The Lunaverse 2,569 members · 202 stories
Comments ( 5987 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5,987
thatguyvex
Group Contributor

Y'know it occurred to me we had threads in this forum for just about any kind of discussion about the Lunaverse, but we had nothing for a spot just to hang out and shoot the breeze and socialize. Talk about things that have nothing necessarily to do with the Lunaverse.

So this thread be made for random talk about anything and being social.

So yeah, not that I am the most talkative person myself, but I'm bored, watching Farscape for no apparent reason other than someone else in the house put it on Netflix and apparently didn't shut it off. Makes good background noise while I either write or play SWTOR, because I'm too cheap to purchase Guild Wars 2 yet.

Does anyone else like to put on background noise while they write? I find if things are quite while I'm trying to type I just can't work up a good stream of thought. I need something mildly interesting on the background, whether it be a tv show or my friends hanging out chatting, and that somehow just helps put me in the zone.

Hi
Hi #2 · Dec 12th, 2012 · · ·

534896 one question what's Farscape? Also have an awesome pic that i absolutely love to post!

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

I often put on Rainymood.com when writing. Or sleeping, for that matter. Needless to say I had it on when writing the first chapter of "Tales of Ponyville."

I love the rain. But yeah, I usually need to have some kind of background noise. I hate the quiet.

InsertAuthorHere
Group Admin

You know, this might be a cool thread. :twilightsmile:

Makes good background noise while I either write or play SWTOR, because I'm too cheap to purchase Guild Wars 2 yet.

Heh, I still have an active SWTOR account. I didn't get into it as much as I had hoped, but my brother loves it. Heck, he's actually on there right now running a raid. I also have Guild Wars 2 installed, but it's been a little while since I played. I've just been busy with other things.

Does anyone else like to put on background noise while they write?

I do that all the time. I can't really function when things are completely silent, so I need something to keep myself working and my brain going.

Emeral Bookwise
Group Admin

Y'know it occurred to me we had threads in this forum for just about any kind of discussion about the Lunaverse, but we had nothing for a spot just to hang out and shoot the breeze and socialize.

Well, we do have the RANDOM: Randomness thread... though I suppose that's more for being goofy than socializing.

Ooh, that is a wonderfully zen website. You wouldn't maybe happen to know of any more such like it? I could use a few others; like something for a generic forest ambiance, peaceful sunny morning, and casual urban bustle.

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

Farscape is an sci-fi show from, I think the 90s? Late 90s? About an astronaut that gets stuck in another part of the galaxy on a spaceship filled with some colorful alien characters and his quest to get home while not dying. Ran for awhile and seemed pretty popular. Its not bad, but its no Babylon 5.

Oh, and that picture makes my brain hurt, but in a good way.

Hm, cool site. I usually just have a show on or some relaxation music from Pandora, but rain works too.

Heh, I still have an active SWTOR account. I didn't get into it as much as I had hoped, but my brother loves it. Heck, he's actually on there right now running a raid. I also have Guild Wars 2 installed, but it's been a little while since I played. I've just been busy with other things.

My friend keeps bugging me to try Guild Wars 2. From what I've seen it looks pretty cool, I'm just hesitant because my computer isn't all that up to date. SWTOR has the benefit of decent storytelling, but its gameplay mechanics don't have a lot of variation to them.

I do that all the time. I can't really function when things are completely silent, so I need something to keep myself working and my brain going.

Ditto. Its always a bit of a challenge for me though because it's got to be something just interesting enough to engage my brain and get its juices flowing, but not so interesting I end up focusing on it instead of what I'm writing. :twilightsheepish:

vazak
Group Contributor

Cool idea here.
I tend to bounce between needing music or not when writing sometimes it can be too distracting, though it's very important for my brainstorming time I hate there being no noise when I try to sleep so music is a must,I can't sleep with only the sounds of a house. :scootangel:

Hendy853
Group Contributor

THE DRESDEN FILES IS AWESOME.

That is all.

Zap Apple Smash
Group Contributor

Generally it depends on the type of scene I'm trying to write. If it's an action scene I'll try to listen to something to get me pumped or I try to find a clip with the right tone of the scene I'm looking for. That or I'll keep a web page of often random stuff open to help inspire me. I had written the chapter 6 of a Hard Bargain after watching few of my favourite Burn Notice action scenes.

If it's serious scenes then I'd be more inclined to use silence.

Zap Apple Smash
Group Contributor
thatguyvex
Group Contributor

Yeah, I figured the Randomness thread was good for posting up the silly stuff we find on the internets.

I can usually sleep in quiet, but its easier if there's something soft on the radio, or people are still hanging out in the house talking.

One of those series I have yet to check out, but I keep hearing its good.

I like using action music a lot, even for non action scenes, mainly because the music has a weird way of putting my brain at ease despite the way its designed to get you pumped. My biggest problem is finding pieces of music on youtube that last long enough to write a scene. Most are over in three to five minutes and I have to switch to something else.

Life should have a theme song. That would combat the boringness.

Hendy853
Group Contributor

Have you read Cold Days yet?

Hendy853
Group Contributor
Comment posted by Zap Apple Smash deleted Dec 12th, 2012
Zap Apple Smash
Group Contributor

Not yet. Planing on getting through it over the next couple of days. Have you?

I don't know why but after all these years of being a Dresden fan, this picture is still fricken awesome

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Don't know of any offhand, but I don't imagine they'd be too hard to find with a Google search.

Hendy853
Group Contributor

Amazon got it to me two days after it came out, I was done a day later.

For me, the defining moments of the Dresden Files is the battle at Chichen Itza. On one hand, we've got a baker's dozen of Wizards a faerie godmother, an incubus, two half vampires, two holy knights with assault rifles (who are being backed up by at least one archangel), a foo dog, an intellect spirit, an army of kenku, and friggin Odin. Fighting against Mayan Vampire gods with their vampire and mercenary armies.

... Changes was my first Dresden Book.

Though, the final battle of Cold Days, while not quite as over the top, just might have been even more awesome.

Blackbelt
Group Contributor

I'm glad this was made. Socializing is cool.

Zap Apple Smash
Group Contributor

Sound brillant looking forward to reading it. :pinkiehappy:

My first introduction was actually the 90 minute version of the "Storm Front" episode from the TV series. (say what you will about the rest of the series but that was pretty awesome). After seeing that I got interested in the series and starting reading it from the begining.

The first two books were decent and I enjoyed them but for me the defining moment was at the end of Grave Peril, not only did that book introduce me to one of my favourite of Harry's supporting characters (Micheal) the final confrontations was excellent. The series would go on to pile on the awesome, Grave Peril was where I started to love the series because, while not giving anything away, this was when we saw what Harry was capable of what he was willing to do to protect those who mattered to him.

Though Chichen Itza and the Zombie T-Rex is certainly in my top five :pinkiehappy:

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

534972: I still need to read it. It's next on my list, once I finish the current book I'm in the middle of (a mid-90's anthalogy of short stories about dragons. And by 'about' I mean 'have a dragon mentioned somewhere in them' in a couple cases, but the stories are still good).

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

My boss gave everyone a 100$ gift for Christmas! :pinkiehappy: Now I'm wonder what I should spend it on :facehoof: SO many things I could get!! :raritydespair:

534896 I like to put on music when I write. I found thatp laying Pony music really helps writing pony fics. :pinkiehappy: Like I'll find the Flim Flam brothers song or Smile Smile Smile on Youtube. In a loop. :pinkiehappy:

534935 When it comes to sleeping I don't have to do much to get background noises, considering I live at a relatively occupied intersection on a bus route. Near a fire station. It's not super noisy but there's still plenty enough of traffic for it to never be silent for long.

534978>>534994 You guys should try the Kate Daniels serie. It's a bit like Dresden but with a post-apocalyptic flare to it. To make it short: Magic came back. It came back hard and it doesn't like technology much. In this new world where all the tall buildings and moderm confort (including guns and cars) crumble everytime a magic wave washes over the world, a mercenary, Kate Daniels, end up in the middle of trouble with the most influential folks of Atlanta.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

Random note: how does one get colors to post here besides the few given from the color wheel?

vazak
Group Contributor

I have trouble with background noise I can't control, people talking or even walking grates on me and feel like I have no privacy, cars and stuff can be sort of relaxing in themselves though sort of like rain so long as they aren't to loud.

Can you give me the name of this books series it sounds awesome! :pinkiehappy:

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

My original NES still works, but I don't play much modern games. No time/money.

534972 Gah, I'm still waiting for that book. I love that series oh so much.

And for the first time since the first three or so threads, I WAS FINALLY NOTIFIED OF A NEW THREAD! Woohoo! I may finally be able to start being active here again!

Now I just need to come up with ideas and then be told that other people already did, so I can quickly catch up with the five hundred thousand posts you all put here :derpytongue2:

UNRELATED: I just got back from seeing Skyfall (movies are late here, but at least we get them), and found it to be pretty damn good. How many of you agree?

535040 That's too bad. I enjoy Halo 4, for example, even matchmaking (for once. I never used to enjoy playing with random people from around the world, but that game is different somehow)

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

535019 The serie is simply called Kate Daniels, by Ilona Andrews. The first one is titled 'Magic Bites'.

DagaYemar
Group Contributor

I usually turn on a radio when I need to work. I find it really hard to concentrate if there's nothing to distract me, though saying that out loud sounds... odd. Oh, except when I'm making PMVs, I need complete silence for that.

Don't even get me started on the Dresden Files, I will go on for hours! Seriously, the series is like water in a desert to me. Every time Jim Butcher puts out a new book I have to stop whatever I'm doing and finish it. Writing, editing, video games, school, my job, everything is put on hold until I finish it. The series is just crazy good!:raritystarry:

534899>>534973
Those are some awesome demotivators. I've got a folder of around 1400 of them, and those are going straight in. Thanks!

535053 I think I'll have to try that one too, actually. Thanks for recommending it!

535054 I know what you mean. I only wish I'd found it sooner. Oh well, I got to read 1 to 13 without a wait interruption, other than simply procuring the books.

vazak
Group Contributor

Thank you, I'll go look that up now. :pinkiesmile:

Zap Apple Smash
Group Contributor

535054>>535054
Yeah Dresden files is an awesome series.
Though speaking of Jim Butcher, has anyone here read the Codex Alerea series? I like the Dresden Files more but fans of High Fantasy could really enjoy it.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

535046 Well, I'm not too bummed about it. :raritywink: But sometimes the discussion veers into one of the games and I feel a bit lost. Ah, well.

I don't so much put on background music for anything I do, as much as my sister is usually in the living room at the same time. Something almost Zen about killing dragons in Skyrim, while Spyro is being played at the same time. :derpytongue2:

535069 Oh well. It sucks, but at least you're okay with it to an extent.

Umm...I got a PS Vita recently and have been playing Gravity Rush.

Shit be amazing yo. Blew my mind when I first started it up. :pinkiecrazy:

Blackbelt
Group Contributor

Good god, that game is awesome. I love it so much.

Froborr
Group Contributor

DRESDEN FILES!

*ahem*

Yeah, it's an awesome series. I want more about the Oblivion War, though--one dinky little short story is not enough! (My pet theory is that (Cold Days spoiler) is manipulating the Oblivion War as a cover, I want more info to confirm or deny!)

If I ever build up enough of a buffer, I'd like to give Dresden Files the My Little Po-Mo treatment. I'd call it the Dresden Files Files, but that's probably already taken so I need to think of something else.

Froborr
Group Contributor

BTW, sorry it's been so long since I've updated anything. Real life's been kicking my ass, and Lunaverse isn't on a schedule, so unfortunately I keep dropping it to the bottom. Also, turns out there's a certain level of RL suckage at which I can no longer get into ponies' brains well enough to write them.:fluttershyouch:

Oh no, the layout, this is YouTube all over again.

I blame Celestia Trollestia :trollestia:

Hendy853
Group Contributor

I have! That was awesome to! My favorite part of that series is when Tavi lures a bunch of sharks to stop Nasuag's army from swimming across the Elinarch. I realize that isn't anywhere near the craziest, or the most awesome thing Tavi does... but Cursor's Fury was the first Alera book I read.

Yeah, I'm basically a giant Jim Butcher fanboy. Seriously, the man is my all time favorite author.

Have you heard anything about the Steampunk book he's working on right now? Everything I've heard about it sounds awesome.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

So, I think RDD has experience with G1, at least. What are others' thoughts on the previous versions of MLP?

Froborr
Group Contributor

I vaguely recall seeing an episode or a movie or something when my age was in the single digits. There was a flying castle, and rainbows, and the bad guy turned ponies into some pretty bitching black-armored pegasi.

That is all I remember of it, and as far as I recall my only experience of MLP prior to this generation. In fact, I had no idea the generations between that and FiM existed until I heard someone refer to it as "G4."

vazak
Group Contributor

I think that sounds like Tirek, but he turned ponies into dragons with his rainbow of darkness, from his midnight castle.

Froborr
Group Contributor

Yes, it was dragons!

I wonder where I saw the badass black-armored pegasi as a kid, then...

vazak
Group Contributor

I'm helping :trollestia: though as a kid those dragons were actually pretty intimidating.

Not sure where there were armoured pegasi I'm afraid, but I've only wathced afew of the old G1 episodes, so I could have missed it if it was included somewhere. :twilightblush:

Froborr
Group Contributor

Thanks!

They may not have been from MLP.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

537783 I was vaguely aware of it, and knew they had more recent versions... and for some reason I had a unicorn as a kid... but other than that I didn't really have much experience with it. It didn't really air much around here.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

Well, time to answer my own question... ;)

*Ahem* I have vague memories of watching G1, mostly centered around the episode 'Revolt at Paradise Estate'. It was one where magic paint brings the furniture to life and they kick the ponies out of the titular Estate. Man, G1 could be scary and wacky! :derpytongue2: I've bought G1 on DVD and... honestly?

It's not that bad. It's a Hasbro cartoon from the 80's, for all the flaws and foibles. It's at least watchable, and has a number of good points to it.

vazak
Group Contributor

I owned the smooze episode and one involving two human ice cream guys starting a war with one another, that episode always left me hungry as a little kid. Besides that I was barely aware of it, I knew that there were later version but I avoided them, after discoverign G4 I went to youtube and watched all the adventure episode of G1. some weren't awful Grogar and Tirek were actually very good, for the quality/time period. that rock dog/mountain and shadow guy where pretty interesting though not as well executed.
But I think it say's something when I prefer the villains to the main character. In the old series anyway. Oh and Winwhistler, cos she was awesome! :scootangel:
I never watched the other generations, though I watched a doco about all of the generations and that only convinced me to avoid them more.
But yeah I agree 80's MP wasn't that bad, can't compare to G4 but it had it's moments to em at least.

Also my spell checker on this site has stopped working... not sure why. :pinkiesad2:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5,987