Flashfic 253 members · 77 stories
Comments ( 45 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 45
Loganberry
Group Admin

The shortest month of the year is upon us. It's a leap year, so February is a day longer than usual, but you still get the normal three weeks to submit an entry into FF150. If you want to include some reference to leap years in your fic you are welcome to do so, but it won't affect the judging. Think of it as an unofficial optional challenge, if you like! Again, though, you do not need to touch on that at all. The prompt is the important part. As always:

Here are the full rules.
Please use this word counter.

You'll note that Rule 6 accommodates G5 entries. Since this means that an active generation is permitted, please bear in mind Rule 9 on spoilers. As always, comments are welcome in the relevant thread.

Remember, there is no prize, as such, for this contest -- but if you win, you will be able to choose the prompt for the next contest. You'll also get a mention on the group's front page. It's even possible that I may not make a hash of the formatting, though that's probably a case of trusting hope over experience! Anyway:

Prompt: "Here's the Plan" (selected by FigurativelyFluffy)
Rating: E or T
Word limit: 150
Closing date: Wednesday 21st February 2024, 11:59 pm UK time (world clock)

Please reply to this post with your entry. This makes it easier for me to keep track. Please do not leave feedback until after the closing date.

Entries are now open! Have fun! :twilightsmile:

Scootaloo's First Flight

“Sweetie Belle, it’s time we face the facts,” Scootaloo broke the silence. “Nopony will find us in this abandoned well and we won’t be able to save ourselves as we are. I can’t lift all my weight with these small wings, and you don’t know any spell that could get us out.”

“How’s rubbing it in going to help us?” Sweetie Belle sighed.

Scootaloo played with Sweetie Belle's legs, “I never thought that pony’s legs were so heavy.”

“How’s calling me fat going to help us?”

“And everypony has four of them…”

Sweetie Belle scoffed, “I guess that makes you fat as well.”

Scootaloo nodded. “Remember that time at Twilight’s time when Princess taught you that horn-laser cutting spell? You managed to cut down a whole tree.”

“I can’t cut through rocks if that’s what you’re thinking.”

“Not through rocks…” Scootaloo clenched her teeth. “Through bone!”

Because it’s a leap year, I decided to balance things out and make it a word shorter.

A Party Plan Fail

“So, you’ll pull my tail-“

“And I’m out of here.”

“Wait! Don’t you wanna throw the best party ever?”

A moment of silence. Then a sigh, “Yeah…”

“Then you’re gonna have to pull my tail when she’s in place,” she paused for a moment, “Well, my robot’s tail anyway. That’s gonna activate the ‘Surprise Party’ function.”

Whooves raised an eyebrow at that, “You have a robot duplicate?”

“You don’t?”

“…Touché, Miss Pie.”

“Threeshay back at ya! Then the robot’s gonna unfold into a party cannon and rain down confetti and cupcakes everywhere, and it’s GONNA BE SO AWES- !”

Whooves put a hoof to her muzzle while looking around, “Shhh! We can’t let her hear about this!”

“Let who hear about what?”

He flinched back as he whirled around to see Derpy standing behind him.

“Hello!” she greeted.

He felt a nudge on his back.

“Pssst! Pull my tail!”

The room spun. Too many faces. Too many ponies. Fluttershy's chest tightened. She couldn't breathe! Why couldn't her chest--?

A hoof brushed against hers. Only in her sensitivity did Fluttershy notice. Wide eyes turned to meet Twilight's gentle smile.

"Hey. I'm here," she whispered. "This party's a little much, huh?"

Fluttershy nodded.

"Sooo, you should probably go. And I think I've caught something, too." Twilight gave a little cough. It wasn't very convincing, and Fluttershy raised an eyebrow.

"So how about this? We get out of here. We go home. We bundle up in way too many blankets. You cozy up next to me, just to warm me up, of course. We read a nice book together, we have some soup to warm up. And we spend the evening, just us together. Okay?"

Fluttershy perked up, nuzzling into Twilight's neck. "That sounds wonderful," she said.

Leeroy

"Okay, here's the plan."

Then there was several seconds of silence.

All five of the girls stared at Rainbow Dash expectantly, and still nothing was said. Finally, Twilight spoke up. "And that plan is what?"

"That's the plan," Dash stated with firm conviction.

A few more seconds of silence.

"You aren't saying anything, Dash." Twilight could feel the headache building behind her horn.

"Exactly! He'll never see the plan coming if there is no plan!"

And then Rainbow Dash took off like a bullet towards the giant crystal robot Sombra was piloting to attack Canterlot.

They all stared.

Applejack was the first to react. "Oh my Celestia, she just ran in."

Then began the mad scramble to save Rainbow Dash from herself.

In the month of depression love, and my sister is no longer using holidays to see her boyfriend, but now just the two day weekends.

Ever feel like something terrible wonderful is just about to happen?

The Constructs of Relationships

"After the movie, head to the diner down the street. Make sure it's the second diner, the first one has bad reviews and would likely ruin the evening. I suggest distracting him as you go by it by flipping your hair or batting your eyelashes."

"This planning isn't necessary."

"Isn't necessary!? Sunset, who's the Queen of Planning around here?

"For parties, but this is a date."

"Rutabaga, onion, same thing."

"Pinkie, a date is meant to be casual. Nothing fancy, nothing romantic, just a period of spending time together. Where it goes is anyone's guess, but trying to impress someone will result in complete disappointment. Honestly, I feel like I'm the maturest one amongst everyone sometimes."

"Well... if things happen to get steamy between you two, make sure he at least wears this."

"...Pinkie, ...this is a latex glove."

"Don't let it tempt you. Handholding is meant to be sacred!"

I'm glad to be participating early this month. This was fun to write. I considered doing something fancy with the ellipsis, but decided against it.

I had to add a word to the ellipsis after the fact, to get both word counters to agree.

A purple unicorn was drawing a complicated collection of words and diagrams on a chalkboard, shifting her weight from side-to-side whenever she wasn’t walking around to adjust the dust. “So, once he graduates from Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns, he can take on an apprenticeship. I’d take him under myself, but that would never be allowed.” Spike mumbled something and chuckled, but she was ignoring him.

“Then, he can get a job from her...” It all blurred together, and Spike shook his head to avoid passing out. “Uh, Twilight?”

“Yes Spike?” Spike stood, walking to spare her the effort. “Shouldn’t you at least wait until he’s born to plan for all of this?” Spike poked him for emphasis.

“Quit it.” Her magic swatted away his claw.

“What if he’s not a unicorn?” Twilight gave him a sombre glare. “That’s why there’s a decision matrix, Spike. Now help me.”

Spike groaned.

The early military career of Shining Armor, officer and gentlecolt of the 4th Regiment of Hoof, the Trottingham Foresters.

For the Good of the Service

“That’s a…...bold plan, Leftenant.” The grizzled Sargent hedged his words cautiously.

Shining Armor huffed as a huge crossbow bolt clattered over the stone parapet. “I knew you wouldn’t like it!”

“No sir! It’s a plan that upholds the best traditions of the regiment.”

“Suicide, slaughter and general mayhem.” Autumn Leaves, the company medic, muttered as she bandaged Shining Armor’s wounded leg.

Another bolt flew over the wall, ricocheted in a shower of shrapnel and a pony down in the courtyard howled in pain.

“One more for me.” She moaned and dashed for the lower levels.

“Incoming!” A lookout cried, pointing his lance straight up.

Shining Armor’s horn ignited, a shield formed over the top of the fortified tower, just in time to deflect the shower of missiles plunging form above. “Was wondering how long it would take them to work that one out.”

“Bloody Minotaurs, bloody officers!” The Sargent muttered.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Three days to go if you want to enter!

The Powerfullest of Plans

“And just what is the plan? Well, Trixie will tell you what the plan is! It is intricate! It is cunning. It is a plan that will blow your tiny mind! For, as you can plainly see, the Great and Powerful Trixie does not settle for merely any meagre, simple plan. A plan must be well-considered! A plan must be foolproof! And thus Trixie did not conceive of her grand plan lightly, for that would be a fool’s errand. A good plan, after all, is much like one of Trixie’s magic tricks, which, Trixie might add, you can see later this week at the main stage in Appleloosa, where Trixie will be debuting her latest and greatest—"

Twilight let out an agonized groan. “Trixie, while you were blathering on and on, I came up with a real plan. Let’s go.”

The magician smirked. “And thus Trixie’s true plan is accomplished.”

How Filthy Rich got his Cutie Mark

"Wasn't it by wholesaling Zap Apples?" Tiara asked.

Filthy shook his head, "The Everfree Forest... It used to show things to ponies.

"...It was almost Zap Apple Season. I was a loser: no money, no cutie mark. I was walking far away from Ponyville. When I felt the Everfree call me—Deep into her woods...

"Well it was night when the howling of timberwolves scared me into a cave. There wasn't a way out, so I wandered further in. For miles. 'Till I found it. A crystal pool, filled with rainbow water." Filthy adjusted his tie the same way he did before he talked to Momma. "The plan, the grand design of the out world was in that pool, Tiara. But it was too much, loke collecting every raindrop in a storm. The fragment I remember is this: in the end, Everything's merchandise.

"And that's when I realized. My special talent."

Is this still open?

Loganberry
Group Admin

Yes. As it says in the first post, the deadline is 11:59pm UK time on the 21st, ie tomorrow.

I won’t have time to write a story by tomorrow.

I have so many other stories to do.

Twilight took Rainbow Dash's surprisingly wise advice and breathed calmly, feeling at ease under her supportive friend's wing.

"Now. Look me in the eyes. Do you trust me?"

"Yes."

"Are you ready?"

"Yes."

"Alright. Here's the plan."

"Okay."

She vaguely motioned over to Rarity. "You go over there right now and tell her how you feel."

"I'm lightheaded."

"Twi- Holy shit!"

Just a hundred and fifty words. But if you really don’t have the time, there’s always next month.

Ok, but why my comment get so many down votes?

Feared and Loved

"Once I have replaced Princess Cadance, we'll fake a threat against Canterlot, forcing them to reveal their defenses. With my position, it will be trivial to sabotage them, after which the hive will strike and feast. Questions?"
A changeling raised a trembling leg. "Your majesty, the plan seems risky. If it fails, not only will we have exposed ourselves; we'll also have angered the most powerful being in-"
There was a crunch of cracking exoskeleton; the changeling knew better than to scream.
"I assure you," said Chrysalis, "there is no such thing as a plan whose failure will not anger me. I trust you have no further objections."
In response there was only silence.

Loganberry
Group Admin

7932182 7932293 7932331 7932424 7933916 7934878 7935917 7939017 7939453 7939805 7939878

Time's up, everyone!

Thank you as always to everyone who wrote something for this. :twilightsmile: As always, I'll ponder on these fics for a while and then give my results post near the end of the month.

Feedback is open!

Heal Thyself

"We do not approve of this, physician!" Princess Luna growled, her bodies ticks telling me more than the mares mouth ever could or would.

She knew it was necessary, believed me implicitly, even. The infuriating Alicorn just didn't want to *do* it, though.

"As your therapist-" I said softly, voice still audible in my temporary office within Canterlot Castle, "-I think it'll be good for you. Focus on the here and now, not some 'wider destiny', you'll also get to reconnect with your- "

"Yes, yes, the serfs."

"Subjects…" I whined, having already warned her several times in the past. If her eyes rolled any harder, they'd have shot out of her sockets by now.

She hummed from a moment, before her face became a familiar scowl.

"Can I merely not have the turf brought to me? It's certainly within the royal peroga-why are you laughing? You said 'Touch grass', no?"

I think some people may have found the choice of words… Instigative. It might sound more like complaining than anything else.

There is a greater amount of downvoting this month.

Welp, I started reading through the thread, and I decided not to resist making a round of comments and critiques! Much to the chagrin of my homework, here is what I have to say.

Coming into the fic, I was half expecting some weird scootaloo x sweetie bell thing. I was very surprised when I found out why Scootaloo was actually thinking about legs. I appreciate the dark humor, and the idea that Scootaloo could trade legs for flight.

This might be an interesting fic to expand to explore the psychological aspects of two children stuck in a well and just how they became convinced they'd never be found.

Very sweet of you, Dr. Hooves. :twistnerd:

This one seems a little unfocused? It is a little bit humorous, but I don't think it has a terribly good payoff?

I think actually showing the plan helps this one feel much more connected to the prompt. I think Twilight's plan to canoodle leaves this fic with a certain energy which I imagine would be pretty nice if you like... uh, Twishy? Fluttertwi?

Strategic genius. What a mad lad!

I enjoy this one. It's very character driven and efficient. The line "...save Rainbow Dash from herself" makes it 10x better for me.

Was this just a spontaneous idea, or did you come up with other ones before you came up with it?

Hah! The gag at the end was funny.

The first three lines I had trouble hearing in character. They don't quite fit for me. It was not difficult to figure out who was talking after the fourth line, but still I thought I'd bring it up. One thing about Pinkie is that she often speaks very fast. So if you make her sentences shorter, (basically add more periods.), the syntax gets broken up. Then she sounds fast!

Also these days, I see a lot more nitrile gloves than latex (I'm sorry). Good work!

This one just makes me want give it an editorial pass to straighten things up.

Excellent diction on this one! I think this is a petty solid vingette. :rainbowdetermined2:

Good try! On reread, this seems like you tried to fit a little too much in, and it came out a little clunky. Also, "loke." It is supposed to be "like." Not sure that Filthy really feels super in character? Feels more like he is just doing what the author needs him to? If anyone else would provide feedback, that would be cool!

Go get her, Twi!

I think who is speaking and who is doing what could use a little more clarification.

the changeling knew better than to scream

This is peak content! :rainbowlaugh:

One thing, the thing that Chrysalis says at the end, I might be a little clearer if "me" were bolded and underlined. But I am probably just slower to come to understanding.

I like this exploration of residually old Luna! Ind4 hon mesh.

Was this just a spontaneous idea, or did you come up with other ones before you came up with it?

I'm supposed to think about things before I write them?

Thanks for the suggestion! I don't think the added emphasis on 'me' would quite match what I was going for - the idea with that line is that Chrysalis is responding as though 'the most powerful being' the other changeling referred to was herself (because no changeling should dare to suggest that Chrysalis isn't the most powerful), and adding emphasis to 'me' turns it into a more straightforward correction. I was pretty proud of 'the changeling knew better than to scream', so I'm glad that landed well with you.

Also these days, I see a lot more nitrile gloves than latex (I'm sorry). Good work!

Nitrile is more protective, but since the glove was intended to be a child-like spin of a condom, I turned to Trojan's product for guidance. They state that it's latex, so... pleasure over protection.

This one just makes me want give it an editorial pass to straighten things up.

I only had 150 words to use. I'm curious what you would change.

The big issue is you've got several spots where there's a change of speaker with no corresponding paragraph break.
There's also some slightly odd use of the imperfect ('Spike mumbled something and chuckled, but she was ignoring him' should probably be 'but she ignored him'; 'a purple unicorn was drawing' would flow more naturally as 'Twilight drew', but isn't strictly incorrect).

The big issue is you've got several spots where there's a change of speaker with no corresponding paragraph break.

I dislike the tendency to always change paragraphs when the speaker changes, and intentionally don't. It's unambiguous either way.

There's also some slightly odd use of the imperfect ('Spike mumbled something and chuckled, but she was ignoring him' should probably be 'but she ignored him'

I had to carve it down to exactly the word limit. I see your point, but it's not incorrect.

'a purple unicorn was drawing' would flow more naturally as 'Twilight drew', but isn't strictly incorrect).

That's also intentional. In this contest of very short stories, I take pride in using more words than necessary to point out that Twilight Sparkle is a unicorn.

Thank you for the notes.

'Canoodle' feels like a bit more, uh... charged of a word than the cozy energy I was trying to convey. It probably would have benefitted from more context than I budgeted in the word count. My thought was that Twilight is someone who shows up to social gatherings out of obligation, but spends a good deal of time thinking of excuses to leave early if she gets the chance. I considered making it about early-show Twilight talking to Spike about faking sick so she could go back to her studies, but I thought it was cuter if I made it about her comforting an anxious Fluttershy and laying out a plan of just about the cuddliest evening ever. I probably default to shipping more than I should.

Very sweet of you, Dr. Hooves. :twistnerd:

This one seems a little unfocused? It is a little bit humorous, but I don't think it has a terribly good payoff?

I can see what you mean. It’s definitely not one of my best jokes.

I suppose I could have changed some things to make it the ‘Surprise Date’ function instead of a Surprise Party to make it better. Tried to make it seem like Pinkie uses her robot duplicates a lot for conversations and the like, as well as to be prepared for any party eventuality.

I feel like this is a tough one to make work in the flashfic format - the premise takes up enough of the wordcount that you don't really have time to explore the implications (how does knowing that everything's merchandise translate into success for Filthy, what does it do to his worldview/interactions with other ponies/etc, what do other ponies hold onto from their visions, and so forth), so the story as-is ends up feeling pretty incomplete to me. It did feel like a good starting point for a longer fic, and I liked the sort of fairy-tale feel of Filthy's journey a lot.

I definitely prefer the surprise date idea, that would be very cute! I did pick up on the Pinkie using doubles thing. Looking back, I'd also clarify who Whooves is the first time he speaks?

*cries in lesser author*

I dislike the tendency to always change paragraphs when the speaker changes, and intentionally don't.

I really just want you to know that you should understand that the vast majority of readers need the paragraph to change when the speaker changes. By not putting paragraph breaks between new speakers, you will be alienating readers in this group. edit: or me at least.

I really just want you to know that you should understand that the vast majority of readers need the paragraph to change when the speaker changes. By not putting paragraph breaks between new speakers, you will be alienating readers in this group. edit: or me at least.

Alright, I understand. I'll try to keep this in mind for the future, but no promises. After a review, this is my first flashfic with this quality; of those with dialogue, most have only one speaker, and the only prior one with multiple speakers has paragraph breaks when the speaker changes, by happenstance. So, it shouldn't be too difficult to take this into account from now on.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Not results time yet (that should be Tuesday evening UK time, all being well) but popping in to address a couple of points:

I'm supposed to think about things before I write them?

Can confirm this is not a rules requirement. :rainbowwild:

There's also some slightly odd use of the imperfect ('Spike mumbled something and chuckled, but she was ignoring him' should probably be 'but she ignored him'

This is an interesting one. I'd probably use both of those forms, but in subtly different ways, with the "but she was ignoring him" option feeling to me as though there's a gentle implication that this isn't the first time she's done that; an audio narrator (taking Spike's side) might speak it with a slightly resigned air and with an unspoken but implied "...again" at the end. The other option feels more neutral and un-loaded, so to speak.

I dislike the tendency to always change paragraphs when the speaker changes, and intentionally don't.

I do note that you and Merallakos have already had an exchange about this. But from my point of view, that comes across a little like someone who's used to how some people write in social media chat (barely any capitals, no full stops at the end of paras, etc) doing the same here because they dislike the tendency to capitalise and add full stops. To be clear, doing it the way you mention there is not against the rules, but it is non-standard English and will definitely stand out. Sometimes you want to do something unusual for deliberate effect, of course.

Feedback remains open, naturally.

I do note that you and Merallakos have already had an exchange about this.

Neat. I'd forgotten.

But from my point of view, that comes across a little like someone who's used to how some people write in social media chat (barely any capitals, no full stops at the end of paras, etc) doing the same here because they dislike the tendency to capitalise and add full stops.

I'd liken it more to the Oxford comma and, even though the Oxford comma is correct, it's a good example of how people disagree about fundamentals. I'm usually a stickler for the rules, when it comes to language, but I just don't feel as strongly about this rule. I think it's probably tied to how I like to reduce dialogue in general, but dialogue tends to come in chunks. I hate small paragraphs.

I just checked the Oxford dictionary I keep on my desk, and it unfortunately had nothing to write on the matter, which I found.

Loganberry
Group Admin

Neat. I'd forgotten.

Heh. :rainbowwild: I wrote the first bit more as a courtesy to you, in the sense of "I haven't just posted this without bothering to read your earlier comments", that's all. :twilightsmile:

I'd liken it more to the Oxford comma and, even though the Oxford comma is correct, it's a good example of how people disagree about fundamentals.

I see a difference there, in that there's a significant Transatlantic divide on the Oxford comma, and here (the UK) it's very much a minority usage -- other than Oxford University Press itself,¹ few British style guides outright mandate/recommend its use. (As it happens, "-ise"/"-ize" is similar: the Z form is no longer even used by The Times.) Starting a new para for a new speaker, though, is standard practice on both sides of the Pond.

¹ But not, strangely -- or at least not always -- the University of Oxford! Its own Style Guide (PDF) says: "Note that there is no comma between the penultimate item in a list and ‘and’/‘or’, unless required to prevent ambiguity – this is sometimes referred to as the ‘Oxford comma’. However, always insert a comma in this position if it would help prevent confusion."

Edit: I'll just make clear that I am not having An Argument On The Internet here. Just waffling vaguely, as is my wont. :pinkiehappy:

I see a difference there, in that there's a significant Transatlantic divide on the Oxford comma, and here (the UK) it's very much a minority usage

Fascinating. I had no clue about that.

Starting a new para for a new speaker, though, is standard practice on both sides of the Pond.

Maybe I should start doing it just because I keep getting notes about this, but I'd be curious to see any style guide that recommends this. I've never found one.

From Strunk & White's Elements of Style:

In dialogue, each speech, even if only a single word, is a paragraph by itself; that is, a new paragraph begins with each change of speaker. The application of this rule, when dialogue and narrative are combined, is best learned from examples in wellprinted works of fiction.

From The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition:

Direct discourse or dialogue is traditionally enclosed in quotation marks. A change in speaker is usually indicated by a new paragraph, as in the following excerpt from Huckleberry Finn:
"Ransomed? What's that?"
"I don't know. But that's what they do. I've seen it in books; and so of course that's what we've got to do." "But how can we do it if we don't know what it is?"
"Why, blame it all, we've got to do it. Don't I tell you it's in the books? Do you want to go to doing
different from what's in the books, and get things all muddled up?"
If one speech (usually a particularly long one) occupies more than a paragraph, opening quotation marks are needed at the beginning of each new paragraph, with a closing quotation mark placed at the end of only the final paragraph (see also 13.30).

From the fimfiction.net writing guide:

The most important rule of dialogue is this:

New speaker, new paragraph.

For example:

Darn, I guess I have to concede. I really dislike this, so it'll be rule number #1 to break, when breaking rules, but I guess I can make a bigger effort to reflow my stories in-progress to adhere to it.

Loganberry
Group Admin

7932182 7932293 7932331 7932424 7933916 7934878 7935917 7939017 7939453 7939805 7939878

All right, it's results time! By now, you can probably fill in the blanks yourselves when it comes to the "really tough judging decision, blah blah blah" stuff. In my defence, it is -- yet again -- true this time around! I found this month's batch very enjoyable reading. Thank you!

Hon mensh 1: Somerset Cider -- This one amused me. It reminded me a little of the Flashman Pony parodies written by Tumbleweed. Could do with a little proofread (eg "lieutenant" is spelt the same on both sides of the Atlantic, despite the different pronunciations) but the blend of action and humour was appealing.
Hon mensh 2: Gettier Case -- A very different feel to this short, and like others I was struck by "the changeling knew better than to scream". This all feels very Chrysalis, and since I generally consider her the best villain in the show this brings no complaints from me!
Winner: TCC56 -- Judging by the upvote count, my feelings about this one are in line with many others' -- which isn't always the case here, I know! This is just all-round great, fitting in very nice character work, a gratuitous giant crystal robot and some excellent humour -- especially that last line.

Well done to all of you! TCC56, if you'd please provide a prompt for the March contest, that would be great. And you and everyone else, thank you so much for putting in the time and effort this month. :yay:

Woo hoo! (And talk about timing, I just happened to come by the site and saw the notification 38 seconds after you posted it!)

And I actually had a prompt in mind, too!

The Most Devastating Insult

Loganberry
Group Admin

Excellent; thanks! Sounds like it could be a fun month.

I've already got something in mind for it.

The March prompt for the flashfics is live if you’re still interested in trying.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 45