• Published 27th Jun 2013
  • 3,228 Views, 139 Comments

A Bushel of Apples - dramatic_spoon



Slice of life stories staring Big Macintosh and his alternate universe offspring

  • ...
3
 139
 3,228

Everyone I know

Ponyville

Big Macintosh and Lyra walked through town, heading for the clock store.

“I don’t remember placin’ any order for a grandfather clock,” the stallion frowned, “You sure it wasn’t you?”

“Mac, why do I need a grandfather clock?” Lyra responded, “We have a bunch of those cheap ones.”

“…This better not be a prank by the kids,” he grumbled.

The two reached the shop and Big Macintosh pushed open the door.

“Ladies first.”

Lyra trotted into the store as Big Macintosh followed him. The two scanned the store: no other ponies were there amidst the various clocks.

“Hello? Anypony here?” Big Macintosh called out.

“A moment!” a stallion’s voice called out from the back. The two ponies exchanged confused glances as a door slammed shut. A brown Earth stallion with a bowtie and hourglass cutie mark suddenly appeared in front of the two.

“Oh hello there!” the stallion grinned, “I was expecting you.”

“Time Turner, right?” after the brown pony nodded in confirmation, Big Macintosh continued. “I think there’s been a mistake. Neither of us ordered any clocks.”

“Really? Hm,” Time Turner scratched his chin, “Why don’t we go into the back and figure this out?”

The brown stallion turned around and trotted off back to where he came from. The other two ponies exchanged quick glances before following him.

“This way please,” Time Turner motioned for the two of them to have seat. As the two ponies eased into the chairs, the shop owner mixed a cup of tea for himself.

“Do you take coffee or tea? Or perhaps water?”

“I’m fine.” The farmer stated, Lyra shook her head in agreement.

“Suit yourselves.” the stallion shrugged. Finishing his cup, Time Turner picked it up and trotted over to his desk. After taking his seat, the stallion took a sip of tea, placed the cup down and sighed.
“You’re giving us all quite a headache, Mr. Macintosh,” Time Turner sighed, “We haven’t been this busy in years.”

“…Beg your pardon?”

“Hmm? Oh, right, right.” Time Turner opened a drawer and pulled something out. The stallion placed a badge on the table; a golden watch, with the Letters “A.R.M.O.R.” on it.

“Alternate Reality Monitoring and Operational Response force” the stallion smiled.

“Never heard of it,” Lyra shot back.

“I should hope so,” he chuckled, “We’re quite secretive about it. We make the Shadowbolts look like the Imperial Guard, and we make the Guard look like the Post Office.
Essentially, it is our duty to monitor interdimensional abnormalities, and take care of them. I personally prefer using nonlethal methods, but sometimes…” the stallion shrugged.
“But anyway, I’m here about your…ah, children.”

“What about them?”

“Let me-”

“Wait,” Lyra cut in, “Why the hell should we trust you? Last time I saw you, you were arguing with Red Laver over the price of seaweed. You called us here, claiming to be part of some top secret agency that none of us ever heard of and-”

“Stratos Apple. Dimension 29, where Big Macintosh married Cloud Chaser. He has a younger sister named Cumulus Apple who’s about…three months or so. His best friend is Cream Pie, son of Pinkie Pie and Donut Joe, Golden Breeze, Son of Rarity and Soarin, Temporal Spectrum, daughter of Time Turner and Rainbow Dash. In that particular universe, The Cutie Mark Crusaders selected Cloud Chaser, rather than Cheerilee as your ‘Special Some pony’. Also, that universe’s Lyra Heartstrings ends up with Fluttershy.” Time Turner smirked before continuing

“Prince Novamac. Dimension 344, an alternate universe where both Princess Luna and Celestia succumbed to the darkness within them, resulting in civil war. Princess Cadance was able to lead the Elements of Harmony against them, sealing them away. Fast forward one thousand years and Lyra Heartstrings lead the new Elements. Princess Luna was ordered to work in Ponyville as part of her rehabilitation, where she fell in love with Big Macintosh.”

Time Turner took a sip of his tea, as Lyra and Big Macintosh exchanged quick glances.

“Shall I go on?”

“I think we get the point, Mr. Turner.” Big Macintosh grumbled, “But I got one more. Oscura.”

“….Her mother is Queen Umbra. Dimension 616, good is bad and bad is good. Umbra and Discord joined forces to defeat Phobetor and Hyperion with the newly forged Elements of Harmony after the originals were destroyed in battle,” Time Turner stated. The stallion paused, “That universe’s Big Macintosh is the…..twelfth husband of Queen Umbra’s, but the first to have a child with her. That universe’s Lyra is-”

“Alright. We get it.” Lyra cut him off, “Why did the Princess contact us through you, rather than just call us?”

“…Matter that I do not have the authorization to know,” Time Turner shrugged, “You’ll all find out soon enough.”

“Let’s get to the point then, what do you want?” Big Macintosh demanded.

“It’s a simple matter, but I think a visual is going to be much more effective.” Time Turner pulled out a pencil and paper.

“Now imagine that this paper represents our Equestria. Now…”

Time Turner stabbed the pencil into the paper, leaving a hole.

“This represents….Let’s say Sparkling Cider.” The stallion jabbed the pencil in the paper a few more times, leaving more holes.
“Those represent Garden Royale, Scarlet Tornado, Golden Gem and Apple Pie. Let me just add a few more, so I can represent all twenty.”

Time Turner jabbed it several more times, “There, twenty. Now, every time one of them crosses over, it leaves another hole.” Time Turner stabbed the paper again, continuing with his explanation while doing so, “And then we have the whole thing with Paula Red and her hanger-ons.
Really wish I got a chance to talk to her, but anyway…”
The stallion put the pencil down and held up the paper: massive chunks where missing from the paper, and several pieces fell off as he showed it to the couple.

“Every time one of them makes it through, it weakens the dimensional barrier. Now let’s get things clear, there are things much worse out there. Even more so than Discord.” Time Turner’s expression darkened, “Imagine if Celestia became evil, or perhaps a Nightmare possessed Twilight Sparkle. Imagine a universe where every being within it desires to convert us to be exactly like them.”

“…So in short, too many trips and bad mojo happens,” Lyra summarized.

“Correct.”

“Then why did the Princess give’m those?”

“It was an experiment, mostly. We don’t know a whole lot about interdimensional travel, and this was the perfect opportunity. We didn’t think it would affect the barrier that much,” Time Turner rubbed his temples, “Theory is a wonderful thing, but it only can do so much. It appears continued transport by the same individuals speeds up the process, and having direct counterparts cross over did even more damage. It’s interesting though. Nova and Midnight Bliss didn’t cause nearly as much damage as Apple Pomace’s arrival.”

Lyra frowned “…So, what you’re saying is…”

“I gotta tell them they can’t come anymore.” Big Macintosh concluded.