Comments ( 2027 )
  • Viewing 1,901 - 1,950 of 2,027
InsertAuthorHere
Group Admin

Welp...new Star Trek trailer...

This is going to suck.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

4921842 So that's a thing now huh? 'Kirk Girls', like 'Bond Girls'? 'Cause I don't see now blond british babe that was SO not there for the eye candy last time...

And is that Starfleet's base in San Fransisco... getting destroyed... AGAIN?!? OH MY GAWD! You can get into Earth's Orbit like you can go to Starbucks! GEEZ Guys! Put some of that giant steel spire budget into some sort of SPACE DEFENSE would you?! AUGH!

Alchemystudent
Group Contributor

What gets me is two things.

1) The producers kept saying that they were going to keep to the feel of the original, that the would stay true to the spirit of the show. Since when was any of that in the show??

2) You know when this is coming out? The 50th anniversary of the show. And that...is dissappointing to me. Star Trek is, arguably, more well known and on a bigger scale than Dr. Who, and we are getting this movie for the the 50th. This is what we are getting? This is the big thing we want to use to celebrate one of the most iconic sci-fi shows on the planet? Maybe I am being unfair here, after all. I mean, what did we get for the Doctor who 50th?

A biopic that talked about the legacy of Doctor Who that ended with the 11th showing up with a smile that represented that the show would carry on.

A special starring John freaking Hurt, and the two more modern famous Doctors.

A special featuring 5,6,7, in an awesomely hilarious story

A special before the 50th that gave confirmation that yes, Big Finish is in cannon and here is the 8th Doctor in all of his glory.

A comic story line that featured all 11 doctors being awesome

A Big Finish story featuring 4,5,6,7,8 and a cameo by 1,2,3 in an adventure against the master

And to finish, a regeneration story featuring Matt Smith saying goodbye in such a way that I will tear up every time I see it (Matt is my doctor. I started watchign the Doctor around christmas)

And what do we got for Star Trek 50th? Just a movie that wants to be something else so badly that it aint funny.

I'm sorry, I guess the 50th for Doctor who got to me. I want all the captains in an adventure together, I want a biopic that shows why this show is awesome (Complete with a scene of young Will Shatner coming out of a stage becoming old Shatner to a throng of adoring fans) I want a comic of timeline adventures, I want something to show us all why this series is just as great as Doctor Who

La Vallett1
Group Contributor
RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

4928557 You know... I'll admit it. I really preferred 'the Spectacle' to Rara's piano song.

GreyGuardPony
Group Contributor

Dear lord, I just saw this thing. I didn't think that anyone could have done a worse job directing the Star Trek reboot than JJ Abrams, but, damn it, they found a way! The director of The Fast and the Furious? REALLY? Beastie Boys as your music choice for the trailer? What the hell am I looking at? What the flying fuck is going on? THIS. IS. NOT. STAR TREK!

The only, and I mean only redeeming thing to come out of that trailer is that Karl Urban really does almost perfectly capture the character of Bones, which he did well in the last two movies too. And I imagine that the rest of the cast- minus Chris Pine- will do well too. I just don't see any of them having a good scrip to work with.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Simon Pegg swears that the trailer is not indicative of the actual product and that Trek fans should hang in there; the trailer was made (not by Pegg, or indeed anyone involved in the movie itself) specifically to cater to Star Wars fans since it was released with Star Wars.

Pegg's shown himself to be a really talented script writer and I do believe he honestly loves Trek, so I'm willing to hold out hope.

GreyGuardPony
Group Contributor

Well, Simon Pegg being involved in the writing does make me a little less nervous about the movie. Just....dang, that trailer is insanely tone deaf.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

WARNING: STRONG LANGUAGE AND BLACK HUMOUR. DO NOT WATCH IF YOU ARE EASILY SHOCKED BY THOSE THINGS.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

The holiday season is now over for me. I have Thursday and Friday and can relax. And write, but mostly relax.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I don't know how many of you have listened to the 'It's a Pony Kind of Christmas' Album, I caught it a bit late for Christmas and I'm generally quite happy with it.

It's ten christmassy songs sung by a variety of MLP characters, mostly the mane-6. Each is changed to be nicely ponyish and in character for the singer.

It's a Pony Kind of Christmas (The Mane-6)
Jingle Bells (Rainbow Dash)
Deck the Halls (Rarity)
We Wish You a Merry Christmas (Twilight Sparkle)
Silent Night (Fluttershy)
Twelve Days of Christmas (Pinky Pie)
Last Year I got Coal for Christmas (Pop Fly, Why? I know, I think they just needed another male voice)
Jolly Ol' St. Nick (Spike)
Days Gone By (Applejack)
The Heart Carol (Choir)

Of the ten I think 'Days Gone By' is probably my favourite it's an adaption of Auld Lang Syne, and if nothing else the first line makes me tear up 'When family can not be here, having journey far and wide', I think that probably strikes a cord with almost everyone in one way or another.

My second favourite is probably 'Jingle Bells' the rather rocky story of Rainbow Dash kidnapping ponies to taken them on a high speed trip through the sky :rainbowdetermined2:

Anyone else got a favourite song?

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

I'm pretty partial to Twilight's rendition of We Wish You a Merry Christmas. Not only is Twilight's singing voice always pretty sweet to hear, this particular version of the song really suits her and I could totally imagine an animated sequence in the show for this song. A close runner up is Spike singing Jolly Ol' St. Nick. Spike doesn't get any real chances to sing in the show, so its kind of nice to hear in this case.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Something, something, Weeds parody.

Alchemystudent
Group Contributor

Sometimes, as a fan, you get questions in your head. Why do sentai weapon swords never match up to a good sword lenght. (Seriously, My lightabers are longer than most pr swords), why is my prop batarang impossible to actually put into a utilty belt, and why is it that megazords lose posebility the moment you combine them.

But for me, the most important question is...WHY DO MLP FIGURES HAVE CUTIE MARKS ON ONE SIDE!!! This is a new phenomenon, as I have some G1 dolls and they have cutie marks on both sides, but G4/ nope! Cutie mark on one side of the body. I thought this would be fixed over time, but...I just bought a poseable Dash (The closest I'll have to an mlp figurart.) and there it is, one side and only one side. this happens on the funko figures, the plushies, and everything else. Why? Cheaper? they think there is nothing there?

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

4987537 You know what's even odder? The cutie mark's not on the same side. On one Rainbow Dash brushable, it's on the right side. On an Applejack brushable, it's on the left. What the hell?!

Alchemystudent
Group Contributor

I know, its like they can't even be consitant with their inconsitancy. just, why?

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

4987537 There's actually regulations in Japan regarding the maximum length of a toy sword. It's like how in America we got the orange cap rules.

Alchemystudent
Group Contributor

No way, really? I did not know thaty, honestly. Do you know if it's something related to the meji era way of thinking (Going back to the no sword ban. Have no idea if this is still in effect)

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

4990729 Probably. In Japan when it comes to private weapon ownership (swords OR gun) the default is 'you can't have one' with rules made for exceptions, rather than the American way of thinking where 'you can have one' with the rules preventing it being the exceptions.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Maximum length? Huh, interesting. I wonder what caused that to come around?

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

4990832 Maybe a kid bomped another on the head with one too hard? Or it's leftover from when owning a real sword was outlawed?

Alchemystudent
Group Contributor

Like I said, a leftover idea from the Meji era when they didn't allow swords. (Sorry, just got through with a Kenshin Marathon and my mind was on Meji ideals) Maybe it was their way of going back to that.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

5154834 Not as creepy when Pinkie does it, actually...

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

5154921 I think the animation was meant to be cute.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

I think Emeral would love this:

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

Let's revive this thread with something both random and cute.

Source

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

5721812 You succeeded on both fronts. :)

Alchemystudent
Group Contributor

Ever had a manga or anime that you know is against the grain for you? Oh no, not a guilty pleasure, I am talking about that anime that you say to yourself, "But, I normally hate this genre, why do I love this?"

I think I found mine.

It's called Princess nine. An anime with a kicking opening about a team of girls that play Baseball. The characters are great, the story is actually intense sometimes, and it moves at a good pace.

Yet, I should not love it because I kind of hate sports anime! With the exception of one other...

Eyeshield 21.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

5773317 I love Princess Nine!

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

5721812 :rainbowlaugh:

Size look a liiiitle bit off...

We never did figure out what to do with Bacon Hair in our stories... I kinda want to still give her the same EG arc... She's just a great protagonist...

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

5775344 I thought you all were going to make her a kind of incompetent antagonist with Lightning Dust like Team Rocket.

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

5775645 Not incompetant, more like non-evil. Like they would not have been friends to the Luna 6, and not above petty rivalry but not outright criminals.

But that was before we had three movies of her as the main character XD I might be too much of a fan now... :rainbowlaugh::twilightblush:

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

5863291 Rocking out, Equestria style!

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

5864060 Imagine her playing Thunderstruck with her lyre.:rainbowlaugh:

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

Her and Octavia maybe?

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

5866262 And the audience would think they are watching a couple of madmares.:rainbowlaugh:

Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

5867420 Heavy Metal already exists in the Lunaverse so maybe not so much?

InsertAuthorHere
Group Admin

Don't mind me. I'm just using necromancy to celebrate the fact that this meme is somehow still alive.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

5927921 Hey, at least we know that old things like this thread and this meme are still somewhat alive.

Talon and Thorn
Group Contributor

I really like that if you go back to previous shots of her bedroom there are kites in here. They didn't just make it up for a one off joke they always did have Starlight liking to fly kites.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor
La Vallett1
Group Contributor
Fizzy Orange
Group Admin

5928058 That is SUPER cute! And that Dash voice is SO good, I was convinced those were samples from the show! Animation is pretty fantastic, though I feel like their ears are too pointy.

La Vallett1
Group Contributor

I find imagining Octavia speaking with a Cockney accent funny.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

I'm finding it funny, too. :D

• Viewing 1,901 - 1,950 of 2,027