• Published 1st Mar 2014
  • 2,505 Views, 164 Comments

Our Little Homeworld - Horizon Runner



One hundred years ago, a satellite uncovered an object under the sands of the great desert. Now, ponykind begins the fateful journey to reclaim its long lost homeworld.

  • ...
4
 164
 2,505

Tech Supplement: Arrow

Arrow MK-I Light-Recon Fighter

Weight: 40 tons.

Length: 20 meters.

Max Acceleration (Standard Drive): 300m/s/s.

Armament: 2x Rotary autocannon, 24mm.

Other systems: Ailero-Arcano Energy Transformer (see notes).

Lead Designers: Flywheel LiirHra, with assistance from Sunset Shimmer S’jet.

Can Be Piloted By: Pegasus Ponies.

Notes:

The Arrow was designed as the Mothership’s dedicated reconnaissance and defense craft, and is generally regarded as a significant technological leap over earlier designs in all respects.

The Arrow was designed contemporarily with the MK-III version of the Blade-Class Heavy Interceptor (then designated as a Heavy Scout Fighter). Given the shortcomings of the MK-III and following MK-IV, and the subsequent shelving of the Blade Project, the Arrow was left as the Mothership’s primary autonomous scout vessel. It was the only armed support craft to be constructed before the Mothership’s launch.

The Arrow is armed with two light rotary autocannons, which are sufficient for dealing with most fighter-sized threats. However, they are inefficient against heavier armor, and essentially useless against anything larger than a corvette.

The ship is capable of about five hours of sustained flight before requiring refueling, which can be extended by using the boost system. In addition, backup fuel tanks can be attached to the outer hull to extend the flight time. The ship has its own sapphire talisman micro-reactor, which powers all magical and mundane systems. Its sensor suite is highly sophisticated, matched only by those of the Mothership and Research Ship. Its cockpit is not normally pressurized, though there is a tube which can supply a pilot’s spacesuit with approximately two weeks’ worth of oxygen, and a set of vents which can be used to pressurize the cockpit in the event of prolonged stays in space. The Arrow also contains stores of preserved food and water, which can be accessed in case of an emergency, and will last approximately twelve days. Both of these limits can be extended by conservative pilots. The Arrow’s cockpit can be accessed by a hinged canopy and can also be jettisoned as a basic escape pod, along with the oxygen and other supplies.

The Arrow’s most revolutionary feature is the “boost” system, more formally known as an Ailero-Arcano Energy Transformer, or AAET. This system draws magical power from a pegasus’ wings and diverts it into the ship’s engines and maneuvering thrusters through a series of focusing talismans, greatly increasing the ship’s acceleration and maneuverability. The boost system also transfers a fraction of the power to the inertial dampeners and gyroscopes, in order to compensate for the increased acceleration. This system was designed by Sunset Shimmer, known for her work on the Mothership’s neural control interface, and is based on much of the same technology. The system itself is poorly understood, as Sunset Shimmer left few notes as to its functionality, and there seem to be several redundancies and non-functioning components built into the original schematics. Removing any of these components resulted in vastly decreased performance and increased stress on the pilot, however, and thus all in-service Arrows use the original design.

Due to the layout of the controls and the nature of the boost system, this vessel could initially only be piloted by pegasi. Later versions were developed to allow unicorn and earth-pony pilots, but test results indicated a marked decreased in boost-system performance, as well as the lower average in flight-test scores expected with non-pegasus pilots. Arrow squadrons, therefore, consisted all but exclusively of pegasi, particularly those with high levels of magical ability.