• Published 12th Jun 2013
  • 3,095 Views, 101 Comments

Background Ascension; or, Alicorns are "in" This Season - MyHobby



After the ascension of Prince Blueblood, a bevy of unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies suddenly find themselves elevated to the status of royalty. Ponies ascend, hijinks ensue, and Celestia consumes boatloads of coffee in this short-story collection.

  • ...
2
 101
 3,095

Background Ascension; or, The Heart of an Alicorn

After the ascension of Prince Blueblood, a bevy of unicorns, pegasi, and earth ponies suddenly found themselves elevated to the status of royalty. Blueblood would later look upon his own ascension as the cornerstone, the inspiration for the sudden onslaught of achievement in the kingdom of Equestria. Historians would refer to it as the Great Upheaval, though its effects on the social order were minimal at best. The historians just liked the name.

By law, ascension to alicornhood was accompanied by the title of prince or princess. As more and more royalty received their coronations, Celestia began to realize that having twenty-odd ruling princes and princesses made for an odd aristocracy. As such, she decided to anoint them as rulers of a particular facet of the kingdom, somewhat related to their personal talents.

The Greek pantheon in ponies, ladies and gentlecolts.

During the after-coronation party of Vinyl Scratch, Princess of Electronic Music and Epic Remixes, several recently-appointed royals found themselves pondering their new place in life…


“The wubs will last forever!

The first royal proclamation of Princess Vinyl Scratch echoed through the ballroom, drawing the attention of every royal present. Princess Lyra Heartstrings looked up from her slice of cake with glee, while Princess Redheart sat glumly beside her.

Lyra looked to the glowering princess with a raised eyebrow. “What’s eating you, Nurse Redheart?”

Before the white-coated alicorn could reply, the entire ballroom burst with electronic music. Dubstep, chiptune, nothing was spared as Vinyl Scratch shared her latest mix. Most of the old royalty present was quite horrified at the lack of proper classical music.

More’s the pity for those bores, eh?

After their ears had adjusted to the music, Lyra once again pressed Redheart. “What’s up? What’s got you so down?”

Redheart fluttered her wings as she eyed them nervously. “These things, how am I going to ever get used to them?”

“Same way I will, I bet.” Princess Lyra grinned. When Redheart failed to return the smile, Lyra placed a hoof on her shoulder. “It is a big change, yeah.”

“For some more than others,” Redheart sulked.

“What do you mean?”

Redheart pointed up at the horn sticking out of her forehead. “I used to be an earth pony.”

“Ooh,” Lyra hissed. “Yeah, that’s a rough one.”

Vinyl Scratch trotted up to them, her mix running smoothly enough by itself for her to enjoy her own coronation party. “’Sup, guys?”

“Redheart’s worried about magic and flying,” Lyra spoke before thinking. Her eyes widened as they shot to Redheart. “And she may or may not want to talk about it.”

“It’s fine, Lyra.” The nurse laid her head in her hooves. “It’s not some big secret, anyway.”

“What?” Vinyl leaned her hooves on the table. “You don’t like levitation and elevation?”

“It’s not that I don’t like the idea…” Redheart waved her hooves explanatorily. “It’s just, I felt so grounded before, so secure…”

She sighed and placed her head on the table. “And now everything’s gonna change.”

“For the better!” Vinyl shouted. “Look at us, we’re immortal, untouchable! We’re gonna do things nopony ever dreamed about!”

The record needle scratched. Vinyl Scratch leapt into the air to shout more thoroughly at the guardspony that had interrupted the music. “Hey, I didn’t give you permission to touch my equipment, Bub!”

The guard shrugged and pointed to the entrance of the ballroom. Standing in the doorway was a huge, muscular pegasus stallion. He wore a sharp tuxedo, clearly five sizes too small for him. His muscles bulged as he raised a list to his face. “Announcing Princess Celestia, Diarch of Equestria! YEAH!

Her Serene Majesty, Her Royal Highness, the Crowned Princess of Equestria…

“The Big Cheese,” Vinyl supplied.

The Big Cheese, Princess Celestia walked in, flanked by a group of royal guards. She smiled demurely at the assembled ponies. “Good evening, my little ponies. Please, don’t stand on Ceremony, he doesn’t like it.”

The crowd tittered at her pun, but she insisted. “No really, get off the poor colt.”

A short earth pony stallion grunted as he bore the weight of an oblivious pegasus mare. Joe Ceremony sighed in relief as she leapt off of his back in surprise. He grinned bashfully at her, offering her a flower. She took it with a blush, and the two found themselves a table.

Lyra found her eyes drifting to the buff stallion to the side. He was tugging at his tux nervously. He only began to realize that it was a bad idea when the collar of his shirt ripped clean off. He stuffed it in a pocket and coughed innocently.

“How can he even bend his arms?” Lyra whispered to Redheart. “He’s like a sack of potatoes on steroids.”

“Glory only knows,” Redheart muttered back. She had treated him for wing strain in the past. “He’s a brick with feathers.”

Vinyl Scratch fluttered down, her music back on track. “Kinda hunky.”

“Really?” Lyra shook her head as Vinyl took a seat next to her. “Really? That crime against fitness centers everywhere?”

“Hey, do I get all up in your face about your love life?” Vinyl glared over her glasses.

“You might”—Lyra met her glare with a smile cheesier than macaroni—“If you weren’t so busy fawning over Pec Popper over there.”

“Think you’re so clever, huh?” Vinyl turned to Redheart, who was tactfully trying to keep out of the conversation. “This chick thinks she can go toe-to-toe with me intellectually, howzabout that?”

“I think you’re both taking this a little far,” Redheart said. Her voice took on a tone of practiced concern. “If Vinyl likes a guy, that’s in her right.”

“You hear that, Heartstrings?” Vinyl grinned. “It’s my right, so it’s alright.”

“And it’s perfectly fine if Lyra thinks he’s an ugly pile of biceps,” Redheart finished, biting back a smile.

Buuurn, Scratchy,” Lyra chuckled.

“Yeah, well, shows what you two know,” Vinyl said. She stood and flew over to the pony in question.

Lyra snickered into her hoof. When she raised her head she noticed that Redheart was hanging low once again. “Still worried about your new powers?”

Redheart nodded. “And the responsibility that comes with them.”

“What?” Lyra squinted. “You’re one of the most responsible ponies I know. You’re a nurse, for Grogar’s sake! That’s like, ‘Responsibility, the Job!’”

“I love being a nurse,” Redheart sighed. “I wouldn’t trade it for anything.”

“Then wha-”

“Least of all becoming a princess,” Redheart sneered. “Being in charge of ponies, having them expect me to be an expert at everything, who knows what being a princess is all about?”

“Oh.” Lyra mused quietly as her punch glass was shaken by a particularly strong wub. It shattered soon after. “But, you’ll still do nursey work, won’t you?”

“I don’t know!” Redheart flung her hooves up. “This has never happened to me before. This has never happened to anypony before. What am I supposed to expect?”

Lyra grinned “'Nopony expects the Span-'”

“Don’t,” Redheart interrupted. “Just don’t.”

They sat in silence, aside from the chiptunes blaring over the speakers. Redheart abruptly stood up. “I need some fresh air.”

Lyra could only nod dumbly as the nurse strode out of the ballroom. She examined the shards of her late cup with a frown. “Why can’t I ever just shut up?”

“Question for the ages, Lyra,” Vinyl said as she descended upon the table. “Question for the ages.”

Lyra looked up to see Vinyl Scratch wiping her glasses off with the table cloth. The blue-haired alicorn chewed at her bottom lip as she examined the clarity of the lenses. Her shoulders drooped noticeably.

“Got shot down, huh?” Lyra asked.

“He’s married,” Vinyl spat.

“Whoa,” Lyra said as she glanced from the alicorn to the pegasus. “That messes with my headcanon something fierce.”


Redheart gazed up at the moon and moped. Stars peered out of the darkness, flickering like a million teasing winks. She fiddled with the braid her mane had been tied in, frustrated at its refusal to stay knotted. “Come on, I spent an hour on you, the least you could do is last the night.”

“May I?” a voice said.

Redheart spun on the voice, recognizing it instantly. “P-Princess Celestia!” She bowed hastily, almost falling on her face.

“No need for that tonight, my little pony,” Celestia smiled. “It’s time for celebration, not adulation.”

Her cheek pressed lightly against Redheart’s, and the nurse straightened up slowly. Celestia pointed her horn at the unruly braid. “May I?”

Redheart pursed her lips together and nodded. She sat down and allowed the celestial magic of her princess to undo her braid. The sovereign princess hummed softly as she slowly coiled the pink strands of hair around each other.

As she worked, Redheart fumbled for something, anything, to say. “Th-thank you.”

“Don’t thank me yet, Redheart,” Celestia chuckled softly. “I may be a bit out of practice.”

“Practice?” Redheart asked. She barely resisted the urge to turn around.

“I used to have a mane just like yours,” Celestia said. The coils of mane flowed as they looped down, down, down. “Bright pink, with a hint of red. Time changes all things, though.”

“Yeah,” Redheart said with a cross-eyed glance at her horn. “I figured that out already.”

Celestia peered around Redheart’s mane. “Something troubling you?”

Redheart hesitated. “Yes,” she admitted. “I’m not sure I wanna… I don’t think I’m…”

Celestia waited patiently while Redheart pieced together what she wanted to say. “I… I don’t think I want to be an alicorn.”

The ruler of Equestria took the statement in stride. “Why not, my little pony?” Her heart went out to the nurse, even as her eyes went to her unfinished braid.

“All… All I ever wanted was to become a nurse.” Redheart slumped, nearly jerking her mane out of Celestia’s glowing grasp. “And I wanted to be the best nurse I could be.”

“And indeed you were,” Celestia nodded. “I heard about your work during the Baked Bads 2.0 outbreak. You preformed exemplary, Redheart.”

The Baked Bads 2.0 outbreak was a somewhat isolated case of food poisoning in Ponyville. It was unknown who perpetrated the event, though Sweetie Belle was unavailable for questioning.

“That day’s going to live on in infamy, I think.” Redheart rolled her eyes. “That’s the day I became an alicorn in the first place.”

Celestia chuckled. “Yes, your treatment saved many lives. Or, at least livelihoods. That’s something to be proud of, Princess.”

Redheart flinched. “I don’t feel like a princess. I just want to be a nurse.”

“And what’s stopping you?” Celestia said. “It would be a catastrophe for somepony with your talents to be removed from her field.”

“I’m…” Redheart tilted her head slightly. “You’re not making me a princess instead of a nurse?”

“Nurse Redheart, Princess of Hospice.” Celestia grinned as she tied the last loop. “It has a nice ring to it, I think.

“Your duties will expand a bit,” she added. “Ponies will look up to you, if only because you are an alicorn. But you earned it.”

She took Redheart’s shoulder in her hoof and turned the nurse around. “You became an alicorn because of your amazing abilities. If anything, it’s a badge of honor to be worn, not a burden to be carried.”

Celestia brought Redheart close in a hug. “My little pony, you have been exemplary. Choose this as an opportunity to be extraordinary.”

Redheart felt relief wash over her as the hug continued. “Thank you.”


“You wrote three entire sonatas overnight!?” Vinyl gasped.

Lyra smirked with pride. “It was awesome. You ever just feel like you’re so overflowing with inspiration that you’ll burst if you don’t get it down?”

“That’s how I felt when I put together my Magic Player 3 a few days ago,” Vinyl nodded. “Then poof, I’m an alicorn.”

“Yeah, what was your title? Princess of Electronic Music…”

“And Epic Remixes! BAM!” Vinyl finished. She and Lyra bumped hooves.

“Say,” Lyra said. “What do you say to a little crossover?”

“What?” Vinyl squinted. “Your sonatas get the DJ PON-3 treatment?”

“Well, parts of them, at least,” Lyra giggled. “I’m not sure you have the attention span for songs longer than five minutes.”

“Ouch,” Vinyl Scratch sat back. “That hurts, mare. That hurts right here.” She prodded her chest with a hoof.

“What?” Lyra asked. “You saying you listen to an hour of dumbstep at a time?”

“That’s dubstep and you know it, Stringy,” Vinyl stood, wings flared. “An’ yeah, I get in the mood sometimes.”

“Like you were in the mood for Muscle Bunches of Oats?” Lyra snickered, pointing at the stallion standing at the door.

“You know when you were asking why you couldn’t shut up?” Vinyl pouted, her glasses sliding down on her nose. “Now would be a very, very good time to ask that question again.”

“Are you two still arguing?” Redheart said as she took her place beside the other two alicorns, her plate full of hors d'oeuvres. “C’mon guys, the bickering’s really childish.”

“She started it!” Vinyl pointed an accusatory hoof at the minty alicorn.

“She’s talking all my jokes too seriously!” Lyra shot back at the DJ.

“Lyra, stop making mean-spirited jokes!” Redheart shouted. “Vinyl, grow up and cool off!” She sat back, a satisfied smile on her face.

Lyra nodded, her mouth wrinkled in an impressed grimace. “Not bad. Somepony’s feeling better.”

“A little, I guess.” Redheart munched on a cucumber sandwich. “I had a real nice heart-to-heart.”

“Redheart-to-heart, maybe,” Lyra chuckled.

Vinyl would have taken her turn to speak, if the record hadn’t scratched again. “Alright, who’s playing with my wubs!?”

“She’s ascended!” Celestia shouted joyously from the podium. “Twilight Sparkle has ascended!”

The princess danced through the room, lighter than air. “She’s ascended, she’s ascended, my faithful student has ascended!”

Most of the guests smiled politely, then scrambled to the far side of the room. Princess Celestia danced unawares, her smile as bright as the sun she lifted. “After all this time, she’s finally become an alicorn!”

She rushed to the guards standing at attention. “Quickly! We must away, ere break of day, to begin our preparations! There shall cometh a coronation the likes of which Canterlot hath not seen in an age!”

“Are you alright, Princess?” one guard asked hesitantly. “You’re talking like Princess Luna.”

“Oh, but ‘twas a joyous occasion that befell us, my armor bearers!” Celestia pranced past them, her eyes alight with unspoken giggles. “The coronation shall not occur later than a fortnight hence!”

Once the sovereign princess had departed, the ponies gathered at the party shuffled back into their cliques. Vinyl was about to put another record on when she was interrupted by a shout from the entrance. “Announcing Prince Braeburn of Appleoosa! YEAH!

An orange-coated alicorn with wavy locks of flowing hair entered the ballroom with a shout. “Hey, y’all! I jus’ flew in from Appleoosa, and boy are my arms tired!” He turned to his back and gave his wings a flutter. “Well, my wings are, at least.”

Vinyl’s glasses fell from her face as her mouth dropped open. “Okay, you have to admit that he’s gorgeous.”

“That pun was gorgeous,” Lyra admitted.

Redheart brought her hoof up to her face and sighed. “So, what are you waiting for, Scratch?”

“Nothing at all.” With that, Vinyl flew off to greet the newcomer. Lyra and Vinyl watched the two alicorns talk for a moment, until Vinyl returned with a sour continence. “Never mind.”

“What?” Lyra grinned. “Don’t tell me he’s married, too.”

“He’s engaged…” Vinyl gritted her teeth.

“Well,” Redheart offered. “It could have been worse-”

“To Pinkie Pie,” the DJ growled.

Lyra thought about that deeply. After a moment of consideration, she shrugged and nodded. “Headcanon accepted.”


“Nurse Redheart, you’re needed in Maternity!”

“Redheart, the patient hasn’t responded to the anesthesia.”

“Yo, princess, where’s my bedpan?”

Redheart’s day at the hospital was a flurry of activity. Every floor seemed to need her, and everypony seemed to require her assistance. She had taken to using the window to change floors, rather than the elevators or stairs. Wings had turned out to be pretty handy.

And if the wings were handy, magic was glorious. Her natural hoof-dexterity had translated very well to telekinesis and, with hours upon hours of practice, she could carry tons of items at once. It was also an order of magnitude more sanitary.

She flew out the window and down to Emergency with a small smile on her face. She knocked on the window to get the attention of the doctor, an orange stallion with brushed-back hair. He opened the window and let her in. “Redheart, there’s a patient that just arrived, she’s in room 4b and might have a fractured wing. I’m a little busy here, so would you take a look?”

She trotted past with a nod. She made her way quickly to the room and knocked. “Hello, is it alright to come in?”

A young pegasus filly, still a blank-flank, looked up with shimmering eyes. Beside her sat a unicorn stallion and a rainbow-maned pegasus mare. “Yeah,” the filly murmured. “’S fine.”

“So…” Redheart read the information sheet. “Scootaloo, can you tell me where it hurts?”

“There,” the filly pointed. The rainbow-maned mare beside her winced as though she could feel the pain herself. Scootaloo flinched and let tears squeeze out of her eyes.

“Shh…” Redheart took the limb very gently in her magic and examined it. The wing was broken, but not irreparably so. She brushed the filly’s mane with a hoof as she slowly, carefully, set the bones back in place. “It’ll be alright. It’s broken, but it’ll heal soon enough.”

She bandaged the wing tight, keeping the bones firmly in place. “There, now I imagine you’ll have quite an adventure to share with your friends, won’t you?”

“Hay, yeah,” Scootaloo said, wiping her tears away. “That… that was kinda awesome.”

“And with a lot, lot, lot, lot of practice,” the chromatic mare inserted, “you’ll be able to try it without my help again.”

The stallion, Scootaloo’s father, snorted. “Yeah, let’s not repeat that little accident any time soon, alright, Scoots?”

“Yeah, I’ll be careful, Dad.” She turned excitedly to the mare. “Can you show me the trick again, Rainbow Dash!?”

Redheart chuckled as she exited the room, her heart decidedly fuzzy. Everything was going to be just fine.


A coffee shop on the far side of Ponyville had become a battleground for two musicians. One had composed orchestral beauties that had sent many a pony weeping. The other had sent hearts pumping and bodies dancing with her tunes.

Vinyl Scratch glared at Lyra Heartstrings while the lyrist squinted at the DJ. Vinyl raised a pen in her telekinetic grip and made a small correction to the sheet of music before her. Lyra raised her own pen and undid the correction just as swiftly.

The two went back and forth for a quarter of an hour, neither willing to turn aside or compromise. By that time, the sheet had been so covered in notes and corrections it had become unreadable. The two musicians stared at the cacophony of notes with a detached bemusement.

“Well,” Lyra said. “That could have gone better.”

“Yeah,” Vinyl agreed. “It ain’t pretty.”

Lyra hovered a lyre over to her hooves. She strummed according to the written notes for a moment, before giving up in disgust. “I’ll get a new sheet.”

“Sure,” Vinyl said, taking a sip from her coffee. It had gotten cold while they were working. “If at first you don’t succeed…”

“Throw a tantrum to get your way?” Lyra snorted. “At least, that’s how it’s always worked for me.”

“I don’t doubt that,” Vinyl snickered. “You remind me of a very feminine Sombra.”

“Gee, thanks.” Lyra returned with a copy of the music sheet they had utterly demolished. “I love being compared to vicious slave-drivers that do nothing but growl all day.”

“Heh, you said it,” Vinyl smirked. “I didn’t.”

“Oh, ha, ha, ha.” Lyra spread the sheet on the table. “Now who’s telling the nasty jokes?”

“That’d be you.” Vinyl scribbled a note on the sheet. “My jokes are nothing but pure awesome.”

“Your jokes are about a monster that enslaved millions,” Lyra countered. “Truly, that’s the height of comedy. You should do stand up. You’re a riot.”

“You cause riots.” Vinyl turned the sheet to Lyra. “Now look, I think this melody would be awesome if accompanied by a wub here”—she pointed—“here, and here.”

“Wubs?” Lyra asked. “Is that all your remixes have going for them?”

“Heck no!” Vinyl drew back and pushed her sunglasses onto her forehead. “I’m all about what’s cool, no matter what’s cool.”

“Oh, yeah,” Lyra said through a grin full of snark. “They have some weird drum beat going through them, too.”

“Only when it’s cool!” Vinyl grumped. “Hokey Peat, Lyra, do you want a crossover or not?”

“I…” Lyra slumped. “Yeah, I do. I’m sorry.”

“You know,” a third pony said as they entered the coffee shop. “I thought that crossovers were about working together.”

Lyra looked up with a bright smile on her face. “Hay, Redheart, how was your day?”

The nurse took a seat beside the others. “Pretty great. Lots of ponies got helped today.” She laughed. “Can you believe I treated a griffon for constipation?”

“Dude,” Vinyl interrupted. “People are eating.”

“Sorry,” Redheart blushed. “It’s just… It’s hard work, but I feel so good!

Meanwhile, the shop’s owner had scrambled outside to change the “Princesses Served” sign to read “three.”

“Nopony said that being an alicorn would be easy,” Lyra said. She gestured to the music sheet. “Case in point.”

“Aw, you’re just too picky.” Vinyl wrote a few ideas down. “Now, before you say no, just listen to what I have so far.”

Vinyl’s horn glowed as she focused on the sheet. It glowed to match, shining a bright magenta. The lines and notes on the page lifted off in several swirling trails, and music began to play. Redheart and Lyra stared wide-eyed at the display, and Redheart tapped her hoof in time to the beat. Even Lyra seemed to be enjoying it.

Vinyl grinned as she ended the spell. “So, whadda yah think?”

“I think,” Lyra smiled, “that you’re on to something.”

“See?” Vinyl punched Lyra in the shoulder. “I told you that you just needed to give it a chance!”

Redheart took a sip from her caramel macchiato with fat-free milk and no whipped cream with extra caramel drizzle. “Pretty cool.”

“Now, yah see?” Vinyl pointed at the nurse. “Redheart’s a mare of good taste.”

“Eh.” Lyra stirred her drink. “I prefer mocha.”

“Not what I meant- You know what? Never mind.” Vinyl tossed her empty cup into the wastebasket. “I got a gig, see you guys later.”

“Later,” the others chimed.

Redheart sipped daintily. “So what do you have going today?”

Lyra stuck her tongue out. “Bleh, still working on spring cleaning. Even as a princess it’s still boring as heck.”

“Have you worked on levitating a bunch of objects at once?” Redheart asked.

“Yeah, but I never seem to lift more than three things at a time before they all come tumbling down.” Lyra sat back and patted her belly. “I’m more about detail than quantity.”

“That’s weird,” Redheart muttered. “I’m fine with dexterity and amount.”

“You’re a nurse.” Lyra stood and tossed her cup into the trash. “You’ve been balancing a million things your whole life. I’m always nitpicking every last detail.”

“Yeah?” Redheart said. “Are you the Princess of Hairy Little Details?”

“Naw,” Lyra grinned as she opened her wings. “I’m Lyra Heartstrings, Princess of Melodies.”

Redheart smiled as her friend took flight. She trotted home, rather than flew, to enjoy the sights and sounds of Ponyville. Friends waved, acquaintances smiled, and Pinkie Pie handed out invitations for her upcoming wedding. They were personalized to each invited pony; that is, all of them.

“Yeah,” Redheart said to herself. “Everything is gonna be just fine.”

Author's Note:

This may or may not have any bearing whatsoever on either Blueblood's Ascension Part I or Part II.

This is almost certainly silly and irrelevant to anypony's interests.

Thank you for reading.