• Published 31st Jul 2013
  • 2,266 Views, 21 Comments

Friendship is Chaos - Word Worthy



Discord teams up with the Daedric Prince of Madness, Halo's Didact, and three other evil beings to steal the Elements of Harmony's combined power for a mysterious intent.

  • ...
5
 21
 2,266

Chapter 1: The Forerunner

Somewhere Within the Everfree Forest:

Finishing his insane tirade of laughter, the mysterious figure paused to think for a moment. The first of his targets had been taken care of and he barely had to make any effort on his part. The Elements of Harmony had seen to that, and now it was only a matter or time before the other pieces of his insane, amusing plans fell into place. He still needed some other vital 'ingredients' though before he could start in earnest.

And now, it would seem the second target was on it's way to him very, very soon. However, he still had to introduce himself to his first guest. The most important one. They had much catching up to do, It had been over 1000 years after all. With one final chuckle, and a stroke of his trimmed beard, he tapped his hands on his ornate cane and disappeared with a wink of light and purple mist.

Mantle's Approach

In Orbit Above North America, Planet Earth

July, 2557 UNSC Military Calendar

"You persist too long after your own defeat." A Promethean Commander sneered. He floated down to behold his hated enemy. The enemy soldier, clad in primitive but powerful green combat armor backed away, then, suddenly aware of the Didact's presence, turned to face him.

"Come then, Warrior. Have your resolution." As the human warrior prepares to fire his rifle, the Didact used his suit's gravity manipulation to bat the soldier aside as if he were a rag doll. Then, Didact noticed an explosive his enemy had brought with him. Primitive as it may be, he understood the threat the fusion-based bomb posed to his ship, and with a flick of his wrist, Didact halted the soldier just as he made a lunge toward it.

Holding the warrior in mid air, Didact floated his enemy towards him. He removed his helmet to regard the Human. "So misguided." Floating the soldier to the edge of the energy bridge, the Didact continued: "Humanity's Imprisonment is a kindness."

The Didact then tightened his fist, forcing the soldier into a stranglehold. That was when a series of strange whispers began to issue from all around him. He looked around bewildered as numerous holograms of a blue Human woman appeared from out of the very energy of the bridge he stood upon.

"In that case you won't mind if we returned the favor." The AI said, her multiple holographic clones speaking simultaneously. Quickly regaining his stoic composure, the Didact responded: "Your compassion for mankind is misplaced."

"I'm not doing this for mankind." She shot back. The AI and her clones then, without warning, leaped into his armor, and using the energy from the hard light bridge, formed shackles to restrain his arms and legs. The Forerunner lost his telekinetic grip on the Human, dropping him.

The Didact then watched almost helplessly as the Human warrior pulls himself back onto the bridge. The armored soldier pull out a pulse grenade into his hand. Seeing this, the Promethean doubled his efforts to try and free himself, but to no avail. Just as the Human plants the grenade on his chest, the restraints on his arms give out, freeing them. Seizing the moment, the Didact once again lashes out at the warrior, attempting to finish him, while his legs are still restrained.

Just then, the grenade detonates. The explosion caused Didact to reel of the bridge, plummeting into the chaotic mass of swirling energy below. As he fell, the Forerunner's mind was a vortex of rage and shock.

How could I have allowed myself to be defeated by such primitive beings, when not even our Ancient Enemy and their allies could stop us? Could it be? I failed in my mission. My Prometheans, please forgive me. I have shamed the Mantle. There is nothing that can be done now except...wait, could it be? Yes! A slipspace rupture, perhaps it holds the key to my escape. I will live to see the Reclamation stopped, the Forerunners will rule the Galaxy again. Librarian, your pets will not stop me again next time! With that final thought, the Didact fell and vanished into the portal, leaving no trace of his former presence behind.

As he floated, or more accurately, plummeted through the twisted dimension known as slipstream space, the Didact couldn't help but hear a strange laughter echoing from all around him. The laughter sounded like it belonged to a very insane being indeed. Even despite being alive for countless millennia, the laugh was enough to make him feel at least a bit uneasy.

Suddenly, the Didact found himself no longer in flight. He came to a stop and floated in midair, or what passes for it in a dimension without a ground, sky or any definable geographic features.

That was when the insane laughter changed to words: "My my, you're certainly taller than I expected. Hmm, but I think you'll do little mortal. I hope ya like cheese, you'll find plenty of it...or maybe ya wont. I have things in store for you ya might enjoy...or...they might just kill ya. I even have some brain pie I might be willing to share, if ya ask nicely. Ah I just love brain pie!"

The Didact couldn't grasp the absurdity of the tirade he just heard. "What nonsense is this? Who are you? Reveal yourself!"

The disembodied voice made a tsk tsk noise: "In due time little mortal, in due time.". With that the voice became laughter once more before finally subsiding. Then, the Didact's world morphed once more, this time covering him in an almost blinding light. Before the light caused him to feel as if his molecules were being torn apart and reassembled, he could have sworn he heard not one but two individuals laughing in unison like maniacs.

Several Minutes Earlier, Unknown Location:

Discord had braced himself for what he thought would be another agonizing imprisonment in stone. He was expecting the feeling of the cold marble and limestone to begin to creep across his body, immobilizing him until he was completely frozen and encased. To his astonishment, it never came. As the light and energy faded, he was instead greeted by a strange bout of laughter from somepony near him. He looked around trying to discern who it was. What was intriguing was how much the laugh reminded him of his own. It was the kind of laugh that belonged to a mischievous and chaotic being much like himself.

He continued to wonder who was laughing, and more specifically why. He also began to wonder where he was. A brief survey of his surroundings indicated he was in some kind of palace, one which reminded him very much of the one in Canterlot, and somewhere else he had been before. "Canterlot, Equestria, those bothersome ponies and their silly friendship." He ended his muttering with an annoyed scoff and again got to work observing the area.

It appeared to be a throne room. Behind the throne was a large tree with exotic crystals on either side of it. Branching off from the tree were waterfalls and fountains, which formed a kind of U-shape around the throne. The throne and decorations were of two opposing tastes and moods: one side of the room was a cheerful red and gold scheme, while the other side was a depressing pale blue, grey, and black.

All around the room there were several plinths with what could only be trophies of some kind. Each one Discord looked at was more bizarre then the last. Then Discord noticed something more intriguing.

The throne was empty.

Just as he was beginning to wonder why the atmosphere of the place seemed so familiar to him, something made him almost jump from shock. "Well Well Well! Lookie here, I see someone's finally pulled themselves out of the stone. Ha Ha, you were stoned! Get it?" The voice paused to let out an amused sigh before continuing: "Discord, we got some catching up to do, ma chaotic old chap!". Discord turned in the direction of the voice.

Oddly enough, standing in front of him was what resembled a middle-aged Human gentleman in a banker's get-up. He was of average build and had very distinctive lizard like eyes with a finely trimmed salt-and-pepper beard. His faced wore a cheerful grin and in his hands was a very ornate staff adorned with frowning, smiling, and grimacing faces which he wielded like a gentleman's cane. His clothes were elaborately designed and matched the color scheme of the room, with one half cheerful, the other half spiky and drab colored.

After getting a good look at the man, Discord's face lit up with recognition. "Ah Sheogorath! The Daedric Prince of Madness himself. Ah, It's been too long."

Discord took one final look around the throne room then said, "I love what you've done with the place."