• Published 2nd Jul 2013
  • 5,414 Views, 225 Comments

Two Hearts, Fall Apart - NintendoGal55



Fluttershy switches realities with an alternate Fluttershy while Twilight has to find a way to switch them back

  • ...
18
 225
 5,414

Alternate 8: Truth of the Heart

Hearing the sweet sounds of birds singing outside, it wasn’t long before Fluttershy was roused from her slumber. A soothing breeze floated in, adding further to the comfortable morning environment. She yawned a bit, rubbing her eyes before opening them. For a moment, she felt a strange sense of confusion as to where she was. It wasn’t her bed, or her room.

Fluttershy looked around a bit, realizing that this was Rainbow Dash’s bedroom. Shifting a bit, she tried to make sense of why she was there, especially considering the dream she’d had the night before. A very vivid, strange, but beautiful dream.

Catching sight of colours, she rolled over to see Rainbow Dash asleep beside her. She was curled up, gently cuddling against her side, mumbling something unintelligible in her sleep. Her foreleg was draped over Fluttershy’s torso while her face was hidden partly by the blanket and her mane. Aside from a rare shift or minor tug, the cyan pegasus looked to be at utter peace.

Observing the sleeping pony, Fluttershy smiled and giggled a bit at the sight. “Awwww... So cute...” She said to herself, feeling her heart lifting. ‘Rainbow really is so sweet and tender... when she just lets herself relax. Especially when she sleeps. Oh... I hope she’ll be all right to talk this over, finally...’

The slight giggle was not unheard as Rainbow Dash slowly cuddled closer to Fluttershy, her eyes beginning to open. “...Oh, good morning, Fluttershy...” She spoke with a weak yawn, nuzzling her lover’s shoulder. “Did you sleep well?”

“Mm-hmm,” Fluttershy reached a hoof over to gently stroke her mane. “Did you sleep well, too?”

Rainbow smiled sweetly as she pulled her into a tender hug. “Yes, I did... Better than I have in a long time.”

Smiling lovingly, Fluttershy snuggled back into her lover and kissed her forehead. “Oh, Rainbow... I’m so glad... I-”

Getting a better glimpse at the cyan mare, she could see that her mane was a lot longer, especially in the back with the cooler colours. The soft, tender look in her cerise eyes further added to it...

‘Last night wasn’t a dream... this is another reality... and this Rainbow Dash isn’t... mine... Everything was real... everything...’

As much as it dismayed her, Fluttershy pushed those thoughts away. After all, they were happy together, and there was nothing wrong with that. It would just take adjusting.

“Fluttershy? Are you feeling okay?” Rainbow Dash asked, a little bit concerned.

Snapping out of her thoughts, the creamy yellow pegasus nodded, smiling with assurance. “Of course. I feel... well, I feel amazing. Last night was...” She closed her eyes, leaning their foreheads together. “Awesome.

Rainbow Dash giggled a bit as she nuzzled her nose. “You think so, too? I was a little nervous... but I agree, it was really awesome.

“I was too... I can understand we were nervous...” Fluttershy giggled, smiling brightly. “Oh, it was awesome! Amazing, and just... well, beautiful... Look at you, you’re glowing! My gosh, you look wonderful...”

“I-I’m glowing?” Rainbow quickly asked. “Oh, you mean from... I never knew that it was true what Applejack said that... B-But there’s no way I look half as wonderful as you.”

Fluttershy gave a laugh, kissing her nose. “I’m a mess... you look beautiful.”

“If you look a mess right now, then you look angelic all the rest of the time.” Rainbow Dash cuddled next to her, gently kissing Fluttershy’s check.

“Oh, come on....” Fluttershy kissed her nose, leaning in closer. “Well, speaking of... I wouldn’t mind if we... went again...” She cooed suggestively.

Rainbow Dash felt her wings slowly begin to stiffen from the thought, a blush showing on her face. “You mean, like... right now?”

“If you want to, my Dashie...” Fluttershy blushed as well, feeling her wings beginning to rise.

Rainbow’s mouth opened, but she quickly shut it closed, fidgeting a bit in her spot. “Well, I wouldn’t mind if we did, b-but only if you’re up to it! I wouldn’t wanna make you do it unless you wanted to... That’s not to say I know if you do or don’t, though. Although, I would really like to, still, it’s up to you... u-unless you’re asking me, then I-”

The cyan pegasus was pushed onto her back, gently, with Fluttershy climbing on top of her. With a suggestive, though sweet smile, she lay on her lover, aligning their bodies.

“Does this answer your question, or quell your doubts... my Dashie?” Fluttershy cooed, kissing her face.

Rainbow Dash felt her face heat up, a grin overcoming her face. “Y-Yes, it does.”

Giggling, Fluttershy then flipped them over so that Rainbow was on top. Her hooves ran along her sides, reaching her flank. Tingles of pleasure, alongside anticipation, filled Fluttershy’s being.

“Love me, Dashie... As I will love you...”


Basking within the afterglow, Fluttershy lay back on the bed, just some time after Rainbow had departed to make breakfast. Despite her insistence on helping, Rainbow had assured her that she’d have it taken care of. Whilst she did so, Fluttershy stared up at the ceiling, lost in her thoughts.

‘I suppose.... if nothing else... I’ll just consult Twilight and Pinkamena about all of this... Hopefully they’ll have some answers... But if not... oh well... I’ll just live my life here, and make the best of what I have now...’ Fluttershy thought, glancing out the window.

The sun had disappeared behind an array of clouds, signaling that of an overcast morning. For a moment, Fluttershy realized that this wasn’t her reality, where Rainbow worked the weather.

‘Wow... this will take getting used to...’ Fluttershy thought.

Ripping Fluttershy from her thoughts was the new sound that came from behind her. Rainbow Dash had re-entered the room, carrying a large silver platter with two bowls of cereal, two glasses of milk, and a single orange.

“S-Sorry for the wait, Fluttershy!” Rainbow Dash spoke up quickly as she placed the tray down on the bed. “Fluffy was being a little unreasonable just now, but it’s okay. I asked him to go outside for a little bit.”

“Oh, I see what you mean... Angel was quite the same way back home...” Fluttershy murmured, shaking her head. “Don’t you worry about it, though. It looks delicious!”

Rainbow nodded slightly while she sat down. “Thanks. It’s nothing special, really... Um, who’s Angel?”

“Oh! Um, he’s my bunny from back home... He’s the counterpart of Devil, it seems... He’s much like how you described Fluffy...” Fluttershy explained, proceeding to eat. “Actually, speaking of Devil... I’m going to have to bring him here later.”

Rainbow almost choked on her food when she heard this. “B-Bring him here?! You mean that- I mean, you’re really suggesting what I think you're suggesting?”

‘Oh my... she certainly is a lot sharper than I thought!’ Fluttershy thought, amazed. 'I could just as easily have meant that it was for a pet playdate...’

Heart soaring, Fluttershy smiled warmly as she nodded, nuzzling her lover. “Yes. Rainbow, my answer is yes. I’ve decided to move in with you.”

Rainbow Dash felt her heart soar with excitement, a cringe of emotion so powerful, she could not contain it. She almost knocked over the tray and all that was on it as she tackled Fluttershy onto the bed, giggling wildly and nuzzling against her.

“Yay! I can’t believe it! You actually wanna stay here? With me? Oh, this is so exciting! It’s- it’s awesome! I can send for all of your things! Well, they’re not your things... But I can cook for you and we can spend time together all day! And we can- um, well, I don’t know exactly, but do whatever we want! Applejack likes to go to the spa and we could go there too! Oh, and I could introduce you to all the animals and we could-” Rainbow paused, pulling away a bit. “I’m... getting ahead of myself, aren’t I?”

Shaking her head, Fluttershy brought her down for a kiss, wrapping her forelegs around her tightly.

“Not at all, Rainbow... not at all! It sounds wonderful, amazing!” The creamy yellow pony said with excited sweetness. “We’ll do it, we’ll start our lives together!”

Once more the cyan mare grabbed Fluttershy tightly. “You think so too? This is great! Wonderful! This is- this is just like out of a fairy tale! Oh, I’m sure all the animals will love you! And it might take Fluffy some time, but he’ll get used to you! And I can show you where all my favorite places are! We can even go and buy a few things later too! You know, to help you get settled in! You’d have to be if we decided to get married later... but that’s not a big deal right now! This will be so much fun! Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

“No... thank you...” Fluttershy beamed, kissing her face, feeling tears pool in her eyes. “Yes, we can do all of that! Yes! Thank you, Rainbow... thank you! You’re so kind to take me in, and I certainly can’t thank you enough for that. This is going to be wonderful... We’ll settle in together, we’ll live our lives together... we’ll see where it all goes!” She sniffled, her ministrations along her lover’s face continuing. “And my cottage can still be our own private retreat...”

“That’s sounds wonderful!” Rainbow shouted as she kissed Fluttershy sweetly on her nose. “We’re gonna need to get in contact with Thunderlane so he can help move your stuff over here... but we can do that whenever you want. I just... I never would have dreamed that this would be happening...”

Heart filling with love and joy, the pink-maned pegasus snuggled her mare, kissing her cheek. “I never would have dreamed of this happening either... Maybe... maybe not in the way we hoped... Maybe not in the way we thought it would... but... we can get by... We’ll build a wonderful life together, Dashie... just you and me...” She kissed her lips, lingering. “Maybe one day... we’ll get to say goodbye to... to our friends...”

Tears pooled in her eyes at the thought. It would be painful, but they would get the proper closure...

Rainbow Dash saw these tears and gently brushed them away. “Hey... there’s no need to cry, Flutters. You’ll see your friends again and I’ll see my Fluttershy... I know it might be hard to explain to everyone, but we can do it... I’ll be strong for you... I love you.”

“I love you, too,” Fluttershy said softly, smiling at her sadly. “Rainbow... if... if there is the chance that I do go back, and your Fluttershy wants to come home... If you want to be with her... if she wants you... I’ll understand. I won’t hold you back, I’ll let you go... No matter what happens, I’ll always love you. You’ll always have a special place in my heart...”

To this, Rainbow had no words, nothing she could say would express her feelings. So, instead, she simply held on tighter, cuddling this-her Fluttershy. She buried her head into the yellow mare’s shoulder, not wanting to show her own tears, yet sniffled loudly.

“I love you so much, ‘Shy... I really do...”

Holding her lover tighter, Fluttershy nuzzled into her hair, stroking her head. “I love you too, I love you... And you won’t have to worry about my Rainbow Dash taking me away... she doesn’t love me, anyway... I’ll stay with you either way, if you’ll have me...”

“Then you’ll never ever leave, Fluttershy...” Rainbow snuggled closer. “Of course I want you... and just you. Besides, my Fluttershy was... she’d never feel the same way about me either...”

“...It’s part of why we came together, wasn’t it?” Fluttershy murmured, nuzzling her cheek. “Well, don’t you worry. I won’t leave you, I promise. I made that promise since yesterday, and I’m keeping it. Besides... I’m sure they must be happy together. Roughhousing, flying, racing, playing games... at least they’ll be able to keep up with each other... truly compete... and have more in common...”

Her tone was slightly bitter, but yet, she knew it definitely wasn’t a bad thing. In her heart, if their counterparts were happy, it would be worth it.

“But if they’re happy... I think the least we can do is be happy for them, too. I’m... I’m sure they would be, if they knew we were together...” Fluttershy said, her voice thoughtful.

Rainbow Dash pulled away so that she could see Fluttershy’s as she smiled a bit. “Maybe, but we don’t how things are there... My Fluttershy likes to sometimes be, um, rough and the two... if they really are that similar, might fight a lot... But I think you’re right. The two of them might be really good friends now and I’d like to think they would be happy for us, just like how we would be happy for them or so on.”

“Yes...” Fluttershy nodded, leaning up to kiss her nose. “Oh... can you imagine...if they wanted us back? I know that’s impossible... it really is, but I have to say it would be interesting. Don’t you think?”

“Hmmm... That would be something, wouldn’t it?” Rainbow giggled. “Could you just picture it? The two them ever saying something like that? It would be like seeing Applejack working on her family farm... very unlikely.”

“Or in my case, Rarity working at the farm!” Fluttershy giggled. “‘Oh man, I want my Dashie back! I was such a fool! Oh Dashie, take me back! Forget that Fluttershy, I’m the original! Take me instead!’” She mimicked her counterpart, laughing.

Rainbow Dash started to laugh loudly at this. “That was a pretty good imitation, actually! Let me try...” She sat back, clearing her voice. “Fluttershy! What are you doing?! I’m your Dash! I’m at least twenty percent cooler than that ‘fake!’ Pick me, Flutters!” Unable to hold her own standing, she fell back into a fit of giggles.

Laughing along with her, Fluttershy nuzzled their noses. “Oh, Rainbow! That sounded just like her! Brilliant!”

“You really think so?” She slowly started to calm down.

“I know so,” smiled the creamy yellow pegasus. “It really... would be a huge dilemma, wouldn’t it?”

Rainbow held a thoughtful look for a moment. “I guess if it really happened... then yeah, it would a huge problem. A really crazy one, too.”

They shared a giggle at the ludicrous notion. Why would their counterparts even want them back, let alone feel that way? It just didn’t make any sense.

“Well, I’m not saying it’ll come to pass...” Fluttershy said, shrugging mildly, “But I suppose we would cross that bridge when we got there.”

“If we get there,” Rainbow Dash smiled a bit as she sat back up. “Hey, um, Flutters? Would you want to go walking around town after breakfast? I could introduce you to all my animal friends along the way too.”

Sitting back up as well, Fluttershy nodded as she returned to their breakfast.

“I’d love to, Rainbow... that’d be very nice!”

“Awesome... let’s finish up here and we can go, if you want.”

The two finished up their breakfast, getting set and ready to face the new day, as well as the next step in sharing their lives together.


The sun hung over head at midday. The light poured into the widow of a large building, a bakery. The room was the size of a typical bedroom, but across the floor, stacked high, were a countless number of books, tomes, and manuscripts, all placed in certain locations of conveyance to their owner. Against the wall was an alchemy set placed on a large desk, with a notebook filled with equations, formulas, and notes on different things that lay open.

In a far corner of the room was an average sized bed, striped of most of its coverings aside from a single white sheet and faded pink pillow. On the bed was a pink mare who placed her hind legs against the wall with her head leaning off the bed. Above her head, she held a notepad which listed the facts she had on the situation at hoof.

Her eyes were locked in place, reading over each word over and over again, looking for any connections she had not yet made. ‘Am I missing something? Think Pinkamena... I know the answer’s right in front of me, but I can’t see them. Literally. I’ve never dealt with such a perplexing situation before. What am I not seeing? There must be something I’m overlooking.’

“Helloooooooooooooo!” A cheerful voice sounded from the window.

With a look of mild surprise, Pinkamena placed her notepad down. “Oh, hello Twilight. Is it already lunchtime? Here I thought I had another hour before your break.”

“Nopey-dopey-lopey!” Twilight giggled, flying into the room, landing on the bed to snuggle up to her body.

“I hope work hasn’t been too taxing on you. If so, you can rest after your shift today while I read up on the metauniverse theory.” The pink earth pony spoke sweetly as she looked over her lover.

“It’s okay, Pinkie...” Twilight nuzzled her lovingly. “I’ll be all right when I’m finished with work! But I’ll resties if I gotta.”

Pinkamena chuckled a bit as she resisted the urge to correct Twilight’s grammar. “Very well then. You know I won’t make you do anything against your will and I trust you to know your body’s limitations. So, has Spike sent word to Princess Luna yet?”

The alicorn nodded vigorously, “Yepperoonie-patootie! He did! Sent the letter first thing this morning!”

“Excellent. With any luck, we’ll hear from her before the end of the week.” Pinkamena began to get up from the bed. “Oh, and what of your sister, Gleaming Shield? Her birthday is coming up, is it not?”

Eyes sparkling, Twilight giggled with glee before tackling her back onto the bed again. “You remembered! Oh, Pinkie-Winkie!” She squealed, and proceeded to smother her face with kisses.

Pinkamena chuckled a bit, blushing. “Of course I remember, Twilight. Your kin are mine as well. So, any word of what the Prince plans to do to surprise her this year?”

“Mmm... well, Bolero said he had a couple of ideas! One of them was building her her own water park right in the fields of the Crystal Empire!” Twilight said excitedly, continuing her hurricane of kisses along her lover’s face.

Pinkamena gave Twilight an odd look. “A water park in the middle of the Crystal Empire? Well, that would a rather large surprise... assuming that planning is done correctly and that the natural layout of the land has been considered before construction that is.”

“True...” Twilight said thoughtfully. “You’d have to ask Bolero for the details... if he has any! Another idea he has is that he wants to take her to this big awesome beach resort in the south! Sounds so awesometastic!” She used her magic to make a brochure appear, levitating it down for Pinkie it read.

“Ah, yes. The Arena Dorada Resort.” Pinkamena looked over the brochure. “I’ve heard of it a few times. Very high class, not a common place for most ponies, except for royalty, of course. If this happens to be the place, don’t tell Applejack; she’d have a fit to tag along with them.”

“Hee! I’ll remember that! Gleaming has always wanted to go there, so I bet Bolero will do that!” Twilight winked. “And one day, I’m gonna do that, too! We’ll go together! You and me! On our honeymoon!”

Pinkamena giggled a bit at this, trying to not show her blush. “With the understanding you don’t try to make me get a tan, that sounds wonderful.”

The lavender alicorn nuzzled her nose and kissed it. “I promise, Pinkie! It’s settled, that’ll be our ultimate honeymoon getaway! Nothing’s too good for you! And as your future Mrs. Pie, it’s my job to give you the bestest!”

“Twilight, how could I ever make you do more than what you do now?” Pinkamena gave her a warm smile, staring deep into her eyes. “The simple act of you being by my side is the most wonderful thing I could ask for.”

“...Awww...” Twilight giggled, snuggling more into her. “Me too, Pinkamena! Always!”

Pinkamena cuddled close to her marefriend, giving her a quick kiss to nose. “As much as I would love to stay here and make use of this bed, I am rather famished at the moment. Shall we go and get something to eat?”

“Okaaaaayyy...” Twilight stuck her tongue out playfully, kissing her lips and then getting off the pink earth pony. “But if Princess Luna doesn’t get back to us by the time my shift is over, you’re mine!”

Pinkamena began to head towards the door, placing the notepad on top of a stack of books. “Is that a threat or a Pinkie Promise?”

Winking, the alicorn strode up beside her, placing a wing over Pinkamena’s back. “That’s a Pinkie Promise, my sweet Pinkie-Winkie. Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!”

“Then I shall hold you to it, my Twilight Princess.” Pinkamena teased as she opened the door and bowed in a playful manner. “After you, love.”

“Aw, come on!” Twilight giggled, but stepped through the door and into the hallway anyhow.

Pinkamena chuckled a bit, stepping out into hallway following after Twilight. “I will stop treating you as such once you accept it.”

“Never!” Twilight declared, and rushed off downstairs, laughing.

Pinkamena sighed a bit, tailing after her slowly, whispering to herself, “Then I suppose I will never stop.”

Downstairs, within the subdued look of the bakery, a few ponies sat around at the tables, having their sweet lunches and other such goods. Twilight led the way into the kitchen, passing Mr. and Mrs. Cake as they managed the register.

Finding a table in back of the bakery, Pinkamena sat down. “So, Twilight, was there anything you wanted for lunch?”

“Um...” Twilight tapped her hooves along the table, sitting down as well. “Oooh! Why don’t you pick? You can surprise us!”

“Very well then, how about a basic breakfast spread? Pancakes, omelets, and two glasses of orange juice.” Pinkamena suggested, looking about the establishment. “How does that sound to you?”

Clapping her hooves, the alicorn nodded. “Yes, yes, yes, yes! Sounds yummy! Yummy for my tummy! Make it so, Number One!”

“That, I can do.” Pinkamena grinned a bit as she noticed Mrs. Cake approaching them.

“Hello, girls!” Mrs. Cake greeted cheerfully, giving a giggle. “And what can I get for you two on this lovely day?”

“I don’t suppose a basic breakfast order would be out of the question?” Pinkamena inquired to Mrs. Cake. “I had to skip mine this morning and was hoping that Twilight and I might be able partake in some, assuming the two of you aren’t too busy.” She pointed over to Mrs. Cake’s spouse who was rushing between the counter and the back, smiling the entire time.

“Nonsense!” Mrs. Cake shook her head. “You two little lover birdies just sit tight and we’ll get you two some breakfast! Now don’t you start skipping meals again, young lady! That’s not healthy, but at least now you’ll be fed! Be right back, ladies!” She went back toward the kitchen, winking at the two.

Pinkamena sighed, looking back to Twilight. “It’s hard to believe those two are still trying to look after me, even after all this time.”

“Hee, I guess they just love you so much, like you’re their little baby!” Twilight giggled. “Even though they have the twins now!”

“That’s very true. They’ve been this way for as long as I can recall.” Pinkamena began, shifting in her seat a bit. “It’s odd, don’t you think? How events of the smallest of difference can alter everything in so many lives. Yet, as it happens to us, we claim it’s fate or our destiny.”

Twilight whistled, leaning back in her chair a bit. “Isn’t that the truth! My, oh my, Pinkie! It’s crazytastically weird!”

Pinkamena looked away for a moment, averting her gaze. “Twilight, may I ask you something?”

“Yeeeeess?” The princess leaned over the table a bit, resting her chin on her hooves.

“Would you...” Pinkamena stopped, considering how best to ask her question. “Would you ever consider changing anything about your life? About how things have happened? About... us?”

For a moment, Twilight looked stricken. She lowered her hooves, biting her lip a little, pondering the question. Her smile then returned, despite the moment of looking uncertain.

“No. Maybe there are little things I’d switch around,” Twilight said seriously, shaking her head. “But all in all, I don’t want to change things about my life. Especially not with us... You’re my lovey-dovey sweetie... I don’t want to let you go!” She pouted ever slightly, but the smile remained in her eyes. “I luffles you! You know that!”

Pinkamena gave a weak smile, but nevertheless, a genuine one. “I see. Thank you for being honest with me... and you know I love you as well.”

“Yay! Pinkie-Winkie... You’re the one thing I’d never change about my life,” Twilight pouted. “If some other me switched places like with Flutters... I’d go crazy and try everything to get back to you!”

“I know the feeling...” Pinkamena giggled a bit, reaching over the table to touch Twilight’s cheek. “I could only imagine the insanity I would suffer if the same were to happen to me... or worse. If I was stuck in a reality where the other Twilight was too much like myself... It would be too strange to even fathom it. This is where I am, and this is where I want to be.”

“I do wanna meet that other you!” Twilight giggled. But she smiled, nuzzled into her lover’s hoof, and gently placed her own over it. “But that’s okay, right here is where I want to be!”

Pinkamena nodded with glee. “I’m sure you would. Chances are the two of you would in fact get along rather well. Still, there’s something that’s been bothering me.” Her expression hardened. “Considering that our world lacks an Element of Loyalty and now have two Elements of Kindness, could this cause a problem in the long run if we cannot figure out how to switch to the two Fluttershys back?”

“...Um... I don’t know, Pinkie!” Twilight looked a bit worried. “I hope not! Flutters and Dashie are so sweet together! It’d be saddy-waddy if something happened!”

“I suppose that is true. They are cute, but I can’t help but feel that the two might be entering an unhealthy relationship. At least Rainbow Dash is.” Pinkamena sat back in her chair, rubbing her forehead with her hoof. “With Dash, she always seemed to act like she had a crush on Fluttershy, but never acted on it. Now, there is a new, more approachable Fluttershy here and the two seem to be perfect together... however, Dash is avoiding the real problem of her crush. Although she is technically Fluttershy, she’s not the same one she knew and liked. This could lead to issues if the two do wish to be in a relationship. Then, there’s one other possible ideal that’s got me worried... “

“...What’s that?” Twilight asked, puzzled, with concern creeping into her tone.

Pinkamena gave her lover a serious look, but did her best to remain calm. “I stumbled upon an odd ideal in the multiverse theory. It stated that if something was placed into a new reality or dimension, that universe would try to do one of two things: It would either force whatever it is to fit into that reality, forming it into a shape so that it won’t disturb the flex and flow of that universe; or... it would delete it all together.”

“...Has it been proven?” Asked the nervous alicorn, not liking the sound of this.

Pinkamena shook her head. “No, it hasn’t. Then again, up until now, nopony has ever actually traveled between two dimensions before, so there’s no way of knowing what will happen.”

Twilight nodded, biting her lip nervously. “Okay... But what about Dashie and Flutters? What can we do? They’re sweet... but... what if you’re right?”

At the corner of her eye, she caught sight of the two pegasi in question walking into the bakery. They were practically glued to each other’s side, as well as gazing at one another whenever possible. Fluttershy then indicated to the counter, saying something to Rainbow that they couldn’t make out. Rainbow nodded, saying something in response. They then shared a quick kiss, but still with enough to indicate that it was a lover’s kiss. Rainbow then walked along the tables, seeking one out to sit at.

“Well, at least we know that the two are in fact attending on having a romantic relationship,” Pinkamena sighed, but smiled nonetheless.

Twilight giggled, looking from one pegasus to the other. “They really are so cute! But, wait, what did you mean by Dashie avoiding the real problem with her crushie?”

Pinkamena scratched the back of her head a bit. “How do I explain this... Well, consider this scenario. Let us say you and I were not dating, but you loved me. Now, let’s assume I was, against my will, switched with somepony who looked just like me, but was not me. So, with this in mind, you dated this other pony pretending, in a sense, that this was me. You may even truly love this other pony, but you would be avoiding the problem at hoof. The other pony is not whom you believe them to be, no matter how much you try.”

“...Oh... Oh no!” Twilight realized, looking to her friend again. “We have to do something! We have to tell Dashie! You know how Flutters can make her do anything! We gotta tell her not to do this! She’ll only get more hurt! Our Flutters hurt her enough... we can’t let it happen anymore!”

Pinkamena placed a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder urging her to relax. “I understand your concern, but this is something those two must figure out on their own. If we tell them that this would not work, we would be doing more damage ourselves. It may hurt them, but if this is what they want, they have to figure it out, without outside help. Assuming they truly want to be together, they will need closure of some kind... assuming it is possible to obtain.”

“...But I don’t want to lie...” Twilight pouted, then looked to see Rainbow Dash coming over to them, waving. “She’s coming! Quick, hide!” She ducked under the table.

“Twilight, why are you hiding?” Pinkamena raised her brow as she looked under the table.

Coming back up, the alicorn giggled sheepishly, “No reason! I think it was just the wrong scenario. Oh, hi Dashie! Ooooh! You look pretty today! Is that new makeup? It’s gotta be new makeup! It’s making you glow! Aww, those are cute ties you’re using for your braid!”

As Pinkamena began to contemplate what possible scenario would call for them to hide from their friend, Rainbow Dash approached the two of them almost beaming with joy. “Hi, girls! Oh, and thank you very much, Twilight. Actually, no, it’s not makeup... but I have some wonderful news!”

Both Twilight and Pinkamena exchanged glances, before turning their attention back to the cyan mare.

“Oh? What’s that?! Tell us!” Twilight encouraged.

Rainbow giggled cutely, placing a hoof over her mouth. “Fluttershy actually agreed to move in with me! Oh, um... I mean, at least until you guys figure out how to fix everything that is.”

Undeterred, the alicorn grinned widely. “Wow! That’s so wonderful, Dashie! Hee! You must be so thrilled! We saw you two come in together, and you are just so sweet! Awww! Good for you, and congratulations! We’re going to have to have a housewarming party!”

Pinkamena chuckled a bit at her marefriend’s reaction. “Don’t you think it might be a little late to throw one or those?”

“It’s never too late for a party, you silly bean!” Twilight giggled, nuzzling their noses.

“Hi, girls...” Fluttershy joined up with them, nuzzling Rainbow. “You decided to come here for lunch, too?”

Pinkamena could not help but to giggle a bit at this remark. “Considering that Twilight works here and many of my private books are upstairs, this seemed to be a perfect location, is it not?”

“Yepperoonie!” Twilight agreed, throwing a foreleg around her lover and grinning.

“I see,” Fluttershy giggled, nodding. “Well... I suppose Rainbow told you the news?”

“I did.” Rainbow Dash added quickly, grinning a bit. “I, uh, hope that was okay. I was just really excited to tell them and everything.”

Fluttershy nodded, kissing her cheek, “Of course it was, sweetheart. I understand.”

Pinkamena looked over the two, more so Fluttershy, before smiling yet again. “Well, congratulations, you two. I know it can be hard living on your own, so I can understand the decision.”

“I think it’ll help,” said Fluttershy, giving a dreamy smile toward her lover. “I’m all alone in this world and do need some help... It’ll feel a lot better with somepony by my side.”

“Awwwww! That’s sweet! That was very nice of you to give her a place to live, Dashie!” Twilight smiled, giggling.

Rainbow Dash blushed a bit, stepping closer to Fluttershy’s side. “I-It wasn’t anything too special... My house is more than big enough to accommodate both of us. Plus, Fluttershy likes working with animals too, so living with me is more convenient for her to find work as well.”

“Oh! Flutters, that’s right! Our Fluttershy worked for the weather team!” Twilight remembered. “You’ll have to do something about that!”

It dawned on Fluttershy then, her eyes going wide, “Oh... oh no! I can’t just quit... that would leave the other Fluttershy with no job... if she ever came back...”

“I wouldn’t worry too much about it, Fluttershy,” Pinkamena nodded a bit, “I know the weather team captain and she owes me a favor for assisting her with her sister when she fell ill. I can explain the situation to them, or at least to some extent, and make some sort of arrangement. So, don’t stress over it.”

“...Well, all right,” said the creamy yellow pegasus, looking relieved.

“Uh-huh! Don’t you worry about a thing!” Twilight assured, winking at her. “Dashie can support you until you find a job! She has a lot of money from when she was a model!”

“T-Twilight!” Rainbow Dash almost shouted in shock from her friend say that.

Pinkamena smiled a bit, brushing away a few strands of hair from her eyes. “Oh, yes, that is correct. I do believe the modeling agency paid her very heavily for her short time there.”

“P-Pinkamena! You too?!” Rainbow pulled back, freezing up with a mixture of emotions.

Fluttershy looked at the cyan mare with surprise, overcome by this new information. If anything, it made them kindred spirits all the more. She smiled, kissing her cheek, “Wow, Rainbow... That’s amazing. I... I was a model, too...”

Rainbow Dash blushed a deep shade of crimson red from hearing the complainant. “R-Really? I guess it shouldn’t be a surprise that you were a model... you’re absolutely beautiful.

Fluttershy blushed immensely, hiding behind her mane a bit. “Th-Thank you, Rainbow... You’re beautiful, as well... I see why you were a model...”

“Hee! Do you two love birdies want to be alone, now?” Twilight snickered. “I think your food’s coming, and so’s ours!”

“O-Oh, I think you’re right.” Rainbow looked over to see Mrs. Cake returning from the kitchen.

The two pegasi headed to a nearby table, bidding waves to their friends. Soon they all had their meals placed on the table, finally digging in. It was fairly silent between both pairs for a bit, especially with Twilight and Pinkamena. A lot was going on through their minds, most especially what they’d been discussing earlier on.

“Pinkie? I think I know why Dashie was glowing! Because Flutters was, too!” Twilight said, keeping her voice low. “They were making love!”

Pinkamena almost choked on her drink at the term, but forced herself to swallow it down. “You mean intercourse? By Luna, I do believe you’re right... It would explain Rainbow Dash’s mood.” She contemplated this for a moment, before looking over at the two pegasi, “I have a feeling this is only going to make things even more complicated than they already were, Twilight.”

“Why? Because now they’ll be too attached to each other?” Twilight asked, puzzled. “Fluttershy isn’t a stallion, she wouldn’t have made Dashie pregnant or vice-versa!”

“I suppose time will tell, Twilight.” Pinkamena spoke softly, looking over Twilight. “As it stands, we have no idea what will happen. So, we must wait and see.”

Twilight gave a nod, smiling. “Okey-dokey-lokie! In the meantime, we’ll wait for Princess Luna to get back to us and get to the bottom of this whole multiverse stuff!”

Both ponies continued to eat their brunch, while occasionally looking over to the two pegasi. As happy as they were for them, they couldn’t help but wonder just what kind of complications were going to arise. There was clearly some unresolved tension with their respective best friends, most especially between this reality’s Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy.

Still, they only hoped that they could get through it all.


Later on, after lunch, Fluttershy headed over to her counterpart’s cottage. While none of her own personal belongings were there, she did want to at least take a few things with her to have on hoof. Most especially Devil Bunny, which had been the main reason she was doing that in the first place.

Along with her was Rainbow Dash, offering to come and help. Fluttershy accepted this, and couldn’t help but wonder if it was also an excuse just to be within her crush’s home. Nonetheless, they were prepared to get whatever she needed and get her settled into Rainbow’s home. Soon to be their home.

They were greeted by an excited Devil, who especially seemed to take a shine to Rainbow; since he was happily hugging her foreleg and accepting her nuzzles. Fluttershy couldn’t help but find it a silly contrast to the way Angel and Dash were more like mutual respected enemies back home.

While in the bedroom, Fluttershy was searching through the drawers for some clothes and socks that she could wear. But that was when she spotted something under the bed.

‘What’s that?’ She thought, pulling it out. ‘I probably shouldn’t go through her things... that’d be wrong! But what’s in it? I wonder if it’s anything I could use...’

Fluttershy pulled off the lid of the box, removing a few sheets of paper off, and came to see a big surprise. Inside the box were a few magazines. The one on top was a fashion magazine, displaying a shy and terrified-looking Rainbow Dash wearing a formal ball gown.

“...Oh my...” Fluttershy murmured, wide-eyed. “...She’s beautiful...”

She looked over the magazines, seeing that all of them featured Rainbow on the covers, dressed in all kinds of outfits. One of them was even a summer issue, targeted for swim gear. Fluttershy felt stunned as she saw all of these, exactly reminiscent of her own experience as a model. One of them was a special feature, with 25 glossy prints of her... and by the looks of how worn it was, Fluttershy could only surmise that her counterpart looked at this one a lot.

Also in the box were a couple of notebooks and newspaper clippings. The notebooks, she found, were journals. One of them labeled as a Dream Journal, the other simply being a private journal.

‘No! No! I can’t snoop! This isn’t mine! ...Well, if she never comes back, it won’t matter, right? No! I can’t think like that! No! ...Okay, just a peek... just a little peek. I can tell them it’s just my way of getting to know how she acts around here and being able to work things out... Which is kind of true, anyway... Okay... I’ll just read a couple of pages. That’s all. Just to get to know her a little.’

Fluttershy first picked up the Dream Journal, which really caught her attention. She turned to a page, reading it over.

Dream log 122

Sheesh, has it really been one hundred and twenty two dreams? I figured I would need a new of these by now. Well, you know the deal, Journal, so let’s record this dream. Just a warning though, it was... different, but in a good way, y’know? And in a bad way, too. Why am I talking to you again? It’s not like anypony other than me is ever gonna read you anyway....

The dream started off normal (or at least as normal as a dream for me could start XP), I was in the Cloudsdale Coliseum with thousands of ponies from all over filling the stands. There were even a few Griffons too! Friggin’ stellar, right? Anyway, I was in the middle of my run, and everything was going perfect, and I do mean perfect.

Spitfire was all slack jawed, Soarin’ died of an overdose of ‘awesome,’ and the audience was eating out of my hooves! Everything was so right! Everything! Then... then it happened.

I was about to do my showstopper, you know the one, right? Of course you do, it was one of the first things I ever wrote about. I was going so fast! So fast the color faded out of everything! The colors faded away... Actually, everything faded away. The world just turned white. Pure white. With nothing in it but me.

Then, I saw her. Rainbow Dash. She was the only thing of color in that place. And she was... beautiful. I can’t think of any other word I can use to describe her. Where she stood, in the white nothingness, was a world of color. It was breathtaking to say the least.

She was smiling at me. She motioned for me to come closer to her. Why? I don’t know, but there was a warm feeling I felt just looking at her. It was so... blissful? Is that a word? Well, even if it’s not, that’s how it felt.

I tried to move closer to her, reaching out my hoof, but Rainbow Dash seemed to drift farther away. Every step, flap, beat of my wings pushed her and that wonderful world of color away. I struggled and fought to go faster! I had to! She was beckoning! She wanted me. No, I wanted her...

I shut my eyes and the world of white faded into black. Absolute darkness. I heard something, somepony shouting off in the distance. My eyes were closed. I tried to open them, but couldn’t. I wanted to, but I just...

I felt something underneath me and it was so soft and warm, and it just made me feel safe. I had to see it. I forced my eyes open and...

I saw her. Rainbow Dash.

Covered in blood.

I had crashed into her, going faster than any normal pony could even imagine. I... I can’t describe how she looked. Broken, scared, bleeding, maimed, and... I can’t say it. I just broke. I was screaming and crying.

I felt something touch my face. It was Rainbow Dash’s hoof. Even after what I did, she asked me if I was all right. Me. I lost it. All my control. I apologized for everything.

All the things I did wrong.

All the neglect.

All the lies.

All the times I let her down and hurt her.

Everything.

Then, she kissed me. Me. After all the things I did to her.

She kissed me and said “I forgive you.”

And then... She died. She died right there in my hooves...

That’s when I woke up, screaming. I’m sure you heard that (assuming you have ears, Journal). I admit, that dream scared me more than any other I ever had, but it made me realiz something. As much as I care about Rainbow Dash... as much as I love her... all I’ll ever do... is hurt her...

Stricken, Fluttershy felt her heart seize. What a dream that had to have been, especially with what she came to realize with it. But of course it answered a few questions, despite how horribly sad the dream was, and even how her self-doubt reflected from it.

She flipped back some pages, looking at any earlier entry she could find, maybe getting more answers in terms of her dreams.

Dream Log 79

Oh buck, Journal, do I have one heck of dream to record this time! Seriously, this one was friggin’ great! Definitely one of the best I’ve had, maybe even better than the one about me getting into the Wonderbolts! Hm, nah; this is better. XD

Anyway, you know how I was talking about my last dream and the whole thing with Twi’s sister? Yeah, it’s related to that, kinda.

So, there I was, standing in the middle of the grand chapel (the one in the Crystal Empire, not in Canterlot in case you’re wondering) with most of my friends. To be honest, I was a little dazed at first, not knowing where I was or anything. When I saw that it was the grand chapel, I just thought it was us going to see the after party of the wedding (go read page 322 of my other journal if you wanna know about that, Dream Journal XP As if you could read!) and cut loose!

But then, I noticed something. The columns were full of ponies from my family and the others I couldn’t tell. Pinkamena was standing in front of a large book behind the altar (is Pinks really a pastor? Eh, remind me to ask, ‘kay?) smiling down at me. Twilight was running up and down, throwing flowers all over the place... so that seemed legit. Applejack as crying about something, Luna only knows what. Seriously, she was crying on Luna’s shoulder. And Rarity was just chilling out beside Pinks, grinning and stuff.

But hold on a second here, Where’s Rainbow Dash? I didn’t see her. I looked around a few times, but I didn’t see her anywhere. Then Pinkamena was telling me to step forward. Well, I didn’t know what was going on and she’s most sane pony I know (as long as her hair doesn’t go all frizzy, then you should run. Fast.) and I figured she could tell me what was up.

I walk up there and music starts playing. You know, the sappy, wedding type music. Then, it hits me like Thunderlane when he’s delivering the mail on Sunday (think about it XD). I’m in a dress/tux thing. I’m at my own freaking wedding! But, who am I marrying? Why? I don’t remember agreeing to any of that!

When I looked back, my mind went dead. I saw Rainbow Dash-my Rainbow Dash, wearing the single most amazing dress ever. But it wasn’t just the dress, she was practically glowing, no, radiating beauty. She was an angel, just absolutely perfect in every single way.

Rarity started to speak behind me saying something like “lucky you” or whatever. That didn’t matter though. I was completely focused on Rainbow Dash. Every move, every step was elegance incarnate (wow, fancy terms? I’m getting better at this!). When she reached the altar, she turned to face me, smiling in a way that it makes your heart just melt.

I heard Pinkamena began to say “We’re gathered here today, blah, blah, blah,” and so on, but I just couldn’t take my eyes off of Rainbow Dash. I was just so lost for words. I am even now, for crying out loud! I just... She was perfect. Period.

“You look wonderful,” I heard her whisper. I just nodded up and down like an idiot. I was gone. I was gone to a far off place of rainbows and butterflies and I was loving every second of it.

Then, the vows. Oh, the vows. I wish I could remember all of what Rainbow Dash said, but it was just the sweetest thing you ever heard!

When I was turn all I say was “What she said. Times infinity...”

I felt stupid for it, but the way Rainbow smiled at me and even laughed, it made me grin like an idiot. She was still touched, so score one for me!

Then came the rings (well, wedding bands. But seriously, who’s gonna complain about terms at a time like this?). Rarity slugged me in the shoulder and dropped the rings in my hooves without a word. Of course, at this point, Applejack was crying about how beautiful everything was and bleh, who cares?! This is my dream about my wedding to the greatest mare in the whole freaking world! You wanna hear about AJ? Go read her diary or something! I bet you she has one!

Finally, we got to the best part, where Pinkamena said, “You may now kiss the bride.”!

Oh, I didn’t waste a second after that! I just took my bride into my hooves, dipped her back, and kissed her for all she was worth. It was AWESOME! It felt so real! She didn’t even cower or hesitate, she just kissed me back! I could hear the crowd cheering, but I barely cared. All I could feel, see, and hear, was the two of us. All I felt were Rainbow’s sweet, soft, candy lips. I’m not even sure how long it lasted, but when we finally pulled away... She just looked at me with this big, heart-stopping smile.

Then? Then I picked her up bridal style and carried her out, of course! Oh, geez! I could go on forever about what we did for the Honeymoon! But’s since I think you’re... what? 6 years old, Journal? I don’t think you’re ready for that kind of writing! So, ha!

As much as Fluttershy wanted to roll her eyes at that last part-she still felt touched. It was beginning to be apparent that her counterpart did indeed have feelings for Rainbow Dash, whether or not she was admitting it.

“Wow...” She murmured, placing the Dream Journal on the floor after flipping through a few other entries. “I wonder what her actual journal says...”

Fluttershy pulled the journal out, inspecting it curiously. She turned to the latest entry, which happened to date back two days ago.

Journal Log 379,

I went to the Butterfly Migration yesterday. Of COURSE, Rainbow Dash asked me to go, why else would I have even gone in the first place?! You’re so dense sometimes, Journal. That’s not cool.

I’ll be honest. It was boring. Yet, actually, kinda cool. I don’t even know why I go to these things, and yet, I also remember why I do. Those butterflies are all flying off like geese going south. So many colours and sizes, how’s that not kinda cool?

Besides, Rainbow really enjoys it. It’s actually kinda adorable to see her happily watching them fly by. Sometimes she even looks through her binoculars. In fact, there’s a photo right here! I clipped it in!

… Aw crap, I just realized that the camera caught me staring at her flank! Damn you, camera!

Meh, I’m still keeping it. Anyway, normally whenever we go to the Migration, it’s pretty much just us, relaxing, watching the bugs, and me seldomly drifting off to sleep (and thinking about a few other things I would rather do), but this year was different. Way different.

I’m not even sure how it happened, either. One minute, we’re just laying there on the grass, and then Rainbow just... Yeah, she came and snuggled. Snuggled! Not gonna lie, Journal, I think I had the goofiest smile on my face when she did that. Hope she didn’t see it...

Nah, I’m sure she did. After all, she never did whenever we got like that. To be honest, I think that’s why I don’t snuggle with Rainbow more often, I don’t want her to see me looking all cuddly and junk. It wouldn’t be right, would it? Okay, maybe neutral, but not right.

So, there we were, just laying there, all cuddled up and stuff. Rainbow Dash sure did look cute in my hooves. More so even when the wind picked up and she started to shiver a bit. It was downright adorable to see her nuzzling against me the way she did. It was... nice. Really, really nice.

Then I had to go buck it up...

“I could hold you all day,” I’d said, and sadly, I didn’t sound cool or confident when I did. I just sounded... cutesy. Oh, and she heard me all right. Crystal clear. But, she didn’t react the way I thought she would. I figured she’d get all spastic or start hyperventilating or something. She didn’t.

Instead, she just cuddled into me more, and nuzzled my neck. She didn’t even say anything. All Rainbow did was... cuddle. More cuddling. Yup, she definitely heard me, and she definitely felt happy hearing it.

While it lasted, it was awesome. D’awww.... my sweet Dashie.

My eyes drifted down, I wasn’t even watching the butterflies anyway. I was only there for the same reason I went every single year. Her. Rainbow Dash. And here we were, cuddling up close, snuggling and... warm. I was really warm. Then, it happened. I slipped up bad. I was staring right at her, smiling when she looked up at me.

“What are you looking at, Flutters?” she asked me in the sweetest tone you could ever think. My mind went blank. Stupid. Held up a picket sign that read ‘I quit!”

“You...” I told her the truth for once. I was looking at her. Right at her. Only her. If my face wasn’t crimson red, then I must have turned purple with embarrassment.

She blushed too, y’know? But in a more cute, sweet way. She looked really surprised, too, but I guess I would’ve been, too, if I was in her horseshoes. Then she got really cuddly, moving closer to face like... like...

Like she wanted to kiss me.

It was all at once, every single muscle in body worked against this moment. I pushed her off, turning away and started shouting.

“What the buck do you think you’re doing?! I was looking at you because you were in the way! I couldn’t see anything!” I snorted. “And stop calling me Flutters! I’m not a damn baby!”

I know I must have sounded like a jerk, probably looked like one too with my back to her and all, but I did it so she couldn’t see my face. I was freaking out. Panicked. Scared.

Yeah, I admit it. I was scared of that moment. Of actually letting myself love her. I can’t do that. I won’t. I know how it will end. I’ll just hurt her, just like every other time. That’s all I’ve ever done...

I told her I was gonna leave early, that the weather team needed me for something and... I just left her there. Alone... Again.

Why do I keep doing that?! Why? Every single time I try to do what I think is right for the both of us, I just end up hurting her. Even when I’m trying to avoid hurting her! Gah, stupid Rainbow Dash! Why do you have be so different from me?! Why can’t... Why can’t you be a little tougher? A little more strong? Then, I wouldn’t have to worry about hurting you! If it didn’t work out, fine! We’d still be friends! Maybe even better friends! Heck, we might even still fool around with one another! But no... You’re soft, delicate, graceful... everything I’m not. I don’t want to hurt you. To lose you again. I did that before and look what it got me. A bad attitude, a few piercings and no real friends... I bucked up and I’m doing it all over again...

I think it might be the differences that make me so drawn to her, though. She’s like, the other half of me, I guess. She’s the one who’s always stuck by me, even when I was wrong. Always cared about me when nopony else did... Buck, I moved to Ponyville just to be near her! I... I missed her.

Yeah, better half would be a better choice of words...

So, yeah. That’s what happened... I screwed up big time and chances are she hates me now. Not that I blame her. I kinda hate myself right now, too.

Anyway, I heard of this “emotional release” thing that’s supposed to help with stuff like this. Normally, you write an Angry Letter and don’t send it. Well, I’m gonna write a Love Letter and never send it. It’ll be a long, sappy, sweet letter and I’ll get everything off my chest once and for all. Then, I’ll hide it under my mattress so if I ever start feeling like this again, I’ll just read it and add stuff to it...

So, that was my crap-tastic day... What about you, Journal?

… Why do I even bother asking you? You never reply.

Hooves shaking, Fluttershy stared at the pages with wide eyes. It was hard to take it all in, but there was no turning from it. A lot of what she was wondering had been in there. Especially as she flipped through it and skimmed a few more entries. Every moment she did, it got her increasingly upset, as well as more protective. Try as she may, all Fluttershy could feel was anger.

Trembling, fighting back tears, she slapped the book shut and tossed back into the box. “You heartless, lying WENCH! I will make sure you never go near Rainbow AGAIN! Ever! You stay away from her!”

Breathing hard, Fluttershy leaned against the bed for support, trying to calm herself. Her blood boiled, unable to quell, as her stomach churned. Everything she’d just read was a mixture of angering and yet heartbreaking. For both of them.

She stared at the box again, wondering what could be done next. Let Rainbow Dash see them? To finally know the truth? Or should she hide them away so as not to hurt her further? Did it even matter?

‘No... I have to show her... She can at least... get some closure... She may not like it... but I’ll be here to help her...’ Fluttershy thought.

Rushing into the room, Rainbow Dash locked eyes with Fluttershy for a moment before speaking. “Fluttershy? Are you all right? I heard screaming and...”

Looking from the box to Rainbow, Fluttershy tensed. She looked around, as if trying to find a better answer, but there was none. There was only the truth. Her heart sank, as she could only imagine how much this would hurt the other pegasus. The last thing she wanted was for her to be even more hurt, especially considering how it would happen. But at the same time, she wanted her to know the truth. At least, if nothing else, one of them would have the truth. She herself probably never would, but Rainbow would.

Fighting back tears, Fluttershy shook her head. “No... Rainbow... I-I found that box... under her bed... I think you should take a look... I-I’m sorry... for what you’re about to find... I just... think you have the right to know...” She managed, her voice breaking.

Rainbow looked over at the box curiously, walking over to it. “What’s in it, exactly?” Kneeling down, she picked up one of the two books and flicked it open to the first page. She didn’t hold it for long however, as she quickly placed it down, looking somewhat fearful. “T-These are- they were Fluttershy’s... Oh my.”

“They are... It’s okay, you can read it... I-I did...” Fluttershy went over to the box, and carefully brushed aside the notebook covering the magazines, revealing them. “And there’s these, too.”

“Why would she... even have these?” Rainbow asked quietly to herself. She opened the other notebook and quickly placed it down as well. “I... I don’t wanna read it. I can’t.”

“You have to, Rainbow... I-the letter!”

Fluttershy went back over to the bed, lifting the covers aside and then lifting the mattress up. Sure enough, there was a letter beneath it. Pulling it out with her wing, Fluttershy lowered the mattress back down, and then looked it over. The envelope was pink, had Rainbow Dash’s name written across it in red ink, surrounded by a couple of hearts. It smelled sweetly of the same perfume she’d smelt on Rainbow, and it was sealed with a kiss.

At the cyan mare’s questioning gaze, Fluttershy brought the letter over to her.

“Here. Her journal said that she had this for you... I-I just... had to be sure.”

Rainbow Dash took the letter from Fluttershy, her hooves trembling. She looked over it a few times, trying to read the envelope. Carefully, she undid the seal and held the paper up to read it. She could not hold back the tears in her eyes as she flung the paper, fell into Fluttershy’s shoulders.

“I can’t! I can’t read it... I don’t want to know...” Rainbow cried, her wings twitching. “Please, don’t make me read it... I just- I want to forget...”

Taking the letter, Fluttershy decided to investigate it for herself. As much as she now would’ve preferred to just stop, she’d come too far to do that. Already her curiosity was getting the better of her, and she just wanted to get it over with one last time.

“I’ll read it. And then we can just get the rest of what we need and go. We won’t have to speak of it ever again. I promise... Okay?” Fluttershy said softly, looking at her with sympathy.

Rainbow sniffled a bit, trying not to cry any further. “O-Okay... you can read it.”

Nodding, Fluttershy looked back down at the letter, reading it carefully.

To my pretty little Rainbow Dash,

First off, I want to say this was the single most difficult thing I have ever done. Just trying to find the right words to explain the way I feel about you was almost impossible and I still feel like this letter isn’t enough either. I only hope that what’s written here will one day make sense...

As perplexing as this may sound, I’m in love with you, Rainbow Dash. No, that’s a lie. There’s nothing perplexing about it at all, is there? I have been, since, well, as long as I can remember, and I know I will most likely always love you. No matter what. I love you.

In a way, I don’t understand why I love you, but at the same time, it makes perfect sense to me. You’re you. You’re Rainbow Dash. The kind, gentle, shy, loving, beautiful, oh I could just go on and on forever, but this paper doesn’t, so let me sum it up. Perfect. You’re perfect in every single way.

And that’s why I’m afraid to love you. Look at me. I’m a horrible friend. I lie, cheat, and break the rules. I’m rough, crude, and loud. I’m not worth your love... I’m not even worth your friendship.

All those times I hurt you... I swear, I didn’t mean to. I never wanted to hurt you, ever. You’re important to me, Rainbow, you always have been. But...

...I always end up hurting you. Every time I try to do better, try to show that I really do care, that I want you, I end up fighting against it. Why? There’s a list of reason, really.

First, there’s my accursed pride. I don’t want to admit that I love you, even if I know I do. It’s weird, I know, but it’s like I think others will think differently of... you. I could care less what they think about me, but you? I’d beat the living tar out of anypony, or anything capable of talking, that bad mouths you. You deserve better than that.

Then, there’s my fears. Yes, I’m afraid of something and you know what it is? I’m afraid of hurting you more. Of you not loving me. Of you rejecting me like the rest of the world. Of losing you again...

Dear Luna, you have no idea how much that last one frightens me. I regret leaving you behind in Cloudsdale all those years ago, I swear I do. Every day I was gone, I worried about you so much. I would dream about you a lot too. Enough to start up a Dream Journal. Some of them were nice, others were nightmarishly horrifying, but all of them made me realize how much I missed you.

I know you’ve asked me before why I moved to Ponyville and now you know. I moved here because of you. I needed to see you again. To see if you were all right or not. I had to, or else I would have gone insane!

And look at you now... You’ve gotten even more beautiful than you were before. It amazes me you haven’t dated before or not married off yet. These ponies have no idea what an angel looks like, because that’s what you are. An angel.

And look at how I’ve treated you. I’ve been acting just like that jerk, Gil the Griffon. I make you do things you don’t want to do. I tease you. I yell at you sometimes when I’m angry. I’m no better than a bully... and I know it.

And yet, you still want to be around me. Why? After all the things I’ve done, you still ask me every year to go with you to the Butterfly Migration. You still invite me over to your home once a month. You still hug me every time we met. Why?

I’m a horrible friend. Worthless. I don’t even deserve to be near you, but you insist.

You should hate me, but you don’t.

If I were you, I’d hate me. I’d have left town and never came back, went and got married to a nice mare or stallion who’d loved me like a real pony and never want to see me again. But here you are, still beside me... caring about me... being there for me... and all I do is hurt you.

I guess, a part of me is happy you don’t hate me, however. It gives me this false sense of hope. That maybe, just maybe, you can love me too, even after all the things I’ve done wrong. I know it’s impossible for that to be true and I’m sure one day you’ll find your real soul mate. I’ll be there, too, happy for you, but I know a part of me will die inside. I’ll wish it was me and not them and hate myself even more than I already do.

I want to love you, Rainbow Dash, but I know I’ll just hurt you again and I won’t do that. I want you to be happy. I know I can’t give you that, however much I wish I could.

Bleck, I’m not any good at expressing myself with all these fancy words, so I’ll make this as simple as I can: I love you and I always will, but I know I can’t. So, I’ll always be here on the sidelines watching after you, Rainbow.

So... I guess that’s it.

With all my love and heart sealed with this letter,
Fluttershy

P.S. If... If by some chance you ever really do read this letter, Rainbow Dash, just know that I truly am sorry... for everything. And that no matter what was said or done... I will always love you...

Fluttershy had no words as she read the letter. Not once, but three times. Just to take it all in, not merely because of its length. Everything about it was not just a love letter, but a chance of redemption she would never take. She didn’t even know her counterpart all too well, having had nothing but the fact that she was more like her own Rainbow Dash. But this just told her so much more than she expected, making her come closer to understanding.

In a sense, she was seeing the inside of the other side. Seeing her own Rainbow Dash, but in a different sort of way, and not exactly a clone.

She felt moved, saddened, sympathetic, and intrigued. Fluttershy could now see just how much of a complex pony the other Fluttershy truly was, especially when it came to her love for this reality’s Rainbow Dash. Her eyes continued to scan the letter while they pooled with tears.

‘Oh my gosh...’ Was all she could think.

Looking up, she saw that Rainbow was no longer sitting across from her, right at the box. A slight movement from behind indicated a presence, to which Fluttershy looked over her shoulder. Rainbow sat there, just barely behind and next to her, having been reading the letter over her shoulder. It was obvious, the fact that she was close enough to see the words, and the stricken look in her eyes said everything.

“...Rainbow...?” She managed, her voice breaking.

Rainbow turned away, shaking her head slowly. She read it and didn’t know in any way how she should feel. She was conflicted with an array of emotions, most she could not understand. Quietly, she walked over the bed and rested her head on it, sobbing silently into the bed casing.

Placing the letter back into the envelope, then into the box, Fluttershy sauntered over. She came behind Rainbow, gently wrapping her forelegs around her middle and laying her head on her back. She kissed the back of her neck, along the remnants of her mane, holding her gently. Her heart broke at the sight of her sweet lover crying, especially given what the letter had said. However, it wasn’t even just that. The fact that the other Fluttershy was now likely never to come back had to have been all the more taxing. Feeling her stomach churn, the creamy yellow mare held her a little tighter.

“It’s okay, Rainbow... you can let it out... I can imagine that this must be hard for you...” She whispered, tears pooling down her cheeks.

Rainbow turned a bit, enough to look at Fluttershy, with tears running down her face. “Why? W-Why wouldn’t she have sent the letter? If I... If I had known just... just a little sooner, then...”

“...Then what?” Fluttershy prompted, sniffling a bit.

“Then this wouldn’t hurt so much...” Rainbow tried to answer, her voice fading. She cuddled closer to Fluttershy, just wanting to feel the warmth of anything, as she felt oddly cold. She did not want comfort, she needed it.

Fluttershy held her closer, kissing her head and stroking her back. “I’m sorry you had to find out this way... I found the box by accident, I was curious, and I let it get the better of me... I’m sorry... I thought... you knowing the truth, that she loves you... would be good... and yet I knew it wouldn’t be without pain. I’m sorry, my sweet Dashie... I’m so sorry...”

Rainbow Dash could not find a voice to reply with. She wanted to say something, anything, but could not. She could only weep for a love that she believed she would never know. And for a friend she felt she would never see again.

All Fluttershy could do was hold her, comfort her as best she could. Despite that her own sorrows were catching up to her. Not just for herself, but for the broken mare in her hooves.

‘Poor Rainbow... She knows the truth... and yet it doesn’t even help... Everything is just heartbreaking. Now she may never see her again... her best friend, the one pony she loves more than anything... All she has now is me. A replacement. A clone. A nicer version. I can love her and give her what she wants, but I can’t be the same pony she knows... Just as she can’t be the Rainbow Dash I remember... Yet, what can we do? What can be done?’

The only solace in any of it was knowing that her counterpart did love Rainbow, so much, that she couldn’t bring herself to say it. But even that didn’t matter now.

“I won’t leave you alone, Rainbow... As much as it would be best if we parted ways... I can’t... and I won’t. I won’t leave you alone like this...” Fluttershy promised, kissing her forehead, still crying herself. “And I still love you... I-I’m not the Fluttershy you know, and I can’t be... All I can do is be me, and love you... I’m only sorry if that’s not enough... But I love you. I hope you know that I truly love you...”

Rainbow nodded her head, forcing herself to speak. “I-I know... I know you do... I love you too... And please... please don’t leave me alone. I don’t want to be alone anymore...”

A small, reassuring smile curled at Fluttershy’s lips. She nodded, cuddling her lover closer. “I won’t leave you. I promise you with all my heart, I won’t leave you. You’re not alone, my love... You’re never going to be alone again. Never. You’re cherished, you’re wonderful, you’re desired, you’re sweet, you’re fun, you’re kind, you’re helpful... but most of all, you are loved.”

“Thank you, Fluttershy... thank you...” Rainbow Dash whimpered silently. She knew that life was going to be difficult, but at least she had somepony as kind as this Fluttershy to care for her in her time of need. She truly did feel loved.

“You’re welcome...” Fluttershy soothed, rocking her gently back and forth.

For a time, they remained there, as it began to rain outside. Despite that, a glimmer of sunshine and rainbows lifted into their worlds. It may have been a saddening time for them, but at least they had each other. Fluttershy vowed to do all she could to uphold her promise, and stay with her. Living in this world was surely a new change she would just have to take. A determined rush overthrew her senses, filling her body and heart with the energy and courage she needed. It was a wondrous feeling, Fluttershy felt herself smile a bit through her tears.

‘Everything is going to be okay... In fact... I may just know how...’

“Rainbow?” She said softly. When the cyan mare looked at her, their gazes locking, Fluttershy stroked her braid. “I have an idea. Rainbow Dash.... let’s get married.”

“...What?”

Author's Note:

There, secrets are revealed! :P Woohoo!