• Published 10th May 2013
  • 6,176 Views, 254 Comments

Stitching it Together - ThunderChaserCreate



By popular demand, a sequel to 'Snip by Snip.'

  • ...
35
 254
 6,176

Stripes

I pounded my hoof furiously on Twilight's door, looking nervously over my shoulder for the appearance of Sweetie or Spike. There are no words to describe all of the thoughts running through my head, thoughts which were passing at such alarming speeds that I could barely process them.

I was breathing hard, though there wasn't really a good reason for it.

Twilight appeared, looking rather bedraggled, "What is it now, Rarity? This is no longer my responsibility, I hope you know."

"It's about to be your responsibility! Now, let me in! You're the smartest, and I need your help," I babbled.

She sighed, opening the door just wide enough to let me through. I smiled sheepishly, walking past her into the library.

It had rained overnight, so the air smelled damp and dewy, with the distinctive scent of wet wood floating around the building. All of the damage done by Spike the day before had been set right, though she probably did it herself.

"Now, what do you want? Because, while I love Spike as much as you do, I'm just about done with this undead business."

"Well... he bit Sweetie Bell."

Twilight turned to me, with a look that said both 'Dear Celestia,' and 'Well, duh.'

"I don't know where she is, but there was blood on Spike's face and all over her bed..." I trailed off, the tears I had been holding down starting to spill onto my cheeks.

"I hate to say this, Rarity, but it's your own fault.," Twilight said, "You did something that was never meant to happen, and now you have to deal with the consequences."

I sobbed out, "But I don't know what to do!" Then collapsed to the wood floor.

"I can't handle this... I can't handle any of this..." I murmured.

Twilight, rather reluctantly, put her hoof around my shoulder, "I know," she soothed, "I know."

I sniffed, smearing the back of my hoof across my face.

"Hey..." Twilight perked up.

"What?"

"I know somepony who could help!" she stood, galloping to the door, "Are you coming?"

"Where?"

"the Everfree, of course."

~~~~~

"Why have you come, my little ponies? Why are your faces so very stony?" the zebra looked concerned, though her rhyming made her seem not quite so serious.

"Something's happened," Twilight said simply, "And we think you may be able to help."

The door opened a bit father, but Zecora said nothing. Since she tended to rhyme all of her words, she only spoke when truly necessary.

There wasn't much room in the hut, for most of it was filled with pots and potion ingredients. It was difficult to walk from one side to the other without touching some unknown substance, so I sat down directly inside the door.

Twilight followed slowly after Zecora, who wandered toward the back of the room. the zebra grabbed a teapot and poured a mug for each of us, steam rising from the wood cups. Twilight passed the cup across to me, and I took a small sip of the strong drink, trying not to make a face at it's bitterness. I cleared my throat and set the cup down politely, not giving it a second glance. Twilight, on the other hoof, took a gracious sip, gulping it down delightedly. She sighed happily, leaving me to explain.

"Um... well, I don't know where to start."

"Begin at the beginning, how else would you say anything?"

I chuckled weakly at the rhyme, "Um... yes. Well, I've done something... something undo-able, and I've since regretted it. I created something that's causing a lot of trouble--"

Twilight cleared her throat loudly, giving me a look that prompted me to tell the whole truth.

Taking a deep breath, I blurted, "I brought Spike back from the dead!"

All were silent for a moment, as the weight of what had been done truly hit the three of us. Until this moment, it hadn't really been real. It was more like a story, something that was happening to somepony else.

"I know how you feel, for I have felt like that before. Once a zebra did the same, and he was abhorred."

I'm sure it was written all over my face how uncomfortable this made me feel.

"You see, although our tribe practices magic, never before had it turned so tragic.

A zebra whose name I shall not mention caused quite a large amount of tension.

A loved one whom he sorely missed was brought back, though she did resist.

The moment she returned to land, more from us did she demand.

Before we knew it, she'd killed many, only to return a-plenty.

We had to leave and burn the town, so no others would be brought down."

It was nearly impossible to draw enough information out of Zecora to know what was truly going on, seeing as she could only speak using a limited vocabulary of obvious rhymes. However, she knew more about this than anypony else, and I would get it out of her.

"That was your solution? Burn down the town?" Twilight had nearly choked on her tea, "There must be a better way."

"And I'm working on it to this day," she shrugged a bit, "Just try to keep him close to home, please be sure he doesn't roam."

I sighed, getting up to leave.

"There's one more thing that you could do--" Zecora called after me.

"And what is that?"

"Strike him down-- and bury him, too."