• Published 10th May 2013
  • 6,175 Views, 254 Comments

Stitching it Together - ThunderChaserCreate



By popular demand, a sequel to 'Snip by Snip.'

  • ...
35
 254
 6,175

Spike's Mental Breakdown

"Pinkie! Hello!" I said with a false cheerfulness, moving Spike to a guarded spot behind me.

"Don't give me that! You made a Pinkie promise, and I always always know! Then I came to Twilight's to look, and I saw Spike all blackish and weird and then," Pinkie took a deep breath, "I went like this," she screamed, "and then I ran and got the Cutie Mark Crusaders, since I saw them with those costumes on, and then I tried to come to your house to destroy the zombie, and then you came and Applebloom was like 'HALT--'"

"Yes, Pinkie, we were here for that part," Twilight stopped her.

"Oh, yeah."

Spike ran out from behind me, "Pinkie, it's me!"

Pinkie shrieked again, and smacked him over the head with her cardboard tube. The Cutie Mark Crusaders took this as a sign to attack, and soon Spike was on the ground being smacked by four paper towel tubes, whining all the while.

"Stop it!" I yelled, running into the crowd and shooing the four mares away.

Spike made some kind of noise, not a normal noise, kind of like a hiss or a moan, and ran down the road on all fours.

"After him!" Pinkie yelled, but Twilight grabbed her mane with her magic. She lifted Pinkie into the air, running after Spike as Pinkie struggled against the iron grip.

Spike was running faster than anypony I knew, even Rainbow Dash, down the street and toward Applejack's farm. I galloped as fast as I could, trying to grab Spike with my own magic, but he was just out of reach.

I was so focused on trying to catch Spike, I didn't see a large rock in the street. my hoof caught on it, and I tumbled forward. Twilight back peddled, trying to get me off the ground, but I waved her forward.

I got up on shaking legs, a large gash sliced across my knee. It was bleeding heavily, the blood trickling down my left leg. I limped down the street, the sounds of the other five sets of hooves still echoing in the emptiness. Suddenly, however, they stopped, and I saw a tiny dark speck coming toward me at an alarming rate. It was Spike, and his eyes looked dead again, just an empty sheen that wasn't natural.

"Rarity! Run!" Twilight's voice came to me, and I skittered around a corner, ducking behind a barrel. I looked through a little hole in the wood, watching as Spike paused, sniffing the air like a dog. He stood stock still for a minute, then jumped, like he had been hit hard in the chest. When he stood again, he stood on two legs, his eyes back to normal.

"I told you! I told you! Spike's a zombie! He smelled your blood!" Pinkie Pie, panting, pulled me off the ground. Spike looked horrified, just staring at the cut on my leg.

The gentle clops of another set of hooves faded into being, as a pony's face leaned around the corner.

"Hey, Ah was out in the fields and Ah saw... " the pony looked down at Spike, not having much of a reaction at all.

"Uhhh... Ah guess Ah'll leave you alone... " Applejack tried to walk off, but Applebloom stood in front of her.

"Yeh can't tell nopony about this! Got that? Nopony!"

"Wasn't plannin' on it. But... don't ya'll think yer a bit out of yer depth?" She looked at each of us in turn, receiving the same confused glace from each of us.

"You don't even know what really happened, do you?" I said.

"Ah've watched enough horror films to know that this ain't right or natural. Ah think ya'll should explain, at the very least."

"There's nothing to explain!" Pinkie exploded, "Spike is a ZOMBIE!"

Twilight clapped her hoof over Pinkie's mouth, "Do you think we could refrain from using the 'z' word in a populated area?"

"You call this populated?" Pinkie ripped away Twilight's hoof, "I told everypony that there was a supernatural being on the loose, so they all hid in inside their houses."

"You did WHAT!?" I screamed.

"Well, everypony except Fluttershy, since her house was so out of the way. Oh, and Rainbow Dash. She was on her cloud trying to take a nap, and I didn't want to disturb her."

Twilight smacked her face with her hoof, and everypony else just looked at the ground. Spike looked completely terrified, and grabbed my leg for comfort. I gave him a peck on the forehead to calm him down.

Applejack just looked confused, but she said, "Well, let's get him down to the barn. He'll be safe there. Then, Ah guess the next thing to do is bring Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash over to explain," she pulled her hat down over her eyes, "Ah can't believe this. Ah I can't believe Ah'm dealin' with this."

"Well, you are, so get used to it," I sniffed.

"Come on, Spike. We'll getcha someplace safe," Applejack put her hoof behind Spike, sliding him out of the ally. We all followed her, and Twilight picked up the dragon and set him on my back. He fell against my neck, hugging me tightly as I trotted towards the barn. I think he fell asleep.

When we reached the barn, I laid him down in the hay stack farthest from the door, then made myself comfortable beside him. After only a few minutes, I was asleep too, dreaming of the day when I would have my Spike back. The real Spike.