• Published 13th Jul 2013
  • 6,607 Views, 109 Comments

A Day in the Life - Comet Burst



Big Gala, Sugarsnap and Thundercloud are the three prettiest mares in a Ponyville overrun with stallions. How do they deal with that?

  • ...
10
 109
 6,607

Of Big Gala

"Ya don't need ta be doin' that, ya know," came the familiar voice of an old light green pony sitting at the table.

His haggard orange eyes peeked up from behind the newspaper he was reading, fixed on a very familiar sight to his family. At an ancient cast iron stove stood a red pony with a lengthy dark orange mane and tail. She was quite tall, easily towering over the stove and tilting her head to avoid bumping the vent. A large green apple cutie mark sat emblazoned on her flank, right where her rear leg met her main body, which was ironic considering her name involved nothing green. The only part of her body that was green, however, were her tired eyes that now glanced back at the pony sitting at the table.

"Ah know," she spoke in a soft tone before returning her gaze to the stove and the pot sitting on it.

The older pony heaved a huge sigh before rustling the newspaper, bringing it up to avoid watching her cook.

"Ah see the price of cherries may be goin' up agaihn," he mumbled, eyeing the text.

"Eeyup," the red mare responded before taking the pot off of the stove.

The old pony folded the paper into a tight square as the mare trotted over. He offered a smile as he took a deep breath and smelled the wonderful aroma of breakfast.

"Ah think that might be mah favorite, porridge with some of that there corn and pumpkin ya been growin'."

The mare smiled with the pot still in her mouth and nodded before pouring a bit into the bowl seated in front of the older pony. The thick liquid slopped into the bowl, but refused to leave it in favor of the red and white checkered tablecloth. The mare pulled back and trotted back over to the stove as the green pony took a small nibble out of his bowl, his stomach and tongue eager to taste it.

"Be careful, Pappy," the mare spoke up without looking behind her, "That be some mighty hot porridge."

"Gala, let me tell ya somethin'," the green pony spoke in a slightly more serious tone, "Ah've been here for far longer than most o' the ponies in this town. There ain't nothin' here Ah haven't had happen ta me, including eatin' a meal that just came from the stove. Yer Pappy knows how to eat. I may be old, but Ah sure ain't forgetful like them other old ponies."

A small chuckle escaped the red mare.

"Yes, Pappy." she spoke in a more amused tone.

The green pony nodded before looking back at the bowl filled with porridge, along with two more empty ones on the table.

"Ah reckon Applejack and Applebutter should be a comin' in purty soon. They must be hungry by now," Pappy spoke, looking up from the table to the red mare, who was watching a clock on the far side of wall.

"Five, four, three, two..." she counted softly to herself.

As soon as the final number left her mind, the front door crashed open, causing Pappy to jump.

"Ah told ya Ah'd beat ya here!" came the spry young voice of a colt.

"That's 'cause I gave you a head start!" a more mature voice responded.

"Ah whatever!" the colt called back.

"You colts best be gettin' in here!" Pappy shouted to the doorway on the far side of the kitchen, "Yer sister spent a good half hour on this!"

Hoofbeats echoed around the house and soon, two ponies stood in the doorway, each with bright eyes and wide grins. One was an orange stallion with sparkling green eyes and a worn brown hat resting atop his mane of straw yellow. A few freckles had gathered at the base of his eyes, right where the edges of his smile were. His mane was pulled back into a ponytail which wrapped around one side of his neck.

At his hooves was a small colt of the same straw yellow as the bigger ones mane. His blazing orange eyes were fixed upon the red mare, even as his red bandana around his forehead sagged down onto the top of his eyelids. The mare, Gala, smiled at her two brothers as they made their way over to the table, chatting with Pappy about what he read in the paper. With practiced ease, Gala picked up the still hot pot and served the rest of the porridge to her brothers.

After a quite messy eating competition between Applejack and Applebutter, judged by Pappy, the mare quietly cleaned up the mess as the stallions talked. According to Applejack, it was time to start harvesting the apples on the norhtwestern part of the orchards, a particularly large area. Pappy had some errands to run in town and Applebutter had school, meaning it would be Applejack and Gala who would harvest the apples, not that either of them minded.


Four hours later, Gala silently trotted up to another apple tree ready for harvesting. The juicy red fruits hung from the branches, pulling the boughs down under their combined weight. The red mare slowly chewed on a stalk of hay sticking out of the right side of her mouth, an emotionless expression gracing her face. A new accessory, an old, weather-beaten yoke, hung snugly onto her neck. It looked uncomfortable to wear since it was bigger than her head, but she absolutely loved the yoke the same way her brother loved his hat.

Gala took a couple trips around the tree, noting where the largest clusters of apples were located before setting down two buckets on opposite sides of the tree. Without blinking or even moving her eyes, the mare took a position between the buckets, her back to the tree. She lifted one leg and, without so much as a glance behind her, planted a solid kick squarely in the tree trunk, causing a shiver to run through the branches. As the shiver made its way to the outer twigs, the juicy apples began to fall into the buckets, filling them up well past their tops.

With her same expressionless face, Gala turned to the overflowing buckets and lifted one of them onto her back with practiced ease. The bucket was easily the weight of a full grown stallion, but Gala was much stronger than she looked, a fact many stallions had found out the hard way. When the bucket rested squarely on her back, Gala began to trot off to the carts that were meant to haul the apples back to the barn.

Somewhere in the grove, a couple of familiar voices echoed over to her, causing her right ear to lower slightly. It was evidently Applejack with a couple of his friends, the Elements of Harmony.

"Aw, c'mon AJ!" came the familiar shout of Rainbow Blitz, "I have to have you on my team!"

"Sorry Blitz, but Dusk asked me first," her brother's voice responded.

"Why did you say yes then?! Now I gotta have Butterscotch on my team!"

"What's wrong with 'nother pegasus, then?"

"Have you seen him?! The guy is a total pushover!"

"T-that's not true," came a very timid voice, evidently Butterscotch.

"Oh please!" Blitz answered, "Gimme five bits!"

"Oh, um, I think I have some here..."

A very audible groan and an argument about Butterscotch's self respect later, three ponies emerged from the forest, one cyan blue pegasus sporting a rainbow colored mane, a butter yellow pegasus with the most silly pink mane and an orange stallion carrying a bucket half full of apples. All three stopped and stared as Gala trotted by slowly, carrying her bucket.

"Heya, Gala," Applejack said as he walked towards the carts in the clearing.

"Sup Gala?" came Rainbow Blitz, smoothing back his obnoxiously messy mane, "You're lookin' real nice today."

Gala mentally rolled her eyes at his comment. Blitz was always trying to win over the mares, as few as they were. She had recently become his next target, even though she had only said two words to him the entire time they had known each other. Applejack gave Blitz a scowl, but said nothing.

"Oh, um, hi Gala," Butterscotch spoke softly, almost trying to hide in his mane.

Gala gave him a glance and smiled at the pegasus, causing his cheeks to burn bright red. She knew all of her brother's friends had a crush on her, but they never dared to try anything with her out of fear of Applejack. All except for Blitz, who was always at odds with AJ.

However, Gala's smile didn't go unnoticed by Blitz, who scowled and planted his hoof into Butterscotch's head, who squealed rather loudly.

"Since when did you start talking to mares?" he asked with a hint of an edge in his voice.

"Ow! Ouch! Please stop, Blitz," the yellow pegasus moaned, grimacing.

"Both of ya'll need ta quit it," Applejack spoke up, dumping his apples into the cart, "Mah sister will talk to whoever she whants."

"Eeyup," Gala replied, dumping her bucket as well.

After groaning quite audibly again, Blitz removed his hoof from Butterscotch's crown and crossed his hooves, pouting like a colt while the yellow one rubbed his head slowly. Gala always felt slightly sorry for the scared pegasus and decided to give him a little confidence booster, just because he was cute when he was shy. Before disappearing into the groove of apple trees again, she walked by Butterscotch and whipped her tail in his direction, giving him a smile as Blitz's mouth fell to the ground. The last thing she saw before the endless rows of apple trees was Butterscotch blushing furiously, followed by Blitz attacking him for information about how he was able to charm mares.

Gala chuckled to herself as she kept trotting away farther into the forest. Butterscotch was definitely cute, but in the small puppy kind of way. He definitely wasn't her type, even though he kept trying to strike up a conversation more than four sentences with her. No, he was her brother's friend and an Element of Harmony, an off limits stallion. Her kind of type was a serious and hard working stallion, one who would build a home from the ground up. As the thought of a perfect stallion weaved around her head, the image of the local schoolteacher, Mister Cherry Lee, popped up.

Gala was grateful her coat was red, because she felt a small blush come to her cheeks. Her younger brother, Applebutter, and his friends, Silver Bell and Skater Roo, were determined one Hearts and Hooves Day to find Cherry Lee a mare, regardless of how few there were. Upon finding out Gala didn't have a date for the day either, they promptly hatched a hair-brained scheme to set them up together. The plan was moderately successful, but only after feeding them a love potion. Cherry Lee and Gala wound up nearly marrying each other before the potion wore off, causing quite a stir in Ponyville.

However, Gala had started to wonder since then if she did indeed have some sort of opinion on Mister Cherry Lee. Ever since that day, she was starting to blush every time she thought about him. He was indeed a hard working stallion, saving the local schoolhouse from condemnation and running it alone. Rumor had it that in one of his drawers was a picture of Gala he had saved from that day, something she found rather flattering.

Snapping out of her thoughts, Gala looked around and realized she had passed the tree she was harvesting already. Sighing to herself, she turned around and trotted back to the tree, Whatever her stallion issues were, they didn't matter today. Once she was done with work, she was supposed to meet her best friends, Sugarsnap and Thundercloud, at the local spa.

Author's Note:

Here's the first chapter. There's one for each of my characters, followed by one big scene with them all together.

Hope you enjoy it!