• Published 19th Jun 2013
  • 1,631 Views, 144 Comments

Through Crimson Eyes - Level Dasher



What happens when a life-changing event occurs that shapes your whole life? What if that event occurs when life has barely begun? If a kid has dealt with more issues in six years than most can handle in a lifetime, how do you think they'd feel?

  • ...
5
 144
 1,631

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 14: More Than Two Bits

“Dad, you’ve been doing this for longer than I’ve been alive. How in Equestria am I better than you?”

“Have you ever considered the idea that maybe I’m letting you win?”

“Good try, but I can tell that you’re not; I get my ‘focused face’ from you— I know what it looks like.”

“You most likely get your gaming prowess from me, too. Along with your cockiness when you win.” He tickled me in the ribs, causing me to drop my controller and laugh.

Dad and I had been playing Sonic the Hedgehog; I always beat him in versus mode. Both of us had a laugh when I mentioned something I had thought of before we started playing: considering the wing of the hospital I was in, a certain Element of Kindness was probably rolling in her grave. There is no WAY Fluttershy would have condoned that kind of behavior from hedgehogs.

“I can still beat you at Go Fish, though,” he said with a small chuckle.

I put my controller on the side table. “That was ONE game! You looking for another rematch?” Dad cocked a brow and smirked. “Fine. Grab the cards— you’re on!”

It had been a great day. Mom was at home taking care of housework, so Dad and I got to spend some quality father-son time together. Despite my having to lay in bed the whole day, he still managed to keep me occupied. It was also a day to celebrate; today was his first official day of retirement.

As Dad dealt the cards out onto my bed, I glanced at the TV, paused on the video game’s main menu. It randomly jarred something in my memory. “Hey Dad, I just remembered something.”

“What’s up, buddy?”

“You remember when you first told me you were going to retire, and Tesla and Starry came and saw me?”

“Ummm… yeah. Why?”

“Why didn’t you want me to tell them you were doing more than just game testing? I’ve been meaning to ask you, but I kept forgetting.”

He finished dealing and put the cards down. “You know, I had been meaning to explain that to you. I’ve been forgetting, too. You see, Crimson, I had kept my promotion in Big Macrosoft low-key around town for a reason. In a town such as Ponyville, few families can afford luxuries like many of the ponies in Canterlot can. Since we didn’t have or need them while you were growing up, I felt it was unnecessary to announce that we suddenly could have them.

“Money can change ponies, Crimson. Having too much of it can be a bad thing. When I got promoted, your mother and I decided to continue living on only slightly more than what we needed so we could live the same lifestyle we always had. The only change was that we had some extra money around if anything happened. The rest of what I’ve been making has been put away for the future. Your mother and I raised you hoping you would be satisfied with what was provided for you. Despite all the challenges you’ve been through, if not because of them, I’m proud to say we succeeded; you’re one of the most mature colts I’ve seen in this entire town. Even more so than some of the adults.”

“Well, thanks,” I responded. “But what does that have to do with Starry and Tesla?”

“You see, buddy, like I mentioned before, money can change ponies. Not only the ponies that have it, but the ponies they know. If certain ponies found out we had the kind of money we have, they might ask us for favors. If ponies with money aren’t careful, sometimes they can be taken advantage of.”

I had to let it sink in for a moment, but after it did, I caught what he was implying. “Wait a minute. You think that Starry and Tesla would—”

“Oh, absolutely not!” He cut me off. “Those two are the least likely to try and take advantage of you. You’ve known each other for years, and you all like each other for who you are, not what you have. Especially Tesla, you little casanova, you!” He rubbed my head.

“Give it a rest, Dad. And stop, I’m still not used to this yet.” I slowly passed a hoof over my bare head.

“Sorry, buddy. I guess I’m not used to that, either.”

“It’s fine; they did say it should grow back after a while. So wait… if you’re not worried about Starry and Tesla taking advantage of me, why couldn’t I tell them?”

“Well, buddy, those two are very excitable. While it’s more than likely they would be incredibly happy for you if they knew, it’s something your mother and I don’t want being common knowledge. I’m just worried Starry or Tesla might accidentally let it slip out to somepony, and it would spread around town. If we told them, we would need them to keep the fact a secret, and I don’t want that to be a burden for them to carry.”

I thought about it for a minute. “I guess that makes sense. Wow, talk about putting your two bits in, huh?”

Dad smiled and leaned closer to me. “Believe me, buddy. It’s a lot more than two bits.”

“Huh?”

“Well, on top of what I’ve been putting into accounts for you, your grandmother has been giving me money for those accounts a few times a year. All of those additions add up. She keeps telling me she wants you to have enough so that you can give money to your foals when the time comes.”

I sighed and looked around at all the machines. “You mean if I have foals…”

He put a hoof under my chin, then turned and lifted it so our eyes met. “Hey. You showed me that letter from your teacher. That was sound advice her cousin gave you; make sure you follow it, alright?”

I had gone and put myself in a funk, and Dad noticed. “I know, you’re right.”

“Hey, buddy, I understand this is hard, but you’re taking it incredibly well. You really are a champ, and I’m very proud of you.” He leaned into me and gave me a hug, but I was still feeling kind of down. Before he sat back, he whispered a number into my ear.

I sighed again. “What’s that?”

“That’s what you’ve got.”

“What?”

“That’s how much money you have to your name right now.”

My eyes bulged and my jaw dropped. The cards scattered all over the floor as I jumped. “WHAT?!” It certainly snapped me out of my funk.

He smiled. “I told you, it’s a lot more than two bits,” he said with a chuckle as he picked up the cards from the floor. “So why do I deserve 52-Pick-Up?”

“Uhh… heh, sorry.”

Author's Note:

Not a ton going on here— this is more of a prep chapter for things to come.

PreviousChapters Next