Positive Ponies 3,479 members · 1,462 stories
Comments ( 32 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 32
23 KM To Nerdiness
Group Admin

For those who thought this movie came out in the 2000's, prepare to feel old...šŸ˜ˆ

And the winner is...

Toy Story

Now the whole idea about toys coming to life all started with an animated short they made in 1988 called Tin Toy, which answers the question of what it's like being a toy in the hands of a baby.

A few years later, Toy Story director John Lasseter asked Disney if they could make a 30-min Christmas special with Tin Toy, but they suggested the crew to just make a full length computer animated feature film instead.

Now that they got the thumbs up to do a movie, they need a story to go with Tin Toy and the world where toys are secretly alive.

The first story idea was about Tinny (the toy from the short) getting left behind and determined to find his way back. On his way, he meets an old ventriloquist dummy and the two end up in a preschool where they never get abandoned or forgotten again.

However, the people at Disney asked for changes. Not just on the story, but the characters as well.

For example, because Tinny doesn't look like the hot toy that every kid wants, they decided to replace him with a cool military space man named "Lunar Larry", then changed to "Tempest From Morph", then changed to "Buzz Lightyear".

And the ventriloquist dummy was changed to a cowboy suggested by character designer Bud Lucky.

The idea for the story came from Lasseter's favorite toys when he was a kid. Woody was inspired by his pullstring Casper doll, and Buzz was inspired by a G.I. Joe he had when he grew out of Casper.

Speaking of G.I. Joe, he was supposed to be one of Sid's toys that gets blown up. But Hasbro didn't like the idea of having Joe blow, and MATTEL didn't want them to use Barbie (who was supposed to be Woody's love interest, replaced by Bo Peep).

After the movie was released though, MATTEL did let them use Barbie for the sequels.

For the voices, they were thinking of getting Paul Newman (voice of Doc Hudson in Cars) as Woody and Jim Carrey as Buzz, to have a hidden message of how new Hollywood (Carrey) would replace old Hollywood (Newman).

Instead, for Woody, John only got one guy in mind...

Tom. Hanks.

To convince him to be in the movie, they did an animation test with Woody with an audio clip from another Tom Hanks movie, Turner & Hooch.

For Buzz, there were several actors that didn't wanna do it like Bill Murray or Billy Crystal. But after hearing that Chevy Chase didn't wanna do it, Tim Allen leaped in and accepted the role.

During the writing, then chairman of Walt Disney Studios Jeffrey Katzenburg would often keep poking at Pixar to make the film more "edgy".

But on Nov. 19th, 1993, when the Pixar crew went to show Disney what they've done so far...

My Lord...

Epic. FAIL. :pinkiesad2:

Famously known as the "Black Friday Reel", many of the Disney heads considered it unwatchable, and that they made Woody the biggest douchebag known to mankind. Seriously, just by watching a clip of him there just makes you wanna throw the sad, strange little man in the furnace!

It was so bad, that Disney wanted to cancel the whole thing. But Pixar refused for that to happen and went back to do a full rewrite. THEIR WAY.

And a few weeks later, Pixar went back to Disney to show the new version and......it was okay.

Not great, but good enough for them to decide that they could continue the project.

For the animation, since computers weren't as advanced at the time, it took them 4-13 hours to make, not one second, but just one frame depending on the scene.

The first scene they completed for the animation was the green army men scene at the beginning. To understand their movements, the animators filmed themselves walking with a pair of sneakers nailed to a board......and somehow they get paid to do this.

Although I would see that as a great motivational poster. :twilightsmile:

When it was released on Nov. 22nd, 1995, nobody would expect how huge of a success it would be.

Every critic praised the film saying:

"Entertaining as it is innovative, Toy Story reinvigorated animation while heralding the arrival of Pixar as a family-friendly force to be reckoned with."

At the box office, they managed to earn around $192 million domestically and about $404.8 worldwide, making it the highest grossing film of 1995. In terms of awards, it got 8 Annie awards, including "Best Animated Feature", and it got a Special Achievement award from the Academy Awards. Not to mention 3 Oscar nominations for "Best Writing", "Best Original Score" and "Best Original Song" for You've Got a Friend in Me.

In 2005, the United States National Film Registry selected Toy Story to be in preservation.

In 2008, Disney made a live-action stage musical of the movie that Lasseter came in to help, with 6 original songs, along with You've Got a Friend in Me, that could only be seen in the Disney Cruise Line's Disney Wonder.

In addition to home media and theatrical re-releases, Toy Story-inspired material includes toys, video games, theme park attractions, spin-offs, merchandise, and three sequels, all of which garnered critical and commercial success.

A spin-off TV series called Buzz Lightyear of Star Command aired from 2000 to 2001, starting with a direct-to-video film, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins.

And for our next poll:

The Incredibles = :rainbowdetermined2:

OR

Dinosaur = :flutterrage:

I remember watching Toy Story for the first time and believing that my toys came to life as soon as I left the room or went to sleep. My mom made me believe it even more when she re-arranged my toys literally every time I slept. This went on for like, 3 years.

Anyways, I vote for :rainbowdetermined2:

Pixar had truly caught their brightest star with this film and kicked off a media revolution thatā€™s still continues today

:flutterrage:

I've never heard of Dinosaur, so I'm curious as to what it is.

Also, I have a VHS movie of an animated Buzz Lightyear, I can't remember what it's called though.

One of the first movies I saw in my life, if not the first. My dad says that I used to cosplay as buzz lightyear and beg him to carry me so I could pretend I could fly.

I saw some of the other deleted footage, even thou I find it more funny than the final product I think the final version is better, the original had a lot do dark humor with things like ā€œwhat harm could have we done? Just screw him up for the rest of his lifeā€ funny but mean spirited and I understand perfectly why the creators didnā€™t went on that direction.

I saw the 2 and the 3, neither of them really made an impact on me like the first, I fact if you ask me anything about the other 2 movies you would find that i donā€™t remember almost anything. I didnā€™t even bother to check the 4 movie

Is weird, I have the original movie on high regard but the rest I simply donā€™t find any interest, is not that I dislike them. I simply find them meh.

:rainbowdetermined2:

23 KM To Nerdiness
Group Admin

A Disney film from 2000. Flawed, yes, but it's pretty underrated.

This is tied with The Lion King as my favorite childhood movie.

Also, :rainbowdetermined2:

OH! I haven't seen the movie, but I have seen bits and pieces. Thanks for the reminder!

Also, my personal favorite Toy Story movie was tied between two and four

Toy Story is a movie that changed animation movies forever and the one that made Pixar famous.

Incredibles. I remember watching Toy Story via VHS, even had the game on the N64. Also, Tim Allen is a damned good actor

23 KM To Nerdiness
Group Admin

Use the emoji for the vote to count :derpytongue2:

The Incredibles

But as an animation experiment it was unique for the time. I remember when McDonald's had toys for it. They had this full hand puppet of the main dinosaur. It looked kinda freaky but it was fun to play with.

all that said: :rainbowdetermined2:
I hope you mention the OG opening with Bob 'cutting his hand'.

I can't even count how many times I've watched Toy Stories 2 and 3. I like all of them, but those two were the ones I just couldn't stop replaying.

1: go with dinosaur.
2: Iā€™ve always wanted to ā€œmashā€ mr. potato head.

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Toy Story is indeed a classic feature film. Without this movie, Pixar would barely be off the map. Course, up till then, they've done shorts previously but most of which we never would've heard of until the Internet served it's purpose by telling us of their earliest works. But more than that, this lead to one of the most successful franchises in history and growing up I used to play the 'Storybook' game based on the movie (So many fun moments, like having Buzz dance like a ballerina).

If there's one thing that does get a bit frustrating is never being able to get on that one ride at Disney Studios because the lines are just so crazy.

Emoji to count, remember?
I pick :rainbowdetermined2:, but Iā€™ve decided to find Dinosaur and watch it

Dramamaster829
Group Admin

Who would've guessed that years after this first movie, when Pixar started making 'all' the other films within a span of a few years, the whole 'Pixar Theory' would slowly start to evolve? And all because of the numerous Easter Eggs that would pop up in almost every movie.

I know, right? Even I believe the Pixar movies are somehow connected between each others. Simply amazing.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 32