The Lunaverse 2,571 members · 202 stories
Comments ( 237 )
  • Viewing 101 - 150 of 237
Lev the Lurker
Group Contributor

Also, I thought that Word of God said that ponies don't use restrooms? :pinkiesick:

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

That was a joke on Lauren's part, and The Last Roundup would seem to dispel that, anyway.

I notice a door to a basement, but no floor plan to it. Even if it ends up being just a box, shouldn't it be included for completeness sake?

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Probably...I'll add it on later.

Wouldn't that be more a thing to happen in the "Fulttershy's house becomes a funhouse if it was made by Discord" Episode that was suggested just a little while ago?

¿Window? ¡I thought that it was a door! ¡EveryPony uses it like a door! ;-)

Seriously, I like how the upper story just is not an extrusion of the lower story. All it needs now is the plans for the basement and attic.

Quick question, and one I think needs addressed

Exactly how strong is Luna compared to her sister?

Now I know that Corona owned her when she came back, but if they ARE sisters, shouldn't Luna be at least close to Corona in power?

Here's my thought on this:

Princess Luna has always thought of her self as weaker, as being the little sister. She didn't have the drive to use all of her power like Celestia did so, I'm thinking, that she subconsciously limits herself without even knowing it and it became first nature for her over the millennia to let Celestia take charge. And when she fell and became Corona, Luna didn't face her head on. She used guile and trickery to do it.

In short, I think Luna is weaker than Corona only because she THINKS she's weaker than Corona, nt because of any genuine difference in power

vazak
Group Contributor

On a personal level I would not agree with this idea; Luna discussed the power difference between herself and Celestia in "Early Reunion" and said that Celestia was stronger. While they are sisters they are not twins and even then that's no guarantee of equality in terms of power/knowledge/ETC. That's not to say I would think Luna as significantly weaker than Celestia, but I think she is genuinely the less powerful sister. My apologies if I came across as snippy here.

1003294 you don't gotta apologize, dude

Yer just setting the record straight

but what is the power difference?

Pontiac56
Group Contributor

1003548 I would stage a guess that when it was just Celestia and Luna, Celestia was only slightly more powerful, possibly because she is older, or the power of the sun is stronger or something along those lines. When she became Corona, it affected her the same way Nightmare Moon did in the Maneverse. The darkness corrupted and altered her, increasing her power, but also twisted her mind until she couldn't even really be considered Celestia anymore.

Basically I would assume that the power between them wasn't a huge difference until she became corrupted then the scales altered. To what extent I couldn't say, but since she didn't even seem to break a sweat taking Luna down, I would say it was significant

vazak
Group Contributor

I'm glad to hear that. :twilightsmile: As for the power difference, i'm afraid I don't genuinely know. Within normal show canon, it's never really been established, beyond some slight interpretation and some statements made by some of the writers/creators of the normal series. Within L!verse, I'd say we'd have to check with RDD, though we will likely be expected to keep it vague. But I could be very wrong.

I think that's a solid line of reasoning; but i'm not quite sure if it works for L!verse, I could be wrong though. But my reasoning is that within L!verse canon, Luna suffused herself with dark magic/Nightmare Forces so she could defeat Celestia. While in comparison Corona is just Celestia while suffering from temporary insanity and sever Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Though I could be wrong.

Sorry for not responding sooner. :twilightsheepish:

1003816>>1003677 Well what about this?

The difference inpower is more akin to the difference in power between Superman and Supergirl, with Celestia being the ;Superman' here. always self limiting her powers ad whatever, and Luna being 'Supergirl', not limiting her powers near as much but still having potential to be AS powerful as the other, only with Luna choosing not to take it because she's afraid of crossing that line that her sister did.

This theory could further be reinforced by the evident differences in leadership shown between the two. While we see Celestia definetly show trickster mentor traits, it look like that's how Luna prefers to operate: with Guile. Since, in the show, a lot of the magic we SEE her use is basically mind/illusions, that could simply be her MO, as oppose to Celestia, her seems to prefer HARD, or REAL, magic. And from the looks of how surprised she was when Corona broke out, she genuinely didn't think that she'd be getting out... ever.

In short, Luna is weaker due to her preferred methodology and lack of effort, rather than in pure might that she could have developed but chose not to because she didn't think she needed to or didn't want to

Pontiac56
Group Contributor

I was only staging a guess, but your right, in lunaverse canon, Luna did use dark magic to take on a Nightmare Moon form to trick Corona and defeat her with the elements of harmony so what there power levels are does seem a bit confusing. None the less I don't really think it's too much of a concern, as we have stated that due to the elements of harmony, Corona is now in a weakened state and won't be back to her full power for probably the remainder of the Corona arc so there really isn't much point trying to work out the difference.

vazak
Group Contributor

Interesting idea, it's certainly well thought out; i'm afraid I don't know much about comics, but that didn't stop me from, hopefully, understanding what you were saying. Though if we take M!verse canon into the picture, Luna has shown herself using a number of direct spells, including summoning storms, turning toys into living monster ETC. Regardless, I doubt I can provide an answer on the matter of Celestia and Luna's power, so it might be best to bring this up to RDD. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Very good point regarding the shift/reduction in power.

Comment posted by Commando-Scarecrow deleted May 19th, 2013

1004104 wait...

When did Night Mare Moon show up? What story?

997626 so what do you think, Chief?

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

She makes a brief cameo in An Early Reunion, sort of.

As for spellcasting power levels...well, on a scale of 0 to 10, this is how I see it:

0. Dinky, Snails, Sweetie Belle, etc. Unicorn foals who've discovered basic magic
1. Lyra, Trixie, Rarity, etc. Most unicorns.
2. Shining Armor/Clover the Clever/Trixie (if she really, really pushes herself)
3. Twilight Sparkle/Future Dinky/Starswirl the Bearded
4. Twilight Sparkle (alicorn)
5. Young Cadance (An Early Reunion)
6. Cadance (modern times)
7. Twilight Sparkle (alicorn) (after a few millenniums)
8. Luna/Cadance (after a few more millenniums)
9. Corona (after being hit by the Elements in LNLD) and Nightmare Moon
10. Celestia/Corona (first appearance)

Note that Celestia being stronger than Luna isn't a result of their age - when you're something to the effect of 40,000 years old, a few years either way isn't going to make a difference. Celestia is just naturally the more powerful of the two.

1005128 Still...

It seems like, if they are as close to power as you claim, Luna shouldn't have been able to get so badly beaten when Corona shows up unless she let it happen and wanted Trixie to save the day, or something to that effect.

Unless each level is similar to earth quake magnitudes, where it's multiplied by a fixed amount or something like the Super Saiyan transformations

On a related note: Wouldn't it be awesome if we get to see Luna go full force against her sister? To see at least some kind of epic battle where Luna is actually able to hold her own, at least as a holding action?

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Everyone's a little bit racist sometimes!
Doesn't mean we go around committing hate crimes!

Being a fan of White Wolf products like Vampire: the Masquerade, I decided to do up these: stereotypes that the various races of the Lunaverse have towards each other as told by a stereotypical member of their race. I'm thinking of adding it to the Lunaverse main page.

What do you think?

Alicorns
As there are only three alicorns, and each is very different in terms of personality, no generalizations can be made about their views on other races.

Earth Ponies
Alicorns: Why d’ya think Equestria is the greenest, fertile-ist place in the whole world? ‘Cause Luna and Celestia and Cadance have been walkin’ it for so long.
Pegasus Ponies: Ah can plant, fertilize, harvest and till all day long, but crops ain’t gonna grow without sun n’ rain. We all do our part as best we can.
Unicorn Ponies: Few years back Ah ran into some trouble with locusts. Unicorn friend of mine sent ‘em away quick. Woulda’ lost the whole crop without ‘em.
---
Sea Ponies: Wonder what they eat down there…
Crystal Ponies: Hear tell they was earth ponies once, an’ still are in some ways. They ain’t quite like us, but they’re still kin.
Cervids: Gotta respect anybody that can live that far north with griffins n’ dragons n’ such an’ still prosper.
Griffins: Let’s just say there’s a reason why us earth ponies tend to stick to the southern parts o’ Equestria.
Dragons: Ain’t never seen one. Don’t ever want to.
Diamond Dogs: Ah stumbled on a hole once that was either made by one of these or the God of all Gophers. Least these ‘uns don’t steal mah crop.
Salamanders: …you mean them little critters down by the pond?

Pegasus Ponies
Alicorns: Bet I’m faster.
Earth Ponies: I’m not into the whole “starving” scene, so I guess the ground-pounders are alright.
Unicorn Ponies: You know what this place would look like without unicorns? Cloud, CLOUD, cloud, cloud, CLOUD, cloud, thundercloud, cloud, cloud.
---
Sea Ponies: That’s nice.
Crystal Ponies: Neat.
Cervids: Last time the dragons got an Overlord, he and about a thousand dragons attacked the horn-heads. The dragons needed a new Overlord after that. They don’t like griffins either, though, so that’s good.
Griffins: Wings, check. Weather magic, check. Only they’re bigger, stronger, and got claws, and want to eat you. There’s a REASON why even with Princess Luna and the Kingdoms fragmented, they’re still considered a threat.
Dragons: I’m faster and can turn better and I thank the stars for that ‘cause it does not look like a good time down that throat.
Diamond Dogs: Um…why should I care?
Salamanders: Huh?

Unicorn Ponies
Alicorns: Oh how I wish I was an alicorn…perfectly poised, perfectly proportioned, and all that magical power…
Earth Ponies: Oh, I have many earth pony friends! We meet all the time! Just…at my place. Where there’s no dirt. Wipe your hooves, dear.
Pegasus Ponies: For being the cleanest of all ponies – physically, that is – they sure do like to get down-and-dirty a lot, and I mean that in every sense of the phrase.
---
Sea Ponies: Oh, what a magical world it must be beneath the sea!
Crystal Ponies: One day I’ll figure out how their magic works.
Cervids: Tell me how your Runes work!
Griffins: For being meat-eating warlike savages, they can be surprisingly noble at times.
Dragons: One does not talk about such dangerous creatures in polite company.
Diamond Dogs: Ugh! No, those aren’t real, are they? Jut earth pony stories meant to frighten foals?
Salamanders: Oh, I’ve heard of those! How exotic!

Sea Ponies
Alicorns: There aren’t just three, you know.
Ponies: Equestria is an impressive little principality, I suppose.
---
Crystal Ponies: I was told there were only three tribes of surface-pony…
Cervids: They’re all afraid of us for some reason. Some kind of myth. They actually think we’re going to drown them!
Griffins: Fine, have the sky.
Dragons: We have dragons down here too. And they’re not nearly as nice.
Diamond Dogs: What is a ‘dog’?
Salamanders: Yes, they’re down here, too, at sea vents. Unpleasant in the extreme.

Crystal Ponies
Alicorns: I’m not certain I trust anypony with that kind of power.
Ponies: No, we are not earth ponies. Not anymore.
---
Sea Ponies: We’re from a landlocked empire. We don’t exactly see each other very often.
Cervids: I guess they’re okay. When they're not fighting everything around them just because they can, that is.
Griffins: For being meat-eating warmongers, they’re actually pretty okay neighbors.
Dragons: Stay away.
Diamond Dogs: We’ve…encountered each other, yes. Frequently. Increasingly, actually, which is worrying…
Salamanders: Never heard of them.

Cervids
Alicorns: Across the land in secret places have we carved the great runes to protect us over thousands of years. Challenge us and despair, O mighty ones.
Ponies: They are soft and weak and so may remain in their soft and weak lands. We have no need for such places, for we are strong.
---
Sea Ponies: Away, sea-creature! Your songs will not entrance me!
Crystal Ponies: Even weaker! At least the other tribes will fight if pushed. These will only hide behind their Crystal Heart!
Griffins: Worthy and good foes! We shall drink and fight in this life and the next, yah?
Dragons: Come and die, lizard! Your fire warms me and your scales shall make a fine trophy!
Diamond Dogs: Devious little kobolds. They fight without fear. Weak when alone, but they never fight alone.
Salamanders: Ha! Look at the little dragon!

Griffins
Alicorns: That’s really not fair.
Ponies: We don’t want to eat you! That’s disgusting! If grass could talk would you still eat it?
Pegasus Ponies: We are stronger but they are faster. Oh what we could do if they only sided with us instead of their dirtlicking bretheren…
---
Sea Ponies: I’m sure they exist, and I’m sure I don’t care.
Crystal Ponies: They want to be left alone. They have little we want, and so we oblige them – for now.
Cervids: Excellent warriors, terrible soldiers. There is a reason why, for all their posturing, it is the Kingdoms that has ascended through the ages, and not the Clans.
Dragons: We have had some dealings. They are impressive in their own way, but lack organization.
Diamond Dogs: I have little interest in the ground, why would I care for what lies beneath it?
Salamanders: Delectable if cooked properly…what do you mean, you are not talking about the amphibians?

Dragons
Alicorns: Respect their power. Only a fool picks a fight they are doomed to lose.
Ponies: So many gems that lie just beneath their ground. It could be mine – all mine! – if not for their guardians.
---
Sea Ponies: Our underwater kin command their respect. But not their loyalty. This will surely change in time.
Crystal Ponies: If the legends are true…I want.
Cervids: Delectable, if you’re in the mood for meat, and don’t mind risking life and limb.
Griffins: I care not which is the strongest ant.
Dragons: MINE. STAY AWAY.
Diamond Dogs: You are not fireproof, little thieves.
Salamanders: If ever I find their nests, I shall have a forked tongue for every gem you have stolen!

Diamond Dogs
Alicorns: Run away!
Ponies: Ponies make things for Diamond Dogs, yes. They not know it, but that not matter. Yes.
---
Sea Ponies: Where ponies?
Crystal Ponies: Ah! Pretty Pony, please come with Diamond Dog? Yes? Please? Yes? No? Maybe?
Cervids: Nice to Diamond Dogs when Diamond Dogs show that they are strong! Hard to show that Diamond Dogs are strong, though…yes.
Griffins: They think they are better than Diamond Dogs? Diamond Dogs will prove you wrong! …Somehow! Yes.
Dragons: Sorry! Diamond Dogs sorry! You not eat Diamond Dogs, yes?
Salamanders: Filthy thieving snakes! They take what Diamond Dogs take! Get more Diamond Dogs! We attack! Yes!

Salamanders
Alicorns: Thiss all could have been ourss, but no…
Ponies: How can ssomething sso flammable be sso ssuccesssful?
---
Sea Ponies: You sstay on your sside of the vent, we’ll sstay on ourss.
Crystal Ponies: Never heard of them.
Cervids: Go ahead. Laugh at uss. Where do you think your sstuff goess when you’re off playing warrior?
Griffins: We’d have a real problem if they knew jusst how many of uss are living under their casstless.
Dragons: Very usseful. We don’t have to mine anything oursselvess – they do all the work for uss!
Diamond Dogs: Thieving dirt dogss! Get more ssalamanderss! Prepare to attack!

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

Wait, what's a Cervid again?

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Deer, water deer, and moose. From Elkheim.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

1040641 Ah, thank you. :)

They don't worship the twin gods Bambi and Bullwinkle, do they? :rainbowlaugh:

thatguyvex
Group Contributor

Man I loved White Wolf's stereotypes, probably some of the best flavor text for any of their books. Neat seeing some of the generalized attitudes here; I am now very interested to see a story or two about the Cervids.

Lev the Lurker
Group Contributor

Griffins
Alicorns: That’s really not fair.

Best part.

Their pantheon actually consists of eight main gods, with a ninth who leads them through troubled times with his nose which glows blood red...

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

1040812 Ah, fascinating. Was this ninth one shunned because of a childhood deformity, but rose above it?

Lev the Lurker
Group Contributor

They actually hung him from a tree by the neck for a week and a raven pecked out an eye, but through that ritual he gained great knowledge and power.

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

1040843 :rainbowderp: Yeah... sorry, not gonna go in that direction for Rudolph.

1040870 1040843

*DIES laughing*

Rudolph as Odin! That's freaking AWESOME and hilarious all at once!

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1040843: Is that a Dresden Files reference? (The series' latest book has Odin turning out to be the same as Santa). Or is that based on actual myths?

Lev the Lurker
Group Contributor

Oh niv dammit why'd you spoiler me there... my mate has been trying to get me to read those for a while now, but I picked up Butcher's other series, Codex Alera, instead (cause Roman Legions + Pokemon = EPIC). But no, that was just me combining cervids with Norse mythology, and Rudolph's nose with the Eye of Odin.

GrassAndClouds2
Group Admin

1041223: Er, sorry. (If it helps, it's not really an important plot point, at least not yet...)

RK_Striker_JK_5
Group Contributor

1041302 He needs the Holy Chariot for such a task, and the Sacred Coco.

Lev the Lurker
Group Contributor

You assume that I think these things through :derpytongue2:

What stories feature salamanders?

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Through Fire and Flames, by DagaYemar.

So Cervids have the Proud Warrior Race thing going on. Interesting. I'd like to see them turn up in some future fics. Not quite te direction I'm taking my own cervids, but of course, I'm keeping them diverse excpt for the culture imposed by the seasonal nature of their magic.

Anyway, I appeciated seeing that. So crystal ponies are a splinter of earth ponies that have developped into a sepperate tribe with their own magic? Pretty much the way I went there.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

The cervids are specifically based off of Vikings.

I gotta admit, this is making me want to set up something like this for my own world setting. o.o

And on the subject of 1005128 I have to admit I'm curious. The general feeling I got was that in the original show, NMM/Luna's powers and her own body were effectively 'frozen' at the time of her banishment. (Whether or not you take the comic as being canon could make that different.) As such, she neither aged nor gained in power. This would be why Luna still looks barely any larger than Cadance and the rest of the 'normal' ponies, while Celestia looks so much more like an actual horse. Am I right in guessing that that wasn't how you decided things were going to go with Corona's banishment? Given the sheer difference in timespan one would think that Luna would have caught up a bit more in terms of power otherwise.

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

No; Corona was entirely conscious the entire time of her banishment, though as a natural immortal, this didn't psychologically affect her the way it would a human.

My head-canon places Celestia and Luna at roughly 40,000 years old, but, while Celestia is the older of the two, it's only by a matter of a few years. So Celestia is, say, 40,000 and Luna is 39,997. When you're talking about scales that large, the fact that Celestia has only three or so years on Luna makes practically no difference to their abilities, and similarly, after 39,000 years prior to their brawl and Corona's banishment, 1,000 years of Corona being trapped in the sun and Luna doing her own thing, isn't really a whole lot of time either (it is, specifically, about 2.5% of their total lives lived thus far).

Celestia is just the stronger of the two, because that's just how she is.

*nods* Ok. That makes sense. :twilightsmile:

1043668 Ah, understood.

I gotta admit, this is making me want to set up something like this for my own world setting. o.o

Same here!

I have to admit I'm curious. The general feeling I got was that in the original show, NMM/Luna's powers and her own body were effectively 'frozen' at the time of her banishment. (Whether or not you take the comic as being canon could make that different.) As such, she neither aged nor gained in power. This would be why Luna still looks barely any larger than Cadance and the rest of the 'normal' ponies, while Celestia looks so much more like an actual horse.

That's the interpretation that I went with. Of course, my versions of the alicorns are not immortal and are a lot younger than their Lunaverse countrparts (my version of Luna isn't even fully grown) despite being a lot more powerful (my version of Equestria's sun is identical in every respect to our own and Celestia is moving it with nothing but telekinetic strength and yes, Luna could to, with a bit more difficulty).

Actually, the Alicorns were confirmed not to be gods by Faust directly, and Hearth's Warming Eve states that Unicorns can raise and lower the sun and moon. That pretty much proved my theory that the Alicorns are simply extremely powerful mutations with extended lifespans bordering on agelessness after a certain point, so far as I was concerned.

1043789 Oh, I never saw them as either immortal or gods. As I've said before, I saw them as something closer to a cross between the Exalted and the Avatar fom the Last Airbender.

That said, The Lunaverse has already established that they are gods and as such, it is too late too follow canon there.This isn't a problem though. Fanon is always in danger of getting jossed, but that doesn't make the fanon suddenly bad. Just no longer in line with canon.

*nods* Agreed. To a certain point, anyway.

Blackbelt
Group Contributor

It's AU, we have license to bend canon.

1005128 Along these lines, I think it is probably a good idea to establish the limits of what Trixie can and can't do with her magic, to differentiate her from Twilight Sparkle. From the first stories I read, it seemed like her magic had nowhere near the "horsepower" (ha ha) of M!Twilight, but she made up for this by being able to keep more effects active for longer, and she focused on illusions because they don't take nearly the amount of oomph as teleporting or transmuting something, etc. Which I thought was cool. And then I see stuff about casting spells by ear after seeing them once and so on, and I just think it'd probably be prudent to set (strict, restrictive) limits on what she can do, to prevent her from getting incrementally powered up and ending up "Twilight but better."

vazak
Group Contributor

As it stands I think that Trixie's magic can be broken down like this.

Her power (how much she can lift) is either slightly above or below average; her energy (how long she can cast a spell for) is fairly low so she can't cast for long without getting tired.

Her skill, (book learning) is very poor Trixie can rarely learn books form spells and generally needs them demonstrated to her or to have time to analyse them. Trixie' can learn spells by "ear" which involved watching someone else cast the spell and using her own magic/skill to take that spell apart and re-purpose it for herself.

This leaves Trixie's magical flexibility, she can cast quite a few weak spells at the same time and can adapt spells she knows well on the fly. But this requires that she frequently cast that spell so it would become easier to control and cost less mana.

That's how I tend to break it own anyway. :twilightblush:

RainbowDoubleDash
Group Admin

Well, at the same time, she also does need to get better over time...

Since I am steeped in D&D...

Abjuration: She has her basic shield spell, a five-foot airtight bubble. That should be fine as-is.
Conjuration: Very limited. Maybe very basic line-of-sight teleportation for herself, but it should always leave her dizzy and disoriented. She can conjure items to herself, though, as long as she's "tagged" them (this is via Lyra's lyre-summoning spell). She also has her lightning-cloud spell (which of course only produces very, very weak bolts of lightning).
Divination: I can see Trixie getting pretty good at this - Truth is a Scourge, for example.
Enchantment: While this is very much up Trixie's ally, it's also kinda' line-crossing, so she probably shouldn't learn them.
Evocation: None. This is pretty much the opposite of Trixie, so she should never learn anything from this school, except maybe how to light candles.
Illusion: Trixie's already pretty much a master of this. She should be shown to be able to construct larger and more complex illusions over time. She should never get the "illusions so lifelike that they're actually partially real!", though, 'cause I hate those.
Necromancy: Maybe basic healing spells, but otherwise nothing.
Transmutation: Except for how to turn Lyra into a bear, probably nothing.

Overall, Trixie's spellcasting should always keep in mind that she's an illusionist and a performer fundamentally.

• Viewing 101 - 150 of 237