• Published 3rd Jun 2013
  • 4,124 Views, 62 Comments

Her Void Pink - Darkryt Orbinautz



Twilight's been thinking about Pinkie Pie recently. She keeps control of it, afraid of how her friends might react. But circumstances conspire to bring Pinkie closer to her than she's comfortable with . . .

  • ...
14
 62
 4,124

Personal Spatial Anomaly

Twilight stood there with her back to the door, trying to think of any sort of mnemonic devices to make sure her control wasn't endangered. Asking Pinkie that, saying what she had said to Spike . . . she was losing it, she was sure!

Wait, wait . . . remember the books, Twilight. She had almost gotten down a green book when . . . what was it that kept her from getting down the green book again?

Oh yes, Rarity . . . the name rolled through her mind with the beat of an angry drummer from a rock band. A trashy rock band, at that. Twilight tried to tell herself she shouldn't be too mad at Rarity. This sort of thing was not uncommon and not unexpected of her, and she was going have to prepare for in the future if she wanted her's and Rarity's friendship to last. Oh . . . oh, oh-oooh-oh, and Pinkie was there too!

She gotten the most wonderful experience . . . well, not quite. She was thinking of that she had eluded Rarity's suspicions and gotten to cuddle against Pinkie Pie's chest. Really, that was more a subset of the true most wonderful experience; being able to make Pinkie Pie happy. Twilight thought about how she had turned Pinkie's frown upside down for a long while. Seeing that face swirl and contort upwards back into its normal expression carefree glee . . . She had did that. She had done that. It was nice to make Pinkie happy. She spent so much time and effort in making other ponies happy, she deserved somepony to make her happy for once.

Somepony . . . to make her happy. Twilight Sparkle promised herself, she'd be that somepony, one way or another.

Another knock on the door. Who could that have been now?

Twilight tore her thoughts away from Pinkie (reluctantly) and started kicking in all the social conventions she had read about to greet whoever was on the other side of the door. It was a very orange (as usual, seeing as that was the color of her coat) Applejack with a proud smile on her face.

"Hey, Applejack! What brings you over?" Twilight exclaimed, experiencing the sensation of being genuinely happy to see her friend. Something she hadn't been able to feel in a while.

"Just wanted to congratulate ya." Applejack answered. "Rarity's over talking that Canterlot snub outta the deal right now."

"O . . . kay." Twilight said, feeling of happiness subsiding. She didn't want to discuss Rarity right now.

Applejack lopped a leg over her shoulder. "Ya talked some sense into her, Twi'. Take it from somepony who's done it firsthoof; with Rarity, that takes sum doin'."

"All right then." Twilight concluded, attempting to end the conversation off.

Applejack adjusted her hat. "Well, I'll leave y'all to your business." She turned around to leave, but what she said got Twilight thinking; business! She should invite Applejack to accompany her with her business for the day! It'd be a great way to get her mind off Pinkie Pie for a little while. Left to her own devices in the library, who knows what trouble her secret desire would stir up? Celestia probably did. Not out of omnipotence, but because she'd been around enough to able to predict how these kind of things went.

"Hey, Applejack!" Twilight called after her. "You wanna go out with me?"

Poor choice of words? Not really. Tone, volume and context would keep Applejack from making the wrong conclusion. Besides, Applejack was sociable enough to know she meant 'out with me while I do aforementioned business' and not a date.

"Eh, shore. Can't think of a reason why not."

Twilight walked outside, closing the door behind her, thoughts of Pinkie Pie forgotten. Well, she told herself they were forgotten, but they never were. Just pushed to the side when they're not relevant.

Once they had reached the entryway into the market stall area, where a bunch of ponies were going about their day, Applejack began making small town small talk with her.

"So, how's life been for ya in Ponyville?"

"Fine." Twilight replied flatly. Truth be told, since having arrived, Twilight felt she could live anywhere now, so long as her friends there with her. Not that she'd ever ask them to move.

Applejack nodded her head. "Good, good . . ."

Applejack was terrible at lying. This was a well-known fact. She wasn't much better at hiding things. Twilight could tell something was on her mind. The intense amounts of control she had been exerting over herself the last few days gave her the insider knowledge to sense when other ponies were hiding something.

"What is it, Applejack?"

Applejack looked taken aback. Clearly, she hadn't been expecting Twilight to read her so easily. Her self-pride had likely lulled her into thinking she was being too secretive for Twilight to pick her scent.

"Ehhh . . . well . . ." Applejack tripped over her words. On purpose, Twilight could tell, so that she didn't have to admit whatever it was to Twilight.

Twilight took in a deep breath. Another situation that would require control. Perfect! She could examine the results of where-in-ever her conversation was about to go and maybe, just maybe, identify where the stress points in her control where and eliminate them. A nice plan, but it was easier said than done. She had to confront Applejack without being so harsh as to make Applejack rethink their friendship together. A gentle approach first, then slowly getting rougher til she had her answer.

"Applejack, what's wrong?" Twilight asked concernedly, stepping around her friend.

"Well, Ah . . . Ah know you have some . . . problems with Pinkie Pie's . . . antics." Applejack explained. Which was true, as far as anypony knew. Twilight, reasoning founded in logic and study, was more often than not exasperated by Pinkie Pie's, whose bodily capabilities of levitating, mysteriously appearing and disappearing, and producing a spit-free, 101-percent germ free cake from her mouth for other ponies to eat, defied all logic. This was something Twilight was aware of. Her inner scientist refused to accept this. But another part of her, the part that Pinkie had ensnared in a seemingly hopeless spell, thought this made her all the more interesting . . . all the more mysterious . . . and mysteries . . . were an awfully tempting sort.

There was still the issue of what Applejack was so gosh-darn'ed concerned about.

"Applejack, I know about my own issues, but . . . why did you bring that up now?"

Applejack looked away. "Well, Ah . . . It jus' . . . look, Ah thought' y'all should know to expec' a visit from Cheerilee later in the evenin'."

"Who's Cheerilee?"

"Our one-and-only school teache'r!' Applejack answered.

One and only? Twilight repeated in her head. A single teacher might be enough for a small town. Which Ponyville was . . . but it wasn't that small! There were numerous districts across the plotting of the land, the distance between which easily allotted for the need of more than one school!

Calm down, Twilight, quickly! Losing control! Losing focus! Ignore the resource questions that brought to mind! Focus . . . focus on the issue at hoof . . . which was . . .

"Why?"

"Why wut?"

"Why should I expect a visit from Cheeriliee?"

Once again, Applejack looked away. "Well, uh . . . see, here's the thang', Twi' . . . Ah, well, Ah can't tell ya. Nopony can. But ya need to be told."

Applejack barely noticed the tempo of Twilight's internal debate, trying to decide whether or not it was reasonable of her to be frustrated by now. Because she was by now. What had her books said?

. . . Oh, forget it!

NO! Don't forget it! Forgetting just one piece of the inner control network she had rigged up could cause the entire thing to collapse, causing any and everything she didn't want her friends to know about. Like Pinkie . . . or this one time when she was a foal when she- well, it doesn't matter what she did. She didn't want her friends to know about it, now did she?

"Applejack, what is it you need to tell me that you can't tell me!?"

Applejack started stepping in place. A common behavior of ponies who were nervous. "Well, Ah, uh . . . Ah think Big Macintosh is getting overru'n!"

Twilight somewhat irritably looked around for the apple stall where Big Macintosh was sure to be working. There he was, chewing on his hay stalk with business looking . . . rather slow.

"No he isn't."

"Shore he is!" Applejack insisted. She grabbed the nearest stallion from the crowd around them and whispered something into his ear. He nodded. She then lifted him up and threw him up to in the air, landing right on top of the counter of Big Macintosh's stall.

Big Macintosh facehooved, having been through this routine before. He cleared his throat and started flailing his hoof into the air, making whinnies meant to sound like he was being attacked. The flung stallion somewhat awkwardly got his hooves, standing on the counter and very unconvincingly pretended to be attacking Macintosh.

"Help!" Big Macintosh squawked. Hearing that big, strong husky voice make such a weak sounding noise, Twilight couldn't suppress a chuckle. "Ah'm being attacked!

"Yes!" The other stallion agreed. "And I am the mean pony who is attacking him!"

"Hang on, big brother! Ah'll save ya!" Applejack 'reassured' him heroically, leaping into action and lunging at the colt, pushing him off the table and them both hidden out of sight behind the counter.

"Ya! Hoo! Take that, ya varmint!" The sounds of mock-fighting puffed from behind the counter.

Twilight raised an eyebrow. Did Applejack just sway a random stallion into pretending to attack Big Macintosh so she'd have an excuse to get away? Based on Macintosh's calmness, the colt's poor acting, and Applejack's even worse of the same, Twilight had to come to the conclusion. Shaking her head to dismiss it, she turned around to get other things from the market. Geez, Applejack. Twilight thought she had-

Pinkie was bouncing along the street.

-Issues . . .

Oh dear . . . Pinkie was bouncing along the street, the way she normally did. Normal for Pinkie, at any rate, her tail lowering and raising like a lever from her jumping. Twilight's eyes locked in on it. Being in . . . l . . . lo . . . l . . .whatever she was with Pinkie made her notice the oddest things. Like that Pinkie's tail was swaying up and down instead of left to right. Before Twilight could notice in her enchante, her tail started arching itself, like a ocean wave. In fact, the wave shape moved from her one of her tail to the other, really making it look an seafront waves traveling through it. The swishing movements kept changing in tempo, trying to synch-chrono-nize with Pinkie Pie's tail. Twilight was still a little aware of herself, enough to not be a danger, but insufficient to prevent herself from suddenly bending all four knees, making her stomach mere inches off the ground. She unbent her knees, then bent them again- a dance movement to accompany Pinkie's own. She might've started humming any second now.

"Twi'? Ya all right there, pardner? Whassup wit' yer tail?"

Oh, hay! Twilight swore to herself at Applejack's return. Quick, think of a lie! No! Lying is a terrible thing to do to friends! Think of an ambiguously-worded response!

"Oh, hello again, A.J! I was just . . . distracted by something I saw in the stalls."

"Somethun' tha made yer tail go all wavy?"

Twilight attempted to do something she had only recently learned to do with much and strange training- blushing on command. With her thoughts about Pinkie, she reasoned with herself if she could make herself blush when she wasn't actually embarrassed, it could make her shoddy excuse believable, and her believable ones even more so. She 'cheated' a little with it, having a tiny of amount of magic used for it- just small enough not to be noticed by magic-insensitive ponies. Celestia would've seen right through it.

"Yeah!" Twilight answered, cheeks painted over. "What . . . can I say, Applejack? It . . . hypnotized me."

"Hypnotized!?" Applejack exclaimed in surprise. "Why, that's cheatin'! No-good varmint's gonna hypnotize all the townsfolk into buying his stuff! Where is he, Twi'? Ah'll buck some sense into 'im!"

Twilight 'eee'ed. That hadn't gone the way she wanted it to at all!

"Uh, Applejack? I think it was supposed to hypnotize me. You know, it was a gaudy show-off. Like a magic 8-ball."

Applejack raised an eyebrow. "Y'all mean . . . like a novelty item store?"

Oh good! A reasonable explanation. "Yeah! Like a novelty store!"

"Twi, Ah don't think the market has any novelty stores."

Oh, come on, Applejack! Either provide a reasonable explanation that lets Twilight off the hook, or question her something she has to answer about quickly! Don't flip-flop between the two!

. . . Calm. Gotta stay calm. Frustration clouds judgement . . . and makes excuse less believable, more flimsy. Calm. Calmness . . .

"I think it's that way." Twilight pointed to the far end of the market. Applejack took off running for it.

Twilight turned the opposite direction to gallop away, putting enough distance between her and Applejack that the time it would take for Applejack to get back, Twilight would have something acceptable to answer her approaching exclamation of "It's not there!" But when she turned around, she immediately saw a pair of bright, blue eyes staring at her.

"GYAH!" Twilight literally jumped backwards in fright. Taking in deep breathes, during which she caught the faintest, faintest hint of pastries in the air. "Oh, Pinkie! . . . You sca- . . . " Twilight stopped. Pinkie would've been upset to know she had scared her friend. "You surprised me."

"Oh, did I?" Pinkie squealed in her usual tone of voice. "Good! I love surprising ponies!"

Twilight started brushing her hair into her eyes, so as to avoid looking too directly at Pinkie's and getting lost in them . . . so blue and bustling with unending energy . . . like the endless sky . . . oh, Celestia! She wasn't even looking at them and was doing it anyways!

"W-w-what are you doing here, Pinkie?" Twilight blubbered out, sounding more like their friend Fluttershy than herself. She was prevented from getting an answer by a returning Applejack.

"Gosh darn it, Twi'!" Applejack said as she came back. "Ah went through eve'ry inch of the market and Ah can't find the gosh darn thang!"

"What are you looking for?" Pinkie asked.

"Sum novelty store. Twilight said she saw it." Applejack answered.

"Oh, really?" Pinkie questioned, looking confused. "They must be falling down on the job."

" . . . Wut?"

"The novelty shop's only open from six to eight." Pinkie explained. "Nopony's supposed to be able to see it at any other time. So, since Twilight saw, the pony who operates the disappearing wands must not be doing their job well!"

Applejack was bewildered at first, but when she thought about it, the novelty store being invisible in the market except for certain times made sense for what it was. The late time kept impressionable young ponies from trying to purchase something with their allowance that would pave the way toward a life of mischief. Best if the prank items were all left to the adults who knew the limits of what was 'okay' on that sort of thing. Neither of them noticed Twilight signing in relief.

"Right, so anyway, what was I doing here was looking for you two!" Pinkie belatedly answered Twilight's question.

"Shore thang, sugarcube. Whaddya need us fer?"

"I'm having a picnic later today! I was hoping you two could come! I mean, Rarity, Fluttershy and Dash are all going to be there, so I was really hoping you two could come, because if they were there and you weren't that would be sad and I don't like-"

Applejack stuck her hoof into Pinkie's mouth. "We'll come. Right, Twi'?"

"A picnic?" Twilight exclaimed, caught off-guard. "Oh, gee, I don't know . . . I, uh . . . I have to go blow something up for the Princess."

"Ooh! I love, love, LOVE blowing things up! Who doesn't, right?"

"Wait now, Ah thought y'all already blew something up for the Princess the other day?"

"It's . . . I . . ." Twilight stammered. She had already done all the exploding of materials that Princess Celestia was going to be having her doing, at least for the month. Twilight looked at Pinkie Pie, beaming and smiling as always.

Because if they were there and you weren't that would be sad and I don't like-

You don't like making ponies sad. Twilight mentally finished the abruptly ended sentence, 'spite its having long passed away. I wouldn't like making you sad, Pinkie Pie . . .

"Of course I'll come, Pinkie!"

"Great!" Pinkie clapped her forehooves together.

"Oh, Pinkie!" Twilight said suddenly, remembering something. "Applejack said I should be expecting a visit from Cheerilee? And I think you have something to do with it."

Pinkie looked offended. "Applejack! You were supposed to keep that a secret!"

"Uh, eee . . . Ah, er . . . Ah . . . Ah have tah . . . Ah need to go talk to that colt that attacked Big Macintosh." Applejack nervously said, galloping off. "See ya at the picnic!"

Twilight nodded. "Uhm-hmm." Yes, A.J. The colt that 'attacked' Big Macintosh. Presumably, the farmer was off to give the 'attacker' a stern talking-to. Or maybe, instead, some compensation for being randomly picked out of a group of strangers to pretend to be an assailant.

Pinkie flashed Twilight a grin big enough to show teeth before turning around and bouncing off. Twilight's tail started doing that wave-bobbing thing as she watched her go.

Oh, Pinkie Pie . . .


Oh, Pinkie Pie, you couldn't possibly know

the amount of control

It takes for me to say just 'hello!'

And not invite you over

You couldn't possibly see

How much a foal you make of me

I -want you- . . . to wrap me up . . . in your curly tail.

Your flouncy ears, your bubbly, infectious smile-

Make talking to you

So worth while

Even if I can't have you in the sense I WANT to have you

So, for now, I'll just nod my head and smile

Smile, smile, smile, smile,

Smile, smile, smile, smile

Smiiile . . .

Smmmiiiillle . . .

Smmmmiiiiile . . . for you . . .


Twilight made a round-trip across the market, marking things off her grocery list, which had to be quickly altered to for some picnic supplies. It might've made her grunt in frustration-all the hours she spent carefully planning details down to the dot, all wasted. It was okay, though. It was for Pinkie. Nothing was too good for her.

After purchasing all that she had planned to and improvised to, Twilight started on her trek back home. She started wishing Applejack hadn't left: Twilight could've used a strong pony like her to help with the grocery load.

Pressing onward, Twilight eventually got back home where Spike was quick to notice that something had happened- he had lived with her for so long, it was easy for him to tell when something happened. In this case, it was that Twilight hadn't gotten items he didn't remember writing on any list that gave it away.

"So, what's up?" The baby dragon inquired.

"Pinkie Pie's hosting a picnic later today. I had to get some things." Twilight told him.

"Ooh! Can I come?"

"I don't see why not." Twilight answered, shifting, sorting and organizing the groceries. "Spike? Would you mind helping with these?"

"Sure!" Spike, humbled to help, happily hopped into action . . . but there was a slight nag. Twilight suddenly seemed unable to decide what to keep for her and Spike and what to bring to the picnic. It was quite evident just how much excessive control Twilight Sparkle was exercising over herself that Spike had no idea that the desire to lavish Pinkie Pie was what was making Twilight so indecisive.

Lighten up, Twilight thought to herself.

How!? She said to herself in response.

It's not like Pinkie Pie is going to know the exact nature of the groceries you bought and will get upset you didn't offer some at the picnic, right?

Well, with Pinkie she just might know what groceries I bought, but yeah, yeah you have a point . . .

That resolved with nothing to indicate to Spike his superintendent was talking to herself in her head, Twilight finally settled on an arrangement of the groceries. The ones on the list to start with would stay, while the things she hastily tacked on would go out with them.

Twilight looked at the clock. Pinkie hadn't specified the time, but she was sure Dash or Rarity would come get her for it.

"We still have some time before the picnic, Spike. Why don't you take some personal time while we wait?"

"Sure!" Spike agreed eagerly. Twilight knew how hard he worked. He deserved a little break every now and again. (Though sometimes he would pester Twilight for it just a little too much.)

With food packed into a bag, and not pressed for time, Twilight felt safe using her magic levitating a book out from a shelf behind her.

She hesitated, recalling the incident earlier that day. She closed her eyes in caution, levitated the book back, then picked out another one which she brought to her nose.

It was pink.

And to top it off, after turning her around to the shelf and doing some quick calculations, (quick to her, at least) the book she had picked it up first- which she had put back because she thought it was going to be pink- . . . was not pink.

Twilight signed in defeat and merely placed the book out before her. It was an impressive tome. A powerful tome. It was very, very rare for a book, which one of Twilight's dominating personality aspects was deep-seated fondness for . . .

To be able to bore her. Her! It sounds crazy, crazy, but there was something about this book that just got to her. That made her see why ponies like Rainbow Dash didn't like them. It went on and on and on about stupid things, things that didn't matter to the plot. Like dirt. there was a whole twelve pages dedicated . . . to dirt!

Twilight was finding it really, really . . . borin-aaaayaaaawwwnnnn . . .


Ohhhhhg . . .

"Where . . . where am I?" Twilight rubbed her sorely and looked up. She was in her little dream void. Normally, it was pitch-black with only a prop or two to suggest anything about her location. There was two.

The white unicorn DJ that was so often there when she was trying to track Pinkie's spellbinding tunes with a full set of equipment that was completely set up, stereos, turntables . . . the works.

Beneath Twilight's hooves, a bunch of glass panels. Looking very closely, closely into them Twilight could light bulbs. She looked at the DJ.

The DJ gave her an approving hoofs-up, smiled charmingly, and pulled out a record that she started scratching. As the music- techno, for all intents and purposes- started blaring out of the stereos, the DJ looked annoyed with her. The DJ motioned for Twilight to do something, but she had no idea what.

The panels beneath her starting flickering on and off in various different pattens and colors. Blue, yellow, red, green, white.

Twilight, struggling to grasp what the DJ wanted from her, started doing the tail-wave-dance she had done in the marketplace.

The DJ smiled and nodded her head approvingly. Apparently this what she had wanted!

Twilight did her little dance in best-as-she-could-muster sync with the stereos. The music began changing in pace and beat. Twilight, feeling confident from the DJ's approval, started improvising new dance moves which including bucking, standing on her hind legs alone and waggling her front ones from the sides of her body and cartwheeling forward. The lights beneath also sped up and starting forming faster, different patterns.

Then they stopped.

Twilight stopped dancing, perturbed as to why the lights would suddenly go out like that. The DJ started pointing at one light in particular.

Twilight looked at it, half-thinking she could figure out why the lights stopped. She could, actually. It was a very easy thing to figure out . . .

The next light, the light that should've lit after the last one that did before they all went out . . . was supposed to be pink when it lit up.

Her black dream world could have color, except that one. Her dream was void of pink.

Thinking more emotionally than rationally at this point, Twilight approached the supposed-to-be-pink light and tapped the glass once. She tapped it again, thinking she might be able to make it work.

She didn't see the DJ trying to hoofmotion for her to stop.

She tapped it one last time, then it gave way, sinking her hoof into the panel where it smashed the bulb.

And the power came on.

Pumping all the electricity that was supposed to go into the glass casing into her.

"AAAAAAAAH! AAAAHHHHH! AAAAAAAAAAAAH!"

The DJ quickly galloped over to offer aid, but the electricity seemed to have its own free will, for it blasted her backwards.

"AAAAAAAAH! AAAAAAAAAAEEHHHH!"

Wha-thump-a-thump!


Twilight didn't understand at first why Spike was clutching her body protectively.

"Spike?" Twilight barely managed to say. It was like her breath was short. "What are you doing?"

"You started whimpering." Spike explained. "Really badly, so I got worried. I think somepony's at the door."

"Right, right . . . " Twilight pushed herself up off the book she had fallen asleep, trying to show to Spike she was fine. Difficult, as the dream had scared her so badly that her real world body had started showing signs of fear. She hobbled over to the door and opened it to be greeted by an impatient Rainbow Dash.

"Hey, Twilight! Picnic's about to start. Where you been? Don't tell me you spent the whole time reading books!"

"A book." Twilight corrected, wiping the drowsiness from her eyes. "And I didn't read it, I feel asleep in it."

"You? You fell asleep in a book?" Dash was understandably incredulous.

"I know!" Twilight replied. "Who'da thought? Spike, get the food I bought!"

Spike seemed reluctant to leave Twilight's side, but he saluted and starting gathering up the bag, which was bigger than he was. (Not that that size was hard to reach . . .)

Dash raised an eyebrow, noticing Twilight's shallow breathing. "Hey, you okay?"

"Yeah." Twilight assured her. "Fine. Just had a bad dream. I'm fine, okay? . . . I'm . . . I'm fine."

"Uh, Twilight? You said you're fine four times."

Twilight looked away from Dash. Losing control again, losing. Need to get it back. Which wouldn't be as easy as normally. She wasn't fine. It was becoming quite evident that the electrocution in her dream had been intense.

"Come on. Let's go." Twilight insisted, moving herself around Rainbow Dash. "I should be fine, fine by the time we get to the picnic."

Dash and Spike exchanged worried looks before tailing behind her.

It didn't take too long for them to get to where Pinkie had chosen to be the picnic's location, but Twilight couldn't help but notice something . . . amongst the patch of grass, softly billowing in the gentle breeze, or rather . . .

"Dash, no pony else is here. I thought you said we were going to be late?"

"Well, yeah. Listen, Twilight, you're new here, so I don't know whether you're 'awesome' material like I am, and awesome ponies consider anything less than 'before everypony else gets there' late." Dash explained carefreely.

Twilight did her best to not be frustrated, but with her traumatic experience in the dream, it was hard to muster any control at all. She manged to keep herself from lashing out, but her face was making it more then clear she disapproved of Dash's doings.

Dash noticed. "Right!" Dash wrapped her shoulder around Twilight and pulled her in. "So, for future reference, you're not awesome material, amIrite?"

Twilight growled and shoved Dash off.

"Okay, I can see you're mad." Dash said backing away. "I'm gonna go fly while you cool off, cool?"

Dash zoomed upwards into the air.

Twilight was not cool with this.

"AARG! Spike!"

"What?"

"Go . . . do what Rainbow Dash is doing! I'm so angry right now, I might just do something I'll regret!"

Spike backed away, nodded, then skipped off over to the distance where he found a snail trailing on some plant. The baby dragon felt his instincts take over, rubbing his claws in anticipation of cracking the snail open and eating the gooey slug inside.

Twilight paced around in circles, trying to wait for her anger to fade. She took in a deep breath and exhaled. There was really nothing to be angry about. Sure, Dash had dragged her out early for a stupid reason, but it was better then being dragged out late for a stupid reason, right?

In fact, now that she was thinking about, what exactly was she going to do if Dash hadn't come over when she did? The thumping that was the first thing she heard . . . that been Dash's knocking and she was certain it had woken her up when Spike couldn't. She was about to call to signal Dash and Spike could come back now when she was approached from her side.

"Oh hi there! You're here early, aren't'cha?"

Pinkie Pie! Oh dear! She was so close . . . so close to her. If she was quiet, she could've said anything to Pinkie . . . anything . . . and Spike and Rainbow Dash wouldn't be any wiser, Dash up in the sky and Spike off chasing a snail like the immature dragon he was.

Before Twilight could command her body not to, her hoof shot around Pinkie's and curled it up.

Pinkie looked at the intermingled limbs oddly.

Twilight bit her lip, afraid of how Pinkie might react. Would she figure out how Twilight had been thinking about her recently? Was Pinkie going to shake her hoof and accuse of invading her personal privacy?

"OOOH! I get it! We're playing a game, right?" Pinkie exclaimed.

Twilight rolled her eyes. Really, even accounting that she was new to Ponyville, how long did it take understand what kind of pony-or whatever she was- Pinkie was?

Seeing an opportunity to put herself in the clear, Twilight told Pinkie yes.

"Yes, yes, we're playing a game!"

"What's it called?" Pinkie asked excitedly.

"I don't know yet. I made it up just now."

Pinkie gasped audibly. " (HUUU!) Made-up-just-now kind of games are my favorite kind of games! How do we play?"

"First, I put my hoof around yours . . ." Twilight wriggled the hoof she already had wrapped around Pinkie's. "Then I put my other hoof around yours . . ." Pinkie was all too happy to let Twilight wrap her other hoof around her's.

"Then what do we do?"

"Then we . . . " Twilight said quietly, silently. "Then we . . . " Twilight lifted Pinkie's hooves off the ground and started pulling her closer. "Then we . . . "

"Then what?" Pinkie whined. "The suspense is killing me!"

"Then . . . we-" Twilight was about ready to pull Pinkie into her arms and kiss her with all the ravenous intentions of a murderous predator when they both heard a startled yelp. Both ponies turned around to see a most . . . amusing sight.

Spike, looking quite uncertain of himself, hanging upside down, the point of his tail firmly clamping into Fluttershy's mouth the way mother lionesses bite on their cubs' manes to pick them up. Fluttershy's forehead was drenched in green guck, having been slimed over by the snail Spike had been after. Fluttershy had probably saved the snail from Spike and he was being hung the way he was as punishment. It was well-known that Fluttershy cared for animals of all shapes and sizes.

Fluttershy flew over to Twilight and Pinkie and dropped Spike in front of them.

"Have we learned our lesson?" Fluttershy asked commandingly.

"Yes . . . " Spike answered, embarrassed.

"Good!" Fluttershy reprimanded before reaching to her head and softly removing the snail from it. She flew away some distance, presumably to drop the snail somewhere it'd be safe from rampaging baby dragons.

"Hey," Spike said at the sight of Twilight and Pinkie's hooves curled around the others. "What are you two doing?"

"It's a game that Twilight made up just now!"

"A game?" Fluttershy squeaked fearfully. "Will we have to tackle anypony?"

"Nope! Well, maybe. Twilight's still making it up, aren'tcha Twilight?"

"Yeah . . . " Twilight answered, slowly lowering Pinkie's hooves and unclasping the. "It's . . . still a work in progress."

Dash came flying down. Rarity and Applejack arrived in different directions just afterwards.

"Well," Rarity said, levitating a water pail that splashed water about, "I brought this for Applejack, but I see it is Fluttershy who will require assistance in being cleaned up."

Applejack huffed, while Fluttershy bashfully looked up at the snail slime on her forehead.

"Come along, Fluttershy." Rarity guided Fluttershy away, so that when she dumped the water on the pegasi' head, the slime wouldn't overflow and get into the food.

Twilight was sitting there, torn while everypony started getting into the food. She wasn't sure whether to be angry her moment with Pinkie Pie had been interrupted before she could've consumed the pink pony in her lust, or thankful that she been prevented from making a serious move too soon. She barely, barely managed to decide on the latter. Barely.

"Right, right, face me, Flutteshy . . . " Rarity instructed, trying to position Fluttershy where the water wouldn't splash somepony's face. It'd would've been so rude of a lady to do that, eh wot?

"Oh!" Pinkie exclaimed between mouthfuls of cake. "Hey, Twilight! Wanna see something funny!?"

"Sure!" Twilight answered Pinkie's call eagerly and obediently, like a well-trained hound heeding the call of its huntsmare.

"Take my hoof!" Pinkie held her hoof out.

"All right then, just here . . ." Rarity muttered to herself, levitating the pail above Fluttershy's head.

Twilight took Pinkie's hoof, as instructed.

BZZZZZZZZZZZT!

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAH!"

The sheer volume of Twilight's scream caused Rarity to lose her grip on the pail, causing it to smaaaanng against Fluttershy's head and, despite Rarity's preventive efforts, splash water on everypony. Applejack, Rarity, and Dash all just closed their eyes in response, but Pinkie was too taken aback by Twilight's scream to register anything. Twilight swung her hoof outward, blinded by the water in her eyes and hair, causing her to twirl herself forward and step her hind hoof into some salad.

Twilight rubbed her hoof against her eyes, trying to clear them of water, to find everypony looking at her. Sure, a joy buzzer like the one on Pinkie's hoof gave a jolt, was a startling experience, and maybe it did warrant screaming, but that much, that loud? They didn't know. How could they have known about her dream, her dream, whereupon reaching for that lush color caused her to have been pumped with amperes and amperes of electricity, and in a way . . . in a weird, symbolic way, her dream had come to pass.

Maybe the scream was a little much, but scientific testing had shown then when somepony is hit by somepony close to them, the body really does react more then if it was a stranger. It really does hurt more to be hurt by somepony close.

And the most disturbing thing . . . the most disturbing, disturbing thing, the most unsettling thing, was that after a quick calculation . . . after Twilight's fast, quick numerical calculation . . . If Twilight hadn't been blinded by water when she swung her hoof . . . if she could've seen clearly . . .

She would've had slapped Pinkie.

Author's Note:

The 12 pages on dirt comes from a family member telling me about what's it like reading 'The Grapes of Wrath.' claiming as much for the book.

Sadness is meant to come from the Smile, Smile, Smmmmiii- 'cos yeah, it's from Pinkie's Smile Song. But it's not 'based' off it, it's referencing it. Make sense?