my husband. I know your encounter with them was traumatizing, but you must be strong for what is to come. While you may not be a god like some of the other entities here, you alone have the most knowledge of how to defeat the Precursors!" Didact didn't say anything to her, merely instead choosing to sit on the ground, trying to calm his shaking form.

Everything was quiet again, until Sheogorath began clapping. Everyone who had calmed down enough looked at him. He had a bleak smile on his face.

"So I see ya know all about it too, eh Lifeworker? Charming. Positively charming! Ya may have just gone n' made everyone into a bunch o' mental patients. As entertaining as that'd be, it wouldn't make em' very useful for me and Dicord's battle against those Precursors now, would it?"

Celestia shook her head at this. "The only way to properly lead is through honesty, respect and kindness. Manipulating others into following you through deceit or fear only creates fragile alliances that shatter before they can accomplish any real good."

For once, the Mad God was left speechless. When he finally found his voice, he said: "I gotta hand it to ya Tia, ya always were the clever one. Luna, on the other hand, was always the rash, hasty one." He grinned at Luna.

"Enough games Mad God!" Luna scolded.

"Well, you guys just turned our whole original plan on its head, didn't you?" Discord said. "Without the power of the Elements of Harmony, how are we six going to have the strength to get back at those depressing Precursor fellows?" Librarian, seeing the Didact had calmed down, answered Discord's question.

"Simple. You and the Elements of Chaos, rather than steal their power, shall unite with the Elements of Harmony. My Husband, given his experience against these monstrous beings, shall guide and direct all eleven of you."

"What?!" The Mane Six and Villains exclaimed simultaneously.

That brought a rare smile on the Promethean General's face, one of a few ever in his long life. He would finally be able to lead something into battle once again.

Time to set our differences aside, at least for now. Judging by the words of these Ponies' ruler Celestia, I could effectively guess she would do the same in my shoes. Very well. At our hands, the treacherous Precursors will meet their demise. Not even a race of vengeful gods can stop the combined, if contradictory, power of Chaos and Harmony. Could it be, could Friendship truly be a great and conquering magic force? Could it really win out, that I could even come to accept and tolerate Humanity as well? Hmm, maybe I have lost more of my sanity than I care to believe. Didact mused.

"Very well, Librarian. I will side myself with these Equines, and face our true foe."

"Excellent Didact, thank you. But you and your new allies must prepare quickly, for the Precursors are aware of what has happened here. They will soon arrive in Equestria in full force." Librarian said.

"I assume with this union Librarian, that me and my sister will not have to fear danger for our subjects?" Celestia inquired worryingly.

"Mostly Princess, but do take extra precautions in case of an unforseen event. The Precursors are very powerful beings."

"Powerful or not, they thought they could use chaos to defeat us? I am Chaos. Such arrogance spoils my mood, I must say. Let's deal with these let downs, shall we Didact?" Discord declared.

"Yeah, It's about time we show em' what for. Wabbajack is gettin' restless over here!" Sheogorath added. "We shall meet them in battle when they arrive. Just pray that they do not bring the Parasite with them." Didact concluded.