• Published 19th Jun 2013
  • 1,630 Views, 144 Comments

Through Crimson Eyes - Level Dasher



What happens when a life-changing event occurs that shapes your whole life? What if that event occurs when life has barely begun? If a kid has dealt with more issues in six years than most can handle in a lifetime, how do you think they'd feel?

  • ...
5
 144
 1,630

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 5: Reactions

After I finished recounting everything that had happened on the night Princess Luna visited me, I looked at my audience. There was utter silence, and each one of them had a different expression on their face.

Starry looked completely dumbstruck. His eyes were bulging and he was slack-jawed. He looked like you could tip him over with a slight prod to the ribs.

Tesla appeared to be absolutely horrified. She actually looked ready to burst into tears for some reason.

Mom had a look that seemed to be a combination of contemplation and doubt, but I wasn’t quite sure. She stared at me with a raised brow and a closed eye, scratching her chin.

Then I saw Dad, still sitting on his haunches. He was a little hard to read. I thought he had actually fallen asleep at first; his eyes were shut and he had a soft smile on his face. Then I saw him mouth out something quietly— it looked like he said “thank you.”

Since Dad seemed to be a bit… out of it, I wanted to hear what Starry, Tesla, and Mom had to say. I decided to break the silence with a quick, “What?” That’s when the barrage began:

“You met Princess Luna?”

“She can see into our dreams?

“She was here in the room?”

“Did she have any guards?”

“How much can she see?”

“Why didn’t she want me to know she was here?”

“Was my dad with her?”

“Can she see what we do outside of our dreams, too?”

“She didn’t happen to teach you that sound barrier spell, did she?”

“WOAH! WOAH!” I held up my hooves. It was like they had rehearsed it— Starry, Tesla, and Mom had just gone down the line asking their questions, but Dad remained quiet with that satisfied smile on his face. I was amazed I had actually been able to catch and remember all of their questions, so I decided to respond to them all at once while the answers were still fresh in my head.

“Yes, no, and again, no. Sorry, Starry.

“Yes, I don’t know, and I don’t know, but she’s usually asleep during the day. By the way, you sound like you committed a crime or something, Tess— calm down.

“Yes, she didn’t want to disturb your sleep, and no, Mom. I can’t do magic, remember? Why?”

Mom sighed. “Shoot, I could have soundproofed the studio with a spell like that.” I couldn’t help but chuckle; figures teaching tips would have been the first thing on her mind.

At first, I wasn’t sure if they would believe me. I didn’t want them to think I was going crazy and seeing things. Then again, I probably shouldn’t have doubted them— they were my friends and parents, after all.

I looked over at Dad. He had been silent the whole time with that look on his face. I thought I saw a tear trickle down his cheek, but he was still smiling.

“Hey, Dad? You okay?” I asked him.

He got up and slowly approached my bedside. Then he pulled me into a hug and caressed my mane.

“Praise you, Princess Luna. You have graced my son with your presence and your blessing. Thank you for hearing the words of this stallion— I knew I could count on you…” I heard him sniffle and felt a tear drip down onto my head.

Oh please, Dad. Not now… Talk about awkward… I really didn’t want to have to deal with this side of him, especially with company around. I glanced over at Starry and Tesla; they alternated between staring at me and my Dad with a single brow raised. It didn’t surprise me— they had never seen Dad’s… spiritual side. Thank Luna for my Mom, though.

“Honey, don’t you need to be at work in the morning? It’s getting pretty late.”

Dad’s eyes nearly popped out as he said, “Oh, ponyfeathers!” He smiled at me and squeezed me so hard I thought I would burst. “I’ll see you tomorrow, buddy. See you, Hon. So long, kids!” As he spoke, he turned to each of us in turn before he galloped out the door.

After the door shut behind him, I let out a sigh, then turned and glared at Mom, who returned my look with an apologetic smile. “Sorry, sweetie. You know how your father can be.”

“Yeah, but did he have to go all… spiritual on me with Tess and Starry here?” I responded. I looked at them and said, “You guys looked a little freaked.” They both just shrugged.

Mom chuckled, “Right. You kids haven’t seen Crimson’s dad that way before, have you?” They shook their heads. “I didn’t think so. You see, Level Dasher was raised in a family where prayer every night was mandatory. It’s a habit that he’s stuck to ever since. When Crimson was born, Level Dasher and I decided not to push that lifestyle on him.” She turned to me. “However, it seems that your father’s prayers have merit. You know how much of an honor it is to meet a princess, don’t you?”

I nodded. “I did more than just meet her face-to-face, Mom. Right after we talked and I fell asleep, she revealed herself to me in my dreams. She told me she doesn’t do that often. Believe me, I know full well I’m a lucky colt.” Honestly, I still couldn’t believe it.

Mom said, “Well, it seems that luck isn’t really at play here. If your father’s prayers brought Princess Luna to you, I may have to try my own hoof at it…” She tapped her chin and began staring out the window.

I looked at Tesla and Starry, who both shrugged at me again. Suddenly, Starry’s ears perked up and he turned to Tesla. “Shoot! We oughta go, too. We’ve got school in the morning.”

“Oh geez, you’re right!” Tesla answered. “We’ll see you later, Crimson. I’ll give your letter to Miss Turner tomorrow.”

“Thanks, Tess. See you guys later!” They rushed out the door and it slowly shut behind them. Then I let out a calm sigh.

I leaned back against my pillow, and Mom pulled over a chair to sit next to my bed. She looked at me with a smile. “So…” I expected something more, but she stopped there.

“So what?” Conversations with Mom that started that way were unpredictable.

Mom leaned forward and rested her forelegs on my bed as she stared at me with a… knowing look. “Tesla…”

A lump caught in my throat. I hoped she wasn’t going where I thought she was going. “Uh… what about her?”

She chuckled and started twirling her hoof in a circle on my sheets. “Is there anything you want to tell me about her?”

I had a feeling I was right, but I wasn’t certain. “Uh, what’s there to tell?”

Mom smirked. “Okay, then. Since you don’t want to tell me what I’m pretty sure you know, do you want me to tell you what I know, and what I think you know I know?”

Her wording lost me. “Umm… I guess?”

She laughed, then got up and tousled my mane. “That filly has quite the crush on you, pal.”

I sighed, “Oh. That…” Yeah, I was right— she’d figured it out.

Mom continued, “Not only that, but you and Starry both have known, and you aren’t really sure how you feel about it yet. Am I right?”

I raised my eyebrow at her. “How did you—”

She cut me off. “I’m a mother. I observe. And remember, I was a filly that age once myself. I had a crush, too; I know the signs.”

I put my hoof to my forehead and sighed through my nostrils. “Mom, you couldn’t wait until morning to bring this up?”

After a short conversation about ‘the potential between Tesla and me,’ Mom let me go to sleep. I was tired, so I didn’t want to think too much about it, but I didn’t want to forget about it, either. She gave me some pretty good advice.

I woke up late the next morning. What I woke up to, I definitely wasn’t expecting.

PreviousChapters Next